SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19039753

Rumtopf at Christmastime

User
4 years ago

I made rumtopf every year. After the peaches are added I put it in the larder and there it rests until December when we start using it. On poundcake, on ice cream. The "juice" is even good served in little liqueur glasses.

I had company Friday. We ate out but came back to the house for cake and coffee -- the cake -- a homemade pound cake with the first scoop of rumtopf!

Comments (3)

• lisaam
    4 years ago

That's something I've always wanted to make but never have. What a yummy product of the seasons. Enjoy!

• annie1992
    4 years ago

Yes, my Aunt LulaBelle always made a Rumtopf. She'd start with strawberries, add fruits as they became in season. She never used blueberries or blackberries because she disliked the color they gave. And, although we live in Michigan and never grow pineapples, she always put some in there because she liked it. Sweet cherries were always in there too, and so were raspberries and gooseberries. It had to sit untill Christmas and then the "ladies" mixed the liquid with 7-up for a "cooler", and the fruit got eaten with ice cream or pound cake. I waited impatiently to be 18 so I could have some, and then found that I do not like rum, LOL.

My Aunt Ellen made her own version with just vodka and cherries, she called it "Cherry Bounce" and it was used the same way, and always served at the annual family Christmas party.

Annie

• Islay Corbel
    4 years ago

You can put some syrup in champagne to make a nice festive drink.