Special thoughts for grandson, Parke

glenda_al

He's been in Hawaii, for 3 years, now headed to Virginia, this weekend, for the next three years. He's been in combat training, the past month Naval Warfare Training. My mighty special fella! Thank you!

Kinda upsetting with happenings in Hawaii and Pensacola.

SaveComment37Like15
Comments (37)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stacey_mb

All the best to Parke during his 3 years of training and for the rest of his career.

Save     Thanked by glenda_al
OutsidePlaying

All the best to Parke in his transition and for this next phase of his military career. I’m sure it was hard to leave Hawaii behind, but he will find new adventures in Norfolk. The daughter of friends was recently commissioned, completed her officer’s training, and is now a Navy nurse in Norfolk. They just returned from helping to get her settled in her new apartment.

DawnInCal

Best wishes to Parke, and to you too, Glenda.

patriciae_gw

Good for him and best luck in his career.

Uptown Gal

Best of luck and a safety prayer for him. I know the Grandmother worry in

your heart for him...especially with all this awful stuff going on everywhere

by these awful people. I have a nephew who is career and I have an

on-going prayer for his Safety...will add Parke to that. Hugs.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by glenda_al
Annie Deighnaugh

Best wishes headed his way! And thanks for his service!

hounds_x_two

Sending many good wishes.

georgysmom2

Safe travels, Parke.

Save    
maire_cate

"Fair winds and following seas" Parke

1 Like Save     Thanked by glenda_al
phyllis__mn

Caring thoughts and good wishes out to Parke.

Lukki Irish

Sending good thoughts and well wishes, I can’t believe it’s been 3 years already, seems like just yesterday that you were seeing him off.

wanda_va

Glenda, I think I can speak for many KTers in saying that we love PJR and hold him in our hearts and prayers, all the time. We have watched a young child grow into an amazing young man and we all appreciate his service. Of course, he's in for a shock, weather-wise, going from Hawaii to Virginia!

4 Likes Save    
nickel_kg

Winter in southeast Virginia -- well, it could be worse. Remind him springtime is coming and it will be beautiful then! Good luck to him as he progresses in his career :-)

nicole___

Wishing Parke the BEST! And looking forward to photos from a place I've never been......

glenda_al

Thanks, but I was being a bit selfish with the sadness surrounding the incidents in Hawaii, and Pensacola. My heart goes out to the families.

Parke will be up for deployment during his time in Virginia.

3 Likes Save    
Lucille

Hoping all goes well with Parke and that he arrives safely in Virginia.

joanmn

Wishing the best for him. And so sad about the shootings.

chisue

Glad to hear he will be posted *nearer* to you. Hawaii is nice, but...It's been a long three years for you. Does he have leave coming?

(Looks like your 'boy' is the image of his dad!)

kathyg_in_mi

Keep us posted. He is part of our KT family!

Rusty

There is a very special place in my heart and prayers for members of the military. Thank you for your service, Parke, may God bless and keep you always.

And may God also bless and keep Grandma close, with peace in her heart.

Rusty

Elmer J Fudd

I thought the normal enlistment period for non-officers was 3-4 years. Did he re-up for added years?

I presume "deployment" means shipboard service or a foreign base posting - wishing him good luck and safety wherever he goes.

1 Like Save    
lindaohnowga

Wishing the very best for Parke.

Save    
HU-629454853

One Navy Grandma to another, I pray for Parke and you too, Glenda. DGD is out now attending college, but I remember how you think about them every night before you go to sleep.

Save    
glenda_al

HU, yes, always on my mind. DGS plans on college when he gets out in three years. Being in Hawaii for 3 years, and enjoying water surroundings, he's leaning towards marine biology. Blessings and best of thoughts for your DGD.

1 Like Save    
katlan

All good wishes and prayers for your beloved grandson. He kinda feels like all of our grandson. What fun it has been watching him grow up. You are blessed Glenda. So is your grandson!

2 Likes Save    
eld6161

Hugs to you and Parke.

1 Like Save    
lsnel

Wishing Parke a terrific time. I know you have to be thrilled having him nearer to you.

Three years went by so fast as will the next three. It is a very sad time for all of us with the tragedies that happened. It touches us so deeply when our loved ones are in the military. My GS recently finished up his 6 year Navy Aircrew enlistment and now that we look back we wonder how the time past so fast! Having him home is wonderful, but also having him serving our country was just as wonderful.

tami_ohio

I will definitely keep Parke in my prayers.

1 Like Save    
glenda_al

He is with his mother, until Sunday, and reports to base in Virginia on Tuesday. Safe travels for him. He picked up his car, that was sent from Hawaii, in Atlanta, so he can make the trip.

Thanks for all your loving thoughts!

2 Likes Save    
socks

Oh my, that is a big deal. He will be a long way from beautiful Hawaii!

Marine biology--that would be fabulous, but he has a way to go before getting there. I hope all goes well for him in his new assignment. Thanks for letting us know.

drewsmaga

His going to VA means he's driving distance for you instead of flying to Hawaii. WOOHOO!

1 Like Save    
Kathsgrdn

Good luck to him, Glenda. Can't believe he is all grown up, time sure does fly doesn't it?

Elmer, enlistment times depend on your job and duty station. My son is in the Air Force and because of his job and the length of time and expense of his training he had to enlist for 6 years not 4. When I was in the Air Force I enlisted for 4 years but it got extended to 7 because I agreed to go overseas to Germany on an extended-long assignment.

nicole___

Interesting about enlistment times Kathsgrdn. I didn't know there was a 6 year stint.

Marine Biology. That shows his love of scuba diving. ALL scuba enthusiasts want to know more and be more involved . I can't tell you the number of Marine Biologists I've met serving me food on live aboard dive boats. There are so few jobs for them out there. It's hard to carve out a living.

I love scuba diving. It's just VERY hard to turn this hobby into a paying job. If you ever get the chance to have "this" talk with Parke....please steer him in another direction.

ont_gal

Sending long distance thoughts and hugs to you Glenda-extra special thoughts for Parke.

glenda_al

Grandson signed up for the 6 years. Had 3 in Hawaii and now on his way to Virginia, for the remaining 3 years.

Save    
sjerin

I have to agree with Nicole, though I know you would hate to discourage him in any way. My friend's son did his master's in MB in Hawaii and enjoyed it. He is teaching at a college now, but not full-time and not for much of a salary. Parke will do well in VA. :)

2 Likes Save     Thanked by glenda_al
foggyj2

Good wishes for your grandson. Hope all goes well for him.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Special Report: Interior Design News From Cologne
Take a Photo Tour of the Latest Furniture Innovations Headed Our Way
Full Story
My Houzz Thoughtful Refresh for a Historic Home in Illinois
A couple — a boutique owner and a contractor — unearth structural gems original to their 1880s Chicago-area Victorian
Full Story
Small Homes Houzz TV: In Love With Echo Park Style
Whimsical artwork, vintage steals and online finds come together in this eclectic L.A. apartment
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Locally owned & operated Closet America has become one of the most reviewed & the most awarded closet companies!... Read More