SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

2020 Tomato Grow List

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

This is my shockingly short tomato grow list. Usually I grow around 50 varieties, and there have been some years when I have grown more than 100. Cutting back to only what I'll grow in containers as a form of crop rotation has been really hard. It will be good for the veggie garden to have a couple of nightshade-free years to let the soil recover and to clear out any diseases and pests that might be building up as a result of having grown huge amounts of nightshades , literally in every single raised bed every year, whether for spring or fall, in the same area since 1999.

The current plan is to have one plant of each variety growing in large containers---mostly in molasses feed tubs that we've used for at least 15 years now. Varieties listed are open-pollinated unless I added the F-1 to indicate they are hybrids.

Here's the list:

Black Cherry

Cherokee Carbon F-1

Gary 'O Sena

Homestead 24

Mule Team

J. D.'s Special C-Tex

Jetsetter F-1

Nebraska Wedding

Radiator Charlie's Mortgage Lifter

Sioux

SunGold F-1

Vorlon

This will be the smallest tomato planting I've done since moving here, and probably the smallest tomato planting I've done since the 1980s when I worked full-time and had a small child who required most of my time. I think 12 plants is too many for what we need this year since I don't intend to can, but I couldn't make a smaller list without giving up too much diversity.

The four tomatoes chosen for their ability to produce heavily even in the hot summer weather are Homestead 24, Mule Team, Jetsetter F-1 and Sioux. If I didn't have to worry about which ones actually would produce well once we are insanely hot, I could have planted only 2 hot weather types instead of 4, but our heat is so hard on tomato fruitset in summer that I wanted a good variety of this type, in case the heat shuts down a couple of them early

There's my list, y'all. Now, where's yours?

Dawn

Comments (31)