What did you do today, and is it warm or cold out?

OklaMoni

I went hiking. Real hiking with narrow trails, big rocks and all.

At home it was below freezing, but 1 1/2 hour drive south, it was 41 when I arrived. I was unsure how warm to dress, but ended up sweating on the hike up. Could have worn jeans instead of fleece lined pants... but it was GREAT. More about it here:

http://meanderdotlife.wordpress.com/

SaveComment28Like2
Comments (28)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DawnInCal

I cleaned the house early in the day, and later in the afternoon, walked over to a local business to pick up a package from my sister. The last two days we've had a lot of rain, but this afternoon it let up so I walked over to get the package. It wasn't all that warm (low 50's), but after all the snow we had the last two weeks, it felt spring like.

It was really nice to get outside and it was warm enough to leave the back door open for a couple of hours to air out the house. The rain started again just as I got back home from my walk. Perfect timing!

Save    
OutsidePlaying

I finally got some yard work done I had been unable to do due to rain. Then I wrapped a few Christmas gifts, washed sheets, watched some football and read.

Save    
ladypat1

I went to a horse Christmas parade in Lawrence Kansas. In the 40’s and sunny and then walked down the street to a Christmas Bell Choir performance. Came home tonite and watched the world famous Kansas Jayhawks basketball game!

Save    
Kathsgrdn

Worked all day, came out this evening from work and it was bitterly cold. It's 34 right now, feels like 28 according to my phone.

Save    
nhbaskets

Got up to 40 today. Now in the 20’s. Finished decorating our main tree. Had my first dip nail polish. A little more decorating, online Christmas shopping and watching TV. Now sitting in the ER with DH who’s having chest pains.

Save    
roxanna7

It was quite chilly today, only in the 20s, but sunny and beautiful with the 15 inches of snow we got a few days ago. Spent the day making rolled and cutout cookies for the three grands to decorate tomorrow, the 9- and 10-year old are having a sleepover here tonight, the 13-year old will arrive in the morning. Fun, but exhausting (oh, my aching back, all the standing and bending!).

21 degrees at 10.30 PM with a lovely 3/4 moon shining... All is well.

Save    
functionthenlook

Picked up my two granddaughters late morning. Colored and painted with them. We made cut out cookies to hang on their tree. Went out to dinner then the playground in the mall. I just tucked them in bed. It didn't get much above freezing today. Tomorrow is suppose to get to 50. I am planning on decorating my mailbox that is down on the main road for Christmas and maybe take the girls to the big playground.

Save    
roxanna7

Oh, no, nhbaskets -- just read your post. So sorry about your DH -- best wishes for a happy, healthy outcome.

1 Like Save    
nhbaskets

He has a cardiac history, but has been doing well the past 2 years. Hoping this is just a minor speed bump.

2 Likes Save    
glenda_al

Going to be in the 70's tomorrow, then lots of rain Monday evening thru Tuesday.

Went to our Fish Market, and so enjoyed trout almondine with greek feta slaw. I was starved and it was delicious.

Came home and napped.

Save    
wildchild2x2

I went horseback riding in the rain. Didn't really notice how wet I was getting on the trail, but when I dismounted I was soaked to the skin. Drove home through torrential downpour with the heat turned up and stripped down to my under layer on top. Mud, wet horses, wet riders what's not to love? Drive home wasn't much fun. Passed a car flipped onto it's roof and another more minor accident. The normally 45 minute drive home took almost twice as long.

1 Like Save    
liira55

I was out of the house early to get to a cookie walk. After the cookie walk I went to a craft show and bought 4 mason jars painted like the grinch and filled with Lindt chocolates. Only $3.50 each. Then headed to my favourite thrift store where they had a special of fill a bag up, ranging from $8 to $20. I filled a $20 bag with shoes , tops, pants, Christmas ornaments, pictures, picture frames, candles, crafts. Then off to Bath and Body works where it was candle day, 3 wick candles for $10.95. I bought 2 then she gave me a coupon for $10 off a purchase of $30, so I bought 3 more and got 2 more coupons, so I gave them to the lady next to me who was buying 15 candles. Came home, did laundry and wrote up my Christmas cards.

1 Like Save    
liira55

Save    
Lars

I picked a few apples from the tree in our back yard, checked to see if my dendrobium orchid flowers had opened (they haven't yet, but should open next week or so), and I also adjusted the top of my center fountain, which gets knocked over by raccoons, I think. A lot of my bromeliads are starting to bloom, and so I rearranged some of them in my pergola. The yard is very wet from the recent rains, and so we cannot mow the lawn, and we might get more rain next week. The good thing is that we can leave the sprinklers off.

High temperature was only about 65°, and so I wore long pants when we went shopping. Low temperatures in the morning are in the low 50s, and so I don't have to worry about any of the plants.

Since we have so many apples, I made steel-cut oats with date crystals and apples, which I seasoned with cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg. I also finished my seasons' greetings cards and got them mailed this morning.

Save    
blfenton

Went for a trail

run this morning in the drizzling rain and it was a pretty decent temperature. Then I came home and started decorating the house for Christmas. This wasn't today but it is the trail that we ran today, that's me slowing down to test the boardwalk as to how slippery it was that day, which was also drizzling. Rain forest weather.

3 Likes Save    
lily316

It's 26 now but when we hit the Appalachian trail this afternoon it was 37. The dogs who are 12 and 14 hike the whole four miles and love every second. The 12-year old I let off-leash and he's in pig heaven. The dachshund isn't to be trusted off-leash but ziggy sticks to us but gets to smell and pee on everything. If I see another dog coming, I clip on his leash. I LOVE winter walking. Hate it when it's 95 and humid.

Save    
Marilyn_Sue

It is 50 out right now. I baked a sugar cream pie and 18 potato rolls. I also worked on Christmas cards. I sent most of the rolls and pie to my youngest daughter's home. I shall go to bed very soon after I take care of Izzi.

Sue

Save    
littlebug zone 5 Missouri

I did a load of laundry and cleaned the master bathroom first thing. Went for my usual 2.5 miles walk, then cleaned up and went to church (I sing in the choir). After church I went to the grocery store to pick up some things I need to host a few friends at my house tomorrow. Then I wrapped a few Christmas gifts and now I’m resting/watching the KC Chiefs vs. Patriots on tv.

oops almost forgot: it was about 40 degrees when I went for my walk this morning and about 50 now. Cloudy and dreary, though.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

It's been a nice day 73 currently. We have been working on stuff in the house today. Making chili for dinner.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Cool and cloudy today. My sister is an accomplished potter and she participates in a local artists' studio tour twice a year - late summer and just before Christmas. It's a juried tour with some very talented artists....not just a craft fair. I always pick at least one day to go and hang out with her and bring lunch. Today we chatted with several of the other artists that were there, one of which is an enormously talented artist in watercolor and colored pencils. Her drawings look so realistic they could be photographs and I am lucky enough to have received one her framed prints as a gift. Learned a new word - giclee. Comes from the French word for 'squirt' and involves a very fine and high-end print making technique using an inkjet printer. Who knew??

Picked up a couple of Christmas/birthday gifts and enjoyed the visiting musicians and chatting with visitors. This is the last day of the 3 day tour and it's a long process to get set up and then take everything apart again as it is a working pottery studio the rest of the time. But she sold a big piece right before I left so she is a happy camper......or maybe a happy potter :-)

Save    
marilyn_c

nhbaskets, I hope your husband is okay. That is very scary.

Blfenton, that looks identical to the area around here.

It was very nice today. Mild...60's, I believe. A little windy.

We had fried shrimp for supper last night. Jody bought them when he went down there the other day. They were 9/12s. I do like jumbo shrimp, but fresh off our boat is so much better. These came out of the gulf and were frozen on the boat. He bought them because someone here wanted some. There were a few left over, so he wanted me to fry them for a friend. I also boiled a few and made shrimp coleslaw with them, and he took them to his friend.

I cleaned house and researched species roses on the internet.

Jody is going to Florida next week to visit relatives. I am staying here to take care of the animals. In April, I plan to go to the Louisiana Iris convention, so hope he will be able to take care of things for me while I am gone 3 days. He is on oxygen most of the time and can't get around very well, but I think I've got it figured out where he will be able to do it.

Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

It was relatively "warm" (high 40's) yesterday and today. Took 2 mile walks both days. I finished cleaning up the flower gardens - I'd waited until the birds had picked the coneflowers and beebalm clean - and then repotted and root pruned nearly all of my potted fruit trees; still have 2 to do, but I ran out of soil. Managed to lose my pruners, too, wondering if I dropped them into a pot before replacing the tree.

Sold my indoor bike trainer which I had never ever set up. I had imagined using it while I watched a movie or even a bike race on TV, but I much prefer the elliptical for indoors, and walking or jogging outside weather permitting best of all. Plus my DD left her small lifecycle also when she moved out. I am hoping that I remembered what I paid for it correctly - I think I sold it for the same price. As long as I never find the receipt I will be content!

Last thing today was hanging most of the Christmas lights and set up an artificial tree and put lights on it, on the front porch. I didn't get that all finished - I think I need another strand of lights on it, and didn't get the few glittery ornaments on it. I'll do that tomorrow if it is not raining hard.

I'll put up the hanging stars on the porch and in the windows closer to the holiday.

Save    
happy2b…gw

Sounds like most of you had fun this weekend. The weather was very nice at the riverhouse this weekend - sunny, calm, and 50's. I have a bad cough, sinus discomfort, and swollen glands. I did nothing much the past two days except some serious gift shopping on the web while on the couch. DH worked hard at resetting some stairs and platform at the dock and other chores to get the house ready for winter.

NH baskets, hope your husband is home and well.

Save    
nicole___

nhbaskets....hope your DH is ok...?

42F, slight freezing breeze. Walked car lots wearing a BIG sherpa hoodie.

Grocery shopping. Found Lindor assorted BIG bags of chocolate for $1.50.. Renters lost a set of keys & wanted ALL the locks changed. Changed 3, got home and realized the lock smith had keyed them all alike, same as the last set. I'll have to pay another $42 and have them ALL keyed again...and change them ALL again! Geez! I did bring them a bag of Lindor chocolates & a Christmas card. Turns out Lindors are Mr. Renters favorite! They were well received. So at least THAT went well. ha ha

Save    
glenda_al

Have a big social Christmas gathering, Monday, with 45 attending. Temps will be in the 70's but weather changing later in the day.

Save    
jewels_ks

I went to gym this morning then did a little shopping at Tuesday Morning, Walmart Market and Sam’s. Went and saw 21 Bridges which was more violent than I anticipated.

Save    
wildchild2x2

Took DH to get a haircut, put gas in the truck, did laundry, ran the dishwasher etc.

Then tonight I went to Target because they are a once year ten percent off just today. There is a 300.00 limit and it has to be a Target only card not linked to Mastercard,Visa etc. They were out but there was a crowd standing around a open storage cabinet where they had a few left with limited designs. So I got two and grabbed a few other needed items since I was there. Used my Discovercard for an additional cashback since Target Red cards won't stack the usual 5% off .

Save    
nhbaskets

Thanks for asking about DH. He was discharged yesterday afternoon. Now needs to follow up with his cardiologist for a stress test. I’m convinced this was caused by stress over our fur baby.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Remodeling Guides Today's Concrete: Warm and Wonderful
7 Things to Like About Using Concrete in Your Home's Interior
Full Story
Porches 9 Cozy Sunrooms and Porches for Warming Up in Cold Weather
Warm blankets, roaring fires and winter weatherproofing make these indoor-outdoor spaces toasty as temperatures drop
Full Story
Landscape Design How Brick Fits Into Today’s Gardens
Natural brick is often considered a traditional building material. Here’s how people are using it in contemporary gardens too
Full Story