SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrea_walheim

help solve the mystery of the disappearing arc fault breaker!

andrea walheim
4 years ago

I live in a rural valley in central WA state and I am no stranger to being ripped off by local contractors (severe lack of competition) but I am in the process of trying to figure out what happened with the electric portion of my kitchen and garage remodel. I was hoping someone here might be able to venture a guess.

I had a water damage claim that resulted in me having to remodel my kitchen. This involved new cabinets, new configuration of counters, added floor to ceiling pantry; so some added electric receptacles and moving some pendants and ceiling cans, new under cabinet LED lighting, replacing the old ones on my old cabinets.

The highly recommended local electrician gave me a quote of 4 to 5k which included the pulling of a permit as there had been a water damage claim.

They did most of the rough in, then it was the day of the electrical inspection. As per the code change in 2015 (or thereabouts) my kitchen GFI outlets had to be replaced with arc fault breakers and outlets. They had had some trouble with an added pantry circuit, but I assumed they got it worked out. The day of the inspection, the owner of the company (Mike) called me to say that as soon as the inspector left, they were going to remove one of the newly installed arc fault breakers and replace it with a regular breaker. But they had to do it after the inspector had passed the panel, since new codes required arc fault. I asked why would they change my breaker back down to one that was not to code as when I went to sell my house I would have to reckon with this. Mike assured me that it was “perfectly safe” and that is the way it was in his house and when I was concerned and questioned him further, he said that the arc fault breakers had to be on a dedicated circuit and I had too many outlets and switches daisy chained together and if I wanted that arc fault breaker, he would have to “rewire my house” and it would cost me another couple thousand dollars.

I replied that I had Building Ordinance Coverage through Farmers Insurance and THEY would pay the extra dollars and that my house had to be to code when the remodel was finished. I was ignored and have had a hell of a time getting this contractor to return to finish the job. I hired him in July of 2019, it is now January of 2020. I have consulted with another electrician who said he had no idea what Mike was talking about, as arc fault breakers do NOT need to be on dedicated circuits.

My house was built a decade ago and has a 400 amp panel. Nothing really was that old or out of date and there is plenty of free spaces on both panels. I don't have a zillion outlets attached to each breaker on the panel like I did in my 100+ year old house in Philadelphia. So what he said was pretty much bulls$%t.

I am considering calling the building inspector to ask what is going on, especially since I might have to hire a new electrician to get this job finished. I paid the electrician $3200, but will not be paying him a dime more until he finishes and resolves the arc fault breaker issue. He has started to dun me for work he has not even completed yet.

My suspicion is that he let the drywallers close up the walls (they were open in the kitchen as well as in the garage below where my panel was so it was very easy to run new wire without having to deal with my attic) before they completed the rough in. Mike did not admit his mistake and did not want to eat all of that extra labor, so he tried to complete the work in a shoddy manner.

Anyone have any thoughts or guesses as to what might be going on here?

Suggestions on how to handle the delicate issue of reporting a possible license violation on the part of this contractor?

I am open to any and all theories. I will probably end up getting it done right with another contractor and suing Mike in small claims court for the return of a portion of my money. I would rather not go to that length for $2000 + damages, but he will turn around and try and lien my house so I need some teeth of the law to stop him in his tracks. I do need to give him an opportunity to make the situation right, however, before I try and mitigate my damages and pursue remediation for having done so, according to a good friend who is an attorney.

Sorry this was long - thanks in advance.

Comments (15)