SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarahleon

Design help for tiny kitchen - another set of eyes

sarahleon
4 years ago

I am planning a remodel for my very tiny, very old kitchen (original to the 1986 house). The list of problems in the current kitchen are extensive: Faulty electrical, leaking plumbing, damaged floor, dark wood cabinets that are long past their day, the least countertop space of any kitchen we've ever lived with, very little storage, extreme lack of light, and a generally claustrophobic feeling. So we want to solve all of those things. We are staying exactly in the footprint of the current kitchen because that's what we've got to work with.

INFO

- This is going to be an IKEA kitchen for many reasons: Simple modern lines, optimized interior storage space, value for the price, easy to plan.

- The house is a very small starter home, it has no charm, it's at the low end of the market for our area. I'm trying to get the most functional and attractive kitchen that is reasonable for this home.

- My plan makes the kitchen very slightly bigger by taking down some interior walls which currently enclose a closet, fireplace, and utilities. Because the kitchen isn't obstructed by those walls it gets a few inches of space. But most of the space gain goes to our (also extremely tiny) living room. So this is as big as the kitchen can get. A neighbor down the street took down these same interior walls and it looks so much better and more spacious, although it's only about 40 square feet more, actually.

- All the lower cabinets are going to be drawers.

- The plan currently has very few upper cabinets in order to give the whole room more breathing space.

- No island, rather there is a peninsula. Accommodating an island is just not possible if I also want to have room for a dining table.

- The new sink is smaller than some people might choose but I am comfortable with it. I'd rather have more counter space than a giant sink. The sink is almost exactly in the same spot, an inch or so moved over.

- My husband and I are avid cooks (he cooks, I bake, we also have a teen daughter who bakes). So functionality is absolutely critical. My "baking zone" is in the peninsula next to the wall. I plan to have most of my equipment in the drawers there, and ingredients and appliances in the wall cabinet.

- The space has a vaulted ceiling so while it's 8 feet walls at the perimeter, it goes up to around 11 feet in the center of the room. Thus, the new design has some taller cabinets.

QUESTIONS

- Do you see any potential problems with function? Yes, the work triangle is tight, but it's actually better than the original, yikes.

- Do you see any potential problems with spacing or obstacles? I've left 2 inches of room next to walls but I want to make sure there aren't any issues.

- I've placed the microwave in a lower cabinet between the stove and fridge. Problems? It's there because I don't want to see it when I look in the kitchen, and I also don't want to waste counter space on it, and I think it will be convenient to my baking zone.

NEW PLAN OVERHEAD

ORIGINAL OVERHEAD

NEW FROM LIVING ROOM

ORIGINAL FROM LIVING ROOM

NEW FROM DINING AREA

ORIGINAL FROM DINING AREA

Comments (19)