SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_832424806

Accessible Beige and Agreeable Gray together?

Tracy Weber
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We’re renovating our main floor and will have a nearly completely open floor plan. (No pics—it’s all just a drywall mess right now). Cabinets are alibaster, countertops are dark gray soapstone, backsplash is a mortar washed brick with a fair amount of dark reds and near black bricks, and the floor is dark hickory but imho is special walnut. :)

The front wall and back wall of my house run The entire length without a break and are visible from every room. The same brick is also on a fireplace in the dining room and in the living room. So visible everywhere.

Pre-Reno I had painted my dining room Cotton Gray (Behr) and loved it. BUT I had painted my board and batten stairwell Dover White (remains) which reads as yellowy cream. I found the Cotton Gray and Dover White to clash.

I have narrowed my potential paint colors to:

1; alabaster (cabinets—already painted)

2: agreeable gray

3: accessible beige

4: white duck

5: fundamental white (currently on the risers in my stairs with the dover white walls And staying)

My dilemma: I’m worried that agreeable gray will clash with dover white at my entry.

I’m worried that accessible beige will give a yellowy tone to my alabaster cabinets if it’s near my kitchen At the back of the house.

I considered using both. Painting accessible beige in the front part of my house which goes well with Dover White In the stair well. Agreeable gray in the back part which seems to make alabaster pop a little more ‘white’ instead of cream (which I like). If I do that though, in the dining room, part of the room would be agreeable gray and part accessible beige—the two colors would meet.

(1) will those 2 colors work well in a room that doesn’t get much direct sunlight? Will they go together?

(2) for either of those colors, would alabaster be a good trim color? Or would you go with a more white white, like fundamental white?

(3) and white duck. I just like it. Maybe that instead of access beige? Or maybe that as the back wall color with accessible beige as the front walL color? Or maybe 3 wall colors?

4) Would alabaster work as a trim color for all of those? Or would you use a truer white like fundamental white?

I’m Truly suffering from decision fatigue. I was supposed to give colors my contractor today and I just couldn‘t decide. <sigh> and <help>

Comments (29)

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

Your suffering because you have two whites that don't play well together, one is very light gray/greige with and the other is a very light soft butterscotch beige.

You are right, Accessible Beige goes beautifully with Dover White (both Beige) and Agreeable Gray goes beautifully with Alabaster (both greige), but what you need is a single color that works with both.

Mother nature has a way of making everything work together breaking things apart with green.

This is your solution (unless you want to repaint one of your whites). I would go with Austere Gray. You could go with Conservative Gray if you want to go lighter, but I like the bigger contrast that will really make your whites pop.

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

Use Alabaster for the trim. DO NOT ADD ANY OTHER WHITES.

• Related Discussions

Paint Help - SW Agreeable Gray vs SW Anew Gray

Q

Comments (52)
    I have anew gray currently in my bedroom on the walls and alabaster on the trim. I think it would be beautiful to have the trim and perhaps the door also sw anew gray and the walls alabaster. Another look depending on the height of your ceilings, you could paint the ceiling anew gray with alabaster walls.
    ...See More

Is Sherwin Williams Agreeable Gray too blue?

Q

Comments (9)
    Just did Grey in my kitchen and wast have a very simular problem. Grey can change colors on you depending on the lighting and other finishes in the room. The modern Grey is most likely going to look more beige than grey with all the cream and beige you already have in your counters and cabinets. The Agreeable Grey will look more grey (if that is what you are wanting) and I think that the cream and beige in your counters and cabinets will tone down the blue quite a bit. That is the color I like the best from the sample photo you posted. I would get enough paint and try doing an entire wall (so the paint somes up to the cabinet and counter), then look at it in different lighting situations. Daylight and night lighting can really change the look of grey paint. The first grey that I loved looked great in the daylight but was a muddy brown/purplish mess in our night lighting.
    ...See More

Accessible Beige vs. Shiitake vs. Edgecomb Grey

Q

Comments (33)
    You made the right choice! It looks great and definitely is not too dark in your room. Also, I like that it's the same as your adjoining entryway (and coordinates beautifully with your kitchen).
    ...See More

Would you use agreeable gray and pale oak together in palette?

Q

Comments (11)
    Would you use agreeable gray and pale oak together in palette? No. Because Pale Oak and Agreeable Gray are essentially the same color Except Pale Oak is lighter. It's obvious when you look at two large-size samples next to each other. Both colors have potential to show up purple-ish in certain lights. That doesn't mean they are purple or have purple &quot;undertones&quot;. That doesn't mean they're &quot;taupe&quot;. It just means that low chroma, near neutral colors factually in this Yellow hue family range can actually show up warm, neutral with no discernible hue. Or - they can flash moments of purple/purple-brownish. We know because we have a framework of color data values that define, describe and order paint colors so we can easily track - and predict - how they show up.
    ...See More
  • Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

No you cannot use more than one color on a wall that does not have an architectural break and you do not want Accessible Beige and Agreeable Gray next to each other.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

Walls all one color; trim all one white; ceiling the white of the trim in flat. Regardless of what color you WANT, you must make sure it wiorks with the natural light coming in from the back of the house and the front of the house.

For instance: north/south exposure, try B.M. off-white Goldtone and Patriotic White for east/west exposure.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Make sure your lighting is all the same before choosing colors it is why I suggest LEDs in 4000K to keep as much yellow as possible out . No to too many colors in an open space and no I do not think the gray and beige work together

• Tracy Weber
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much! My dining room gets less light than the kitchen and family room, but they share a wall with no architectural break.

My kitchen/family room gets a good amount of light with windows on South, West, and North.

My cabinets are alabaster and can’t be changed. Given that it sounds like I’d do better to go grays instead of beiges and just repaint my stairwell to Alabaster.

I’m Definitely going to check out the other suggestions for grays as I would Like the white to pop, but Don’t want things to get too dark.

Tremendously helpful!

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

Make sure that the gray you select works with your furnishings, floors and carpets. Changing one color often leads to changing everything else if it is not well planned.

Pictures of your space and the things in your space can be helpful.

• Tracy Weber
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks. Right now there’s nothing in my space and most of my things are in storage.

I‘m sincerely hoping that the brick red rug I used previously is still going to work. Red is my color. But if not I have a cream rug with a gray and tan arabesque design that may. ( see pic). It seems to go with everything. My sofas are tan (See pic) and while I have a variety of end tables in darker wood tones, the coffee table I hope to keep using is pretty darned close to alabaster (See pic). Lighting in pics is from a lamp. My ‘living room’ is currently crammed into a spare bedroom. Reno is not for the faint of heart!

I am adding 2 leather chairs with ottomans. Not yet chosen

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

Consider a warmer tone,

• Tracy Weber
    Original Author
    4 years ago

After reading all the advice I think I’m going to take my cabinet door to SW and have them color match. The color name is alabaster and it’s close to SW alabaster samples but not exactly the same as the color sample. I think if they color match they can tell me for sure what the undertones are in the cabinets which might help me pick an appropriate color.

Interestingly when I read about SW alabaster it says it has tan/beige undertones—warm family. And when I put accessible beige next to it, it definitely reads as a tan white. I would have said gray too though. I have it in a bedroom upstairs and when there’s no natural light it looks straight up gray.

Style wise, I love all the monochromatic stuff I see—but my heart isn’t happy without some contrast (hence the red rug, red bricks, and soapstone counters).

• Jamie Schroeder
    4 years ago

SW Alabaser is definitely a warm white - It is on their list of warm whites. Our home is an English Tudor with LOTS of beautiful stained wood throughout. I have SW Alabaster color several places in my home (Including my kitchen cabinets) . I despise "cool" whites...and on my kitchen walls is SW Kilm Beige - absolutely a beautiful compliment to Alabaster white cabinets!

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

Tracy

What I am hearing is that Red is what makes your heart sing. Your home should make your heart sing!

You have your white - getting the cabinets color matched is the right answer.

You have your reds - brick and brick red carpet

You have a tan - sofa

How I wish I was close by and could bring bigger samples to your home and help you pick the colors, but you can do this. You have been picking outfits to wear for how many years? You just need to think of this the same way you have thought about clothing and makeup and jewelry.

Pick up a bunch of color strips from SW - pick up the lighter and darker neutrals. Don't discriminate - they are free. pick some yellow -beige, green beige, orange beige, pink beige, taupe, greige, blue gray, purple gray and green gray.

Take the door that you are taking to be color matched, a cushion from the sofa, a sample of the brick from the kitchen and your brick red carpet or something smaller that is the same color.

The other thing you need is a white sheet or towel or plastic cover and a small card table.

Take everything outside in afternoon sunlight. Lay all your colors out on the table that has been covered with the white sheet.

Look at all the neutrals you brought home - what sings with your other colors?

Usually it doesn't take long to notice that the samples that you picked up that were in a specific family keeps catching your eye and screaming at you - this is working! Kind of like picking out several shirts and holding them up with a pair of slacks and a red blazer and picking the one that works.

Once you have the hue figured out you can narrow down to the specific color. Pick 2 or 3 and then get the bigger samples of these. Paint 8 1/2 x 11 sample sheets and look at them again (once dry) with your color samples. Paint a few of the one you like best. Hang them all over the place inside your home. Look at it next to the cabinets and by the front door and with your furniture. Look at it in the morning, afternoon and evening. Are you still in love?

If so, it is now time to paint.

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

I like to paint color samples on 240 lb water color paper (buy it at Michael's, Hobby lobby or other craft store). It doesn't warp like so many other papers.

• Tracy Weber
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jennifer thank you SO much! I’m working on something similar to this today but hadn’t thought to take it outside! And hadn’t considered bringing in the sofa cushion and rug (with a little work I can dig it out of storage). Super helpfu! I’ll share my results :)

• Tracy Weber
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok. I didn’t go outside but I got samples and painted various locations in the great room. I included a sofa cushion, a brick, and a cabinet door. And I some you can see the floor—though it’s covered in drywall dust. I have 2 colors I like. My husband likes one of them. Without saying which, I would love to see your opinion.

<ignore the canary yellow—it‘s leftover from an ill advised yellow phase ?)

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

It is really hard to tell colors well on the internet and I don't have large samples of SW colors, but my feeling is that the Accessible Beige is too beige and may fight with the sofa, Agreeable Gray seems just a hair too gray and Worldly gray has just a touch more beige than Agreeable Gray.

Without seeing them in sunlight or physically being in the space my vote would go to Worldly Gray.

• bbtrix
    4 years ago

I have SW Alabaster in one of my investment houses and SW Agreeable Gray with Alabaster trim in my home. I love both colors and the combination. Here’s a pic I took of the floor, but the walls are Agreeable Gray and the trim Alabaster. It’s a soft, neutral gray, it reads warm in my home.

• Tracy Weber
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for the picture. It does look beautiful with the flooring!

• Tracy Weber
    Original Author
    4 years ago

i was leaning toward worldly gray for the warmth, but everyone else I show this to picks agreeable gray. I think though they are picking it because it’s the lightest color. it looks fabulous in every room but in the room that has the most light, it is very much a true gray (almost blueish). Heading back to SW tomorrow to see what a lightened version of worldly gray looks like. Thanks all for your input! Who knew picking paint would take longer than picking cabinets and countertops?!

• bbtrix
    4 years ago

What kind of lighting do you have? It’s interesting that Agreeable Gray is bluish in your home. It’s warm in my house, even the darkish hallway. I see no blue in mine.

• Tracy Weber
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This was late afternoon daylight in a room with a lot of windows. Unfortunately there are no light fixtures in our actual space yet. In the rooms that get less light, it definitely reads as warm. But in the main living area a little cool looking. See that last photo in my previous post.

• bbtrix
    4 years ago

I always do my testing with large samples on poster board or paper as Jennifer suggests. When you line the colors up next to each other it changes everything. You need to test them independently on all walls at different times of the day. The picture I posted is on my lower level with no sunlight. In my kitchen with tons of natural light it is very soft and pale. It’s a lovely neutral that goes well with warm and cool accessories. My family room posted above has a beige/tan sofa and dark brown recliner. I’m getting ready to paint the remaining walls with Agreeable.

• Tracy Weber
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have painted canvasses to do this comparison the right way. Before that I narrowed my choices to agreeable gray and worldly gray, but then got a sample of worldly gray at 50%—which I know is my color. It is super close to agreeable gray but is just the slightest bit warmer. Agonizing process but I’m ordering paint with full confidence now. Thank you all for your input!

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

So happy that you found the perfect color!

• magflo1
    3 years ago

@Tracy Weber Do you have a final pic of the wall color showing 50% lightened worldly gray? I'm in a similar position. I have Alabaster trim in my home and leaning towards Worldly Gray but I find it a bit too dark and I've heard that lightening/darkening formulas isn't reliable. I'm curious to see what your end result is.

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

Alternatives to cutting the formula,,,

• mdefree
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Wordly gray and anew gray will make the alabaster molding pop , but anew gray have more contrast. Contrast invites the eye in and is what gives the wow factor. The more contrast the more drama. It gives your room a canvas where the tone is set to decorate and the music begins. Alabaster cabinets are beautiful with contrast when paired with black brushed granites and black matte knobs and handles. Don’t be afraid to contrast your wall color with a deeper chroma. As a designer, I see lots of people going lighter and before you know it the walls are all white. Look at paintings and study the art in museums no one paints an all white painting.

• Courtney J
    3 years ago

Love this conversation because I also am deciding whether Agreeable Gray is the color to go with. I’m also getting ready to redo hardwoods and install new - changing from Gunstock to more brown, less red tone.
    @bbtrix - can you share what floors are in your investment home you showed?