SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
forhgtv

In Search of Casserole Recipes for Freezer

Fun2BHere
4 years ago

I'm looking for recipes that I can freeze in individual portions for my parent's freezer. Now, here's the hard part. They don't eat cheese, mushrooms, Brussels sprouts, most leafy greens (cooked) or herbs they can see. I've been searching the Internet for recipes and so many contain cheese. Other than chicken pot pie and chicken/turkey tetrazzini, what else is there? Thanks so much for your help.

Comments (39)

• Olychick
    4 years ago

I would search for vegan casseroles...there are tons of recipes that don't have mushrooms and, of course, no cheese. There are some decent vegan cheese substitutes, if they would eat those.

Fun2BHere thanked Olychick
  • lindac92
    4 years ago

A Spaghetti casserole with hamburger, red sauce (without any visible herbs!)....and no cheese.
    Doesn't sound interesting but....
    And there is always tuna and noodles. And chicken divan. How about a beef stew in a casserole dish? Perhaps use pasta instead of potatoes....but pretty much beef some onion carrots and peas in a gravy.

Fun2BHere thanked lindac92
  • Related Discussions

Casserole recipe request

Q

Comments (41)
    If you want a stew, this is a favorite of mine and super easy. People always want the recipe. Five Hour Oven Stew 1-1/2 # cubed stew meat (I prefer chuck) 5 medium potatoes-cut in 2" cubes 2 cups baby carrots 1-2 medium onions-quartered 1 cup celery-cut in 2" slices 2 cans(14-1/2oz) stewed tomatoes (I use the ones w/basil, garlic & oregano) 2 Tbls. quick cooking tapioca 1 Tbls. sugar 1-1/2 tsp. salt 1/8 tsp. black pepper Combine all and bake in a heavy dutch oven at 275degrees for 5 hours. With a loaf of good crusty bread and a green salad, this makes a great, easy, fool-proof meal.
    ...See More

T & T Chicken Tortilla (corn) Casserole Recipe?

Q

Comments (8)
    I like this one better than any I've tried. It's purloined from the homesick texan blog. I do use fewer tortillas. Just a matter of preference. Slightly Fancy-Pants King Ranch Chicken Casserole Ingredients: 1 1/2 pounds of chicken, without skin and bones 4 teaspoons of lime juice 1/4 cup of olive oil 3 cloves of garlic, minced 4 tablespoons of butter 1/2 an onion, diced 1 red bell pepper, diced 1 poblano pepper, diced 1 10oz. can of Ro-Tel tomatoes, drained (or you can use a can of regular diced tomatoes and a 4 oz. can of diced green chiles, or if tomatoes are in season, can use two cups of diced fresh tomatoes with 1/4 cup of diced green chiles, such as a jalapeno) 4 teaspoons ancho chile powder (or chili powder) 1 teaspoon of cumin 1 cup of chicken broth 2 tablespoons of flour 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper 1/2 cup of half and half 1/3 cup of sour cream 1/2 cup of cilantro, chopped 3 cups of grated pepper jack and cheddar 10 corn tortillas Salt and pepper to taste. Method: 1. Season the chicken with the lime juice, 2 teaspoons of ancho chile powder and a dash of salt. In a skillet heated on medium, cook the chicken in the olive oil on each side for about 10 minutes. 2. When chicken is done (after about 20 minutes), shred it with two forks and set aside. Taste and see if it needs more salt and pepper. Should yield about 3 cups. 3. Melt the butter in a saucepan on medium, and add the onions, red bell pepper and poblano pepper. Cook for 10 minutes. 4. Add the garlic, flour, cumin, cayenne pepper and 2 teaspoons of ancho chile powder, and cook for 1 minute. 5. Add the chicken broth and cook on low until mixture is thickened, a few minutes. Stir in the half-and-half and Ro-Tel cover the pot, and simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. 6. Uncover the pot, and add the sour cream, 2 teaspoons of lime juice and 1/4 cup of cilantro, and add salt and pepper to taste. Turn off heat. 7. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 8. Heat up the tortillas (you can do this by adding a bit of oil on an iron skillet and then cooking the tortillas for about 30 seconds on each side). 9. Ladle 1/2 cup of the sauce onto the bottom of an 11 x 7 inch baking pan. Layer half the tortillas along the bottom of the pan (on top of the sauce). To make sure entire pan is evenly covered, you can rip some of the tortillas into strips to fill any gaps. Add half the chicken, half the remaining sauce, half the remaining cilantro and 1 1/2 cups of grated cheese. Repeat the layering, leaving the cheese layer on top. Cook uncovered for 30 minutes or until brown and bubbling. Serves 6-12, depending on how big a portion you distribute. Goes great with sour cream and cilantro on top.
    ...See More

LOOKING for: Cheeseburger casserole/pie recipe

Q

Comments (7)
    Here's the one I have from the Amarillo Jr League: CHEESEBURGER PIE Pastry for 9" one crust pie, unbaked 1 lb ground beef 1/2 tsp ground oregano 1/2 cup crushed soda crackers 8 oz can tomato sauce 1/4 cup chopped onion 1/4 cup chopped green pepper 3/4 tsp salt 1/4 tsp pepper Brown meat. Drain. Stir in remaining ingredients & pour into pastry shell. Cheese Topping: 1 egg, beaten 1/4 cup milk 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder 1/2 tsp Worcestershire 2 cups grated Cheddar Combine egg & milk. Stir in seasonings & cheese. Spread topping evenly over filling. Cover edge of pie crust with a 2-3" strip of foil to prevent excessive browning. Remove foil the last 15 minuts of baking. Bake in a preheated 425° oven for 30 minutes.~~
    ...See More

RECIPE: Vegetarian Casseroles

Q

Comments (4)
    I have one somewhere on my bookshelf that is amazing. had all kinds of veggie casseroles that you would of never thought of. i will go try to look for it right now!
    ...See More
  • plllog
    4 years ago

I'd say think in building blocks rather than specific recipes. Your nots aren't nearly as bad as some I've had to cope with.

So, starch in the bottom. Cooked sliced potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, barley pasta (only cooked enough to be pliable). You can use any kind of starch they like. You can also use cooked (or canned) beans, but they're better stirred in than on the bottom.

Protein should be pre-cooked at least to the point of killing the germs. Diced is easiest to eat, but you can mix things up with shredded chunks, shredded "nest" (pulled), thin sliced (but not too big to eat comfortably), etc. Generally, you only need one protein unless you're clearing out the fridge.

Veg--roast or saute ahead of time to add flavor and get rid of excess water. Choose some that go with your flavor profile and what the folks like to eat. You can also sneak some in. If you break up cauliflower into little twigs they're mostly just a texture variation. Carrots are sweet. Onions are tasty. Maybe stay away from garlic unless it's for a specific flavor profile. Parsnips are sweet with a little bite, rutabagas are tangier and less starchy than potatoes. Add in anything green they'll like, or skip if they hate it all. Leaves in casseroles can be problematic, but green beans are good.

Seasoning, if they don't like herbs they can see, how are they on the flavor of herbs? You can mash up dried herbs with a mortar and pestle or spice grinder, or shop around for blends where everything is powder already.

Sauce/binder. No cheese, no problem. You can use gravy (thickened and seasoned stock, or any recipe you choose), white sauce/bechamel, eggs, custard (eggs and milk).

Topping. There's always pastry or biscuits for your standard pie, but also dumplings or spaetzle, bread crumbs with some fat, oat crumble (savory version), scalloped potatoes, or anything you can think of which will hold together and keep in some of the steam. Loosely lay a piece of foil on top to keep it from over browning.

With a framework, you can make any flavor casserole you like from chicken piccata to pork and beans to duck a l'orange. Just put in all the flavors and away you go.

Tip: Distribute each item in a layer across the dish(s) to get even distribution. If you want the final product more mixed up, you can use a spatula or spoon to kind of mix in place. Combining in a bowl can give uneven quantities per portion.

I'm thinking, since you're going to freeze portions... I got these silicone molds for freezing soup. Each cup holds a large portion. Quite a bit bigger than your average muffin cup. I know know what their appetites are but I think cooking and freezing pre-portioned has merit, and if muffin cups aren't quite big enough, you might like to look into something like this (these might be a bit too big, but they don't have to be filled, and there are plenty that are smaller).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HXYZJ7Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fun2BHere thanked plllog
  • Fun2BHere
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I knew I could count on the posters here! If I use those small aluminum loaf pans, how long would you guess the casseroles would need to cook from frozen in a 350-degree F. oven? I realize it will partially depend on the ingredients, but thinking of chicken pot pie, I think it usually takes an hour from frozen. Of course, they can test to see if the 165 temperature has been reached in the center, but I should give them a time guideline.

• bragu_DSM 5
    4 years ago

you could also make some impossible pies, cook them and slice them into serving sized pieces, wrap in waxed paper and foi, and freezel. A quick thaw in the micro plus some extra time on high would bring them back to temp ... so versatile

Fun2BHere thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    4 years ago

Pasties came to mind because of the recently resurrected thread.

Fun2BHere thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • plllog
    4 years ago

Fun2BHere, I haven't made a tall narrow casserole. The loaf pans sound good. If you want to go that route, though, you might want to look into large foil ramekins or gratins with good sides. Or even a case of ceramic ones. Shorter, wider, just seems better to me, but I don't know if there's a scientific reason for that or just tradition. I tend to think it'll heat more evenly.

The question is how long, and I don't really know the answer. My standard for baking or reheating a full sized (thawed) casserole is 45 minutes at 375° F, with instinctive adjustments for size, thickness and density. If everything is cooked and there's no chill on it, maybe 45 minutes at 350° F. I'm thinking two individual ceramic gratins maybe 35 minutes at 350° F? At least as a starting point? Really, I think it might be something you'd need to test a few times on different things to see how your particular oven and dishes do.

Fun2BHere thanked plllog
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    4 years ago

I use the Corelle "French White" 15 oz casseroles for individual frozen casseroles. You can get the plastic lids from Corelle.com, but they no longer make the glass French White casseroles, they are stoneware now and I don't like them. You need to buy the casseroles off Ebay or find at an estate sale. You can tell the difference, because the real vintage casseroles are smooth on the bottom and the new stoneware is rough. The new lids fit the old casseroles just fine.

https://www.corelle.com/product/french-white-plastic-lid-15-ounce-baking-dish-0

I freeze, then remove the plastic lid, place in middle of COLD oven, frozen, set to 350*, and bake for 30 minutes or so. If something starts to brown too much cover loosely with aluminum foil.

I estimate one casserole per person, but sometimes my husband doesn't eat an entire one.

Fun2BHere thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • CA Kate z9
    4 years ago

I freeze a lot of extra meals for future reference. I've found sealing in a FoodSaver bag helps keep the integrity of the food a lot longer than just wrapping or zip-locking. If the food is in a dish I just FoodSaver it right then and there. But, if it's like a piece of pie or something not in a container, then I freeze it first, then FoodSaver it.

Over the years I have acquired quite a few dishes in which I can freeze Pot Pies, Stews, casseroles, roasted meat portions along with the veggies, and soups.

I don't really have recipes per se because I mostly make meals from what I have on hand and freeze what I don't eat. Sorry about that.

One idea that might work: boil some pasta to al dente': either make and roast some meat balls and freeze them or buy some frozen precooked meatballs from Trader Joes; either make or buy a favorite marinara sauce; in a container put in a portion of pasta topped with a couple of meal balls topped with some sauce; freeze.

You could do the same with some roasted, boneless chicken thighs/breast. You could even get a rotissery one from the grocery, break it up and use that meat with any appropriate sauce or gravy on top of pasta or potatoes.

The trick is to not have the food totally done done so that the reheating doesn't make the food over-cooked. BTDT

Kate

Fun2BHere thanked CA Kate z9
  • nancyjane_gardener
    4 years ago

I'm with CA kate on using the food saver!

When freezing soups or soupy-like casseroles, I fill the bag, lay it flat in a baking dish leaving a couple of inches folded up for sealing, freeze, then seal.

This makes for slabs which easily stack in the freezer (also, I can offer a friend a slab-o-soup when feeling under the weather)

Fun2BHere thanked nancyjane_gardener
  • sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    4 years ago

A week or two before a visit...might be soon, we have a clockwork pretty basic method for my parents. I have simplified recently. I can make 40-50 pint meals in one evening. I used to do a 1,2,3 method but they go confused last year. (1/2 pint stock, 1 pint protein/greens, 1/2 pint mixed grain.)

They just turned 90 and 91. Dad walks 5 miles every morning and swims every afternoon but my sister needs to stop by and watch over mom while he swims. Mom was never much of a cook but I'm guessing terrified he might leave her alone she was boiling a cut up sweet potato, some frozen veg like squash and corn from summer harvesting....boiling to a mush. No seasoning, just water. All their siblings and friends have passed. Dad cooks now but it need to be simple. He does and always makes a killer fresh salad every day. Has a post swim of cheese and red wine. They do snack.

I make three meals for them. A braised chicken, like a stew, a beef stew, and a chicken baby meatball stew. All very brothy that they like. A rich one pint that serves two.

Everything goes in a pint. Tried flat pack a few years ago but even with kitchen scissors they struggled. One cup of water in a two quart sauce pan, simmer, then the one pint rich 'chowder'. When it simmers down hot it is ready, no guessing when done.

Fun2BHere thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
  • Ladydi Zone 6A NW BC Canada
    4 years ago

I just want to comment that I can only wish to walk 5 miles every day, swim and cook in my 90's. So nice to hear.

• annie1992
    4 years ago

Mom is 84, and she definitely doesn't walk 5 miles, she'd get lost!

I used to cook for my stepmother, now I cook for Mom. Last week it was chicken pot pie, split pea soup and AnnT's salisbury steaks with noodles (Mom hates mashed potatoes), along with blueberry muffins

The week before it was pasties, lasagna, broccoli and cheese quiche and corn muffins.

Next week it'll be butternut squash soup, baked chicken tenders, roasted asparagus and cinnamon rolls.

She likes soup and muffins, and most soup freezes pretty well, as does pasta. I tried breakfast burritos, but she won't eat those, she'd rather have quiche or deviled eggs. I made waffles but she says they get too hard in the toaster and too tough in the microwave, same with pancakes. (shrug)

I always make sure there's a dessert, like bread pudding or hand pies or cookies or cinnamon rolls, she really likes her sweets.

I take half a dozen deviled egg halves pretty much every week, because she loves them and will have them for breakfast along with her cup of yogurt. Only Oikos, only full fat greek style and only raspberry, LOL, she's really picky.

She eats small amounts throughout the day, so having a cup of soup, a cinnamon roll or muffin a bit later, maybe some protein and a vegetable for supper and she's done.

Annie

Fun2BHere thanked annie1992
  • nancyjane_gardener
    4 years ago

Annie, I make a blueberry/bran muffin that freezes well and is good with one minute in the microwave for breakfast.

• KatieC
    4 years ago

I made this cottage pie the other day and it was pretty good. It has cheese, but just on top and it wouldn't be missed. I froze the leftovers....Cottage Pie with Sweet Potatoes.

Fun2BHere thanked KatieC
  • bragu_DSM 5
    4 years ago

you can also make hot pocket like meat puffs with crescent rolls and a meat pepper cheese mixture .... they freeze nicely. let the meat mixture cool before forming into hot pocket-like puffs ... freeze on a sheet pan and the double zip bag them

Fun2BHere thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • lizbeth-gardener
    4 years ago

KatieC: That cottage pie sounds good. Assume this is a British recipe, can you tell me what the Masterfoods mixed herbs might contain?

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    4 years ago

Fun2BHere, Do they like spaghetti? It freezes well for me. I make it with rotini pasta sometimes, as it is easier to eat that way.

Fun2BHere thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • KatieC
    4 years ago

lizbeth, it's from an Aussie site. Masterfood herbs are listed as Thyme, Rosemary, Marjoram, Basil, Oregano, Sage. I used two teaspoons total: about a half teaspoon each thyme, rosemary, oregano and sage and it was good.

Fun2BHere thanked KatieC
  • bcskye
    4 years ago

How about a hearty Spanish Rice? I Brown ground beef with onions and chopped green peppers, add petite diced tomatoes, tomato sauce. Once it has simmered a bit, add instant rice, cover and remove from heat. Let sit for five to ten minutes. You can add whatever seasonings you prefer. At different times I've added corn or different types of beans although it's my favorite with just the basics. Freeze it in individual microwaveable containers then it's fast and easy to pop one out, heat it up and eat.

Madonna

Fun2BHere thanked bcskye
  • lizbeth-gardener
    4 years ago

Thanks, KatieC ! I didn't even notice the AU on the website.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    4 years ago

That's a good rotation Annie. It really is important to let them have what they will eat and desire. What I made 10 years ago is a bit different now. I used to cook during my visits and make triple batches so I could freeze the extras in re-heat portions. Same with my in-laws. Easier if I prep at home, freeze, then deliver in a cooler.

I really like the 'cottage sweet potato pie' posted above. Dad would like that but my hands are full with my 'system'. Does not need the cheese or most of the spice/herb blend.

• annie1992
    4 years ago

Elery just made a similar "cottage pie", using some of the remaining butternut squash we have in storage. It was really good.

Nancyjane, I'd love that recipe, although Mother wouldn't eat a bran muffin if she were starving. "Not sweet enough, and they taste too......healthy". LOL

Sleevendog, I haven't figured out exactly what she likes, because she changes her mind on a regular basis. Something she's eaten for years she will suddenly just reject, and start eating something she wouldn't touch before. I try to take something that she can eat for the first couple of days, then the rest goes into the freezer for future meals. I don't think she's really trying to be difficult, but she certainly can be!

Annie

• bragu_DSM 5
    4 years ago

Annie: she is lucky to have you looking after her ... didn't you say once that she likes hot dogs too?

• nancyjane_gardener
    4 years ago

Annie, will get on that muffin recipe as soon as the relatives go away! ;)

• plllog
    4 years ago

LOL!! Too funny about the bran muffin tasting too healthy! To me, most muffins taste like cake (which, in fact, they are). The exceptions are pumpkin muffins, which taste like quickbread (which, in fact, they are), and Six Weeks Muffins from the 1970's which are way decadent and like sin, rather than healthy (which, in fact, they sort of are). They have lots of fat, and tangy buttermilk, and sweet dates and raisins (which we, in fact, add extra of). They're excellent for the digestion, if you can get past all the decadence. I make them for people suffering from post-operative medication woes. Yeah, you can sort of taste the bran, but mostly it's sweet and rich and amazingly yummy. Probably too healthy tasting for Annie's mom, but my mom likes them. :)

Fun2BHere, how are you doing with the casseroles? Any progress?

• annie1992
    4 years ago

plllog, Mother won't eat raisins either. Actually, I think much of her "dislike" of certain things has to do with her teeth. She has osteoporosis and lost a couple of teeth. They couldn't do a bridge or implants, because the bone in her jaw was too porous or weak or something, so she has a partial denture on the bottom. Some things, like raisins, or crusty homemade bread, are just difficult to chew. She's embarrassed to say her teeth are too bad to each chewy things or hard things or crunchy things, so she says she "doesn't like them". At least I think that's what's going on.

I do agree that muffins today are actually cupcakes, and that's probably why she likes them. She always wants the corner piece of cake too, with the extra frosting.

Bragu, she does like hot dogs. Only Oscar Mayer, only the bun length (she says they taste DIFFERENT than the regular ones, LOL), and only cold from the refrigerator without a bun and with nothing on them. Occasionally she'll eat a sandwich, but she wants those Sweet Hawaiian rolls for that, they now have hamburger and hot dog buns, go figure.

So, Fun2Bhere, how ARE you doing on those casseroles? I'm going to Mother's tomorrow and she wants chicken/rice casserole. She does like rice a lot.

Annie

• beesneeds
    4 years ago

Sometimes when I've done up odd evening shifts, I would do up "TV" dinners.

Like I would make a meatloaf, and pair it with some green beans and a cooked potato- usually a roasted one, those seemed to work better from freezing. Sometimes turkey or chicken with stuffing and beans or corn. Make a few dinners for the freezer for my hubby or me.

A bunch of other stuff too.. but most of it has cheese, or mushrooms, often a lot of visible herbs and greens, lol.

Fun2BHere thanked beesneeds
  • Fun2BHere
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@plllog and @annie1992, I haven't started yet. I copied and saved the thread so I wouldn't lose the ideas that were suggested. Right now, I'm dealing with the repair of a roof leak and some insurance issues.

• nancyjane_gardener
    4 years ago

Blueberry/bran muffins

2/3 c brn sugar

1 egg

1/2 tsp vanilla

1/2 c applesauce (I rarely use AS, so I buy the little lunch sized ones, exactly 1/2 c)

1 c milk

1 1/2 c bran (I use oat)

1 c AP or WW flour

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp baking powder

1/2-1 tsp cinnamon (optional)

1 handful walnuts, chopped 1/2 c? (optional)

1-1 1/2 c frozen blueberries

Preheat oven to 375*

Mix bran and milk, let sit 10 minutes

Mix wet ingredients

Add bran/milk mixture

Add dry ingredients

Sprinkle nuts and BBs with a little AP flour and shake til coated ( A little Martha Stewart tip to prevent them from sinking to the bottom) Add to batter.

Scoop into cupcake papers and bake about 20 minutes (my oven is a bit off, so do the usual toothpick test.Makes 12 med muffins.

I freeze them, then put into a plastic bag in the freezer. Microwave 1 minute til just warm.

I also add 1 c of shredded, pat dried zucchini when in season, or I remember. A little extra vege to hide from the kids (or hubbies) this will either add 2 muffins to your recipe, or make them a bit larger! Remember to add baking time for the larger muffins!

I've frozen these and fed them to all ages with great reviews!

Fun2BHere thanked nancyjane_gardener
  • krissie55
    4 years ago

Being 85 years old and husband 91, the following may be of help.. It is easier to thaw/heat serving sizes than whole frozen casseroles cooked or not cooked. For those who do not like cheese you can make a cream sauce and add seasoning of your choice and pour over casserole dishes and bake. I cook from scratch and most of the time do not use recipes. Here is one of my throw together casseroles: Layer of sliced raw russet potatoes, layer frozen mixed vegetables, chopped onion scattered over the vegetables, layer of browned ground beef, another layer of sliced raw potatoes. Pour a generous amount of thin to medium cream sauce seasoned with Taco Seasoning over top and bake for 1 hour. Salt is optional. I make my own no salt seasonings and store in jars. I use half-pint wide mouth canning jars to freeze food in. Remove lids and pop into microwave frozen to thaw/heat in a few minutes rather than thaw/bake whole casserole for an hour in oven. Freezing serving size amount of cooked foods in muffin tins and then into plastic bags is convenient for the elderly. Small wide mouth canning jars are great to freeze single servings of soup. Easy to put frozen soup in microwave to thaw/heat. I use the "reheat" cycle on microwave to thaw/heat frozen food.

Fun2BHere thanked krissie55
  • bbstx
    4 years ago

This is Dorie Greenspan’s Mediterranean Shepherd’s Pie. I love it. For your parents, you might want to leave out the harissa and substitute lemon zest and oregano for the more exotic spices. I do. I use sweet potatoes instead of butternut squash and spinach instead of kale. Since they aren’t leafy greens fans, you can use small green peas instead of kale.

Amish-Style Oatmeal with Apples and Walnuts. Freezes well. You can easily change out the fruit and nuts to whatever you like. I generally leave out the nuts because I don’t like them.

Hamburger and Macaroni A comfort food for me. My grandmother used to make something very similar.

Not a casserole, but how about some ready to heat sandwiches? Hot Roast Beef Sandwiches. I made these for DD when she had the twins. She sometimes needed food she could eat with one hand. You can omit the cheese. I also omitted the poppyseeds.

Would they enjoy something like tacos? You could prepare and freeze the meat. Send it with taco shells and salsa. If they would get to it soon enough, you could also send diced tomatoes and shredded lettuce.

I hope you have better luck with your parents, than I had with my mom. I cooked up a bunch of things that I knew she liked. Froze them in individual portions and took them to her. Everything was labeled along with cooking time and temp. One day when my sister was checking on her, she noticed all of the stuff in the freezer, mostly untouched. When she asked Mom about it, Mom said I had sent a bunch of leftovers and she really didn’t want them. That was the end of my cooking for my mother.

Fun2BHere thanked bbstx
  • nancyjane_gardener
    4 years ago

bbstx....That's too bad about your mom not liking your "leftovers".

When my MIL got ill, then passed away, my FIL was inundated with catasteroles that he didn't know how to deal with! They would probably feed 6-8 people! He would eat 1 or 2 helpings then dump it!

I started cooking easily freezable dishes (lasagna, soup, taco pie etc) and freeze in 2 serving sizes with my foodsaver.

His brother would come over to visit and the 2 of them would pull out something from the freezer and order a salad and bread delivered from the kitchen and enjoy!

• Fun2BHere
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@bbstx, I hear you. My mother can be like that, too. In fact, anything I do can surely be done better by someone else. Sometimes her critical nature rolls off my back and sometimes it gets under my skin. I appreciate the suggestions very much, though.

• bbstx
    4 years ago

@Fun2BHere, my main point was make sure they want this food before you put your time and effort into preparing it. Conversely, a friend’s brother and his wife kept their mom’s freezer well-stocked and she loved it!

Fun2BHere thanked bbstx
  • Fun2BHere
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@bbstx, I never do anything without talking about it with them first to ensure that they feel in control and that I don't waste my resources. I wanted to try my hand at a few recipes, though, in my own kitchen to see what I could offer them when I next visit them.

• nancyjane_gardener
    4 years ago

bbstx, being a wealthy neurosurgeon helped, I'm sure! They were circling!

• plllog
    4 years ago

I was thinking about what casseroles I could make in my new soup freezing molds, viz-a-viz my extra ground beef. I haven't done these yet, but I have ideas.

Cut circles out of tortillas and layer beef (actually better shredded, but ground works), chili or beans, maybe some spicy rice, finely chopped veg, enchilada sauce, melty cheese. Enchilada casserole strata.

Make meat with taco seasoning, toast rice and simmer with a little mild salsa picante or spicy tomato juice, chopped onions and bell peppers, marinate small carrot slices in vinegar with some cut hot peppers, then layer them all up with some melty cheese. Serve on shredded white cabbage with salsa verde.

Line the mold with bun, roll or bread, top with sloppy joe meat and sauteed chopped veg, american cheese and top with bun. Sandwich casserole.

Also Chicken piccata: Small or half chicken cutlet, breaded and quickly cooked in a skillet and cut up (or cut up then breaded and cooked), steamed rice, cut up broccoli, piccata sauce.

Fun2BHere thanked plllog