SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_322788044

Help! Large gaping on newly installed solid bamboo floors

HU-322788044
4 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Im in a dilemma with flooring.

We had our old laminate flooring removed and replaced with solid strand woven click lock bamboo. We used what we though was a reputable company, they had insurance, good reviews on yelp, etc etc.

Installation was completed 11/16(Saturday). The next week, we saw gaps in certain areas- hallway. I contacted the company I was working with and they gave me the whole "wood expands/ contracts/ maybe heat issues" talk. I explained that I understood and that there was always air circulation in our apartment and that I didn't believe it was due to temperature SO fast after the installation. Mind you, the wood had acclimated after delivery in our home for at least a week.

They came back exactly a week after, on 11/23 to repair the hallway gap.

^Hallway 11/22/19 After Installation completed on 11/16 and gaps showed^

Just days after the repair, the same gaps appeared in the. EXACT same place! It also got bigger.

I believe the company did not properly interlock the wood pieces.

Any advice? The company is not nudging from saying its a 'heat/ expansion" issue, but its highlight suspicious to me that the gaps happened so fast and in the same area.

^ Hallway on 11/30 after the repair^ gaps are very big- measured over 1cm.

They also never repaired the gap in one of the bedrooms, which has now gotten worse. I am being polite and trying to get them to come back and acknowledge that this was an installation issue.

Thoughts? Is this shoddy installation? Or am I crazy?

What steps can I take? I already contacted our insurance but this wont be covered because its would be a "workmanship" issue. I may need to have another company/ some else else look out it but thats $$$ on top of everything spent.

Thank you!

Comments (48)

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

I would have a T-moulding transition strip installed there at the end of the hallway. Apparently the floor beyond the hallway has a bit more bounce (flex) that the floor in the hallway & this is what is causing the flooring to separate.

HU-322788044 thanked ci_lantro
  • cat_ky
    4 years ago

Did they make sure the floor was level? Almost like there is an unlevel spot in the sub flooring right there.

HU-322788044 thanked cat_ky
  • Related Discussions

Newly finished basement!

Q

Comments (12)
    Thanks for the nice comments. To answer some of the questions: ekoreilly: the ceiling height is almost 8' (maybe 2" shy). We had a lot more height in some areas, but large heat runs would have had to be boxed, and they would have gone down the center of each room. So we sacrificed the extra 8 inches to have a level ceiling. It feels nice and high down there, especially for a basement. Yes, the stairs originally took that turn. We had to have them redone, though, because the landing was too narrow (once the drywall was up). The rise of each step was left the same, but the tread was cut down 1 inch/stair to allow for a reaonably-sized landing. We technically may be breaking code on the staiar tread. It may be something like 7/8 inch too narrow. But the inspector didn't notice, and it feels quite safe walking up and down. The estimate (which included the whole bathroom minus some of the fixtures) was approximately $40 K--maybe a few thousand more in the end with changes/upgrades. This included digging a sanitary pit for the bathroom. It's a little more than we originally hoped to spend, but we really wanted to get the bathroom done at the same time. We did paint and carpet ourselves. legardhome: that's reallly amusing (re: your 5 year-old and the carpet tiles. I think my 5 year-old knows they are tiles, but he hasn't tried to pick any up. My 3 year-old would be the one who wants to chalk on the floor. Shhh. Don't give him any ideas. baoknguyen: thanks. We like the colors too. The paint color is Benjamin Moore's Monroe Bisque. It's 100% downstairs and 50% in the stairwell. We used a flat finish, which I already regret. I very much wish we'd went with either scrubbable matte or eggshell. The walls are looking bad already, and we've only been using the space for 3 weeks. The carpet panels are Miliken Tesserae Spectrum, and the color is called Snowflake.
    ...See More

Bamboo flooring from LL bad odor

Q

Comments (40)
    Even though the original post in this thread is years old... it seems to have had some recent responses... It ties in with a more RECENT Houzz discussion regarding certain products... [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/chinese-wood-products-worth-the-risk-dsvw-vd~2892328[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/chinese-wood-products-worth-the-risk-dsvw-vd~2892328) And for the record, the "issues" don't simply apply to "laminates"... they include products in the "engineered" flooring category as well. Anything using a formaldehyde based adhesive in the production process is a candidate. (IMHO).
    ...See More

help me decide between solid/engineered hardwood floors

Q

Comments (20)
    You can get an engineered floor that is as good if not better than a solid product. We produce solid unfinished flooring but we also produce unfinished engineered flooring as well. Solid flooring typically has a 1/4" (6mm) of "sandable" or "usable" surface. Basically after you get 1/4" deep you'll hit the nail heads and so you can't sand below that point. Our engineered unfinished product has a 5mm wear layer. However, the engineered product is already pre-sanded to 80g which means once installed the amount of sanding that takes place is minimal. On a solid floor, most contractors will need to do a rough sanding to get the floor even, then one or two more cuts to get it smooth. Even if you have a very talented sander he is going to take 1/32 off in his sanding on the solid floor. That equates to roughly 3/100 which is nearly the difference between the 6mm and 5mm usable surfaces we began with. So in essence, you are getting very close to the same "usable" surface. Not to mention the engineered is more stable, will keep you from having to install a subfloor as it can be glued directly to concrete, eliminates transition issues between hardwood and tile or carpet AND should take less time to install. My two cents. Sam @ Real Wood Floors realwoodfloors.com
    ...See More

Tripping on uneven floor tiles just installed - HELP!!!

Q

Comments (41)
    I had tile laid 3rd party through a flooring company. Big mistake. the contractor hired inexperienced workers who goofed up about 9 tiles (uneven/not adhering well and they have loosened) The contractor came back twice to fix it (complaining the second time) It's still not fixed...so I'm going to do it myself...I'm very handy and recently retired so i can take my time to fix them RIGHT. In the past 3 years EVERY installation job we hired out on our home has been screwed up. That's why i am going to do almost everything myself now. I have replaced a garage wall, repainted the outside of the house with replacing several pieces of wood siding, put in 2 windows (in dormers), refinished wood floors in 3 rooms, etc. I am currently repainting most of the inside of the house and refinishing a gorgeous oak staircase that was covered by carpeting. I only hired out for the tile flooring because i didn't have time then (working full time) and had never put in tile before.
    ...See More
  • HU-322788044
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@ci_lantro Thank you SO much! This could be a reason.

Beyond the hallway on one side is the living and dining area. On the other side are 4 doors- 3 to bedrooms and one to a bathroom. Do you think the transition form the big space (living room) to hallway is a cause?

@cat_ky Thank you! The work didn't include and leveling. As far as I know, the floor is level- we didn't have this issue with our old laminate floors

• HU-322788044
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm not going crazy right? The contractor should be fixing this since their solution was to redo the hallway which they did, but the gap reappeared and widened. Is there any terminology I should use to explain whats going on?

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Every floor requires leveling. You say that no prep or leveling was done. None? Every room to room requires a transition molding. There no transitions? Every install requires documented actual moisture testing of the subfloor and the material. Do you have pictures and a copy of the testing log? Every floating floor requires a vapor barrier and padding. What material was used for that? What was used to tape it? Many need glue in the locking mechanisms to actually work too. Every perimeter requires an expansion gap that is concealed by new shoe molding. Do you have pictures of that gap before the shoe molding went on? Every floor requires that a home humidification system be in effect that keeps your humidity from 30-50% summer and winter. What is your current documented hygrometer reading?

These are all things that a professional flooring installer would discuss, do, and inform you about. It’s up to you to install the humidifiers in order to comply with the manufacturers warranty requirements. All the rest is a professional flooring installers responsibility. But it all has a cost. It’s not part of a “standard” basic install only cost. But it is required.

And, it’s bamboo. It’s notoriously unstable. I’ve seen thousands in claims. It moves MORE than wood, because it’s mostly glue. And a bit of grass. It’s not wood.

HU-322788044 thanked User
  • HU-322788044
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Beth H. : I have expressed my anger with them multiple times. They seem to think they did me a favor by redoing this hallway once. We did not pay in full and used a credit card. The deposit in non refundable but also was paid with credit card.

Underneath is concrete. The floor doesn't dip, nor buckles- its just separation there. They did not mention any leveling issues during installation.

I will be more demanding. Should I tell them I am disputing this? How can I light a fire under their butts?

• HU-322788044
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@User- No, leveling was not included in the contract :( The only "prep" was removing old laminate, underpayment and old composite tile, in that order. They did not test the subfloor(concrete) nor did they ever mention this was needed. Im learning about this for the first time here! i cant believe they are rated 4/5 stars.

Underneath the bamboo they used while barrier- i dont think they used tape or anything to keep it down. They left i would say half an inch or so of space on the sides under the molding.

We live in apartment in the city, not a house so no thermometer, only heaters that are already here. We will be getting a humidifier. This is great knowledge for me to hit them with, thank you!!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

call your credit card and put a hold on payment first.

then call the company and tell them what was done. you paid them for a proper install. Until you get one, they're not getting paid

if you have to call out a diff flooring guy to find out if the flooring was leveled or not, then you could try that. But I think once they find out they're not getting paid until it's resolved, that should be enough fire

HU-322788044 thanked Beth H. :
  • HU-322788044
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Beth H. : I will do that- only concern is- we used the credit card for other purchases- can i have them put a hold on payments going only to the contractor? EDIT- Just put a hold on the remaining payment!(half of the cost)

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

I am not as sure as you are that the install is to blame...i am also not as sure it is the installers job to discover what the cause is...what confirms that doubt ...to me ...is that the same problem appeared in the same spot the second time...to me this indicates that the floor is the problem ...i would backtrack to who installed the floor before i would blame the flooring installers..if this is old construction...perhaps even a look under the house will reveal the answer/solution..

• btydrvn
    4 years ago

In your pic it also appears there is another crack in the flooring on the lower left of the pic?...this would support the under flooring may need repair...

HU-322788044 thanked btydrvn
  • HU-322788044
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@btydrvn The floor underneath is concrete and has no damage. The gap you see in the first photo was after the first installation. As the second picture shows, there is no gap there now, not in the picture nor in the floor currently.

We live in an apartment in the city, not a house.

• User
    4 years ago

What was the flooring cost? What brand? Where did you buy it?

Did the retailer supply the installer? Or were they paid separately? How did you find them?

What did you pay for installation? What did that include? Furniture moving? Shoe molding install? Trash disposal? Transport of materials? They didn’t discuss the extra charge for the prep?

HU-322788044 thanked User
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

HU,,yes you can specify exactly which payment.

but speak w/the owner of the install. If there is a prob w/the slab (such as uneven parts) then it should have been brought to your attention during the install. most floor companies go over the substate to check for low or high spots before they even start.

did you let the bamboo sit and acclimate in your home before install?

I used a very similar bamboo in our rental house. we installed it ourselves. we've had no issues other than one part where there was a dip in slab. it was a low point and the wood over it buckled a bit. we had to beef up that one spot in order for it to lay smooth.

start there and see if that's the issue.

did they use that foam underlayment?

• HU-322788044
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@User

The floor was hawa wood- https://floorsunlimited.com/bamboo-flooring-products/hawa-bamboo-solid-natural-strand-woven-clicked-hbf-sbc703

They ordered 62 boxes and we had 14 left over! I am fighting them as to why they ordered so much. They left 2 boxes at our home and took the rest with them without asking us (we paid for all the wood!). they kept saying extra wood is normal but I am still arguing as to why an obscenely large amount of wood was ordered. They used one of the two boxes they left with us to repair the hallway.

• They never gave me the flooring cost but I can estimate from this website it was about $4,500(for 62 boxes)
    • They ordered the wood.
    • We only worked with the company/ contractor that did the flooring. They did mention they reached out to the manufacturer (i don't believe it) who said expansion and gaps are normal- I dont buy it! I'm sure the company didn't send the manufacturer pictures.
    • Total quote for cost was a little over $12,000.
    • Price included moving large furniture- it was outlined and we reviewed as we were living in the apartment during the reno (nightmare!)
    • Included trash removal
    • included quarter round moldings
    • Included underlayment under the floor
    • They found composite tiles under the underpayment which neither we nor they knew about (it was coming up with the laminate removal so had to remove it all. We would have uneven floors) and that had to be removed so and extra $1000+ charge
  • HU-322788044
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Beth H. :

• Done- I put a hold on half of the payment and kept the first charges for the deposit plus tile removal charge) to stay
    • I will ask my super but as far as we no, no issues with floor level- was never discussed during installation and we were present the whole time work was being done
    • Yes the bamboo acclimated for 7 days before the install
    • It looked like maybe foam sandwiched between plastic? With no ridges
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

make sure you mention the gap in the bedroom too.

the bamboo acclimated, it's the middle of winter so unless you're in the tropics or deep Fla, I'm sure your humidity isn't out of control.

if they have to take it all up and start over, then so be it.

Did they do that quarter round install too?

lets see the bedroom gap

hopefully SJ Mccarthy sees this and weighs in. she's the flooring expert

• HU-322788044
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Beth H. :

• Yes, i mentioned the bedroom gap the first time and they ignored it and only fixed hallway.. now the bedroom gap is worse than when i noticed it first!
    • We are in NYC
    • Yes they did the quarter round install as well
    • Here is a bedroom gap pictures. i can post more later.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

hmmm,,exact same type of gap pattern. weird.

yeah, you need to get the head honcho out there and tell him all of it needs to be fixed.

• HU-322788044
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Beth H. :

Yeah. Im speakign with him tmr. I'm trying to get their technician to come in Friday to look at it- they are reporting they fixed it once and nothing more they can do, "per management" and blaming on the expanding/ contracting. I'm also having our building super(who is knowledgeable about this work) come in at the same time so he can vouch that it was bad installation. I had the super come in after I saw the first gaps in the hallway and he said they didnt interlock it properly and didnt leave room for expansion.

If he refuses to have the technician come Friday, I am throwing all these potential causes as well as payment dispute at him.

Fingers crossed. I have lost SO much sleep because of this floor, you have no idea.

Thank you for your time and suggestions!

• DavidR
    4 years ago

And, it’s bamboo... mostly glue... a bit of grass. It’s not wood.

Unfortunately true. Bamboo's not really a great material for floors, or actually for much of anything except maybe decorative knick-knacks. Even those highly advertised bamboo (rayon) sheets don't last very well, as I found out when I bought some without doing my usual research.

You probably know this, but they don't go out in the woods and cut down bamboo trees and mill them into lumber to make your flooring. It's a manufactured product.

It looks natural, but the type you have is basically densely woven grass impregnated with plastic. As for durability, it's probably as durable as the plastic that goes into it, which I guess can be pretty good if it's a good brand. So I don't see any reason that your floor should give you any more trouble than fake ("engineered") wood flooring, provided that you get them to install it right, which it looks like they haven't done. Those gaps really gape.

If I were in your place, assuming I had the resources to pay the difference, I'd tell the contractor, "This stinks. You still don't have it right. Take it out and give me real wood." But that's me.

As for losing sleep over this, ouch, sorry to hear that. It probably won't help much, but remember, this is just appearance, it's not structural. Your house isn't going to fall down around your ears because of this, thank goodness. Get some sleep if you can. You'll need to be rested to keep up with your installers. Unless they're really exceptional, they'll weave and dodge like a rabbit trying to outrun a dog. Good luck.

HU-322788044 thanked DavidR
  • PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    4 years ago

You will need to check the flatness on the subfloor. It does not seem like anyone verified to make sure it is within the manufacturer's installation tolerance. So, it was never discussed, recommended, performed or paid for.

The click-lock profile on bamboo can easily get damaged during installs. Another cause for gapping.

HU-322788044 thanked G & S Floor Service
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Stay AWAY from bamboo. : ) Really. This LVP Fusion Max, ( 7' x 7" planks ) runs through an entire apartment , over a concrete floor, and has not a single gap. It's in two bathrooms. It's senior living, and should the need arise? She can roll a mobility device all over. the scatter and area rugs can come up : )

In general · More Info

HU-322788044 thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 years ago

If all else fails, call the NYC Department of Consumer Affairs and find out if they are licensed. You can also file a complaint or threaten to do so.

HU-322788044 thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • User
    4 years ago

Hmmmm, avoiding answering the price and material questions.

Floating solid bamboo is an anomaly in the market. Because it has issues. That’s why the brand and it’s specs is important. Does the manufacturer allow a floating install? What does the manufacturer say about the floor flatness required? Engineered is what is usually approved to be installed floating. Solid is a glue down or nail down product.

You can’t expect $2 material and a $2 installer to give the same quality result as the $12 material with the $8 installer. The fact that there was no prep paid for says that this is closer to the first scenario.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

IMO it looks to me like an issue with the floor in that spot and there is no way to compare how your laminate laid and this flooring . I would never do bamboo but that is another topic. Because this is the exact same place the first install created these gaps I think it is underneath this spot. It just seems starnge to me it would be in the excat same place twice.

HU-322788044 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • beesneeds
    4 years ago

This might be a dumb question.... but if this is an apartment, why are you replacing/paying for a floor and not the landlord?

• User
    4 years ago

I'm assuming this is a condo or coop where OP owns the apartment. Many apartments in NYC are very dry in the winter because the heated air has no or little humidity. I always used a humidifier in the winter months. (Also cuts down on respiratory colds!)

• DavidR
    4 years ago

I don't speak for the OP, but not all apartments are rented. Some are owned, especially in nations other than the USA. I somehow got the impression that the OP is in Canada, but that might be incorrect.

• User
    4 years ago

No, OP is in NYC.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

following

• beesneeds
    4 years ago

Thanks folks for helping me understand apartment. Round by me, apartment is strictly rental with landlord being responsible for this sort of thing. Condo is when a person owns their in building suite and responsible.

• HU-322788044
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@DavidR Yes, sadly I think we had a bad salesperson from the company. We asked for light colored wood and he brought one sample, which was this floor. He kept insisting 'its solid wood!" Shouldn't have listened to him and demanded more samples. You are right, in the grand scheme of things, nothing is falling down around me. Thank you for your kind words!

@G & S Floor Service

When we had laminate it was perfectly flat. We had no reason to thing the subfloor (concrete) was uneven.

@Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Thank you!

@User

Hmmmm, avoiding answering the price and material questions.

• I responded to your question above, not sure what you are insinuating here? You also asked a bunch of questions the first time around with no context and are giving a flippant opinion...Dont bother wasting my time again when I already responded.
    • The company never gave us the cost of wood. They gave us a total estimate and broke it down into down payment + remaining payment once work was done. I gave the amounts above. When I realized they ordered 14 extra boxes of wood I demanded to knw the breakdown of price to see how much we paid for the wood. I asked before this, but they did not give me an answer. I had to use the picture on the box to find the wood online, which I linked above and did the math to find the cost of the wood.

Does the manufacturer allow a floating install?

@Patricia Colwell Consulting

• The laminate laid flat, no issues in this area. Yes, its strange to me as well :(
    • This is the kind of advice and knowledge I expect from a company we paid to use, not this constant blame on heat and expansion from them like I am getting.

@beesneeds and @Lisa@DavidR

• Not a dumb question and Lisa you are correct, this is a Co-Op.
    • We are getting a humidifier this weekend as soon as I figure out the best one to get!
    • In NYC
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

I'm betting on installer error.

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    4 years ago

Does it feel spongey in that area? If, yes, you have a flatness issue causing separation.

No, then the T & G was damaged during the installation causing separation.

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

Floating bamboo - that's an oxymoron! I'm sorry to say a floating floor must have transitions (the wooden humps that sit in doorways...that no one likes and everyone tries to avoid). Transitions are NORMALLY seen in EACH DOORWAY.

Check: does the floor flow THROUGH the doorway (full planks) or do you see a moulding "in" the floor? We call them "T" moldings (because the side profile looks like a "T"...or a mushroom slice).

These MUST be in EVERY DOOR WAY...if the floor flows THROUGH the doors from the hallway you have a MASSIVE issue with installer. Dumb and Dumber where hired.

Floating Bamboo is horrible to deal with. I never trust it. And the Lock and Fold system is not something I see as being a 'great product'. And just for fun, Hawa Bamboo Lock and Fold does not seem to have been added to the installation instructions just yet...sigh

http://hawabamboo.com/hawa-installation-instruction-guide.pdf

Anyway. The HALLWAY is known as a 'pinch point' and it acts just like a doorway. Because of this (the little jig inwards is a deal breaker) the start of the hallway (off of the main room) SHOULD BE treated like a doorway. Which means a T molding can/should be used.

And yes...bamboo is a B!tch to live with. It needs pin-point control of humidity. As soon as the heat is turned on, it shrinks. And then it shrinks some more. And if it hasn't shrunk enough...it shrinks again. The stress on the click-edges are HUGE. And those click systems on Bamboo SUCK! They are terrible. Most professionals who HAVE to deal with this, will use joint glue. They never trust the click-profile for precisely this reason.

And if you PAID for the cartons...you OWN the cartons. Or you get credit back from the order because they took them away.

This is going to go south in a HURRY. If you can get them to take out that stuff and give you back your money...then you are way ahead of the game. You would do very well to find someone else and something else.

And laminate does very well with large swings of humidity/heat changes like NYC.

HU-322788044 thanked SJ McCarthy
  • HU-322788044
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Beth H. : @SJ McCarthy

So I sent a full email outlining everything to the flooring company and included that I would be disputing the charges. Less than an hour later, they called me and we scheduled to have supervisor technician come and inspect this week.

They also mentioned that "disputing the credit card charge with them would be considered a breach of contract." The binding credit card/ agreement we signed at the beginning when working with them states we authorized them to charge the card and under no circumstance can a charge back be requested."

Is charge back and dispute the same thing???

This is SO frustrating.

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

No worries (she says from behind a computer screen). You can argue (successfully) that the flooring company/installer was the first to breach the contract by failing to install a functional floor. And then continued to be in breach of contract for failing to correct all the issues.

A "charge back" is the layman's term for "disputing the charges". They are the same thing. Your response is the company will get ALL of their money when the floor THEY INSTALLED:

1. Meets MANUFACTURER'S installation requirements; which must include

a. Subfloor preparation as per manufacturer's requirements for flatness ratings

b. Expansion gaps as per manufacturer's requirements

c. T-moldings and transitions strips through all doorways and at pinch points for openings of 36 inches or less (like entrance to hallways) as per manufacturer's requirements

2. The company meets or exceeds "Best Practices" as documented by the NWFA Wood flooring hand book.

Just for sheeps and giggles, what DOES your contract state?

HU-322788044 thanked SJ McCarthy
  • HU-322788044
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@SJ McCarthy Thanks for your wise words! Unfortunately I looked through the contract and it has a number of clauses to protect them from being badmouthed, etc etc. They were pretty thorough with THAT.

• DavidR
    4 years ago

I looked through the contract and it has a number of clauses to protect them from being badmouthed, etc

That's bad news, and that's why I take the time to read the entire contract before I sign, even though it annoys the contractors.

These "no disparagement" clauses are becoming more common. They're a giant red flag -- a good contractor doesn't need to silence his clients. Quite the opposite. I would never in a million years agree to that garbage . I'd politely thank them for their time and show them to the door.

I may not have much good to say about internet review sites, but nobody is going to muzzle me and keep me from posting true statements about work that I paid for.

• jani
    4 years ago

Any issue I had with a company or product ..I went first to them...if not resolved. Then to Credit card co. From reading the other expert opinions here, I would definitely demand excellence.

I would dispute the whole thing...even if you had already paid the bill. They will credit that back until resolved. They will ask for all correspondence and steps taken. It will be a process, but you will not have to pay the bill till it is investigated. And all the excess wood??

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    4 years ago

These "no disparagement" clauses are becoming more common. They're a giant red flag -- a good contractor doesn't need to silence his clients. Quite the opposite. I would never in a million years agree to that garbage . I'd politely thank them for their time and show them to the door.

Agreed. I caution my clients to eliminate any contractor who presents a contract with this clause in it. I had a client fire an unscrupulous builder and then discovered they were legally prohibited from reporting their experience online.

• PRO
    Johnson Flooring Co Inc
    4 years ago

Your floor appears to have contracted, and decoupled in the spots pictured. The shrinkage is somewhat normal but may have been minimized by better/longer acclimation. In the bedroom the floor can likely be pulled up and relaid, making sure there are no spots where the floor will bind.

I suspect that binding is the prime cause for the gap in your first picture. The gap is clearly wider on the right. It appears to be butted up against a vertical member. This needs to have more expansion space. I'm not sure what the cruddy silver thing is on the right side with the little white tiles adjacent. Is it a threshold or a curb that sticks up? If there's binding there it needs to be allowed to float freely.

Another potential issue involves how wide the installation area is. If the floor extends through a doorway into a large area or long hall. as the entire floor shrinks as a unit, all of the contraction might end up in one spot. Some floating floors require wide runs be separated by a t-mold so expansion or shrinkage in one area doesn't manifest itself in another.

• My House
    4 years ago

Extra Wood? Where are the extra 14 boxes of wood that YOU PURCHASED? It all belongs to you. It should be in your possession to do with as you wish.

You stated the salesperson showed you one sample- his floor. Have those extra boxes of material (that you paid for) become HIS floor, OR did the installer return those extra boxes to the manufacturer for cash or credit?

Please be nice to your superintendent- an extra witness for your side. (if lawsuit)

Discover who owns this company and the address for company.

Discover names of employees who worked on this job.

Tell company your dissatisfaction with job and demand they fix the floor, Threaten reporting them and lawsuit of necessary.

Keep dated detailed notations of all conversations and save all correspondence re: this issue.

Make a demand letter IN WRITING either for payment or what you need to be done to satisfy the job contract. BE SPECIFIC Send it certified mail.

Installer contractor licensed? Make a complaint to the licensing board.

NY Dept of Consumer Affairs - Make a complaint https://www1.nyc.gov/site/dca/index.page

IF YOU SETTLE WITH THEM -agree to pay them less than what is specified in the contract, then you need to have them sign a RELEASE for payment. This will prevent any contractors liens they place against your property.

HU-322788044 thanked My House
  • SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

I know this thread has gone stale but I think I've found an issue with the LACK of subfloor prep:

"They found composite tiles under the underpayment which neither we nor they knew about (it was coming up with the laminate removal so had to remove it all. We would have uneven floors) and that had to be removed so and extra $1000+ charge"

I'm going to guess the removal of the composite tile (?anyone check for asbestos if the tile was from the 80's?) really mucked things up.

The laminate was 'happy' sitting on the tile (I know...it wasn't supposed to be happy, but it was). The removal of the tile *MIGHT have caused some weird domino effect.

I'm so sorry this has happened. It should not be part of your life to live through a shoddy bamboo install.

With floating bamboo (click-together bamboo is notorious for issues...as in FAMOUS for having issues that reputable companies do NOT want to have anything to do with it) it is IMPERATIVE that all flatness ratings be taken. That expansion and transition strips are used through doorways.

That all pinch-points are dealt with appropriately. Etc.

If you are still dealing with this, please up date us. And if you can, please add photo re: doorways from hallway into other rooms (like the bedroom with the gap).

And finally, bamboo is UNSTABLE. Laminate is very stable. I'm guessing the perfect storm occurred in your home. And another issue: bamboo needs +++time to acclimate. And it takes a special meter (an expensive meter) to take moisture readings of the bamboo (and then it takes someone special to KNOW HOW to use the special meter).

I don't think you had anyone 'special' working on this project. I'm so sorry this has happened.

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

Any updates?

• Dawn Martinez
    4 years ago

@HU-322788044 I have not read the entire post, meaning all of the comments and answers, BUT here is my 2 cents, given I went to small claims court over a flooring install that cost $15k, and I won.

Check the manufacture's specifications on this flooring install. What are their requirements for install on your specific flooring.

Did your installer follow those manufacturer's specs. Did they allow for sufficient acclimatizing, did they measure moisture/temp etc if required, did they prepare the subfloor?

Also, look at your contract for a workmanship warranty.

Does the contract contain a clause about maintaining humidity etc in your space. A lot of things to consider.

Also any flooring material you paid for in excess of what was laid, belongs to you period.

I basically won my case and got back 50% (max allowed in small claims) for breach of contract on their workmanship warranty, gaps, cracks, uneven boards etc. and areas were they completely failed to use fasteners (noting however my floor was refinished acacia/solid hardwood)

Good luck, keep us posted.