SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kudzu9

Hairline crack repair in plaster

kudzu9
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

My daughter just bought a 1940's house with plaster walls. The house is in good shape, but there are a number of hairline cracks in the interior plaster that she would like me to repair before she re-paints. None of the cracks looks serious: I suspect they have been present for decades, the surrounding plaster is well-adhered, and none of the cracks look like they need to be excavated before filling (or maybe a tad here and there). I've got extensive experience with drywall repair, but not with plaster. Since the walls have a slight texture to them, I prefer to not fill and tape the cracks because I think there is a likelihood that a smooth patch line might be obvious due to a slight difference from the existing surface. My inclination is to apply a thin bead of something flexible, like painter's caulk, and then rub it into the small cracks as I think it would be less likely to open up than if I simply spackled and didn't use tape.

I'd appreciate any critique of this approach, or alternate suggestions that don't involve running the risk of mismatched surfaces.

Here is an example of one of the walls:

Comments (9)