SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_lagiakos

Pendant Spacing for a 6' Kitchen Island

Rachel L
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Seeking some design advice. I'm going with three small pendant lights (no greater than 6" diameter) over my 6' island. Ceiling height 9.5'. Seating is in a L fashion with 3 stools along the width, 1 on the side. No stovetop or sink, just flat countertop. I like the look of three pendants over two so will ensure I select small ones to try and not overwhelm the space.

Lights will be dimmable to serve as both task and accent lighting as there will be both seating and food preparation taking place here. Given I'll need task lighting, I need to ensure I have ample light coverage of the entire island. Even spacing will have the lights set 18" apart, starting 18" from the edge of the island. With a 6" shade, that leaves approx 12" between each fixture. Is that uncomfortably close for people's liking?

Also, does 18" from the edge of the island sound too far for visual aesthetics and light coverage? Should I start closer to the edge of the islands, say 12-15". That would increase the distance between each fixture to about 15-18".

What will look visually better and be more functional: narrow, even spacing or wider, uneven spacing? How noticeable is this? The island is part of an open plan kitchen living room, so it will be a highly visible space. Many thanks in advance!!

Comments (11)