To US RP'ers . . .
6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (25)
- 6 years ago
Related Discussions
What books have RPers put you onto?
Comments (28)Virtually all of the books I have read in the last few years have been recommended here. Just a few stand-outs, ones I certainly would not have discovered on my own: The Far Pavillions - M.M. Kaye Angle of Repose - Wallace Stegner Cloud Atlas - I had tried to read it, put it down as inpenetrable, tried again for a discussion here and now it one of my all-time favorites Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - like many people, I was not going to read it because of the hopelessly twee title. Have read it twice and am busy looking up the many literary references in this beautiful work. Harry Potter series - another work I wouldn't have read if RP hadn't liked it. Just about everything by George MacDonald Fraser, particularly his MacAuslan stories PG Wodehouse - his work needs no commentary from me! A great deal of poetry that has been posted over the years Paul Gallico - I would not have run across his work on my own. I'm sure I'm leaving out a lot of great stuff. It's fun to think back and remember....See MoreEnglish Food Question
Comments (74)We have a similar organisation, the Country Women's Association, which started as a mutual support group for women who often lived fairly isolated existences as they helped their husbands run farms (which tend to be larger and further apart than US and European farms). A typical smaller farm is about 300 acres, where I live they run 2000-3000 acres and up north we're talking square miles. Often the wives only visited town on a weekly, fortnightly or monthly basis, and the CWA provided a place where the women could meet, have a cup of tea and a bite of lunch, and rest in between racketing around the shops (and stay while hubby visited the pub, a men-only preserve then). The CWA brought out a cookbook full of tried and true recipes and household hints, which they have continues to update and reissue oer the years. I think it would be a rare household in Australia which doesn't have a copy of The CWA Cook Book lurking somewhere! Now the CWA is in the forefront of organising drought relief, projects to assist babies and children both here and overseas, and heaps of other activities, in addition to the traditional mutual support and teaching activities. There is a documentary on them at the moment being screened on TV, called Not all Tea and Scones, which is quite an appropriate title :-)....See MoreThe Importance of a Good Title
Comments (57)Liz's post on the May thread reminded me that I had the hardest time with remembering Levy's Small Island for a book club. I normally have an excellent memory - though not that of my younger days - and I simply could not remember either the title of the book or the author when I went to the book store. I must have checked the email 6 times before I finally wrote myself a note to take with me to the booksellers. Not a good title perhaps, but I loved the book. My introduction to James Lee Burke was In the Electric Mist with a Confederate General at the library. How could I pass up such a title? I'm embarrassed to admit, but my first Elizabeth Peter's novel, picked up purely for the title, was Naked at Lunch. I agree that Zelazny had some excellent titles - the Short story A Rose for Ecclesiastes is a favorite. How about Stone's titles? The Agony and the Ecstasy is good. For Whom the Bell Tolls Freeman Dyson's Disturbing the Universe M.F.K. Fisher's book about cooking during WWII food rationing, How to Cook a Wolf Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by Berendt A good title is much more likely to pull me in than good cover art....See MoreRadio Drama
Comments (34)Hello Diana, Veer, Martin Z. -- Thank you for all your "listening" advice. Martin Z, your link was impeccable! -- Didn't have to attach any "fancy-schmancy" device (like Firefox, or whatever they call it). Sorry I haven't been visiting here for so long (since last Sunday). I was only online once this week...spent 3 hours looking for work on Internet... too tired afterwards. I felt bad when I came here today, and saw all your messages to me... followed by days without a response from me. It might've looked as if I'd lost interest; but here I am. I just had to post here now -- Just finished listening to all the rest (episodes 7 through 10). And I have to say -- the ending was beautifully done. Vic's soliloquy at the end is lovely advice. ... An ODD THING -- it's the same advice, worded almost the same way, too!, as a book I just finished reading (on finding Mr. Right). Again, Good Work, Diana! Your radio listener, laura...See More- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories


MOTHER’S DAYShow Us Your Mom’s Influence on Your Home
Maybe it’s a great chess set or a style philosophy. With Mother’s Day nearing, where do you see your mom in your space?
Full Story
OUTDOOR KITCHENSHouzz Call: Please Show Us Your Grill Setup
Gas or charcoal? Front and center or out of the way? We want to see how you barbecue at home
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: Stylish Desks for the Student in All of Us
Nicely sized and reasonably priced, these attractive desks are great for kids and grown-ups alike
Full Story
PETSHouzz Call: Show Us Your Pet Projects!
Bubble windows, fountains, doghouses, showers — what outdoor treats have you put together for your furry friends?
Full Story
LIFEYou Showed Us: 20 Nutty Home Fixes
We made the call for your Band-Aid solutions around the house, and you delivered. Here's how you are making what's broken work again
Full Story
Call for DIY Projects: Show Us What You've Got!
Share a Pic of Your Handiwork with the Houzz Community
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNShow Us Your Fabulous DIY Kitchen
Did you do a great job when you did it yourself? We want to see and hear about it
Full Story
PETSHouzz Call: Show Us Your Pet Lounging at Home by the Fire
Share a photo of your cat, dog or other pet taking in the holidays the way we aspire to
Full Story
yoyobon_gw