SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dwt122

Replace compressor or buy new heat pump?

D T
4 years ago

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Recently, the air flowing into the home was cold/lukewarm at best. The only time the air gets warm/hot was if AUX kicked in.

Contractor #1 indicated indoor and outdoor units were fine. He diagnosed the issue as slightly low refrigerant and charged it up based on my heat pump's charging chart. Paid about $300 and indoor air was slightly warmer. I got in writing that contractor will credit us the if the issue persists or if it's something else.

The next day, I noticed cold air was blowing through the vents again and the outdoor unit was not running. I did some basic troubleshooting courtesy of Google and YouTube. Discovered circuit breaker was tripped and I might have a bad compressor.

I have 2 proposals so far. Both contractors confirmed bad compressor and that it's still under warranty.

Contractor #1 (same as above)
* 1st option is to replace the compressor, filter, clean lines, and new refrigerant for $1500 ($1800 estimate - $300 credit). Includes 1 year manufacturer parts warranty.
* 2nd option is to replace the outdoor unit with a Carrier 25HCE436 for $2800 ($3100 estimate - $300 credit). Includes 10 year manufacturer warranty.
* Also indicated if they discover TXV is bad, it will be another $600 to replace/fix it.

Contractor #2
* 1st option is to replace the compressor, filter, clean lines, and new refrigerant for $1570. Includes 1 year manufacturer parts warranty and 1 year contractor's labor warranty.
* 2nd option is to replace the outdoor unit with a Carrier Sentry CH14NB03600G for $3690. Includes 10 year manufacturer warranty and 2 year contractor's labor warranty.

Both heat pumps appear to have the same exact specs except the Carrier Sentry is for new construction. Not sure if this matters or if there are any other differences.

I live in the suburbs about 40 min north of Philadelphia. My current system is about 8-9 years old with a 10 year manufacturer's warranty and uses 410A refrigerant. Outdoor heat pump unit is a Bryant 215BNA036-A and the indoor unit is a Bryant FB4CNF042 with an external TXV. Both units were installed at same time.

Should I just 1) replace the compressor, 2) buy a new outdoor unit, or 3) buy new outdoor unit and indoor air handler?

Comments (9)