SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherrygirl5

M daylilies 2020

sherrygirl zone5 N il
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Let’s see your M daylilies today. One thing I learned with these postings is I need to take more photos this coming season, not enough good ones to choose from. On to the quote of the day: “Potatoes make French Fries, chips and vodka. It’s like the other vegetables aren’t even trying.”

Mary’s Baby is new to the garden, love it! It’s all your fault Maryl! A colorfast purple, yeah!

Moroccan Sunrise has been here a few seasons. It took a leap last summer.

Moonlit Masquerade is favorite earlier bloomer. I divided and moved this clump, neither skipped a beat. It’s an extended bloomer for me.

Magic Dancer has been a great grower in the two full seasons it’s been here. It’s a tall, late bloomer and has had proliferations.

Magic Lake does well in a less than ideal spot.

Mary Todd was the first daylily I bought in 1993. It’s been divided so many times. This clump was divided fall of 2018 and didn’t skip a beat. This bed is in my front yard next to the sidewalk and keeps the neighborhood leashed dogs from my more “precious“ daylilies.

Mysterious Eyes has done well here.

Mage Quest has done well. hmmm, this is my only good photo from this season.

Metaphor, my oldie that does pretty well with only a few hours of sun.

Sherry

Comments (39)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

Sherry: If your shot of Mary's Baby doesn't convince skeptics to buy it nothing will. It's a wonderful daylilly. I'm glad it does so well for you too............. I generally don't like white/eyed daylilies, but Moroccan Sunrise is a beautiful clump for you. Coincidently: My DH decided he wanted to try and make Moroccan Chicken tonight in the crock pot. Not our usual taste in food. Your Moroccan daylily turned out much the better of the two............Maryl

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

I agree, that is a great photo of Mary's Baby, I love mine so much. The 2 Magic daylilies are magical, love them both, and Moroccan Sunrise is lovely.

Magic Amethyst

Mal has not been doing as well the last couple of years, some Soloman's Seal is crowding it too much

Love Malaysian Marketplace

Malaysian Spice

Mapping Pennsylvania had its 1st full year and did so well

Margo Reed Indeed had an exceptional year

Marietta's Polkadot was on its 3rd year and was exceptional. This was its rebloom

Mary's Baby

Matt is an oldie, short but blooms heavily

Matthew Martin has so many different looks

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • Related Discussions

J daylilies 2020

Q

Comments (28)
    These Js are really hitting the spot! I will go through later and comment on all of yours when I have more time. Here's mine: Joan Derifield. It took a couple of years to get going, but now it blooms like crazy. Joan Senior, my whitest, reliable. Jolyene Nichole took 3 or 4 years to really get going; I almost got rid of it, but it does fine now. As you can see by the tag it took me awhile to learn to spell it! Judge Roy Bean Jack Sprat That's all for me. Will comment on yours later, quite busy now. Brad
    ...See More

P and Q daylilies 2020

Q

Comments (37)
    Brad: I think the plant you are referring to is Lythrum Salicaria "Morden's Pink". The species Lythrum is invasive in the wetlands, but the hybrid Morden's Pink has never shown any inclination to reseed or spread. Doesn't matter. The plant police have banned it along with the thug species Lythrum in many many states. Throwing the baby out with the bath water imo....... I wish mine would have reseeded a bit in the 30 years I've grown it. I can't find any new plants of Mordern's Pink locally or in mail order. However, I did see it listed for sale at a nursery in Kentucky once. Don't know if the nursery is around you, but it is named "Wallitsch". ............Maryl
    ...See More

Favorite Orange Daylilies of 2020

Q

Comments (39)
    I had full intentions of commenting on each individuals blooms but not sure how to do it when there are soooooo many beauties being shown . Some that stood out for me are Sherry's Peach Pizzazz, Gasping for Breath from LilyKate's garden , Celete's WALTER'S TANGO and Brad's noid really grabbed my attention ( love the shape of the bloom ) , Debra's Ethel Bucola , MaryL's Glowing Quasar ......I could go on and on but I would be here forever. Hoosier_Nan's Spirit of Halloween ....wow! Nancy's Parrots of the Caribbean
    ...See More

Favorite Eyed and Edged Daylilies of 2020

Q

Comments (29)
    Kate - Thanks for comment about the Karelia seedling! I need to give it more space to see if can get more buds. Last season is had 15 buds on one scape and 12 on the other. I think it could do better than that if not surrounded by taller seedlings. It did increase to five fans last season, so I'm looking forward to more scapes next year. If you want to post more eyed and edged daylilies, go ahead. Our friends didn't have many. That's why I went overboard - to make up the difference, or maybe I'm just greedy. When I first started collecting daylilies, the watermarked ones and the ones with eyes and edges were my favorites. I still like them a lot, although I no longer add many of them. Debra
    ...See More
  • Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

And still more

My Dog Barks, not sure it survived the drought in Sept

My Mama Thinks I am a Star, great daylily

Another photo of My Mama Thinks I am a Star, yes,I really like this one

Mystical Rainbow was outstanding last year

My Melinda is an oldie, it is a huge clump because no one wants it. Maybe because it is such a huge clump, but it stays in bloom for a long time in the summer

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    4 years ago

We grow Mary's Baby too. It's a great daylily.

Here are my M's.

Maynard Max was hybridized by a friend of ours. It's a nice toothy.

Magic Rises was a bonus and I'm not sure it is a keeper. It is interesting, though, as the the throat appears to be applique.

What I like about Margin of Error is that it has an eye with some toothiness.

Matthew Kaskel is a tall ruffled orange.

Max's Miracle is relatively new to the garden so we don't know how it will eventually perform.

Megillah is one I have never been fond of. It will leave the garden this spring in our downsizing efforts.

Melanie's Smile is a great daylily from Canada.

More to come . . .

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    4 years ago

Mema's Simone is a small-flowered daylily.

Mighty Chestnut is a great grower although its burnt orange color is not my favorite.

Mike Longo is a southern that has survived many years here. It has some of the fanciest flowers in the garden.

Morano is one of our Canadian flowers. I am not sure if I like it.

Moving Forward has some of the roundest flowers in the garden. It's a southern bred daylily that has done well here.

My Little Tea Set is one of my favorite small flowered tets. It's a great grower with lots of elegant little flowers.

More to come . . .

4 years ago

My Side of the Mountain is a great grower with fast increase.

Here is ours Mysterious Eyes.

I bought Natural Affinity because it is a bitone with an edge. However, the pink color is rather variable and not as intense as photos show. It is, however, a great grower.

I bought New Flame for 5 bucks, not even knowing what it looked like. It is sometimes splotchy and will leave the garden in our downsizing effort.

That's all for me.

Nancy

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nancy, my favorite of your today is Mississippi Man, so delicate looking. My Mal didn’t do well here, it died after two seasons, a shame. Margo Reed looks like it likes your area. Multiple Multiplications looks so interesting. I have Mr Skeffington, did not post it, my photo doesn’t look like yours.

H. Nancy, I like Margin of Error, love the color. Mike Longo is indeed fancy, such a nice edge on a simple bloom.

Sherry

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    4 years ago

A few more Ms.

My only photo of what I thought was Mr Skeffington.
    Mighty Chestnut, like Nancy, not my favorite but it performs well in a less than ideal spot.
    Mini Pearl, a good, small oldie.

Sherry

• shive
    4 years ago

Mary's Baby looks wonderful for Sherry and Nancy. Mine didn't do well in it's first season, but I think it's roots were eaten by grubs. I'm hopeful that it will impress next season.

Memphis got moved last Spring. I hope it will perform better in a more sheltered location.

Midnight Castle also got a new spot last Spring. I hope more hours of sun will improve it's height and bud counts.

Mississippi Magistrate

Margo Reed Indeed

Melee

Miss Demeanor

Miss Goldie Gold Digger

Mystic Maze

Mexican Magic

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • shive
    4 years ago

More M's:

Minstrel Singer

Michigan Nikki

My Heart Belongs to Daddy

Mystical Intuition

Mountain Wildflower

Marlee Jane

Men in Black

Maui Sunrise

My Mama Thinks I'm a Star and Aerial Applique

Debra

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    4 years ago

Wow what a bunch of beauties today! Mary's Baby is terrific along with all the rest! Just too difficult to pick out other favorites.

Off year for Marmalade compared to other years. Never ending rain until the end of June then heat and drought the rest of the year.

Marmalade has many faces from bright to paler like this, a real chameleon.

Moonlit Masquerade.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • shive
    4 years ago

Sherry - That grouping of Mary Tood clumps is spectacular. Moonlit Masquerade makes a pretty clump too!

Nancy - My Mama Thinks I'm a Star is doing great for you! Mine got shaded out by two voracious neighbors and didn't do as well last season.

Hoosier Nancy - Magic Rises and Moving Forward stand out to me in your groups.

Debra

• Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

I like so many, maybe I should not be participating in these threads.

Sherry, if you were comparing your Me. Skeffington to mine, you should not be concerned. I think this was an early photo of it. I am blaming it on just getting planted in the spring and not settled in yet. The last blooms looked more like it should but I can't find those pics. I probably should nor have posted it. I have several similar ones, but it did so very well in the number of buds, I am looking forward to see how it does this year.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    4 years ago

Nancy: I like your picture of Malaysian Spice. I'm fond of the more delicate orange/melon colors. However, most unfortunately just fade out to blah in our heat. Mapping Pennsylvania looks really promising for you............Nan: I've been watching for your Mighty Chestnut for a few years now. It's on my long list but I'm not sure if it's orange or brown, or dirty orange....Sherry: Your Mighty Chestnut looks good to me. Again, it looks orange in your picture and that pleases me...........Debra: So many nice ones. Your shot of Miss Deameanor is lovely and you know you enabled me with your past pictures of Miss Goldie Gold Digger. Mine was a single fan last year and I hope she survives winter and picks up steam this year. My Heart Belongs to Daddy is a really nice cheery red for the overcast skys of winter................Maryl

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Debra, so many great blooms as usual. Michigan Nikki really caught my eye today. What a great edge on a “spider type” bloom! Mystical Intuition has it all, pattern, edge and delicate coloring.

Laurie, a great clump of Marmalade. Last season was not so great for some of my daylilies, our weather was similar here, especially that rotten spring.

Sherry

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

Lots of beautiful 'M's, everyone!

MARIETTA WARRIOR

MALASIAN MARKETPLACE

MICO

MULBERRY WAY

MYSTIC MARINER

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste/NH
  • celeste/NH
    4 years ago

MYSTERY BEING WRITTEN

MIDNIGHT ANGEL

MISS PIGGY

MOUSSAKA

MAJOR GENERAL

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

MOSES' FIRE

MONKIAN

MONACAN TRAIL

MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRD

MYSTIC IMAGE

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

STILL MORE......

MERLIN'S MOTH

MIXED BLESSINGS

MOONLIGHT ORCHID

MONTERREY JACK

MUIRGEN

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

AND A FEW MORE......

MYNELLE'S STARFISH

MASK OF TIME

MICHAEL BENNETT

MARISKA

MOON N Y'ALL

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

LAST SET.....

MARQUE MOON

MEXICAN MAGIC

MARSE CONNELL

MOKAN BUTTERFLY

MARILYN'S DIMPLE

MONSTER

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

I really shouldn't be looking at pictures of other people's daylilies ..it just makes me make a longer list of what I would love to see here.

Here are some of my M's ......

This is one of my Lambert daylilies .....Mary Grady

Mauve Decade .....again a John Lambert daylily . I would love to have all of his daylilies but boy are they difficult to find .

I really love Margot Reed Indeed

Macklemania

Lots of this one ! Miss Jessie is an oldie and does really really well here .More to come .

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked signet_gw(6b)
  • signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

Another John Lambert daylily

Magic of Oz is a great grower . It hasn't been here all that long .

still a few more to share

• signet_gw(6b)
    4 years ago

Metrosexual This one would be so much nicer if it were taller . I have another Night Beacon that looks very much like this . It too is too short

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Heather, I adore Magic of Oz, looks like it might work here too. Such a vibrant color on Matisse, does it catch your eye in the garden?

Celeste, such luscious color on Michael Bennett in your garden, that purple again, I’m wondering if anyone else here grows it. Marque Moon caught my eye again, I’m a fan of a yellow edge on a white bloom. Mystery Being Written is a winner, I think I need more lavender blooms here LOL!

Sherry

• celeste/NH
    4 years ago

Sherry, thank you. Michael Bennett was new and still settling in but gave some knock out blooms. That photo was in full sun and it still was such a saturated purple. Marque Moon is a great late season daylily. It is a great performer. Mystery Being Written has incredible color and I set a lot of pods on it last summer. I am hoping the children inherit that lovely lavender. I also love that it is a bitone.

• shive
    4 years ago

Heather - I love your photo of Mexican Magic. Mine has never done that throat pinching, and I wish it would!

Celeste - So many wonderful M's! Midnight Angel, Major General and Michael Bennett are among the standouts for me.

Debra

• Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

Used by brain, wrote down favorites as I looked!

Sherry: Metaphor, Mage Quest, & Mary's Baby

Nancy: Mary's Baby, Malaysian Marketplace, My Momma....

H.Nancy: Matthew Kaskel, Maillah

Debra: Maui Sunrise is one that always catches my attention! My Momma..... Miss Demeanor

Celeste: Marietta Warrior, Malaysian Marketplace, Major General, + other purples

Heather: Matisse, Magic of Oz.

Malaysian Monarch

Maleny Debutante, which hasn't done well for a few years.

Maleny Empire Rose

Metaphor, such great color

Milano Crimson Tide

That's all for me.

Brad

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Brad, Maleny Debutante is so nice, I hope it shapes up for you! It's good to see Metaphor in your garden too!

Sherry

4 years ago

I just realized that I am crazy. I posted two N's in the M category. Sorry for that. I was so excited about selecting pictures I guess I just couldn't stop.

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

So late to the M party!!! Love living in the country until my internet goes out for days!! So many lovelies on here-too many to list as favs! I will admit every time I see Mary’s Baby I think I need it! There are so many other really impressive ones! Here are a few of mine. So many I did not have photos of this year. Margo Reed Indeed did not perform well nor did Mal and a number of others.

Malachite Prism-I posted this as Amethyst Prism (which I also have) and did edit it out of the As. Love this lily.

Memphis usually has perfect blooms but was moved and did not perform as well as usual

Monster-mine does not have the bronze overlay Celeste’s shows-just great big honking blooms!!

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lilykate7a
  • lilykate7a
    4 years ago

Mountain Violet- definitely a favorite

Mystical Rainbow-what a performer!

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lilykate7a
  • Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

Brad, I love Meleny Deb!

Kate, Mountain Violet is absolutely gorgeous. Does it bloom well? I want a dark edge like that one. I need to look it up. I was given Memory of Morning as a single fan a few years ago. It did not bloom in the 2nd year and the main root died. A tiny offshoot survived, and this will be the 2nd year. Looks big enough to bloom if it survives. Beautiful bloom, hope mine is worth waiting for.

• shive
    4 years ago

Brad - I wish Meleny Deb performed better for you. It has such a pretty face!

Kate - Mountain Violet and Moonlit Gold caught my eye.

Debra

• Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

There have been years Meleny Deb performed wonderfully! One year it was the first to bloom and rebloomed constantly until frost. A few other years it bloomed well and rebloomed a couple of times. I think it will recover!

Brad

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kate, Mountain Violet is scrumptious, such a wonderful photo. Memphis and Moment in the Sun are at the top of list, great edges.

Sherry

• lilykate7a
    4 years ago

Thanks all!! I went back to edit-it is Mountain Orchid, not Violet!! In a hurry, mind sometimes does not work!! So sorry.

Nancy, it is a Keast intro and does bloom very well. This should be leap year for it and I am looking forward to seeing how it performs this year.

• Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

Thank you for that info, Kate!