SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_smith6227819

Been reading on the kitchen forum

Kathsgrdn
4 years ago

because I want to put in new cabinets and flooring next year. 99% of the people helping to design/give suggestions want plain white cabinets, gray and or white everything else. And white subway tile. I hate subway tile. It's really hard to get ideas when everyone on that forum seems to like and only post white on white or white on gray kitchens. One I saw today, I actually liked before they made everything white, changed the lighting to that awful led blue tinted light that everyone told them to change to. Before the kitchen was warm and inviting, now it's cold and stark white.

I want white cabinets but don't want a plain cabinet door. I also want a mostly white Corian countertop but do not want a white backsplash. I'm thinking of painting the walls a green color but haven't decided on which one yet. I also have no idea on backsplashes. I don't like super busy ones but I don't want any type of subway tile. I don't really care what's in style now. It's hard to find ideas when everyone is doing ultra modern stuff now. I have a local cabinet installer putting together a visual idea of the kitchen with the type of cabinets I told him I wanted and the configuration of my kitchen now. I guess I'll wait and see what he comes up with.

Comments (80)

• nickel_kg
    4 years ago

Do ya'll think kitchen size matters, when it comes to color? We moved from a big kitchen constructed in neutral colors, where I had plenty of room for splashes of accent color. Our current kitchen is quite small, no room for artwork or accents. We used colored tiles for the backsplash. I think an all-white tiny kitchen would have been cold and overly sterile. So, is size a consideration?

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lindsey, I don't mind the subway tile in that pattern, it reminds me of brick, but not sure about a total white kitchen, not really into that.

I'm thinking of tearing out the back wall of the kitchen area and putting in a laundry room/storage room and place for the hot water heater. The washer, dryer and hot water heater are now in a closet in the kitchen. I really hate that. Hard to clean around so I only do it every several years. It would give me another wall to use for the kitchen cabinets. I've also always wanted a separate laundry room with a large table to fold clothes on and maybe a storage area for things like my Christmas tree. I am in the middle of clearing out junk from my house. I'm tired of the clutter. It's all either going to the kids or the Salvation Army. I also don't want my kids to have to gut my house after I die in order to sell my house or clear the junk out.

I also thought about turning the current smallish living room into the laundry room/storage room and grow light room by placing a wall at the entrance and making a hallway to the kitchen area. I am taking the current sunroom off the house eventually and could extend the kitchen/dining area into a great room with the kitchen/dining/living room. I told a friend about this and she thinks that would be a bad idea for resale in the future. I thought most people would rather have an open concept even if it is toward the back of the house. What do you all think? I wouldn't have to move plumbing much, as the washer and water heater would be on the other side of the same wall they're on now. But my friend says it would be so much more costly and would affect the resale. She thinks I should move my laundry room into the garage, which would mean putting heat and insulation out there. It would also mean I would have to do my laundry in a not so inviting area, in the garage, down two steps. I'd rather have it in the main part of the house, in a sunny, warm, room and have room for my grow light set.

I should get some graft paper and plot out the current layout and possible changes. If I do the changes it would be 2 or 3 years from now instead of next year.

• Related Discussions

Finished Soapstone Kitchen

Q

Comments (6)
    Dorado did the sink and the installation. I'm afraid I don't remember the young man's name, but he worked for Dorado. I love my soapstone and my sink! I also love the Dorado dry wax. I used the mineral oil in the beginning (the kitchen wasn't finished yet). But that doesn't last very long. When I got the dry wax (it's expensive and you have to order it), I'd do a section in the evening, go back over any spots that looked like it needed it several times before bedtime, then buff it off the next morning. And that lasts a long time! Good Luck!
    ...See More

Finished Soapstone Kitchen - Pic heavy

Q

Comments (35)
    Everyone, thanks for your kind words! Knowing the wonderful kitchens many of you have and the kind of work some of you do, it really means a lot! atct87 - the hardware is 16" wide, although the door is wider - 18". I'm thinking you aren't going to find one 24" wide unless it is a multi one for recycling. Not that you have to use it that way if your city doesn't recycle. The link below gives widths - just scroll down the page. They get wider and wider, but I don't see any Hafele systems on this page. Some sites make you really search to find the measurements you need.
    ...See More

Source for liquidated door levers

Q

Comments (4)
    iroll - this is a fantastic tip! That's what I've been missing. Whenever I searched Ebay, I'd only come up with sellers who had one or two levers for sale. So I was loosing hope for Ebay. I just tried your suggestion and it opened up a world of possibilities for us. Thanks very much!
    ...See More

Kitchen Layout feedback request

Q

Comments (10)
    Thanks for the feedbacks. Herbflavor: we had a few different layouts where dinning area in different area. Each layout has pros and cons. I had been changing back and forth for a year, finally chose this one. It is unusual dinning area. It is a good point about the view. There used to be a wall b/w dinning and kitchen, a door from the entry hall and another door from the kitchen to the dinning room (yes, was a room, now it is an Area). the kitchen was narrower (fridge can't fit on the wall where the range is) With the wall. but we like it to be open. So we open it up. Maybe we need a frosty glass door for the laundry room rather than a glass door. Any suggestions? Remodelfla: I was thinking about the pre sink. Then I thought I would prepare (washing and chopping) on the counter b/w main sink and range. I will still reconsider it though. Palimpsest: i am not 100% sure what do you mean by reorient the kitchen. do you mean rotate the island so the seatings are facing to the sink and yard window? I am back and forth on this one. It is better view for people sit on the island seatings, but if I am cooking, then I couldn't see everyone. I am still undecided about the island direction.
    ...See More
  • Lindsey_CA
    4 years ago

@Kathsgrdn - You could do whatever color cabinets you want, with a Flemish Bond Brick pattern backsplash out of a color tile that you like. (Gretchen's kitchen isn't all white - her island is blue.)

Whatever you do, though, I would recommend against putting your washer and dryer in the garage. Even if it's an attached garage, it will be more uncomfortable to do laundry than it would if the machines were in the house. I speak from experience -- our first house had the laundry in the attached garage. You entered the garage from the door at the end of the hallway and the machines were immediately to the left. Our garage was a "finished" garage (fully sheetrocked and painted, but not insulated), so it was cold in the winter and hot in the summer. And garage floors are not as easy to keep clean as an interior house floor.

• Lukki Irish
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Yeah, I have to agree about the washer dryer in the garage idea...but how big is the garage? Maybe you can take some space from it to add to the interior? I’ve seen that done successfully a couple of times when the garage is level with the house and over sized a bit.

Regarding the backsplash, I think it would be wise to put it on the back burner for now. That’s one of the last things to go in so why not wait until after you have all of the other stuff worked out. Just keep your eyes out for something that catches your eye.

• desertsteph
    4 years ago

"I should get some graft paper and plot out the current layout and possible changes."

that's a good idea. mark windows and doors with measurements and room measurements. you'd probably get lots of input from here!

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Okay, I've nixed the washer and dryer in the garage idea. I didn't really care for it but it would free up a good sized area for the kitchen. I would just hate the idea of going into the garage, down two steps to do my laundry. The garage is a large one car, that was sheet rocked and painted before I bought it. The previous owner was in the middle of making it into a den. I doubt there's a lot of insulation and heat was never put in.

I'm still considering turning the living room into a laundry/storage room. Then making the kitchen into a great room. Tomorrow after my PT appointment, I'll pick up some graft paper and attempt to plot everything out the way it is now. Take some pictures. The house is a mess, though, with my daughter's things packed in the living room and the kitchen being dismantled and decluttered of junk long overdue to be cleared out...like all my fridge magnets. When I took them off, the fridge looks so much older and gross than I remembered. Paint peeling off, yellowed spots from where the previous owner had stuff stuck on there that wouldn't come off. I will try and find some old pictures of the rooms, if not will take new ones with the mess.

• Lindsey_CA
    4 years ago

For the sake of future resale value, turning the living room into a laundry/storage room might not be the best idea.

Try to find graph paper that has 10 squares to the inch, and then use a scale of one square equals one foot. Be sure to take into account the thickness of interior walls when you're drawing the layout. Walls generally have 2x4 studs, which are actually only 3.5 inches, then there is sheetrock (drywall) on both sides. The sheetrock is 1/2 inch thick, so having it on both sides adds an inch, for 4.5 inches width per wall. If you have any plumbing in the wall (e.g., for sinks), it will be wider.

• desertsteph
    4 years ago

after my PT appointment, I'll pick up some graft paper

you can also print graph paper from online if you have a printer at home.

• desertsteph
    4 years ago

The house is a mess, though, with my daughter's things packed in the living room and the kitchen being dismantled and decluttered of junk long overdue to be cleared out

don't worry about those things... houses in process often are. if someone doesn't like looking at it, they can scroll on by! my house has been a mess since I moved in - I was sick then and still am and have had 4 surgeries in the past 3 yrs. so not much has changed or is getting done. I keep hoping i'll get more done so the kids won't have to deal with it someday - but I only take one day at a time.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think I've come to my senses and am back to my original plan, to just redo the kitchen, leaving the laundry closet as is. Here is the kitchen/dining area. Not a perfect sketch but I tried, twice.

The actual kitchen, notice the strip of laminate on the left near the toaster oven that I tried to glue back on a few weeks ago. First tried an iron, then bought glue made for counters. Neither worked. I gave up. I know it probably lasted 20+ years but I'm going to probably use Corian when I redo the kitchen. My friend suggested I put the sink in the corner instead of under the window. Not sure how I feel about that. It would free up some counter space next to the stove. I also thought of putting a wall in oven and cooktop on the island but didn't think about having to vent it...now thinking that's not so good an idea.

The other side, laundry closet, door to garage:

The dining area, sorry for the mess, deep cleaning the whole house and purging it of junk, reason for the huge box on table. I'm also in the middle of putting a grow light kit together, using the table to save my back. The rolling shelf thing with my albums, cds, and record player is going to go. It's basically a dust collector. In it's place I thought of a tall cabinet with no shelves I have to dust that I can use as a pantry. Where the table is I want a built in seating area and table.

White cabinets, white stone looking countertops and green walls. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm going to go look for the Corian I found at Home Depot a few weeks ago.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I forgot to post the dining area...

All that stuff on the walls will come down. Oh, and I want cabinets up to the ceiling so there is no reason for this old lady to climb up there to clean them. Will it look okay in such a small kitchen?

• maddielee
    4 years ago

Is your friend a kitchen designer? Corner sinks are not the best design element, especially if there is no view.

Post your floor plan and budget requirements over on the Kitchens forum. Go in knowing that you will not like everything that is suggested to do. But you will likely get some knowledge that will help you.

Or take your floor plan to Ikea, Lowe’s or HomeDepot and start getting ideas from the people who work in the kitchen remodeling sections to start getting ideas if you don’t want to call in a Kitchen designer. These folks may not be certified designers but most will be able to give you ideas.

Kathsgrdn thanked maddielee
  • Lindsey_CA
    4 years ago

Yes, cabinets up to the ceiling will look fine. You can store very-rarely-used stuff on the top shelves, or just leave them empty.

I agree with MaddieLee that a corner sink is not a great idea if there is not a corner window. My kitchen does have a corner sink, but there are windows on both sides of it so I've got a view out to the "east wing" deck and the pool.

Your drawing shows French doors that are 6' 3" wide to the left of the stove, although they aren't shown in your pictures. Would you consider changing the double French doors to a single on the left side? That way, you could put in additional counter space (and cabinets) to the left of the stove where there is currently only a small counter. And you would then also have room for a longer island.

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

In the last photo, is that a piece of furniture you want to keep? Could you make that a large cabinet to the ceiling with glass front shelves to the ceiling and a counter?

I agree, you should just have one large under mount sink in front of the window. Will save on plumbing too and a corner sink is not practical.

I had Corian and didn’t like how it eventually scratched on the surface. Be sure that is really what you want. Granite is pretty hard to beat and can withstand most hot pans on it without worry and is easy to clean.

• desertsteph
    4 years ago

I do think posting it on kitchens is a good idea. just ignore those who think you need to put in 100k kitchen etc. I also remember from my yrs on kitchens that the corner sink was usually more of a problem than a help. I put my mw across the corner area. I'm too short to be able to reach anything else in that area anyway.

if it was my kitchen and I had enough $s for new appliances and some changing in venting the fan, I'd put the fridge on the left end of the sink run, a smaller sink and the dw between them. then I'd put the stove on the other side where the dw/fridge are now. I don't cook much anymore and would put in a 2 hob induction stove top with a small oven under it. I use my AF and IP more. I haven't used more than 1 stove top burner in about 20 yrs so don't have the need for a big stove (tho that's what I have now). I'd gladly remove it for 2 hob induction w/drawers under it if I had the time, money and could put up with even more mess in my kitchen!

I wouldn't put floor to ceiling cabinets on the other side of the room. if you have problems getting to what's up high to dust now, you'd have problems getting anything in or out of the upper cabs too. I know I would. but you could run lower cabs across that space. maybe on either side some that are higher with glass doors to keep the dust off what's inside, with lower height cabinets connecting them, with drawers to store things in.

I'd probably put sliding doors (barn style) on the laundry area. I wouldn't want the door(s) closed when either was working and I wouldn't like either standing open (I'd probably walk into it and hurt myself).

where were you thinking of doing a 'built in' eating area? your table and chairs are in an open area now.

and if you think your place is messy, you haven't seen messy yet. wanna come visit? lol!

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I went to a cabinet maker in my little town. I gave him a worse sketch of my kitchen than the above one and asked for a ballpark figure for cabinets I had picked out of what he had. He is going to do a computer generated picture for me. I told him it would be done next year. He also makes other furniture and I asked for a quote on a "breakfast nook" that would fit in that space by the livingroom entryway. Am planning on a trip to Ikea with the same friend I mentioned above sometime in March. I thought about getting their cabinets but they are 3 hours away and most of their stuff is more modern looking than I like. I could talk to them, though, and get ideas. I tried to use their planning software on their website but failed miserably.

Lindsey, yes, I would consider changing the doors, but then less light would come into the room. Will think about that, though.

Outsideplaying, no all that will go, table and chairs included. I did ask the cabinet guy for ideas on a pantry in that spot, to match the other cabinets. I requested no shelves though. I don't want shelves I have to dust. I did ask for some glass and I asked for lit up glass at the tops of all the other cabinets. Not sure my ceilngs are tall enough for them but will see when he finishes the plan.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Desertsteph, the breakfast nook would be in the corner where the table and chairs are now but in that corner.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    4 years ago

My kitchen is small, like yours - smaller, actually, no room for an island! Cabinets to the ceiling made it look bigger IMO. I have a lightweight stool that I can easily grab when I want to reach the top shelves; I love the extra storage.

I would make the French doorway smaller too, if you can afford it. Perhaps you could also afford to enlarge the existing window, if natural light is a concern. With the island you have enough counter for prep, but it seems that the appliance arrangement is just awkward. Sink in the corner would not help, but a smaller single basin (like my Blanco Stellar 28" in a 30" cabinet) would. And remember, the sink does not need to be centered under the window - I like to be able to look out the window more when I am prepping that when I am doing clean up at the sink.

Even if you don't like the styles of Ikea, it is worth a trip to get practical ideas for storage and function in a small kitchen IMO.

Do post in the kitchen forum - there are some posters who are very talented at design, not necessarily pros, who might be able to make great suggestions. Of course there are some who will respond that aren't helpful, or don't even read what you have said, but just ignore them! That is the nature of internet forums.

Start by making a list of what you do like, and don't like, in your current kitchen (mostly about how it is to work in it). Is the lighting good enough? Do you need more storage? Can you use a smaller dishwasher?

PS LED lights are not necessarily blue. Some like the 4000 - 5000k light temp, which is too blue to suit me; I prefer 3000k, which is neutral to my eyes; others like 2700k, but I find that too yellow.

Kathsgrdn thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I will post at the kitchen forum. One thing I don't like about my kitchen is lack of countertop space when baking or making large meals. It's usually just me but when my kids come and I have to make holiday meals it's not good. I also hate that my garbage can is on the other side of the island, near the table. The cabinet maker wants to put a pull out drawer in the island. I would still have to turn around to dump whatever I'm throwing out, like vegetable peels, which I would rather just have right under the sink. I really want large drawers in the island to put pots and pans, and lids, along with other serving dishes. I want to get rid of having to get on my knees to get stuff out of the bottoms of cabinets. Putting the trash/recycling cabinet in the island doesn't leave any place for those large drawers I want unless they are in the dining area cabinets. My dishwasher isn't being used right now. I need to call and have it repaired. It's almost brand new and this is the second time it has clogged up and not drained properly. I haven't used it in a year or two. I just keep putting it off. So, apparently the dishwasher isn't a big deal for me. The lighting is fine, large french doors and a window in the daytime. At night there is a ceiling fan in the dining area and a track light with intense light that really brightens everything up. I do want to change that fixture, though. It's not very pretty. I would like to have under the counter lighting and lights in the very top cabinets. I have to get ready to run and get my dog from the vet and gas the car up but then will post on the kitchen forum. Thanks for all the ideas.

• maddielee
    4 years ago

You have a good space, you can make it a nice kitchen.

Ask yourself how often you actually use the stuff on your counters. If less then once every few days, you need to Be able to store them.

You will free up counter space by putting your microwave over your stove. (Some people on the Kitchens forum will disagree, but it works for many.)

why can’t you put your garbage can under your sink? Most people can.

you really can have a functional kitchen that will work for you.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Maddielee, the new kitchen will have a recycling bin and garbage which wouldn't fit under the sink because of plumbing. This is what the cabinet maker told me. I guess if it was just one small garbage can it would, but I really would like to get rid of the Trader Joe bag in my laundry closet that I store recyclables in until it's full to take out to the bin. The microwave above the stove is where this cabinet maker was planning to put it, then I read on the Kitchen forum how that is a big no no. I'm not sure why, something about it not venting good enough, I think?

• maddielee
    4 years ago

Pick and choose what you want to believe works for you on the Kitchens Forum. The vent you currently have over your stove works the same as a microwave vent. If that worked for you, an over the range microwave will also work for you.

we have 2 bins under our sink (double sink, disposal on one side) they hold enough to get us through a couple of days. It’s not a big deal to empty them when they are full.

Kathsgrdn thanked maddielee
  • sjerin
    4 years ago

I'm sorry Maddielee, but microwave vents are VERY weak. If one doesn't cook much it will be fine, but for lots of boiling or sauteing, it's better to have a stronger vent--they come in many different strengths.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well, looks like my post at the kitchen forum is now on page 2. lol. A few people posted on it, one telling me that $25,000 wasn't going to be nearly enough to do my tiny kitchen.

• nicole___
    4 years ago

Kathsgrdn....Have you gotton a quote on it yet?

FYI: that photo I posted of the kitchen with the pole....$33K! I purchased the house from my co-worker and he went broke remodeling the house he inherited free & clear.

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

I love a pullout garbage can. We have one in our island that is a tandem setup, basically the depth of the island, so one could be used for recyclables and the other for trash. (I compost so most garbage goes there.) I totally get it though if you want big pull out drawers for pots and pans, so you will have to figure out with your cabinet guy what you can do. I also love using a skinny space for flat pans, cookie sheets and trays.

You could also consider a microwave drawer. Some like them and it would get it off your counter. I don’t use mine all that much so it wouldn’t bother me at all to put it out of the way. You might be different. Our lake condo has the microwave above the stove. I hate it. The air just blows back into the kitchen, it’s noisy, and isn’t very powerful. It was there when we bought the place and I would love to change it. You need to look at the cfm rating for the vent hood or for whatever you decide to install. And the quiet factor.

Kathsgrdn thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nicole, not yet. He did send a message last week that he was out of town and would be back soon to work on it. Hoping to hear from him next week, even though I have over a year to worry about it. Unless it is going to be much more expensive than I thought. How expensive were the appliances that were put in that kitchen? I can live with cheap white appliances. As long as they work, I really don't care.

• desertsteph
    4 years ago

A lot of people in the past (on kitchens) found great buys on close outs for their appliances. When the new models come out you can get great deals on those from the prev year. Do you have a disposal? that takes up space under the sink. I remember lots of people recommending sinks with the drain toward a back corner - leaves more space under cab for trash bin. look in places (W, T, Amazon etc) for a trash bin that isn't very deep so it won't run into the plumbing.

yeah, no doubt you'll get those who will tell you that you'll need to spend major big bucks... you'll need to see what your cabs will cost and go from there.

I have less counter space than you do and I have my mw, AFO and IP on my counters. but I never cook for more than myself and my dog. I couldn't use an over the stove mw, I'm too short and couldn't reach into it. I don't even know how taller people use the stove w/ the mw above - wouldn't it be in their face? wouldn't like that either. I only use 1 burner on my stove so I removed the coils on 2 of them (will be removing the 3rd too). I just have to figure out what to put over that 3rd hole. I put one of my cookie sheets over the 2 on the left side. maybe a cake pan... I don't make cakes anyway (they came with a set). I do use one sometimes to bake something in the oven.

drawers, drawers, drawers! you don't want to be bending down to lower shelves. I can't do that anymore. my lower shelf on my large base cab I don't use for anything I think I might ever need to use. the upper shelf I put a bin on each side and store my plastic storage containers in them. I can just slide 'em out to find what I need.

Kathsgrdn thanked desertsteph
  • desertsteph
    4 years ago

my post at the kitchen forum is now on page 2

I looked for it but couldn't find it. scanned thru p 5. can you link to it?

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

Desertsteph, I am tall and I hit my head on that over the stove microwave allthe time. Another reason to not like them.

Cabinets with pullout drawers are great no matter what the size. I do prefer full deep drawers and you can easily accommodate those.

I forgot to ask, Kath, are you going with a taller cabinet? If you currently have 30” cabinets, a 36” will make a huge difference. Even if you are taller, the extra storage capacity really makes a difference, especially for the drawer space you want.

If you have a smooth cooktop, get a large cutting board (or two smaller ones) and use it on top when you need more serving space. I use mine a lot for that when I am finished cooking.

Since you have time, do shop around for appliances once you have your measurements. You can save a lot by finding close out deals or sales. Don’t buy into those ‘packages’. Find what you want.

Kathsgrdn thanked OutsidePlaying
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    4 years ago

I'll take this blue kitchen (from Better Homes and Gardens). Mind you, I have a brand new, updated kitchen that came with the house in 2015? was it? White cabinets, dark counter, stainless steel stuff, and burgundy/grey backsplash. Shiny chrome pulls and crystal knobs. So opposite of this.

• Michael
    4 years ago

PS LED lights are not necessarily blue. Some like the 4000 - 5000k
    light temp, which is too blue to suit me; I prefer 3000k, which is
    neutral to my eyes; others like 2700k, but I find that too yellow.

Today's LED lighting can be controlled by the switch or phone app and tuned/ adjusted to your preference. Shop for tunable lighting only and you'll be able to create your own preferred settings between 2700 - 5000 kelvin.

Enjoy the journey!

Kathsgrdn thanked Michael
  • nicole___
    4 years ago

Kathsgrdn....for THAT kitchen "I" posted: the cabinets were soft close full extension Thomasville w/ built in's, the convection gas stove top has 5 burners & a griddle & an electric warming drawer. So a few dollars could have been saved there, but there are only a few cabinets. I think your custom cabinets and quantity of cabinets will cost a ton. I'd be curious to hear your quote.

Kathsgrdn thanked nicole___
  • sjerin
    4 years ago

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but prices throughout the US are all over the map, with my area among the highest. So you really have to get your own bids before you can make any cost judgements.

Kathsgrdn thanked sjerin
  • Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Outsideplaying, yes, taller cabinets if they fit in my kitchen. He was going to let me know.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    4 years ago

Kathsgrdn, the old coots who were the main crew for my contractor told me that I couldn't put trash/recycling pullouts under my sink either. They were so wrong!

I started by choosing a 30" sink cabinet, then the Blanco Stellar 28" sink with the drain set center rear (I love this sink). I was able to install a garbage disposal (Waste King), soap dispenser, and two wire pullouts- one 24" deep, from Rev-a-shelf, that came with 2 trash bins; the other from Target that is about 18" deep. The 18" one is on the side with the pipes. I replaced one of the Rev-a-shelf bins with a smaller/shorter one from Ikea. That one is my trash, the taller one set in the rear is my recycling. On the other pullout I have a small lidded metal trash bin (with a liner that lifts out) for my composting scraps, and supplies like dishwasher detergent, cleanser, sponges, and so forth. I even have a long, narrow, side wall pullout bin (also from Ikea) above the short pullout where I keep dust clothes, measuring tape, a roll of package tape, and gloves. On the inside of the door on that side I also attached a little wire bin to hold my lotion bottle! That cabinet is full, but efficiently useful!

They also scoffed at the idea of toe kick drawers, which I thought about but didn't do. I think I could retro fit one or two, though.

I also bought my new Fridge, stove and dishwasher from a Sears Outlet (scratch & dent) and another Sears store (floor model). Probably saved over $1000 that way.

Kathsgrdn thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • share_oh
    4 years ago

We moved to our house almost 2 years ago. My husband did most of the remodeling work himself - he put in a kitchen where there wasn't one (the existing kitchen became a laundry room). We both tried to come up with a plan we liked but it was very hard. We went to Home Depot and the lady there completely re-did what we thought we wanted and we ended up with a wonderful kitchen we both love. We didn't break the bank either.

I'm not good at having "vision" and to look through all the possibilities is way too overwhelming to me and not enjoyable at all. Good luck with your remodel! It is wonderful to have a brand new kitchen when it's all said and done!

Kathsgrdn thanked share_oh
  • desertsteph
    4 years ago

I was able to install a garbage disposal (Waste King), soap dispenser, and two wire pullouts- one 24" deep, from Rev-a-shelf, that came with 2 trash bins; the other from Target that is about 18" deep. The 18" one is on the side with the pipes.

yes! it can be done. I remember reading posts on kitchens by those who did do it. those sinks with the drain toward the back help make it possible.

• blubird
    4 years ago

I saw your plans included a double sink. Most people are taking those out and replacing with a single large sink; it would also increase your counter space. If your technique for washing dishes include soaking, those with single sinks have used a plastic tub to soak and then can be removed. A single sink allows you to submerge larger pans. If you want to spend lots more you could get one of those sinks which have cutting boards and covers, but I don’t think that's what you’re looking for

i also suggest that you include drawers instead of doored cabinets, no to pullouts where you have to first open a door then pull out shelves. I also think that you have to find place for trash and recycling. I have a pullout cab which houses 2 cans, I for recycling , 1 for trash. Since they're only 13 gallon cans, I have a recycling bin in my garage, since that's only a once a week pickup, but I have more recycling than real trash.

p.s. My kitchen is not much bigger than yours. I would still put in a trash/recycling cab so you don’t have to walk around a standing trash pail. It was also a godsend because the dogs were always getting in it.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Blubird, I hate having the garbage outside the cabinets. I forget to take the bag out and put it in the sunroom when I go to work or leave the house. If I forget, my dog, Emily, will turn it over and make a huge mess. I also don't like putting a partially filled garbage bag out in the sunroom but I also don't like dragging a whole can out there either so I just do the bag. I also asked the guy for mostly drawers not pull out cabinets.

• sjerin
    4 years ago

Good call on the drawers; I have them only, except for under the sink and LOVE them. They really save my back.

• Jasdip
    4 years ago

Rob, I love the kitchen you posted. Interesting that the gas cook-top is situated under a window. I've never seen that. There's no vent though.

My dream of winning the lottery is to stay where I am but change out the kitchen. Replace all the bottom cupboards with drawers to start!!! :-D

• desertsteph
    4 years ago

I'm all for drawers too! bending down wasn't good to do when I could still do it but I can't now anyway. other than the sink cab I only have 1 24" cabinet with a door. I do have 2 that are about 12-15 wide and use them to store cookie sheets, lids I seldom use and a few misc things I seldom use. the bigger one I put 2 plastic bins in and that's where I store plastic containers. then I have 2 that each have 3 drawers. I need more drawers! I'm thinking of adding a 4 drawer Ikea base cab - I have the space to put it but I'd need someone to put it together for me. in the past I could have done it myself but this new older me can't do it. if I did change out cabs they'd all be drawers except the sink cab. but I'm sure I won't ever do that. too much in $s, mess and stress. I do have a good sized pantry just a few feet away on the outer side of the kitchen.

• share_oh
    4 years ago

I'll second the drawers! I only have one set, very large, but I wish I had given up another cabinet for more drawers. Love them.

And I agree with the large single sink. It's wonderful - everything fits! I bought a plastic bin in case I wanted to wash a small amount of dishes. Have never used it.

• desertsteph
    4 years ago

kath - go on kitchens and reply to a post (anyone's) on your remodel thread to bring it back to p1. it's on p3 now.

• stillpitpat
    4 years ago

I came over here to see if there was any progress on your remodel since your thread on the Kitchens forum has slowed down. I was going to offer encouragement, as my kitchen is even smaller than yours (9 x 16, no room for an island), I did Corian counters, and I also eschewed the white subway tile (I went with turquoise glass) but since you twisted the comment I made out of caution, I won't bother. I was genuinely concerned that you might be setting yourself up for an unwelcome surprise, as labor costs for a complete remodel can be pretty high. That is why I asked Is this basically a gut remodel? Tearing out and replacing everything? And changing the layout? I am concerned that $25,000 may be too low for that. Would that include labor? How on earth did you manage to turn that into A few people posted on it, one telling me that $25,000 wasn't going to be nearly enough to do my tiny kitchen? I don't know how much it's going to cost, so I certainly was NOT saying that. I don't know what labor runs where you live. I don't know what your brand new cabinets are going to cost. I was honestly offering caution because you indicated you were concerned about costs. I was shocked when we got our first quote to redo our kitchen, about 10 years ago. I could not believe the price, and we decided to put our plans on hold until last year. And I was again surprised by the cost, as you may be when you actually start getting numbers. But sure, interpret my caution however you want.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    4 years ago

Kath is your bathroom big enough to put your washer and dryer in? My home is bi level with the kitchen, utility and half bath, dining room, family room and garage on the lower level. Some years back we put in a second washer and dryer on the upper level in the master bath upstairs and I am so very glad we did as I don't go down stairs much now at all. My son has his washer and dryer in their master bath too.

Sue

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

No Marilyn Sue, both bathrooms are very small.

• jane__ny
    4 years ago

I'm following this thread because I am also trying to figure out how to put in a new kitchen.

However, I wanted to tell you that our house had the laundry in the garage. I was horrified when we looked at this house 7 yrs ago. We loved the house, but I hated the idea of doing laundry in a garage. I came up with an idea and hired a contractor to take about 12 ft from the garage, and make a laundry room which is now off my kitchen. It has a door to the laundry and is next to the door to the garage.

Our garage was deep and didn't impact parking our cars inside. There was a step down to the garage, but the contractor had cement poured and raised the new laundry to the same level as the interior of the house. The length of the new laundry room is about 20 ft. I had him put in some old cabinets and counters found in the garage. I am thrilled!

I have this large space to do my wash, counters to fold laundry and plenty of room to store all my mops, buckets and my cleaning stuff. The space is on the other side of a bathroom so the plumbing was easily accessible. I put in a small slop sink.

I think it cost me about $10,000. It was money well spent. It is off my kitchen but since it has a door, can't be seen from the kitchen.

I do live in Florida so cold weather did not play into my decision. The thought of clean socks, shirts, etc. falling onto a dirty garage floor made it the first priority when we bought this house.

Look again at moving your laundry room inside the house. It is money well spent.

Jane

Kathsgrdn thanked jane__ny