SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trilliuminpdx

repairing cracks in plaster ceilings and builtins

trilliuminpdx
18 years ago

So I've read the preservation brief on plaster repair that gets posted here, and maybe I got a little lost, but I'm hoping you dedicated old house owners can help. I have a 1938 house with plaster everything and it all needs painting (although some a lot of it needs wallpaper stripping first...sigh). I'm wondering about the cracks in the ceiling. They don't look big enough to do the taping and replastering thing, but I don't trust the paint store guy that says to just use this spray stuff in them. I couldn't quite figure out what the preservation suggestion was when you have a small width, very long crack.

When I was having the home inspected the inspector and real estate agent suggested using caulking in the cracks in the corners of a built-in storage cupboard and drawers in the hallway. It's very stinky (like the dead dirt smell in the crawlspace) and the hope is to seal up the cracks, paint, and it be an ok place to store linens and towels.

My question is, is this spray foam or caulk a valid treatment for the inside of the cupboard? Do some of you just paint over the cracks on your ceilings and walls like my friend who owns a similiarly aged house?

thanks

trillium

Comments (2)