Special thoughts for grandson, Parke
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (37)
Related Discussions
Need help with preparing food for special needs grandson
Comments (12)You say the food processor doesn't get it right. What kind of food processor? I think I could make "bean dip" out of chicken in my cuisinart. I would buy a chicken, poach it slowly in some flavorful boulion made from cooking onion carrots celery and maybe parsley...simmer the chicken, cut up[ for ease in poaching, then pull from the bone and process in the Cuisinart ...add broth as needed....but keep the stuff in the processor as a thick paste....it will process finer that way. Then when it's done, mix with broth or cream ro whatever to thin to needed consistancy. This will work with all meats. Ground meats often have fat and bits of gristle....so best to do meat where you can cut out those things before pulverizing. Linda C...See MoreGrandson has severe acid reflux (sort of long)
Comments (24)Wanda - I am glad that you found the solution for your daughter. My grandson does not seem to have a milk allergy. That was the first thing the docs checked. Carla - They do keep him upright, in fact, a lot of time is spent holding him that way. If he's down (on his back only) or reclining, they keep his body straight. They have the Bjorn carrier, which braces him pretty well. I'll mention the notion of not burping him, which is amazing! He is not constipated, lol (I know that that is not really an lol, especially for you). His stools are pretty much what is expected when breastfeeding. I think that they are going with the growing out of it expectation. I would like them to press harder, but it is very difficult for me to make suggestions. They are sensitive; they are using all their energy to hold things together. Interesting that you mentioned their marriage. I've thought about that, but things seem to be okay. My DIL is a very calm and patient person, and my son is a very earnest and sincere guy about all this, so I think that they'll be all right. My now ex-husband and I took our elder son through ten years of catastrophic asthma. It was a tremendously difficult, awful ordeal. At around year seven of that battle, we divorced. I know that the illness played a big role; it eventually drove us apart. Even though my husband was a superior dad in terms of being there when the asthma struck and our son was hospitalized, too many times to count, nevertheless he spent more and more time away from home. He needed adventure and excitement and we had a boy who needed all kinds of meds and a breathing machine if we were more than twenty minutes from a hospital, not to mention our home life, which was very quiet. Mainly because my son and I would use the non-crisis times to recover and get normal again. Then it would start all over again. My now DH's love of hominess and just generally being around all the time is one of the things that drew me to him. He was and is always "here". I have also thought that my younger DS, the baby's dad, was deeply influenced by his brother's long illness - in his child's mind he observed that no doctors, meds or many hospitalizations, even surgeries, could make the asthma go away. His brother had to grow out of it, which he didn't do until he was in college. So they may feel that as we were alone, so are they. I have noticed on the reflux boards that many parents are just holding on, even with a battery of doctors and various treatments. Some of their situations remind me of my mind-set with my son's asthma. IOW, hang on, try whatever, there is no cure, only coping, forget about the house, just "hold it together." Thanks for your attentiveness!...See MoreGrandson left today for basic training!
Comments (40)I went into the Navy in 1966 when things were dicey in Viet Nam. I was living in Chicago at the time and the local recruiter asked me where I wanted to go for boot camp in May! I said that Great Lakes would be fine. He questioned my judgement by asking if I knew what the weather would be in May, June and July! He asked me again whether I wanted to go to San Diego for boot camp...pause...yeah, I think that might be the place for me. I ended up being there for several months because I attended special school there, too. Wearing that white hat for all those months had the tops of my ears peeling a lot. The sun shines most days in San Diego. I had worked at a local grocery store before that and the manager told several of us that we would probably go into the service due to the situation overseas. His big advice was to go in with a positive attitude. I did. I had a wonderful four years, even though they sent me all over the place. Never once on a ship, though. I am sure that your grandson will enjoy the Navy and come home with some incredulous stories. It is up to you whether you believe them or not....See MoreA special bouquet not for its content but for the special vase!
Comments (15)Thanks y'all!! it does make bouquets so much more special when you can bring back memories of a loved simply by using a piece of them to make it more beautiful. Dianne welcome to the forum. You will go bonkers over roses once you start choosing from the zillion out there. Lots of great folks on here can help you with any issue. Enjoy!! Judy...See More- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

Special Report: Interior Design News From Cologne
Take a Photo Tour of the Latest Furniture Innovations Headed Our Way
Full Story
MY HOUZZThoughtful Refresh for a Historic Home in Illinois
A couple — a boutique owner and a contractor — unearth structural gems original to their 1880s Chicago-area Victorian
Full Story
SMALL HOMESHouzz TV: In Love With Echo Park Style
Whimsical artwork, vintage steals and online finds come together in this eclectic L.A. apartment
Full Story
MOST POPULARGarden Tour: A Mini Dino Park for a 3-Year-Old
A designer creates a sink-size fantasy space for his most important client yet
Full Story
THE POLITE HOUSEThe Polite House: How to Set Up an Extra-Special Guest Room
Items beyond the necessities will make holiday guests feel pampered. What extra touches would you include?
Full Story
FUN HOUZZDid Elves Make a Home in a San Francisco Park?
Speculation has swirled around a Lilliputian doorway in Golden Gate Park. We give you the true story — and a design dilemma
Full Story
HOMES AROUND THE WORLDMy Houzz: Traveling Couple Find the Perfect Parking Spot
A dilapidated tin shed becomes the dream home of two nature-loving retirees and their many treasures
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSMy Houzz: Casual, Thoughtful Design for a 1920s Bungalow
A couple turn a neglected, run-down home into a charming, comfortable place to raise their 4 children
Full Story
HOLIDAYS12 Ways to Make New Year’s Eve at Home Feel Special
Set a festive table, have a home spa day, go for a wintry walk and celebrate the joys of being home
Full Story
ARCHITECTURE4 Zurich Projects Build on High-Rise Livability
Generous landscaping, underground parking and terraces make these apartment complexes models of thoughtful housing
Full Story
sjerin