SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Making Whoopie (Pies, that is)

annie1992
4 years ago

Elery's youngest granddaughter is going to be two and she's having a birthday party tomorrow at a pet store, something I'd not heard of. They do not sell dogs or cats, believing that there are lots of nice dogs and cats at shelters, but they do sell fish, lizards, rodents like hamsters and gerbils, guinea pigs, pet supplies. They sponsor birthday parties and have an "animal expert" come and let the kids handle the snakes, pet a hedgehog, learn about different kinds of fish. They don't allow food, like pizza or sandwiches, but do supply a cake. They will allow snacks, but the Mom is already baking and decorating sugar cookies shaped like animals, so that's out. Elery thought Whoopie Pies would be a good idea, and so I made some, using the King Arthur Flour recipe:

The "cakes" were pretty good, there was a teaspoon of espresso in there, but the filling wasn't great, IMO. It has shortening, marshmallow creme, powdered sugar, vanilla. It tastes sweet, and has that greasy mouthfeel from the shortening. I should have used butter, or made a cream cheese filling. Live and learn for next time!

Annie

Comments (4)