SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Salt for an Oxo salt grinder - sal de Colima?

Lars
4 years ago

I bought an Oxo salt grinder a couple of years ago, and it is now getting low on salt. I also have more than 2 pound of Sal Real de Colima that I bought at a local market (cheaper than Amazon), and I am wondering if I can use it in the grinder that I have. In reading the comments on Amazon for this salt, I see mixed opinions about this, and nothing really specific to the Oxo grinder. I do find this salt to be a bit moist, and I am wondering if I could just put it in my dehydrator for a while. The other issue is that I have found a number of tiny pebbles in this salt, which I have removed when I used this salt to make a brine. I typically use this salt for making pickles. I guess I would have to pick over the salt to remove the pebbles before putting the salt into the grinder, as I do not want to damage the grinder.

I use very little salt, but I like using the grinder to add small amounts of salt to something I am cooking, such as eggs, because I feel I have more control over it.

What kind of salt do you use in your grinder? I've never replaced salt in a grinder before, and the Himalayan salt that I bought in Brazil came in a grinder that was not refillable. Should I just buy some more Himalayan salt and keep the sal de Colima for brines?

Comments (7)