SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alwayslisa

First floor flooring - manufactured wood or replace vinyl and carpet?

Lisa S.
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Our house is 19 years old and has original carpet and vinyl downstairs, about 1100 square feet, that includes an office, living/dining room, family room, kitchen, 1/2 bath, and laundry room. The vinyl runs through the kitchen into the laundry room. (First photo is near the front door, second photo is to show the place where the different floorings all come together.) We've recently replaced the carpet on the stairs and in all of the rooms upstairs with Shaw Anso nylon carpet. While I'm happy with that choice, I don't want it downstairs for a bunch of reasons. We recently got an estimate from one of the most reputable flooring places in town to put Abode Maple Harvest Moon manufactured wood flooring all downstairs. It's a color that we felt contrasts just enough with the maple cabinetry and goes nicely with the darker countertops, but isn't *too* dark (3rd picture is from the computer generated room you can create on Abode's website - wish I could throw an area rug down in the photo!)

Because of some bathroom updates along with the new carpet upstairs we've done the past year, we don't have an unlimited budget, about $10K is what we can spend, and the estimate is $16K, which includes all of the demo, a new subfloor (curious what people think about this part), the cost of the flooring, and moving of appliances. We'd have to put the baseboards back ourselves or find a handyman to do it, so that's potentially another cost (my husband is handy but his knees are bad so I don't want him doing this. Maybe I could though?)

I'm curious what others here would do?

1) Keep on with the hardwood plan but get more bids to see if the price will come down?

2) Or look at carpet and vinyl options and keep the wood entryway and flooring as it is now? And if you choose this, what would you go with in that regard?

Thanks for any help with this!

Comments (13)