SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michael_l4

Water Polyurethane Hardwood Floors Scratching RIDICULOUSLY easy!!!!

Michael L
4 years ago

This one can only be described as a nightmare. Had my entire hardwood floors replaced 2 weeks ago. Had a sealant applied and then according tot the contractor 3 coats of the water based poly. The floors looked beautiful. My furniture came back in as did I after almost a week out of my place.

After a good few days I began noticing something. This floor was scratching, EASILY. I almost had a heart attack after noticing the first area of all sorts of light scratches. We aren't just talking one here. We're talking several. Whether from walking with sneakers or shoes of mine or me pushing my chair around slightly, I was in shock. A couple days later, a new spot discovered. Same story. I even finally did a test with a can of soup. Glazed it across the finish and boom, scratched instantly.

What on EARTH is going on here? I've been told that polyurethane takes a good 30 days to "fully cure" but this is surreal. It hasn't even been one week and there are portions of my hardwood that look horrific. I can only imagine what it may look like in a few months under all sorts of other well lit spots. Did the floor guys apply the finish wrong??? Not wait long enough in between coats??? Please help!

Comments (27)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH