SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sharon2079

Picking a rose for rootstock

sharon2079
4 years ago

How do growers decide what roses make good rootstock. Is it a trial and error thing. I know that here in Florida the rootstock of choice is fortuniana.... and yes I have had roses on Dr. Huey and they make it about year before growing backwards to their demise unless they live in a pot. I have few roses that are own root that are in the ground and have been so for several years.... I lost several rose bushes this past year that were on fortuniana.... no one has been able to daignose what the problem was .... I took the bushes to a couple of rosarians and they were not able to help....

anyway so one of my roses that is own root is Dark Desire. This rose is quite vigorous. Plus, a couple of the ones that died on fortuniana were either close to him or next to him.... making me think this guy is really a healthy rose.... I do spray this rose, because it is in the bed and I try not to skip any roses when spraying. However, some of my roses will have blackspot before they get sprayed, but this rose never has any blackspot .... so how would I know if it would make a good root stock....

If I wanted to try it..... not that I could get it to root.... because I am not that good at getting roses to root..... what would I need to do.... first I see this rose was started in 2003.... am I allowed to root him... is he still protected by copyrights... and is the copyrights for the entire bush ie making flowers.... or would it be possible just to see if he would make a rootstock. If it isn't still under copyright and I do get it to root, how big does the plant need to be to graft something onto it.... what keeps the plant from putting out more dark desires instead of the new grafted plant.... Has anybody tried this rose as a rootstock...For those of you who grow and graft roses do you think this rose has potential in being a good rootstock.

Thanks

Sharon

Comments (2)