SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_smith6227819

I just got back from Walmart

Kathsgrdn
4 years ago

Where I said I would never go again, but there are some things you just can't get anywhere else in this little town so I went. I was trying to park and some woman was walking right in the middle of the isle/road of parking spots. Why do people do this? She started about 10 car lengths back and slowly walked right up the middle of the road. So I had to follow slowly behind her. I wanted to honk so bad but I didn't. She was middle aged. Walking into the store, another middle aged woman looked at me and started ranting about something and pointing at her cart. There was a woman further inside scanning people's receipts and maybe she had to have her's done too? I don't know because I didn't understand a thing she said. I just smiled at her and kept walking.

Comments (103)

• amylou321
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I decided to take inventory today because of this discussion. I stopped at the grocery store on my way to work. More than half the vehicles in the lot were pickups. I was parked between 2 of them. No problem. Got to work, only 3 vehicles in the lot were NOT pickups. Again, no problems. Maybe it IS a regional thing. Around here,most men drive pickups. Of course, around here, it's also a source of pride for most men to handle their own repairs,building projects,and other such things,so pickups are essential. I have never been inconvenienced by one,parking wise. Well, unless you count the time SO blocked me in the driveway of our old house even though I REPEATEDLY asked him not to do that. Grrrrrr. But then again, THAT would have been inconvenient whether he blocked me in with his pickup or one of his regular cars.

Elmer, one of those men who works here and drives a huge pickup is very short. About 6 inches shorter than me, very short for a man. In his pickup today is a load of lumber. I asked him what it was for. He is building his kids a tree house. HE is building it himself. His pickup often is loaded with lumber, pipes and other building materials. He uses his truck for practical purposes. He is also one of the nicest, modest and most amiable people that work here. It is quite close minded and frankly ridiculous of you to think that what a man drives means he is trying to compensate for something. One might say the same thing about a man who drives a cute little sports car. Neither assumption should be taken at all seriously. Those are not practical or useful for a lot of people. And not everyone can afford 2 vehicles,one for practical use, and one to pacify the parking lot monitors.

• wildchild2x2
    4 years ago

Elmer, then you should stay out of the regular spaces. Given your argument, stick to the compact spaces designed for your vehicles. Don't be so inconsiderate of other vehicles. There are plenty of them to be had. Until they make areas for truck parking only I guess you'll just have to share the regular spaces or stay out of them so you don't find yourself next to the mean old truck.

• Related Discussions

Anyone ever grown one of these?

Q

Comments (5)
    The tuber/bulb should be encirled by rings that are very visible the top will have a circular area that is just a bit flat, it's where the growing point will be. This plant gets huge and requires lots of water once it gets going. Last year I planted it in a 20 gallon container (moved it up from 8" pot that I started it in) by the end of the summer it was a solid mass of roots and went through 6-8 gallons of water a day!!!! It was in full sun and got very top heavy, constantly blown over by the wind. I'll have to use stone in the bottom of the pots this year to keep it upright. Good luck, you'll love it. My brother in NYC grew it indoors, it did not get as large as those outside but was still a pretty impressive plant.
    ...See More

Just got these amaryllis tonite at walmart.......

Q

Comments (2)
    Hey kaleanna, I picked up Pink Diamond and Happiness earlier at Wally World. The Pink Diamond was a beautiful bloomer. 2 Huge flowered scapes. Happiness is just finishing blooming for me. It was very nice also. I got Gran Cru for someone else here and maybe Stargzer. As far as I know all the bulbs turned out nice. Good luck, let us know how yours do. here's the 2 I got Pink Diamond Happiness I also got Sumatra which I am very pleased with.
    ...See More

Just got back from Iceland, what should I do with all this wool?!

Q

Comments (4)
    You've been? Whenever we told anyone we were going to Iceland, they'd all ask why Iceland? Most people would go to London (been there) or Rome (been there too) or Paris (not yet!). But we really loved Iceland. And of course it's much more economical to go there now than it was a few years ago. Australia and Ireland are next on our list I think. I like to buy native yarns when I go somewhere and make my own souvenirs! My daughter and I stayed on an alpaca farm on Whidbey Island last fall and I made scarves with yarn that came from those alpacas!
    ...See More

I just got back from Buffy's owners house.....

Q

Comments (30)
    I want to add one additional comment. When you ask Larry if you can keep Buffy, let him know Buffy can visit anytime he wants to see her. It's hard to say how Larry feels about the dog without knowing him. He may be very attached but not have the time or money. My guess is though, based on the matted hair, that he is not a very responsible owner. If that is the case he will be more than willing to give up the dog. If he does give you the dog I would write up adoption papers and have him sign them. Just something that says he is relinqueshing his ownership to you. You can make something up to Larry about needing proof of ownership for pet insurance. Good luck and keep us informed. Donna P.S. You can also tell Larry when Buffy comes home that she will be needing follow up vet care. If Larry thinks the vet bills will start adding up he will be more willing to give Buffy to you.
    ...See More
  • wildchild2x2
    4 years ago

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

I guess I am lucky an my local stores have parking spaces that are adequate for all types of passenger vehicles.

• User
    4 years ago

While I don't get people who walk down the middle of a lane, I remember I'm in a warm car and it's not the end of the world.

• nickel_kg
    4 years ago

Regarding 'people walking down the middle of a lane,' don't you wish you had a car horn option that would give a friendly little toot (Hey I'm here!) rather than a full-blast HONNNK (outta my way you ____!!) ?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

LOL!! The world according to Elmer.....or how life should be if everyone followed his 'commendable' examples :-) Not at all sure that's the world I'd be very happy in. I am more of a live and let live sort of person rather than following someone's idea of how the rest of mankind should behave, simply to make life more convenient for them.

• chisue
    4 years ago

Yes, we need a 'friendly toot' option -- and another signal to convey, "Oops. Sorry!"

My DH is a cautious driver. (Maybe working for Allstate in an early job conditioned him, but he's also never caused an accident.) Now, as a Senior, he drives slightly over the speed limit -- not fast *enough* for many drivers. He uses the right lane -- is not playing annoying 'traffic monitor', slowing a whole highway. He stops for pedestrians. He's the 'model driver' we all are during our road test at the DMV.

This is completely unacceptable! Other drivers cannot be delayed! Some are *furious*, and they show it. This is demonstrated daily along a one-mile stretch of two-lane road between our town's shopping center and the next intersection. It's posted at 35 MPH. Driving 40 is too slow! The driver behind DH cannot tolerate driving the speed limit over that *whole mile*, so he retaliates by tail-gating, then rockets past, flooring it over the double line as DH slows to make a right turn into a narrow street with a school on the corner.

• lucillle
    4 years ago

Parking spots in lots are for cars, not for oversized vehicles

That seems to be somewhat of a victim blaming statement. Because stores thought it would be a good idea to reduce the size of parking spots in many places so they could pack more customers in, all of a sudden that makes one's truck one has had for years unwelcome?

There are other ways to handle over packed lots. If the store would give a discount to purchases made in quieter hours it might persuade some to avoid the rush hour.

I think that in the next 10 years brick and mortar stores are going to become far less used as online shopping continues. But customers will remember how they were treated by that store when they shop online.

• bob_cville
    4 years ago

I saw an article about a sign someone made to leave on someone's car when they park taking up two spaces. I don't think it would actually accomplish anything, but it is funny.

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

My large size SUV does fit in my garage, gets 22/24 mpg, it goes right through any car wash I have ever been to and public parking structures have never been a problem. I guess the only consequence I face is the wrath of "sporty car" drivers.

But, let me assure you, not one particle of my self-esteem relies upon their approval.

• Rose Pekelnicky
    4 years ago

I am surprised at some of the attitudes shown in these posts. The stores and parking lots are big enough for all of us. Sure there are discourteous people out there but there are also many very nice people. As for the trucks, they are common place and very handy in the winter here in rural NW Pennsylvania.

• nycefarm
    4 years ago

Sushipup - I much prefer to back into a spot than try to pull out backwards where I do not have a clear line of sight... It does not take that much longer than pulling in forward and is safer for other cars and pedestrians when leaving...

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

I prefer pulling forward through two spaces so I pull out head first into the aisle with a clear line of sight.. Backing up in a busy parking lot can be hazardous.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Rose, I'm going to guess that you live in an area that isn't densely populated, where large American cars and trucks are common, and where as a consequence spots in parking lots aren't narrow.

For many of us, and it's true for me, it's the opposite. We live in densely populated areas where the standard size of parking spots has been reduced - both because so many people drive smaller foreign cars and less space is theoretically needed, and because land is precious and builders need to squeeze in as many parking spots into the allotted lot area as possible. That's also why the concept of "compact car" parking spaces came along, even narrower than the now reduced standard size. The building code has been changed to be cooperative. Large cars don't fit in these spots and cause inconvenience for others when their inconsiderate drivers try to use them.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

"My large size SUV does fit in my garage, gets 22/24 mpg, "

And you're happy with that kind of mileage? Yikes.

How many people are normally in the car during your daily driving?

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

Yikes. I can't believe you inquired.

• Alisande
    4 years ago

How many people are normally in the car during your daily driving?

That's intrusive, Elmer. Elizabeth's mileage sounds just fine to me--and so does the 18/25 I get with my 1992 8-cylinder Chevy Caprice. I've been driving it in the warm months for well over 20 years, and I love it. It's beautiful, and it puts a lot of metal between me and the drunks.

(Here it's wearing bits of paper towel to soak off the apple debris that landed on it.)

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

SUVs, pickups , vans and all wheel drive is common around here due to environment, road conditions, terrain and occupation. No problems parking. We don't live like sardines in a can. The sport cars come out in nice weather. Not those foreign sissy clown cars , but cool cars like Mustangs, Corvettes, Camaros, Challengers and Chargers.

• phoggie
    4 years ago

Oh never mind Elmer....his narcissism is showing again as he is proud to let us all know he drives a “sports car” to build the ego of an old man! LOL

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

What really bothers me are the cars sitting right next to the entrance, waiting for their party to return. They cause other drivers (and pedestrians) to go around them. Go find a parking spot like the rest of us. (And if your party is disabled, there's parking up close anyway!)

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

Alisande, love love your car. Now that is a real car. I loved driving my Mustang I use to have. It was used 24/7 when there wasn't snow on the road. It got old and practicality unfortunately ruled and we got another 4 wheel drive Jeep.

I enjoy Elmer on this site. He makes me laugh with his altered sense of reality. He should wright a book. I bet it would be a best selling comedy.

• nickel_kg
    4 years ago

I remember going to popular malls so crowded that every spot was taken and your only option was to crawl slowly along a row hoping for someone to leave. I've been in parking lots marked 'compact cars' with fiddly twisty aisles that were a pain to transit no matter how small your car was. Why anyone would put up with that sort of trouble on a regular basis is beyond me.

• chisue
    4 years ago

I had fun with cars for years. Favorite was my blue Austin Healey 3000. Second favorite a white Jaguar 12 cyl. coupe. Now we drive a 2005 X-Type with 41K miles -- gets us around our limited 'orbit'.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Is a VW sedan a sports car?

Some of you have biases and assumptions, - you especially phoggie when it comes to biases- that just won't quit. Can't see beyond the end of your noses, it shows with a lot of opinions and attitudes expressed here.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

"SUVs, pickups , vans and all wheel drive is common around here due to environment, road conditions, terrain and occupation. "

Subarus are often rated as one of the best handling and most reliable 4wd cars for bad weather and bad conditions that can be found.

"He should wright a book. "

If I do, can I hire you to chuck my grandma and spellin?

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

Alisande, your Caprice is lovely. I have always liked that model.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

In Japan they have car horns that make a toy car beeping sound. They are hilarious. Was in a taxi once and the driver was getting really irritated with bicyclists in our way. He kept hitting that horn but all that sounded was a silly little "beep beep" sound that was barely audible.

• desertsteph
    4 years ago

it puts a lot of metal between me and the drunks.

those and the idiots texting / on a cell phone. I've asked my mechanic numerous times if he could figure a way to put the big front end of my Buick on the front of a Honda!

• cynic
    4 years ago

What amazes me are the ones who think that having their turn signal on "entitles" them to something.

And when someone is walking in the middle of the road, I honk my horn at them. I don't lay on it for five minutes but a quick couldn't you move? will usually get them to move to the side. Sure, occasionally they flip the bird but I don't let it bother me. I know they'll be blocking the aisles in the store too before long so I try to get in there and get done before she gets into the store.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

" it puts a lot of metal between me and the drunks. "

Maybe, but what may be more valuable would be the safety features in newer cars. Air bags, crumple zones to absorb impacts, cross bracing in doors, soft interiors, more nimble maneuvering, safety mounting and collision protection for fuel tanks, better braking performance, and on and on, Not sure what may grab you most. You're fooling yourself to think that a 27 year old car (or any >10 year old car) is safer than a newer model of almost any brand that has the wide list of safety features older cars simply didn't have and for which you can be sure that all operating and safety equipment can be expected to work as intended.

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

I was out running errands yesterday and noticed this example of parking rudeness which made me think of this thread. I found it interesting that the person with the normal size car intentionally and rudely took up two spaces while the SUV was politely parked in it's space and not causing any problems. My intent was to park between the two vehicles until I saw how thoughtless and rude the person driving the red car had been.

It also didn't escape my notice that the red car was taking up two spots at the front entrance of the store rather than in the back forty. *sigh*

• Alisande
    4 years ago

Are you sure that was intentional, Dawn? I've seen elderly people perform some astonishingly bad parking maneuvers. Then they get out of their cars, oblivious to what they've done.

You're fooling yourself to think that a 27 year old car (or any >10 year old car) is safer than a newer model . . .

Elmer, I never said my Caprice was safer than a newer model, although I admit I don't feel any less secure in it than I do in my Subaru. The Caprice has an air bag, BTW. But you really should make an effort to stop telling people they're fooling themselves. It's arrogant, and it's rude.

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

I am headed to the grocery store right now. They have senior parking near the door. It is bitter cold and snowing. I'm taking it!

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Fair enough, alisande, sorry. But to say "it puts a lot of metal between me and the drunks" most certainly implies a notion of more safety. Which my comment was intended to challenge.

Let's try this - older cars, no matter what the size, are less safe to be in because they lack so many of the safety features that are built in to newer cars. These standard safety features have been developed over years of engineering analyses of the dangers and damage of car collisions and provide better protection for passengers.

• Alisande
    4 years ago

Better.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    4 years ago

someone in a giant SUV or pick em up truck (as my kids call them) parks in two spots instead of one

You're lucky. They take up four spaces here. What's up with that? Other than complete selfishness. Ugh.

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

This is one of two Walmarts I go to. Every other isle has a walkway the whole length of the lot. No problems parking larger vehicles.

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

I envy you that sidewalk.

Funny thing. I went to W-M today and, in Michigan, the parking lot is snow covered but well plowed. You therefore cannot see any painted lines. I went all the way down to end of a row and parked in a nice wide spot, parallel to the other cars, with plenty of room to open the doors and liftgate. I did a good job. I shopped for hours and hours. By the time I got back to my car, all the other cars had changed and were on a different angle. I was parked too far in with the back end over too far to the right...as if I were taking up two spaces! A woman getting into her car next to me looked at me strangely and I opened my window and apologized. I told her it was fine when I parked it! She laughed and said it happens all the time. The rows of cars shift because there are no lines. I immediately thought of this thread!

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

I'm not sure what difference the walkway between the parking aisles (not "isles") would make. It's the width of the spaces that matters most.

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

Elizabeth, it's fun to guess where and how to park when it snows. Not only you can't see the lines , but you can't see the curbs. The walkways are great. Seniors, and families can walk to the store without worry of backing up cars and idiots speeding.

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

Alisande, no I'm not sure why the car was parked that way or whether or not the driver was a senior citizen. I've seen some pretty sloppy parking jobs that did not seem intentional (like a car over the line or not pulled far enough in), but the way this one is parked looked intentional to me. The car was pristine with a really nice paint job and interior which makes me think the owner/driver's intent was to protect it and that he/she didn't care if they were inconveniencing others or not. But, I could be totally wrong in that assessment.

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

I would prefer a nice sidewalk between aisles. I think it would be safer especially for folks with small children.

• nickel_kg
    4 years ago

Elmer, I think the relation between the aisle walkways and parking space size relates to land availability. Where land is cheap and abundant, parking lots can afford to be generously sized, including the driving lanes and individual parking spaces. Where land is expensive, parking lots need to squeeze in as many spaces as possible. So seeing a walkway is a clue -- but not a guarantee, of course -- that the rest of the parking lot will be nicely sized. That's how I took it.

Elizabeth, I agree walkways are nice. But I think the safest thing for small children is to have an attentive adult with them, teaching them how to walk safely, no matter where they walk.

• Rose Pekelnicky
    4 years ago

The walkways would be good in areas where it doesn't snow. In a cold snowy climate the walkways would require snow removal

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

The walk way is in a snowy area, but not constant snow. They use a small snow plow or snow blowers on sidewalks. Most businesses hire snow removal companies.

• Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Yes nickel, I had the same thought. The apparently wide spots, broad aisles and the walkway made me think it was in an area with plenty of available space and low land costs. Which was why I suspected some of the earlier comments questioning the problem with big cars and narrow spots may have been from people who hadn't experienced the problems in their local areas that many of us have had. Or who didn't care.

• Alisande
    4 years ago

Dawn, good point about the pristine car. With behavior like that, they're lucky their well-tended car doesn't get keyed.

• Elizabeth
    4 years ago

I have seen folks deliberately parking closely to a car parked over two spaces. Just to send a message. ( No. It wasn't me. But I did laugh. )

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I love my old Nissan Altima, but there is one thing it does poorly, sharp turns. It's hard to park it into narrow spaces when there are cars on either side of the space I want. A lot of times I will back up and adjust it, sometimes more than once so I'm not too far over one side or the other. A lot of times I will just move on to an easier spot that I can turn into.