A New Decade's Game CL IV
6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (212)
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Discussions
What do you think of this CL deal?
Comments (12)The ad says they paid $1800 for it. I think I found it on the EA website; http://www.ethanallen.com/product?productId=848&categoryId=8001 If this is the sofa, the price paid makes sense. I appreciate all the feedback, and yes, sometimes I do need to hear that what I have is better; it's only about comfort and our current sofa has a straight back and not much depth, so it keeps you sitting upright. I thought that's what I wanted due to the relatively narrow space we had to work with. In hindsight, the sofa is used to watch TV, not really for conversation; so having one with some more depth and the ability to lean back in it is what I'd rather have. I also wish we'd gone with the three cushion style; we do seat three people there fairly often and I think it would be more comfortable. The seller may be playing games with me; in setting up the appt. for Monday she made a point of saying that she had someone else coming to look but wanted me to have first dibs since I was the first to contact. So not sure this one is going to fly; especially if I make a lower offer. Even if I love it, I don't think I'll pay more than $500. With the hassle factor of arranging delivery, etc, that's going to be my limit. So we'll see. Here is a link that might be useful: ethan allen preston sofa...See MoreSeeing CL Game Table in 45 minutes - Worth the trip?
Comments (23)Thanks so much for your support, everyone. I have to say, this table has been growing on me pretty steadily, and now i'm really loving it. Knowing you all think it looks good in that spot (better than what i had there, yes?) makes me feel all the more confident i should keep it there in the entry. And i admit, i'm also relieved to know i didn't pay too much for it (i just can't bring myself to haggle). Valinsv, thank you so much for posting here. You know how i feel about your room, so your vote of confidence is deeply appreciated. And now i know what color Restore A Finish i should get! Leahcate, i think i know what you're saying about the flipped up table top, but it looks like i'm keeping it under the mirror so it will have to remain closed. I'll definitely post before/after pictures once i work on it. When you see a close up of the current finish, the damage will make you wince. I hope i don't muck it up. Barb5, thank you also for your vote of confidence, and i might as well comment here about the magnificent woodwork you did in your dining room! The fruits of your labor must have you bursting with pride. Well done. Bigdoglover, you're right about the versatility. That does make it so much easier to justify, and your point about having no regrets in the long run is spot on. In this economy, i can't help but to experience a stronger initial sting over what is essentially a purely self indulgent purchase. But already i've gotten over that (with all your help here), and i'm feeling good about it. :) Thanks again everyone. Cheers!...See MoreI just hate it when CL buyers nickel and dime!
Comments (32):-) I would not have driven that far normally except that I really have been wanting a vintage desk for my DD's room and the neighborhood was in a nice area near the city that I am somewhat familiar with, so I felt comfortable making the drive. The seller not ponying up extra pictures should have been a tip, yes. But I felt rushed because she was moving out and it was a now or never kind of thing. Usually in those circumstances I go "safe" and just let the item go but in this case I went for it. I must say that I'm a little taken aback by the notion (I'm not saying they were directed toward me) that seemingly "well-off" people shouldn't use craigslist or the thrift store. I could probably come across as being at least a little well-off. I drive a new SUV (only the second new vehicle in my life) and carry an expensive handbag. I like to wear nice clothes. But my SUV is very "basic" inside, not many extras. I have only one handbag to my name, I take care of it, and it is several years old. At home we manually chop firewood and heat our house with an outdoor wood furnace. I wash out my plastic ziploc bags and reuse them rather than grab a new one, I brown-bag every single day, and so on. I do like to be frugal in some ways  not buying new furniture is one of those ways. I don't have the money to buy all the new furniture pieces I want for the house, so used is my option. I certainly don't "over-haggle" and most craigslist prices I've seen I thought were fair and paid them without question. I would not falsely denigrate an item if I really thought it was great. I agree that would be annoying. If I want to barter down, I would say  I really like this, but I am only willing to pay X for it  if you still have it and want sell it later for that price, feel free to re-contact me. I have to agree that it is not so much the price that the original seller paid, but rather the fact of what the buyers are willing to pay that drives things. If anyone is still reading, all my dealings with craigslist thus far have been very good  I make sure I have email and phone communications with the seller ahead of time, and they must come across as very "normal". And the neighborhood has to be safe / low-crime or I wouldn't go. I always let my DH know exactly where I am going, and take someone with me. The items I've sold, I've always met the buyer in a busy shopping center parking lot....See Morenew CL loveseat - how did I do?
Comments (64)Thanks, Loribee. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Hubby says we can head over to Macy's tomorrow to look at the Chloe and a few other chairs. Maybe look at ottomans too because Cassie has decided she loves the loveseat with the ottoman from my office for her head. :) springmeadow - I was hoping that too. But the backs of them, where you place your head, were almost brown with dirt and wear. Ditto the arms. Threadbare in those places. Then we checked them over to see if they would be worth recovering, even though it would be expensive, but hubby said there was evidence of breakage at the bottom of one and on the leg of the other. Still looking. I would really like to keep it at around $500/$600 a chair, if possible. The Chloe is on sale right now for $449....See More- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

ORGANIZINGHow Much Stuff Is Enough?
Play the numbers game to streamline your belongings, for a neater home and a less-stressed you
Full Story
LIGHTINGWhat to Know About Switching to LED Lightbulbs
If you’ve been thinking about changing over to LEDs but aren't sure how to do it and which to buy, this story is for you
Full Story
DECLUTTERINGDownsizing Help: How to Edit Your Belongings
Learn what to take and what to toss if you're moving to a smaller home
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESSecrets to Shopping Craigslist
Frustrated with your results nabbing Craigslist treasures? This hard-earned wisdom will help you bring that perfect piece home
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESBudget Decorating: How to Decorate Smart and Slow
To make the most of your decorating dollar, forgo the disposable stuff, think vintage and free first and give yourself a splurge
Full Story
MOST POPULAR5 Ways to Pare Down Your Stuff — Before It Gets in the Door
Want to free up some room around the house? Rethink gift giving, give yourself a shopping mantra and just say, ‘No, thank you’ to freebies
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDES8 Lessons on Renovating a House from Someone Who's Living It
So you think DIY remodeling is going to be fun? Here is one homeowner's list of what you may be getting yourself into
Full Story
MOST POPULAR4 Obstacles to Decluttering — and How to Beat Them
Letting go can be hard, but it puts you more in control of your home's stuff and style. See if any of these notions are holding you back
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNNatural Swimming Pools: More Beauty, No Chemicals
Keep your skin and the environment healthy with a pool that cleans itself, naturally
Full Story
DECLUTTERING10 Types of Clutter to Toss Today
Clear the decks and give the heave-ho to these unneeded items
Full Story
carolyn_ky