SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_674928617

'Spoons are so brutal!' Paris Hilton's cooking show, a comic genius?

Beans&Bread
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I guess we'll have to watch. There's nothing; like a good laugh to make the day better

'Spoons are so brutal!' Paris Hilton's cooking show is a rare work of comic genius

To watch Cooking with Paris, Paris Hilton’s new foray into the world of online culinary demonstration, is to ask yourself one thing over and over again: is Paris Hilton a genius?

Because, over the course of this 15-minute YouTube video, Paris Hilton cooks a lasagne. That’s all she does. And a lasagne is one of the easiest things in the world to cook. It would be impossible to make the act of lasagne assembly look even slightly entertaining if this were Jamie or Nigella. But impossible means nothing to a woman like Paris Hilton. Her lasagne preparation method, you see, is almost indescribable.

Sashaying into her kitchen holding a little dog dressed as a French maid, Paris greets us by saying: “As you all know – well, maybe not all of you know – people who do know know that I’m an amazing cook.” It’s a 21-word sentence and the first 17 are entirely redundant. All she needed to say was “I’m an amazing cook.”

And she is. So long as you remember that ‘amazing’ doesn’t mean ‘good’, or even ‘enthusiastic’. At the very first hurdle – preparing the lasagne sheets – Paris realises she’s been supplied with ones that need to be boiled, and she complains. She shows us all the ricotta she’ll be using, then tells us not to use as much as her. She realises that her mozzarella doesn’t come pre-grated, and sighs with such deep resignation you think she might be about to jack the whole thing in. “This is so brutal” she complains, before discarding an almost untouched block of cheese for fear that the grater will destroy her fingers.

She takes a photograph of her ingredients and tweets it, instructing us in no uncertain terms never to use the hashtag #Parislasagne when referring to her. She doesn’t know what ricotta looks like. She holds up a spatula and says “I don’t know what this is”. Spoons, she declares, are “brutal”. She wets kitchen roll with bottled water. She does something with salt that I won’t tell you for fear that I’ll be chased out of town as a liar.

Even from a cleanliness perspective, Cooking with Paris is incredible. For instance, she favours gloves in the kitchen – but not just any glove. She prefers the sort of fingerless mittens that weightlifters use, claiming that they’re usually used for sliving, which I am almost entirely convinced is not a word, and wears them while her untied, waist-length hair swishes dangerously close to every single ingredient she touches.

But here’s the thing: I have no idea if Cooking with Paris is a joke or not. It looks like it is probably a vanity project by a dangerously out-of-touch rich lady. But at the same time it’s too diligent not to be. Every time an opportunity for stupidity arises – literally every single time – Paris Hilton manages to rise up and hit the target. A genuine idiot wouldn’t make this much of a hash of a lasagne, but this is basically a Mr Bean video. Trained scientists could parse Cooking with Paris for traces of self-awareness and come up none the wiser.

Comments (10)

• colleenoz
    4 years ago

Clearly she has some idea of how to make a lasagna. But, it would not surprise me if that was the first actual lasagna she ever made. Her technique was all over the place, doing everything out of order.

I’m no germophobe, but what with the dog, the fingerless gloves and the hair (which did brush the lasagna sheets) no way would I eat that. Besides, it would be flavourless except for salt.

I can’t believe she made such a thing (bottled water, geesh!) of blotting up the surplus salt, then goes through the cupboard and, “Oh, Himalayan salt- seven grinds of that”. And after she scratched up the frying pan with the metal spatula, I guess it’s just as well she can afford to replace it.

You have to wonder what on earth prompted Ms Hilton to produce a cooking video.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

"You have to wonder what on earth prompted Ms Hilton to produce a cooking video."

The same thing that prompts her (and others of her ilk) to engage in any kind of social media activity - celebrity status, however shortlived or inane.

• Lars
    4 years ago

😎🤑💫👢💎🙈🥄💲

I liked Paris and Nicole in The Simple Life, and we have all of the seasons on DVD.

I have at least one friend in L.A. who reminds me of Paris, and it is a lot of fun to go to parties with her, but she can get out of control at times.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 years ago

Don't have time to watch all of it yet, but now I'm intrigued . Seems like it would be good for a laugh or 3. And I noted she says 'sitting on the counter, watching my mom cook", and thought, "your butt was on the kitchen counter?". Maybe that explains something about her casual attitude towards cleanliness?

& perhaps it isn't so much what prompted her to do this as who...?

• foodonastump
    4 years ago

I liked The Simple Life also (glad I’m not the first to admit that here!) so I was looking forward to it, but this was an absolute waste of time.

• Beans&Bread
    Original Author
    4 years ago

"sitting on the counter, watching my mom cook"

Only in the stories the governess read to her

That really is funny.

Paris is the great-granddaughter of Conrad Hilton, of hotel fame. Maybe you've heard about him.

Her mother never cooked a meal in her life.

Paris was born in New York City and raised there and in Beverly Hills, California,

Her mother, Kathy Hilton is a socialite and former actress; her father, Richard Howard "Rick" Hilton, is a businessman.

• Lars
    4 years ago

Conrad Hilton's first hotel was in Cisco, Texas, 19 miles from where my maternal grandparents lived, and we used to go to the huge swimming pool there. I've also been to the hotel, which is now a museum, I think.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    4 years ago

I liked the little dogs in it. I was afraid she was going to step on the Pom.

Sue

• bragu_DSM 5
    4 years ago

k, that was NOT as entertaining as I was thinking it might be ... she is a messy person, and the dog thing was ... amusing, I guess. Not enough, however, to make me wanna subscribe, or ever watch another.