SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_647860647

living room needs help

V Smith
4 years ago

We just got our living room painted after wallpaper removal, and now I need some help with furniture arrangement and decorating. There's a lot I don't like about the room but am stuck with so I'd like to try to downplay some of those elements (like the dark wood trim, which is staying, and the carpet) and turn it into a room I actually somewhat like, if possible. I wanted a washable paint for the walls and the contractor said people mostly use eggshell but semi-gloss is more washable, and said he thought the paint we have in one hallway was semi-gloss, so I said to go with that, but I didn't know it would be so...shiny...turns out the hallway paint is NOT semi-gloss...and now I don't like the paint either.

I would like to add more color and interest to the room while working with some of what we already have. It seems really boring now. I am going more for practical than fancy as we have 6 kids ages 1-14. Part of the living room needs to be a play space for the younger kids as we don't have a playroom. I do NOT want throw pillows for the couches...I would be picking them up and retrieving them from other parts of the house constantly. I need drapes, and maybe some more artwork, and ??. I can put decor items on the piano but not on the coffee/end tables (kids will break or run off with). We're eventually going to replace the coffee/end tables show in the before pictures with a farmhouse-style coffee table, and maybe no end tables at all.

I'm attaching pictures of the room as it looks now, and some before pictures showing the furniture arrangements we had pre-painting. The one wall still needs painting.

Comments (69)