Life of paperbacks versus hardback
6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (16)
Related Discussions
Do you use a Kindle or other device, or prefer paper?
Comments (33)I own two Kindles and DH has one. Before the Kindles DH stopped reading much due to the his older eyes. He used to read a lot. Now he enjoys reading again. I still read both paper and Ebooks but now prefer the Ebooks also. At some point eyes tire easily as we age even with reading glasses. Not so with the Kindle. Love my Paperwhite, even in a dark room. I've decided to stop buying books as long as I can get them as Ebooks. Been getting rid of all the old paperbacks around here. Giving a few to friends, donating a few to the library but most are going directly into the recycling bin. The only books I really want to keep are those out of print, those with illustrations and children's books....See MoreBooker Prize Collection
Comments (26)Vee, I recall reading several of the novels on that Whitbread List that I think you read as well, because we had some discussions about them here at RP. Small Island -- Andrea Levy; Music & Silence -- Rose Tremain; and maybe The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time -- Mark Haddon I have also read several of the biographies, including Bad Blood by Lorna Sage, that I remember you commenting about. I notice that Vernon God Little by D B C Pierre (Peter Finlay) won both the Booker Prize and the Whitbread Award in 2003. I thought it was tripe, the sort of satire/black comedy that appeals to those who think John Kennedy Toole's A Confederacy of Dunces is a masterpiece. I think Vernon might be the record holder for most curse words in a major prize winner and such descriptions as this: "Deputy Gurie tears a strip of meat from a bone; it flaps through her lips like a sh*t taken backwards." and lots more of the same caliber. [thanks to one of the reviewers at Goodreads for the quote -- he thinks it's "a gem"!] I haven't retained much of How to be both, but I'm sorry that I was unaware of your response to reading it until several months after you posted. You could have helped me greatly with the art part. I think I mostly read it wrong, so thanks to Martin and Sheri for setting me straight on some of my interpretations. Carolyn, the Poe story could have been "The Fall of the House of Usher" since incest is suggested there, too. But I think the incest in it is probably more obvious than in "The Tell-Tale Heart." I read the latter without grasping it at all, because at the time I was naïve and didn't even know that kind of incest existed. I don't remember it being mentioned, either, in any of my "Poe classes." Your mother was a better educator than the ones I had. Edit to add: I was on the right track about "jolly good reads." Thank you Annpan and Vee for verifying that. I share with you, Vee, a contentedness with reading DduM, Hill, and Franklin. :-)...See MoreHave you written a book?
Comments (29)I have written a book and had it published by a publisher. It was a nonfiction business book that I wrote with a colleague of mine. We thought we had a good idea for a book, but did not have an agent, so we doubted that we would have much chance of getting published. We did use the Writer's Market as Jay06 above suggested, and prepared a proposal that included sample chapters, an outline and the other things recommended in Writer's Market. We made a list of publishers that, based on their descriptions, might be interested in the book. We sent our proposal out to the top three, figuring that we would work our way down the list as we got our rejections from those publishers. To our surprise (and delight!), two of the first three publishers were interested. Each of them had very different ideas on how to price and market the book, and we chose the one that we thought could get more copies sold. Anyway, it has sold pretty well over the years and in any event, it's fun to see one's name in print. We have by no means gotten rich from sales, but the royalties have provided some consistent "extra money" twice a year. If you are trying to sell a book, definitely getting a publisher is much easier than self publishing unless you have the energy and talent to market it yourself. However, if you have no intent on publishing for sale and just want to have the book for fun, Shutterfly seems the perfect option....See MoreMy Kindle has taken over my life!
Comments (56)"Amazon does is to tell you if you have already purchased the book" Just an FYI that Amazon only tells you if you bought a particular version of a book. If another version comes out, it doesn't tell you. I've run into that several times. If a book sounds familiar, I usually go to my content and search for it to see if I have an earlier version. In my case, I have the Kindle Voyage -- precursor to the Kindle Oasis. I bought it in 2014. It has both auto-brightness and adaptive display. Auto-brightness changes the brightness depending on the ambient light based on what you say you like for brightness. Adaptive brightness then gradually dims the brightness as your eyes adjust. I was skeptical about adaptive, but it works pretty well. Sometimes it does dim a bit too much, but not often. It also has page turn buttons that can be turned off if you don't like them -- I like them. I like that I can read in bed and not bother my DH with a light. I had the Kindle Keyboard 2, but it stopped holding a charge after a couple of years. I also have a Kindle Fire HD 7" that I use as a tablet. It works fine for me since I don't use them much. (I'm not a big fan of tablets -- I prefer an actual keyboard and larger screen). I'm not a fan of Apple products -- they minimize the amount of customization you can do and I customize EVERYTHING to the hilt. so they don't work for me. (I tried a Mac and hated the limitations.) We got my 85-year old mom a 10" Kindle Fire HD b/c she likes to read the newspaper online and the Fire works better than the e-readers for that. She also uses it as a tablet and hasn't complained about it. It's been especially helpful for her now, during COVID-19, as well as when she had a knee replaced a couple of years ago. I got the "reading gene" from her -- she's always been an avid reader! (She's into historical fiction/romance, I'm into Science Fiction and some Fantasy.)...See More- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

DECORATING GUIDESPaperback Books Get a Second Look
Hardcover books get all the decorating love, but paperbacks as a design accessory can hold their own in any room
Full Story
LIFE'Not My Precious Books!' — Pain-Free Ways to Declutter Your Library
Have your books and neatness too, with these ideas for paring down and straightening up a beloved collection
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDWorld of Design: 11 Book Lovers and Where They Like to Read
Bibliophiles across the globe reveal their top books and favorite reading spots, from a 2-story library to an artfully curated book nook
Full Story
LIFE10 Steps for Saying Goodbye to Sentimental Objects
Are keepsakes cluttering your space and your life? Consider this approach for letting go and moving on
Full Story
LIFEThe Wisdom of Kenny Rogers, for Declutterers
No need to gamble on paring-down strategies when the country music legend has already dealt out some winning advice
Full Story
LIFEFun Houzz: 14 Signs You’re an Interiors Geek
Are you obsessed with interiors? It’s OK, you can admit it — you’re among friends
Full Story
MOST POPULARHow to Create an Inventory, Whether You're Naturally Organized or Not
Documenting your home items is essential, even if disaster seems unimaginable. And it may be easier than you think
Full Story
LIFE8 Ways to Tailor Your Home for You, Not Resale
Planning to stay put for a few years? Forget resale value and design your home for the way you live
Full Story
LIFEData Watch: What’s Great, and What’s Not, About a Smaller Home
Houzz asked more than 200 U.S. homeowners about life in 1,000 square feet or less. Here’s what they said
Full Story
MOST POPULAR4 Obstacles to Decluttering — and How to Beat Them
Letting go can be hard, but it puts you more in control of your home's stuff and style. See if any of these notions are holding you back
Full StorySponsored
Rosefolly z5