Making Pralines. Forgot last step. Can this candy be saved?
6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (22)
- 6 years ago
Related Discussions
The last hurrah - show us your last blooms!
Comments (125)Mike, VCR's very fragrant and smells just like a rose. Even with just this single bloom I can still detect faint whiff of it from a distance. I know a vendor in Oahu who sells VCR cutting for $16. If you want it, let me know and I'll be happy to pick one up for you when I'm there. Wow!! that Scentational is still there? I kinda wanted to get it last month but it wasn't on sale. $40 seems reasonable enough! :) Did you see that giant plumeria plant I found in the Asian market around here? Could it be a promising sign plumerias will soon be available in our state? LOL Kenny...See MoreLOOKING for: Candy!
Comments (7)CHOCOLATE NUT TOFFEE (about 12-15 pieces) 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts 1 stick butter (8 TBL) 3/4 cup packed brown sugar 6 oz pkg semisweet chocolate chips Spread the nuts in the bottom of a well-greased 8" baking pan. Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan, add the sugar & boil the mixture for 7 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour immediately over the nuts; let stand a few minutes. Spread chocolate chips on top. Cover with a bread board to keep in the heat. When the chocolate has softened, spread evenly. Refrigerate. When cool, break into pieecs.~~ TURTLES 8 oz soft caramels 2 TBL heavy cream 1 cup pecan halves Melt caramels in heavy cream in top of a double boiler. Arrange pecans in groups of 5 (a head & 4 legs.) Spoon caramel in a small mound in the middle of the nuts to make the body. The caramel should partially cover the nuts to keep them in place. Let stand until hard. Coat body, head & legs with dipping chocolate. Dipping chocolate 1 lb semi-sweet chocolate Melt chocolate in top of double boiler. Stir with a spoon while chocolate is melting. Be careful not to drip ay water into the chocolate or the chocolate might "seize." Spoon melted chocolate over body, head & legs of turtle.~~ CHOCOLATE RASPBERRY TRUFFLES 1 1/3 cups + 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips 2 tBL heavy cream 1 TBL butter 2 TBL seedless raspberry jam Confectioners' sugar to taste Combine 1 1/3 cups of the chocolate chips with the cream & butter in the top part of a double boiler. Cook over hot water until smooth, stirring constantly. Stir in the jam. Allow the mixture to cool, then freeze, covered w/Sarann wrap for 20 minutes. Shape into balls. Place on a cookie sheet. Freeze until firm. Melt the remaining 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips in a double boiler over hot water, stirring occasionally. Using a toothpick, dip the candy balls 1 at a time into the chocolate. Place on a cookie sheet. Chill until set. Dust w/confectioners' sugar.~~ CREAMY PRALINES (about 18) 1 cup packed brown sugar 2 cups granulted sugar 3 TBL light Karo syrup 1 cup milk (evaporated makes richer pralines) 4 TBL butter 2-3 cups pecan halves 2 tsp vanilla In a heavy pot, combine the sugars, Karo & milk. Cook slowly, stirring constantly, over moderately high heat. Add 1/2 the butter when the candy first comes to a boil, then continue to cook until it reaches 236° (soft ball). Remove from the heat, add the remaining butter & beat, using about 150 vigorous strokes. Add the vanilla & pecans & continue beating until the candy becomes slightly lighter in color & is more creamy. This is the most important step. While the candy is still hot, drop onto buttered waxed paper so that it will form smooth creamy pieces about 2" in diameter. Allow to harden before serving.~~ (From A Cook's Tour.)...See MoreDiet Pals--April 11---18--Step away from the Candy
Comments (20)Hi everyone! It's been raining in Scotland this weekend. Yesterday went to a motor show and froze my tail off with high winds...I was starving (think it's getting on to that TOM...I am always hungry before it starts. Doubt I have lost any weight but I am comfortable in my current reduced clothes. I know I ate too much yesterday - too much. Another week of good eating and yesterday - oh oh! Struggling but not giving up. Today going for a walk to the garden centre - ran out of compost and have a ton of seed packets so needless to say will be placing another delivery order. Might drag my wheely bag with me and get some smaller bags of compost that I can drag home...and of course if there are any plants that need to be rescued! Today is a new day and I have to get outdoors, get moving and get planning some soup for the next few days, get some lighter meats out and have some yogurt. Really did not want to post yesterday after everything...I felt so bad about myself afterwards but this morning I thought - get yourself back on the board, be honest, get it off my chest and get moving today. I have lost 14 - 17 pounds which puts me at the halfway point of my overall goal and struggling to get things moving. Here we go - glad to read everyone is still sticking with it and making progress. No matter how small the steps are they still put us one step ahead of where we were. Looking forward to the garden centre, going to get moving and scrubbing things today. Biggest challenge next week - staying active mentally at work - some days are boring and I could munch all day - so I drink lots of water and go to the loo a lot. Have a fabby day today! McPeg...See More(help me) Step-by-Step "Filling the Cabinets"
Comments (50)" if feels less overwhelming and more like an interesting puzzle" good going carrie! keep us posted on your progress. I decided I should do something similar. With all my stacks of stuff to 'to do'. I'm going to plan on attacking 3 a day - and if I get 2 done I'll be so pleased. small steps. I'm starting with the stack of papers by my bedroom window. It WAS a stack until my dog thought she saw someone waaaay out at the road thru the 6" I had the blind pulled up (and window open). the papers went flying to the floor. I did rather swish them together - but not good and still on the floor... so that's 1st. I even have a few empty folders to put them in by category (it's car, doc, vet receipts etc). I already made myself make a trip down the road to my sister's to drop off my trash (I take mine there to be picked up). I'd been putting that off for at least a week. Getting serious with organizing my pantry is on the list (it was once...). plus several boxes of paper 'stuff' from when I moved 2 or 3 yrs ago... good grief! if I die before this stuff is done, my son will kill me!...See More- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

WALL TREATMENTSCan't Find the Right Wallpaper? Make Your Own
For one-of-a-kind walls, just use your imagination. Custom wallpaper is easier and less expensive than you might expect
Full Story
LIFEYou Said It: ‘The Wrong Sink Can Make You Hate Your Kitchen’
Design advice, inspiration and observations that struck a chord this week
Full Story
MOST POPULARSo You Say: 30 Design Mistakes You Should Never Make
Drop the paint can, step away from the brick and read this remodeling advice from people who’ve been there
Full Story
BEFORE AND AFTERSKitchen of the Week: Saving What Works in a Wide-Open Floor Plan
A superstar room shows what a difference a few key changes can make
Full Story
DECLUTTERINGSmall Steps for Keeping Your Housekeeping Resolutions
Take a different approach this year, making simple, positive changes that add up before you know it
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN10 Big Space-Saving Ideas for Small Kitchens
Feeling burned over a small cooking space? These features and strategies can help prevent kitchen meltdowns
Full Story
GARDENING AND LANDSCAPINGHow to Make a Pond
You can make an outdoor fish paradise of your own, for less than you might think. But you'll need this expert design wisdom
Full Story
ENTERTAINING10 Steps to Pull Together Your Living Room Before the Holidays
Boost comfort, flow and visual appeal in your main entertaining room to make guests feel more welcome
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGNTry These Bathroom Remodeling Ideas to Make Cleaning Easier
These fixtures, features and materials will save you time when it comes to keeping your bathroom sparkling
Full Story
SAVING WATER11 Ways to Save Water at Home
Whether you live in a drought-stricken area or just want to help preserve a precious resource, here are things you can do to use less water
Full Story
lindac92