SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathyjane_gw

I've Changed My Mind

kathyjane
15 years ago

Just wanted you guys to know I've had some boxes filled with books sitting on the floor for over a year. I was going to donate them to the county library.

I'll never finish reading them all; I'm trying so hard to pare down, and anyhow, these are just paperbacks---should be easy to start with those, rather than hardbacks.

Let's see....'Outdoor Lore', by Clyde Ormand---the granddaughters might like this---it even has a chapter on pan-fried fish.

A bunch of Issac Asimov---I was going to just keep the autographed hardback, but the paperbacks don't take up THAT much more room----anyhow, the granddaughters need a well-rounded amount of reading material as they go into teen-agerhood.

'Lady Chatterley's Lover' D.H.Lawrence---read it when I was 13---I'm keeping that one where it won't be seen--the girls might come across it----their Mom would skin me alive. It says on the flyleaf that this edition was reprinted complete, from copy No.402 of the privately-printed limited edition of 1928. Most earlier editions in the U.S and England were severely censored. Our Mom always said everything was worth reading----I don't always agree with that; I've never liked wasting my time on drivel.

I've never considered this book drivel, though.

'Stranger to the Ground' Richard Bach----he's boring and transparent sometimes, but it's about flying; I'll keep it.

Roger Ebert's Movie Home Companion--1980-1985.

These are OLD movies, now. Anyhow, it'll be fun cecking the reviews from then---esp. any of Clint Eastwoods' flicks....

"If the War Goes On', Hermann Hesse.

Some O. Henry, Aldous Huxley, Herman Melville; tons more.

They really weren't hurting anything, sitting on the floor---the boxes protected them from cat litter dust.

The bookcase they were housed in, is now used by my little 4 year-old DGS, for many of his planes, trucks and cars.

I'm beginning to think maybe I should just pack these books back up and put them back in the same spot and leave well enough alone.

I read a book a week ago; it took little pieces of three snowy days to read and it only had 169 pages. I was trying to clean up the place and came across it in a basket with lots of other junk, including a small envelope with a few hundred dollars in it. I think it'd been in there for at least 3 years..

The title of the book was, 'Death of the Schooner INTEGRITY' by Frank Muville. I thoroughly enjoyed it; every page, and I had a bright floor lamp poised right over the book, so there was plenty of light to see by.

I'm going to read another as soon as I get just a little more organized---you can bet, it will either be a sailing, flying, or moutain-climbing book. I feel the need to travel in my heart.

Has anyone read 'The Ascent'? It was fiction, but it was a very gripping story---right up my alley--I'm keeping my eye out for it still, even through I read it twice, probably ten years ago! A good story lasts forever.

What's on your Favorites' List?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
More Discussions