The deep dish pizza in the cast iron pan recipe

laceyvail 6A, WV
4 years ago

Dough

2 c. (11 oz) bread flour

1 t table salt

1 t instant or rapid-rise yeast

1 c/ (8 oz) water

Stir flour, salt and yeast together in bowl. Add warm water and mix until most of flour is moistened. Knead dough in bowl with hands until dough forms sticky ball, about 1 min. Spray 9" pie or cake pan with oil. Transfer dough to pan and press into 7-8" disk. Spray top of dough with oil. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 12-24 hrs.

Sauce

1 14.5 oz can whole tomatoes

1 t EEVO

1 garlic clove, minced

1/4 t sugar

1/4 t table salt

1/4 t dried oregano

pinch red pepper flakes

Place tomatoes in fine mesh strainer and crush with hands. Drain well, then transfer to processor. Add rest of ingredients and process until smooth, about 30 seconds.

Pizza

3 T EEVO

4 oz Monterey Jack cheese, shredded, about 1 c

7 oz mozzarella shredded 1 3/4 c.

Two hours before baking, remove dough from fridge and let sit at room temp for 30 mins.

Coat bottom of 12 inch cast iron skillet with oil. Transfer dough to skillet and use your fingertips to flatten dough until it is 1/8 inch from edge of skillet. Cover tightly with plastic and let rest until slightly puffy, about 1 1/2 hrs.

Thirty mins before baking, adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 400. Spread 1/2 c sauce evenly over top of dough, leaving 1/2" border (save remaining sauce for another use.) Sprinkle Jack cheese evenly over border and press onto side of skillet, forming 1/2 to 3/4 inch tall wall.

Sprinkle mozzarella over sauce. If using toppings, use no more than 1 1/2 c total and sprinkle half cheese over top of toppings. (They suggest sauteeing mushrooms before topping with them.) Bake until cheese at edge of skillet is well browned--15-30 mins.

Transfer skillet to stovetop and let sit until sizzling stops, about 3 mins. Run butter knife around rim to loosen pizza. Using thin spatula, gently lift edge of pizza and peek at underside to assess browning. If not browned enough, cook pizza over medium heat until crust is well browned--1-5 mins. Using 2 spatulas, transfer pizza to wire rack and let cool 10 mins.

Notes:

This all sounds much fussier than it actually was. Even the first time, it was easy.

My skillet was probably not 12" but 10" and it still came out great.

I didn't use their sauce since I had a roasted pizza sauce in the freezer that I make from my garden produce.

DO WEIGH THE DOUGH. BETTER MEASUREMENT

Comments (11)