SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snowcountry

Chandelier over tub

snowcountry
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Do these two work together? There's a big picture window next to the tub. The lighting is 19" or 29" wide, the tub 36" x 65".

Comments (74)

• snowcountry
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@JAN MOYERThe ceding is at 9'.

@jandsmomI could change it out myself. What I am not sure of is the design. The angular shape of the lamp may crash with the curvy tub and rough finished vanity.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

To be honest, a matte black faucet seems more in keeping with that vanity. Sharper geometry would better suit the sconces too. Nobody can advise on the light, (you have no specs as to its height, only the width ) . At this point, I'd decide what look you are really after.

I don't love the sconce and light combo. Two different feelings there : )

snowcountry thanked JAN MOYER
  • Related Discussions

Bathroom Fixture Finish Dilemma...Advice needed please!!

Q

Comments (6)
    Just wanted to say I agree. I like mixing finishes actually because I prefer a vintage feel and sometimes matchy matchy can read as too modern. However, the 2 finishes I think you really can't match well are chrome and polished nickel. Instead of looking like you did it purposely, it looks like you are trying to pass one off for the other. They aren't different enough to 'blend' them, so you're only option is to pass them off as the same. They ARE close enough that if you have small items, they would be fine.... In my half bath, the toilet paper holder and the rim around these little porcelain knob/hooks are polished nickel and everything else is chrome. There is so little of the nickel that I think I'm the only one who notices it (but believe me, I do notice it and it bugs me LOL.) I just think that the tub fixture is a LOT of chrome, and you couldn't try to pass them off as the same.
    ...See More

Crystal chandeliers are like fashion models...

Q

Comments (16)
    Sapphire69, thanks for bringing up this topic. I use a weak solution of mild soap and water, rinse with clear water, and dry with a paper towel. Through all these years no harm done. The real PITA to me is the tiny individual wires which spread open here and there to catch the drying towel I am using. Microfiber cloths might help with that to reduce catching. For years I've puzzled over how to solve this problem -- glue the wire ends together? Use a tiny sodering iron? (Does one exist?) If someone could solve this problem I'd be forever grateful. Schoolhouse, zowie!!! that is some chandelier!!!! Love it, but I'd never want to be the one to clean that baby. I'll think of you the next time I'm tempted to grumble while cleaning mine. This post was edited by Texasgal47 on Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 1:49
    ...See More

Chandelier over bath tub

Q

Comments (10)
    Brickeyee is correct, you may install a light fixture over the tub, but it should be an approved light fixture like the type installed in a shower stall. The chandelier must be entirely 3' away from the rim of the tub if it's less than 8' above it. Here is a link that might be useful: Naples, Florida Home Inspector
    ...See More

Chandy Over Master Bathtub

Q

Comments (37)
    "SO....EVERYTHING in your house meets or exceeds the current codes?" The electric code does NOT work like you think. If an installation met code when installed AND inspected, it continues to meet the code even as the code changes. You are NOT required to update to the latest code. It changes every 3 years (though some places do not adopt every new issue). It also carries the force of law if it is adopted. I have NEVER installed equipment in violation of the code. NOT EVEN ONCE. Falling is the least of the problems. It is not designed for a wet/damp location. The entire thing could become live, and even make water on the wall live. The GFCI MIGHT save your life, but they also fail regularly. When was the last time you tested yours? Is the GFCI for the chandelier going to be checked regularly? Water splattering on a hot bulb can also cause them to break. This can result in hot glass and metal falling. If you look at fixtures for above a tub or shower you will notice the bulb is ALWAYS covered and protected. Be sure to keep your life insurance up to date.
    ...See More
  • snowcountry
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am afraid you are right. I could do matte black faucets. The darkest color for sconce is orb. The faucet doesn’t come in orb. The tub filler comes in chrome only. I thought satin nickel and chrone go better than matte black and chrome.

• snowcountry
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I was also looking. I found a diamond backplate.

Do you think black faucet will go with a chrome tub filler?

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    4 years ago

NO. Doesn't meet code. Not safe. Darwin awards are still given out for this.

I'm repeating this not just for @snowcountry but for those who will read this and DIY.

@jandsmom Hopefully your bath won't be used by a guest or a child.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Crome tub fill????????????? No. You are in five different feels here. Frankly? Maybe that should not be your VANITY.

You can't just pick items in islolation and expect great. You want a glam spa? or a rustic retreat ?!

Why the chrome?!

I;m already exhausted : )

• jandsmom
    4 years ago

Can you do a mock up of them together? I'm horrible at that stuff but there seem to be plenty of people here who know how to do it. You might get a better perspective.

snowcountry thanked jandsmom
  • snowcountry
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@JAN MOYER They come in chrome only. That's why I was thinking satin nickel for the others.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

I think something like this would work better with your original choices, either in the middle of the room or over the tub if you have the clearance to meet code. Also, I hope you were able to try out your tub in person. The straight sides look like they would prevent you from leaning back or resting your head.

Terrell 3 Light Semi Flush · More Info

snowcountry thanked calidesign
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

@ snowcountry

"The house isn't built yet"

I will tell you right now, you need to get yourself an interior designer, local and on board soon.

You are headed for a mish mash, and possibly not the home of your dreams, simply because of a flawed selection process.

You keep saying, it doesn't come in this, or that. You stated the tub filler only comes in chrome. Tub fillers come in many finishes. As do faucets, lights and bath sconces. There are a million styles and shapes in all of these, from almost as many manufacturers and sources,

I will ask again. What is the end feeling you want in the bath? Because your selections need to lead to that feel in a finished result.

What you do NOT want is a chrome tub fill, satin nickel sconces, and an aged iron light. You especially do not want that when they do not even share a styling commonality , other than you like them individually. All rooms, are the SUM of all their parts; an "orchestra" , and a result that leads to beautiful music. Or unintentional discord.

Start making idea books. Do that for this bath, for any other rooms as well. At the very least, post your inspo picture for this bath. Not just a tub in front of a window with a light hanging above : )

• snowcountry
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@calidesignThanks so much. Your post is very helpful. My choice for the chandelier is problematic. I will look into the lighting you posted. Yes, I tried the tub. You don't get to relined far. But the lumbar support was good surprisingly and you get to sit deep.

@JAN MOYER I like spa glam without sleekness and I like rustic without going too far. My choices for the tub and the vanity are ok together. If I give up the chandelier, my choices should work. Matte black works better for the vanity but satin nickel de-emphasizes rustic and goes better with chrome. The tub filler is floor mounted and finish choices are limited. Inspiration photos below. Not sure why two of them came out so small.

GRIFFIN ENRIGHT ARCHITECTS: Hollywood Hills Residence · More Info

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Pick ONE Satin Nickel or chrome. Change the tub fill, since you already have the faucet and the sconces.

Heres a page full of them. My god...........satin nickel, brushed nickel...all the SAME. Ditto the shower fittings. Or mix it your way, and all over and come back and weep later.?! The chrome and satin nickel is too close to mix well. Chrome looks best with MORE chrome, save black for a light or mirror frame. . And chrome does not suit your vanity. At ALL. Design is commitment and editing. To whatever you are going for which is a bit too all over the darn place.

https://www.google.com/search?q=satin+nickel+floor+mount+tub+fills&sxsrf=ACYBGNRXnSb3nDiRdTx6hW4lYVOkDiP5Wg:1576334462583&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj4tsG9r7XmAhWll-AKHQVfDCkQsxh6BAgOEC4&biw=1728&bih=877

• snowcountry
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I don't have faucets or sconce yet. I don't have the vanity or the tub, either. I am still looking around. I like the savoy lighting calidesign posted except it is bit heavy. Would this work? It is 15" wide 16" high. Satin nickel.

• snowcountry
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I picked a Kohler floor mounted tub filler, slender looking stillness. It comes only in chrome. Besides, the faucets look heavy in nickel or black. Would chrome work with my vanity? If it does, I would go for all chrome.

• Kirsten E.
    4 years ago

I would spend some more time going through inspo pics and identifying what it is you really like about each space to help you define your style. As you’ve described it, I can’t get a clear picture even with the pictures you posted. Spa glam and rustic are polar opposites in my mind, and I think it will be difficult to get helpful feedback regarding cohesion of your fixtures until the vision itself is solidified. To that end, tile selections and your other interior finishes are a big factor in that as well.

snowcountry thanked Kirsten E.
  • snowcountry
    Original Author
    4 years ago

No tiles. Plain wall. Plain concrete slab floor. I like to mix things up. I am trying not to be too contradictory.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Concrete slab floor, and that vanity start a statement. Would I put chrome with the vanity? No. As to slim "stillness" ..............it can be had in satin nickel. Fall in love with another fill.

If you want a glam juxtaposition with the floor? Choose a DIFFERENT vanity and get chrome shower, faucet and tub fill............all KOHLER and all from the same collection.

You have absolutely no clue where you are going. None. An intentional juxtaposition is far different than a look of " I simply want everything. " It's your house. Do as you like, just don't end in misery. Minus a lot of money to boot.

• User
    4 years ago

Advocating for something illegal and dangerous deserves a flag.

• snowcountry
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@JAN MOYER"Would I put chrome with the vanity? No." That's what I thought. The best I can do is satin nickel. Stillness comes in chrome only. I could switch to kohler purist. That comes in vibrant brushed nickel. Faucets all in brushed nickel. Stillness tub filler looks better than purist and brushed nickel looks a bit darker than satin nickel of the sconce.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Fine as you HAVE it above. Good grief.

The myth that you must love EVERY individual element equally to the love the whole? It is just that, a MYTH. In fact it is guaranteed to screw you up.

• snowcountry
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@JAN MOYERGlad that you approve! I get to keep the vanity, the tub, replace the original chandelier with the one like @calidesign posted. This will be a winning bathroom :)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

We are serious about that light. ........ The dingle dangle. ....

And no offense....... the one up there is too heavy. Looks a bit ordinary breakfast area too. Sorry.

• snowcountry
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What's wrong with the dingle dangle? I like that light. I could use it over the dining table and/or kitchen island. I think it will be fun.

• snowcountry
    Original Author
    4 years ago

As much as I like the vanity, I think I'd be better off something g less rustic. Like this?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

There are better than that. UGH

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 years ago

So you're adding midcentury modern to the mix?

snowcountry thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • snowcountry
    Original Author
    4 years ago

While I am at it, pile them up :) Guess not.

@JAN MOYERYes, it is a bit heavy. And Kohler's brushed nickel seems a bit different. I may have to go with another brand to match satin nickel better. maybe I should give up on a chandelier and put a plain ceiling light.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Before you decide on the lighting, you need to know what direction to take this bathroom. Your concrete floors and fixture choices are very industrial, and your tub is modern. The first vanity you chose is rustic and the new one you're looking at is MCM. Take a step back and look at example photos to see how you want your bath to look. Once you've come up with a style you want to stick with, it will be much easier to find lighting that also coordinates.

• snowcountry
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Concrete floors are how they build around here. It wasn't exactly my choice although I don't mind. I will be putting a rug in the bathroom. Modern is where it is going except I didn't like vanity "modern" came with, too straight, too square.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

If you keep everything modern, with the more rustic vanity as a juxtaposition, it can look fine. Look for a modern version of your sconce for the ceiling light, in the same finish.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

A concrete foundation slab isn’t a finished floor choice. It takes a lot more to get it to finished floor status. Concrete slabs by themselves are porous, and will stain and etch. There are multiple options for creating a finished concrete floor. Grinding plus epoxy. A densified microtopping. A densified fiber reinforced pour. A grind, stain, and epoxy. Etc. But they will all generally be more expensive than doing a porcelain tile on top of the slab.

I suggest working with a knowledgeable local interior designer. The best value that they can provide is in narrowing your focus after creating a design mission statement and overall design program. The most expensive mistakes are those made from a lack of ability to edit out unsuitable choices on the front end. Combining everything you like only creates a cohesive design if you have that clear vision and ability to self edit.

snowcountry thanked User
  • snowcountry
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@calidesign Thanks! I could give up the sconce. Put a wall mirror filling the entire space above the vanity and use overhead lighting That will obscure the vanity and may allow me to proceed "modern".

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

The design thing is harder than you thought, heh?? Yeah. It is. Get yourself a local ally via a designer. You don't have a hole or shovel in the ground yet. If you vacillate this much through all the other coming selections required of you? You can look forward to living here at age 100, totally exhausted. : ) Get some help. Local.

PS Nothing will "obscure" any vanity.

• AJCN
    4 years ago

Snowcountry,

I was recently working on a project, and was stumped on some things, but I wasn't sure if I wanted an interior designer to "take the wheel" or if I just needed some advice, or something in between. I went onto www.asid.org and clicked on "find a pro." I called a few of the designers in my area, and a few of them said they would only meet with a homeowner if the project is over a certain amount (50K, 100K...), and if they can be the GC for the whole project. But some others were willing to meet for a flat fee. I think our meeting was 90 minutes and the fee was $250. This was very helpful to me because I needed some direction, but I wasn't sure at that time if I wanted anything more than that. Maybe finding someone who can consult with you now will help you to firm-up what your overall direction is. Then you can decide if you need/want a designer to get more involved by pulling samples, choosing materials, coming with you to shop, taking over certain parts of the project, etc, etc. I ended up being able to complete my project with better results just from that one consultation.

On another project several years ago, I did the same thing. That time though, I ended up asking the designer to help me 2 or 3 times during the course of the project, on an hourly basis. She was very helpful at certain crunch-points in the project when I needed some help. Some designers don't do hourly consultations at all bc you can't maintain a business on just that. The business model doesn't work. But some designers will stick these little hourly consultations in-between other things in their schedule to meet new clients and expand their business.

You can also try some online solutions such as Modsy, but I haven't done that so I don't have any specific feedback.

It seems like you need more help than just an hourly consultation though. I'm just suggestiong that as a starting point, so that you can meet a local designer, or two, and then you can choose someone to give you more help since it seems like you are struggling to find an overall feel, vision, or direction for the room (and maybe other parts of your house?).

https://www.asid.org/

snowcountry thanked AJCN
  • snowcountry
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@AJCNI will check the website out. Hourly consult sounds good to me. Getting feedback may be useful. Thanks so much.

I wouldn't say I don't have a direction. I tend to like many different things that don't fit into any one style. Don't we all?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

I "tend to like many different things that don't fit into any one style. Don't we all?I "

CORRECTION: you like a lot that doesn't fit into any one ROOM with a clear message to yourself or the beholder.

You don't have a direction, hon. You don't. You have the same issue EVERYONE has. We all like a lot of stuff.. Designers included. The internet especially, has made design the ultimate "all you can eat" buffet. Except you can't eat it all. The aftermath is ugly when you try.

Juxtapositions, a bit of an eclectic feel even, take some design SKILL. This is why there are coordinating suites of everything from lighting fixtures, to bedroom sets, to matching cocktail , console and end tables! Manufacturers know it's challenging to design, so they do it FOR you and eliminate the decision. Nobody is suggesting that here.

But the greater the veer away from that boring matchy concept? The more you need some help. Your vision is NOT clear enough. It just isn't.

You are also under the spell of the misguided belief, that if you simply love each and every element, you will love the space. Nope..................you won't.

• snowcountry
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Jan, thanks for your feedback but please, don't call me honey. At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter if a piece is out of place. No need to get overly excited. It's only a room that you will stop noticing after a few months. This is the fifth bathroom I am doing. I liked my previous four. I am quite sure this one will turn out ok after some tweaks. I do not like those stylized space like you see in the magazine. I'd rather have a mumbo jumbo "she knows nothing about interior design and has no vision" space. At least you have pieces you like rather than stepping into a house fashion runway.

In that spirit, I think the vanity can be fixed if I close up the open shelf and plug the hole. It will have uniform front but still rough surface. Grey matte counter top, chrome fixtures, ceiling lights instead of a chandelier.

• beesneeds
    4 years ago

As long as things are mashing up so well already with all the elements in this thread...

Why not skip the electrical for a chandelier entirely.... and mount an outdoor solar chandelier from a hook in the ceiling and run the charging panel to your window?

snowcountry thanked beesneeds
  • User
    4 years ago

Given the saga of the interesting architectural plans vs what you ended up with without the architect involved, you really need the Designer. Your compromises just to move things forward, haven’t served you well.

The past predicts the future. A hodgepodge instead of a clear central design is not what you need here. You can love a lot of things. You can’t put them all into one room, or even one house. You can love it from afar.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

I would consider using a white quartz countertop for the vanity rather than gray. It will coordinate with the tub and look better on the wood vanity. Especially if your concrete floors will also be gray, the white will look fresher.

• snowcountry
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@calidesignConcrete floor will be stained brownish terra cotta -ish. Won't white quartz look to stark next to rough wood?

• calidesign
    4 years ago

No, a white countertop would look clean and modern like the tub and toilet. And especially with warm brown floors, gray would be the worst possible choice.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Mill Spring Modern Farmhouse · More Info

Catana Master Bathroom · More Info

Seattle · More Info

• snowcountry
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@calidesignThanks so much. They look nice. How white would you go with the countertop? Looking through Caesarstone, they have a few whites, intense white, pure white, blizzard has some yellow/brownish tint, and organic white that's darker than blizzard.

• User
    4 years ago

BROWN concrete!?!?! BROWN? Somehow or another that critical piece of info was omitted.

Disregard 90% of the advice above. Plain gray concrete is the assumption when discussing “concrete floors”. Brown is a whole other style direction. And cool modern isn’t the first thing on that list.

Put all this on pause while you reconsider dirt brown floors.

• rouxb
    4 years ago

Not everyone is a fan of grey nor does it work with every decorating scheme. There is a whole world of pleasing concrete colors

snowcountry thanked rouxb
  • Shay Gaffey
    4 years ago

If you are going to have a licensed electrician do it, I don't believe that they will install it directly over the tub. We built a home a few years ago and I bought a chandelier to go above the tub, and our electrician would only install it if it was offset from the tub in the room, so that none of the light fixture was over the tub. When you go to sell, it could also be an issue that you would get nicked by the inspector to change.

snowcountry thanked Shay Gaffey
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

You can lead.......whether not this ? Is a total crap shoot

• calidesign
    4 years ago

You'll want a white countertop that is either slightly warm or the same white color as your tub, rather than a grayish or too bright white.