SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cdgalo

Updating a 23 yr old kitchen

cdgalo
4 years ago

I love the layout of my kitchen and my honey maple cabinets are in great shape. I am not painting them!!! The kitchen is very dark since it faces north and I have a wall of 30 foot arborvitae. My tile is mottled in shades of gray, tan, and a slight pink. I plan to keep the floor. We have Ghibli granite which looked fine when we had no trees, but now it's just dark. Also has etching around sink and on counters. When we built the house the tiler cut corners and did not tile under the cabinets so to get out slide in stove to fit we had to drill holes in our new tile. Also, the cut out for our Franke sink and veggie sink was not done properly. Sooooo, I have no problem getting rid of the granite. We are going to use the tile (still in original boxes) and tile to the wall. Lots of demolition and of course lower cabinets have to be carefully moved.

We have always had a full granite back splash and I like this look, but if I want to lighten up the room I have to find a very light granite or use subway tile. I am not a big fan of this tile. We are going with stainless appliances, new lighting, new kitchen knobs and maybe a few more high hats.

Any ideas about a granite that will lighten up my room would be appreciated.

Comments (36)