SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quinnsjoblom86

estimated cost increase for foundation like this?

quinnsjoblom86
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I posted recently about a build on a budget for my family of 3 with living space for mother. Getiing good advice on that, but theres another possible build site i want to look into. The original lot i posted about is an upward slope. most likely i would build a forward facing 650ft walkout basement next to garage with an upper floor of roughly 1000ft. This would be a pretty efficient build as it would only have roughly 1000ft of foundation and roof. A couple possible complications with that one are a restriction of no 2 story houses and also only one family residences allowed. My layout with moms separate living space in walkout is kind of pushing both those restrictions.

So theres another lot, closer to town than the first. Probably 50 bucks a month less in gas, also the lot is 3k cheaper. Another added bonus is r4 zoning which means i could build an actual stacked duplex if i wanted. No restriction issues with separate space for mom, even possibly rent out her space down the road. Heres the downside, the lot starts sloping down from the curb at about 20% grade all the way down. Basically this means pretty much no digging and all fill. Not only that, it would most likely need to be laid out in a way that the garage is in front close to curb with 2 level living space behind. This means the foundation and roof grows to more like 1450ft instead of the 1000ft in previous design. Also its a little harder to offset the spaces. If i need 1000ft of space for my family, it wouldnt make much sense to reduce the other floor to the 650 mom needs. One way would be to have 1000ft walkout in the bottom for us, and only 650 up top for mom with a stepped in upper floor, but it probably doesnt save a ton of money vs just having 2 1000ft floors. Either way its 1450ft of foundation and roof. Another option is doing both floors 1000ft with mom down in the walkout, but only finish 650ft of the walkout basement at first to reduce the construction loan amount. This could possibly give the option of finishing out more of that space later out of pocket. Another advantage of this layout is that the walkout is at the back of the house like it should be rather than the backwards layout of the forward facing walkout that i would need to do on original lot

So the question is, what would be an estimated cost increase of building on this downward sloped lot instead of the original upward slope? My builder does a decent amount of excavation, so maybe something can be worked out to bring in all that fill from another sites waste, but lets just assume i have to buy the fill. I think it needs to be a specific kind for structural fill anyway. The listing for this lot conveniently has a floorplan example that looks about how i would do it. ill attach the pic. Only option i can see to possibly reduce foundation cost a bit is to drop the whole thing down a couple feet and live with a little more driveway slope, but we get plenty of winter here, so sliding into my garage with my car would be a concern when its icy. Cant pull the house closer to curb, already at minimum setback allowed. Also i had my agent look into possibility of moving driveway to road at bottom to cut house into hill rather than filling it up, but its not an option, easement for trail there. So anyway, roughly how much extra cost am i looking at for this layout with all the fill plus extra footprint vs the original with less footprint and cut into hill?

just occurred to me, lower level on this one isnt actually a basement since its above grade. I guess one possible option is leaving garage where it is and dropping both floors a bit with bottom corner below grade. Not sure if that saves money, a bit of digging and less fill

Comments (7)