I just got back from Walmart

Kathsgrdn

Where I said I would never go again, but there are some things you just can't get anywhere else in this little town so I went. I was trying to park and some woman was walking right in the middle of the isle/road of parking spots. Why do people do this? She started about 10 car lengths back and slowly walked right up the middle of the road. So I had to follow slowly behind her. I wanted to honk so bad but I didn't. She was middle aged. Walking into the store, another middle aged woman looked at me and started ranting about something and pointing at her cart. There was a woman further inside scanning people's receipts and maybe she had to have her's done too? I don't know because I didn't understand a thing she said. I just smiled at her and kept walking.

SaveComment103Like
Comments (103)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glenda_al

Have not been in Wal Mart for months, but I do so enjoy online shopping and free outside pickup.

4 Likes Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

LOL!! Good thing it's cold out and the windows are rolled up because I yell at people like that. But only from the safety of inside my car :-) Probably a few swear words involved as well!! People who dawdle along like they are the only ones on the planet drive me nuts. If you are crossing a street, step lively!! And don't stroll down the middle of a lane intended for cars - keep off to the side!

I had a early dog grooming appointment this morning at what is essentially an entire town dedicated to retail establishments.....like one giant outdoor mall. No issues when taking the dog in but picking up this afternoon was another matter. This is why I try to avoid all retail establishments except the grocer until after the first of the year....my blood pressure just does not handle it well :-)

I did have to stop at the grocery on my way home and encountered the same thing inside the store. Lots of male helpers present - more so than usual - and most were give the task of pushing the cart. And they were obviously not used to this assignment as they meandered around like lost souls in the middle of every aisle that were already jam packed with holiday cooking displays, following their female partners. Please, stay out of the way!!

4 Likes Save    
girlnamedgalez8a

Kathsgrdn, I know what you mean. And it will just continue to get crazier until after the new year. I think that glenda has the right idea. Shop online & pickup outside.

1 Like Save    
nicole___

I purchased motor oil @ Walmart a week ago, before ALL this holiday shopping started. Today I had a 50% off coupon for ACE Hardware, picked up a 5qt jug there! I LOVE ALL these coupons they send out this time of year. Score!

3 Likes Save    
matthias_lang

I don't mind when people walk down the middle of a parking lot aisle. I figure doing so makes them more visible to drivers on both sides of the aisle who want to back out of a parking space. It also gives the pedestrian room to dodge to either side should a car back out at them, no matter which side the car comes from. I wouldn't say the aisles are made just for cars either. They are made, as well, for people who need to get to and from the store and cars.

10 Likes Save    
functionthenlook

Parking lot are the pits. Not only walking down the middle of the isle, but purposely walking behind your car as your backing up and the young people walking at turtle speed at the cross walks . I had one lady sitting with her car door wide open texting as I was trying to pull in the spot next to her. I had to beep my horn.

My local grocery store's isles are short. There is no car coming down the isle when you start backing out but when you get halfway out there is someone whipping into the isle blowing their horn for you to stop so they can whiz by you. Heaven forbid they had to stop and wait till you finished backing out.

Then you got the seniors driving cars way to big for them to handle taking forever trying to park. Of course the same seniors can't turn or judge distance anymore to see what is behind them so they back out until they hit another car and then go on their merry way.

4 Likes Save    
Alisande

I go to Walmart a lot, but never on Black Friday. However, I needed to go there yesterday. I went late in the afternoon, and it was fine. The most excitement was when I fell in love with a Tesla. Sadly, it wasn't a Black Friday special. :-)

7 Likes Save    
Elizabeth

Nice color Tesla

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I went to the grocery store today and when driving down the aisle to leave, I was nearly hit by 3 different cars pulling out too fast and without looking. It was sprinkling and I had the headlights on so there was no reason to not see my car moving down the aisle.

"Then you got the seniors driving cars way to big for them to handle "

Yeah? Well in my area, the vehicles that are poorly handled by their drivers, and too large to fit into parking spots, are oversized SUVs (like the GM models) and oversized pickup trucks that drivers insist on parking in normal slots. Even when they fit, they stick out too far into the aisle and make maneuvering around them difficult. I've said before of my bias- when I see a short guy getting out of a big truck, I can't help but think they're trying to compensate for their lack of height, lack of brains, lack of adequate manhood size, or all three. No one will convince me it isn't the case - larger guys who are confident (like me, for instance) often like driving smaller cars. I have no need for a truck and would never want to own one. If I did and drove into a parking lot, I'd try to be considerate to others and park where it wouldn't inconvenience anyone.

9 Likes Save    
DawnInCal

People who drive the wrong way down the aisles are the ones who irritate me.

7 Likes Save    
sushipup1

Can we talk about the people who take their time BACKING INTO parking slots?

2 Likes Save    
dedtired

People who sit in the aisle with their blinker on waiting for a particular parking spot while someone unloads a ton of groceries, pushes their cart back to the cart corral, buckles the baby back in a car seat and fishes their car keys out of their bag. . Meanwhile there is gridlock in every direction. For crying out loud, have some consideration and keep moving! Or people who slllooowwlly drive behind someone pushing their cart back to their car.

5 Likes Save    
georgysmom2

There are too many people who only think about themselves. They never stop to think there are other people sharing this planet with them.

5 Likes Save    
matthias_lang

dedtired, what else should they do but drive slowly if there is a pedestrian in the way?

3 Likes Save    
blfenton

This time of year brings out the crazies. At this time of year I park at the back of the lot, furthest from the door of the store. I figure there is less trouble for me to get into way out there. Oh and I never walk down the middle of a car aisle.

Now, can we talk (vent) about those who leave their grocery carts in the middle of the grocery aisle while they read every package on the shelf.

2 Likes Save    
desertsteph

I have no need for a truck

many people do have a need for one. being big and confident isn't a requirement for that need.

8 Likes Save    
DawnInCal

'K, now I want to vent about how when I go shopping and am in the furthest corner of the store looking at some obscure item that no one wants. The display area is completely deserted; I almost feel like I'm the only one in the store, until...

...one by one, other people start showing up, crowding me out of the way and completely taking over the space that just moments ago was like the least desirable area of the store, until I am no longer able to look at those neon ice gripper thingies that I've been wanting for my boots with the slippery tread. Who knew so many people all of a sudden have slippery boots!?!?

4 Likes Save    
functionthenlook

Or parents your 4 year old can't push the shopping cart without running into other shoppers.

And stores with isles clogged up with those free standing displays right in front of a product you need.

1 Like Save    
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

matthais_lang, I think that you and I are cut from the same cloth. :-)

Save    
Elizabeth

It's the one's having a conversation with another customer that bother me. Not that I am anti-social mind you. But they always park their carts in the center of an aisle in a kind of diagonal fashion so it blocks the entire aisle. I have on occasion said " excuse me " and been glared at and they don't move! I have had to make a U-turn, go up the next aisle and come back to their other side to get what I needed. They look at me as if I am so annoying. They really could just put their carts to one side to let others pass. No clue that they are the rude one's.

1 Like Save    
arcy_gw

All this is why I shop at 6AM pretty exclusively. Grocery store opens at 6, WalMart is always open...it is not possible to be in a hurry--on a tight tight time line and get anyone to care. People take their time, their half of the road down the middle, walk where they feel safest, live life for the adventure vs the utility and there is NOTHING I in my rush can do to encourage/motivate/make them care and get the HECK OUT OF MY WAY. Once we step outside our front door we are not in charge!! haahahahah

Save    
Elizabeth

I like to leave for shopping as soon as the sun comes up. I have noticed that it is mostly grey haired people shopping at that hour and the music they are playing "the oldies". :-)

2 Likes Save    
watchmelol

People who have handyman/woman skills need trucks. I was just telling DH the other day that if it comes to a point he no longer drives I'm keeping the truck. I've been known to buy and take home anything from furniture to appliances to garden materials and lumber. Those things require a truck. Do it yourselfers need a truck in the family.

And with car seat and booster seat laws today along with laws against kids riding in the front seat until a certain age any family with more than two kids or who wants to take friends anywhere or carpool does need a larger SUV. It's that or take multiple cars just to go out to dinner or a park.

7 Likes Save    
ritaweeda

Too bad all the big stores don't install the sidewalks in between the parking aisles like the Targets do here. They are the only ones that do it that I've noticed.

I'm more apt to get annoyed at the people who ride the motorized carts in the stores than anything else. I don't know how many times I've almost been backed into or ran over by one that is being piloted by someone who frankly shouldn't be shopping alone in the first place. I do feel bad for anyone requiring the use of one but there are a lot of them who seem to think that just because they aren't ambulatory they don't have to be courteous to anyone anymore. And then they will ride down the middle of the aisle, stop there and take an eternity looking for something and give you a dirty look when you need to get by them. If you try to be nice to them and ask if they need assistance they act like you're offending them. (I guess in their eyes you are, you're trying to rush them - and actually yes, that's true!)

I have an Uncle who retired from the Social Security Administration and never goes to the store on the days where all the retirees have just gotten their checks. I laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair when he told me he never goes on check day lest he would have to deal with "all those curmudgeons". I knew what the word meant but I'd never in my entire life known anyone that had actually used it!

2 Likes Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

"I have an Uncle who retired from the Social Security Administration and never goes to the store on the days where all the retirees have just gotten their checks. I laughed so hard I almost fell off my chair when he told me he never goes on check day lest he would have to deal with "all those curmudgeons". I knew what the word meant but I'd never in my entire life known anyone that had actually used it!"

He must have been retired for sometime as SSA checks have not been distributed on a single day of the month for many years. It depends on when you were born, so can appear any week of the month. And direct deposits can also affect when the actual payment is received.

1 Like Save    
littlebug zone 5 Missouri

Yes, DawninCal!!! I’ve noticed that too. In my experience, I wander all around a sparsely populated store looking for a whatzit, and when I finally find it there’s at least one other person standing right in front of the whatzits! WTH?

1 Like Save    
Elizabeth

I actually got hit by someone in a cart. I was standing still looking at a display and I saw him approaching out of the corner of my eye. I didn't think I needed to move, he clearly could see me also. He slammed into my leg and nearly knocked me to the floor. I looked at him and said, " You hit me". He shouted that I should have gotten out of his way, it was my fault! I should have seen him coming! The store manager was nearby and saw this. He came over and told me that I was fine, don't worry about it. Well, my leg was badly bruised and I was rather PO'ed. An apology would have been nice instead of being told how I should feel and to forget about it.

2 Likes Save    
MrsM

I agree with almost all the comments above. I think the shopping behavior in the stores is more and more mirroring the behavior of traffic out on the roads. It's each man or woman for themselves..my purchases are more important than yours. And the little kids..oh the little kids. I love the parents who allow the little ones to push the shopping cart. Last week I almost got rammed real hard by an inch in my thigh by a boy no older than 7 or so. I saw him coming out of the side of my eye. He did this takeoff thing and peeled off with the cart right at me. The mother just sort of gave him a bored look and said be careful instead taking over and removing the cart from him. And those specialty carts that look like cars to put your kids in..they're the size of a Mack truck. I will still deal with parking lots and shopping though. As far as food I don't want home delivery. I prefer to see or feel or pick up my food.

2 Likes Save    
functionthenlook

Some of those people in the motorized carts wouldn't need them if they lost 200 lbs.

The gray brigade comes out around 10 am here.

3 Likes Save    
Lars

I have never been to a Walmart, and there isn't close to where I live, partly because land is too expensive and partly because of zoning regulations. I really dislike shopping in December, but we did go to Home Depot in Palm Springs yesterday. People there were extremely polite, considerate, and friendly, as were the people at Cárdenas Market in Cathedral City.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

There IS a Walmart Super Center in Palm Springs. I can understand there not being one in downtown LA as these tend to be a more suburban shopping adventure :-) There are none located within the Seattle city limits either but several scattered around the suburban areas surrounding the city proper.

Save    
Rusty

Matthais_lang, I like the way you think!! ! !

Rusty

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"many people do have a need for one."

Sure, desertsteph. I can tell the difference between trucks used for work, hauling or recreation (like for dirt bikes) and Cowboy Cadillacs. Can you? Or the big SUVs with typically one person in them.

The brain size comes in to play no matter what. Great, you squeezed into that spot. Now the owners of the cars on either side don't have enough room to open their doors. Any thoughts about that, little man or little lady? Maybe parking at the far end of the lot would be more considerate?

Save    
Elizabeth

No matter what model vehicle you are driving, you really should look to both sides to make sure others can open their doors. If not out of courtesy, but to make sure they don't ding your doors. Sometimes folks are not centered in their space and you have to take that into account also.

I do believe in giving people in a cart the same courtesy as any other shopper. Unfortunately, some of them are bullies as are their shopping companions. I find it best to scoot over a couple aisles so I don't encounter them again. Then I backtrack to aisles I missed. It takes longer to shop that way though.

1 Like Save    
Kathsgrdn

Oh there are those people in motor scooters too. The rudest "get the h@ll out of my way" people in the world. I almost got hit by one on this same shopping trip. I don't know how many times working in the hospital at my last job, how many times I have been nearly run down by people in motorized scooters/wheelchairs. Packed hallways, you shouldn't be running your scooter so fast down them. Same with stores, you aren't more important than everyone else!

I remember once when I was in the Air Force, had an hour lunch but worked out away from the main part of base. I had to do some shopping and this was a base where the parking spots were extremely limited for the amount of people stationed there and families. So, I go out and am sitting behind a car waiting in front of the bx for a space to open up. It clearly says on a sign right in front of them "no stopping at any time". So I wait and wait and they never move. I was behind them for at least 5 minutes realized I am running out of lunch break time and blocking everyone else who comes up behind me. So I pull around them and low and behold there is a parking spot that they never saw because they didn't follow the sign and just move on through. I parked in it and walked into the bx or wherever I was going. Came out and that person had put a nasty note on my car, calling me a fat heifer or something close to that. It was a long time ago so I don't really remember but it was very rude and they were completely irrational. Not my fault you were too stupid not to move on through like you were supposed to and blocking traffic. I don't know why I still remember this but I do.

Save    
DawnInCal

Kath, even though they left you a rude note, I'd look at that as karma working the way it's supposed to. Or, at least the way I think it should work.

Save    
amylou321

Regarding the trucks. How can one tell a work truck from a non work truck? SO has 2 dually pick up trucks. He uses them to pull his enclosed racecar trailer,his regular trailers, his horse trailer, to haul firewood home,to load up and haul away large things from the house, like our old washer and dryer or to haul things home,like our massive glider chairs on the porch or the big dog houses he had custom built or new appliances. Anything we need he goes and gets in in one of the trucks. He just brought home 200 pounds of dog food and 100 pounds of corn for the deer in it. And he keeps them sparkling clean. They are not dusty and beat up. We often ride in one or the other when we go places. They are more comfortable for him, as he is 6 foot 4 or 5.

Most people who prefer to do things for themselves rather than pay someone else to do the hard stuff has a use for a pickup or an SUV. And some people cannot afford more than one vehicle, and will get one that will be useful in all situations. My father will grump and fuss about people in pickups but then has no problem asking my sister and her husband to use their pickup to help him do what he doesn't want to. They hauled in my parents huge Christmas tree on Thanksgiving as well as some barrels of corn that my mom puts out for the deer that come in the yard. And they just got new furniture. He had no problem calling and asking my BIL to pick it up in his pickup rather than pay for delivery. Guaranteed he will grump and fuss about the next pickup he sees in the road or in a parking lot. And guaranteed he will have my mom call and ask them to come haul the Christmas tree away after the holidays.....

I drive a small car and have never had a problem when parked next to or across from a pickup or suv. My work parking lot is jam packed with both. Never had an issue there or at any parking lot. Perhaps it's an issue with individual drivers, not the vehicle they drive?

6 Likes Save    
ritaweeda

DH drives a pick-up because he has to do a lot of heavy hauling, he's in the electrical trade. Also we have acreage which requires a big vehicle for the needs out here, so that's his personal vehicle. But when he parks it in a shopping center lot he parks it way out past all the other cars so that he doesn't cause a problem for others. If they choose to park next to him then it's their trial to bear. I drive a compact car myself. I get very aggravated when even though my vehicle is small and I park correctly there are times when I have to try to squeeze into my car through a very small opening so that I don't damage the big honkin' pick-up or SUV parked next to me. And I never park next to one on the driver's side but I have no control over who comes after me and parks there.

Save    
Kathsgrdn

I do hate when someone in a giant SUV or pick em up truck (as my kids call them) parks in two spots instead of one. I've thought about buying a used one to haul things in that don't fit in my car. I still haven't done it but it would be nice to have especially since I have to haul bags of manure and mulch every year. I hate putting them in my car but I do.

1 Like Save    
chisue

My town is full of gigantic wannabe trucks driven by matrons hauling their 2.5 kids and the requisite dog from Point A to Point B. Reading the brands makes me laugh, especially "Land Rover". Old geezers wearing flat caps over their bald heads gun heir 400 HP sports cars down our 25 MPH road on secret missions to fetch a gallon of milk and package of Oreos.

Save    
Ladydi Zone 7A NW BC Canada

Seriously, parking lots are also shrinking the size of their lanes as well as the parking spots. Suggesting that everyone eliminate their Truck or SUV is also somewhat narrow minded. People who are located on acreage in small rural towns and working in trade jobs that require large tool boxes & supplies as part of their emplyment don't drive small cars. Been there done that HaHa!

4 Likes Save    
DawnInCal

Ironically, Home Depot (in my experience) has among the most narrow parking spots of all even though many of their customers are contractors who drive construction trucks and the rest are people using pickups to haul home lumber, large appliances, building materials and nursery materials. Hubby drives a full size pickup and when he parks within the lines in a space at Home Depot he has just a few inches from each side of his truck to the painted lines. He parks as far out in the lot as he can, but our local HD is usually packed no matter what time of day we go there.

He just piped up and mentioned that when he was in Texas he noticed that the parking spaces are much larger (everything's bigger in Texas) no matter what store he was shopping at. Many of them have double lines (love those) between the spaces.

2 Likes Save    
Lars

I'm not in Palm Springs, and I was specifically talking about my neighborhood in western Los Angeles. I went to HD in Palm Springs, and that is closer to my house here than downtown PS is. Land values in Coachella Valley are a small fraction of what they are in West L.A. Here the houses cost more than the land they are on, but in WLA, the land is worth much more than most of the houses.

Save    
watchmelol

What I don't understand is why there are so people in small cars can't seem to park between the lines.They can have the widest spot in the lot and they will still be straddling the line or parked at an angle in a straight spot, not leaving any more for anything larger than a motorcycle to park next to them. And who on a bike would want to? People who park like that would probably hit it with their door without giving a thought.

The reason those of us who drive trucks back in is because it's easier to back into those ridiculously narrow spaces than to pull in nose first. Angled spaces I will pull in nose first but straight ones are easier to back into.

2 Likes Save    
Elmer J Fudd

" reason those of us who drive trucks back in is because it's easier to back into those ridiculously narrow spaces"

You didn't read the memo you were sent. Please don't park your truck in a narrow space in a part of the lot where normal sized cars will want to park. You chose a vehicle too big for parking spots. The consequences are yours, not everyone else's. Please leave it in a less crowded part of the lot out of consideration for others.

Save    
Elizabeth

In Seattle, many parking lots have compact car parking spaces and some larger spaces. Of course, the smaller spaces were closer to the building. Amusing.

1 Like Save    
dedtired

dedtired, what else should they do but drive slowly if there is a pedestrian in the way?

Drivers often follow shoppers who are not in the way but are on their way back to their car,. The driver wants to get their parking space. That means all the drivers behind them must creep along as well. Of course I don’t condone driving over people who are walking in the middle of the parking lot aisle. Why would you even think that?

Save    
DawnInCal

watchme, my theory for why people do that is to protect their car from door dings, but what they don't seem to realize, is that they are setting themselves up for some serious vandalism (such as being keyed) by people who are infuriated by their selfishness in taking up two spots, especially when the parking lot is full.

That is not something I would ever do (vandalism), but we all know that there are plenty of people out there who would.

Save    
watchmelol

Elmer...... you need to read more of the posts above to understand. We aren't trying to park in spaces for compact cars. Too many parking lots are being built with all the spaces much narrower than they used to be. Home Depot has dozens of handicapped spaces (mostly empty) however there are few spaces for trucks and you are lucky to find 1 or 2 that can handle a truck and a trailer. I know you hire others to do everything for you but many of us in the real world get our hands dirty. We drive trucks.

DawnInCal, I am not talking about the entitled who don't want scratches although I agree with your assessment. They exist. But those are blatant about taking two spaces not just a slight overhang or parking angled because they didn't want to take the time to straighten out. I see too many just too lazy or simply having bad driving skills parking. The it "good enough crowd" who are simply inconsiderate or clueless.

Save    
always1stepbehind

I love the Wal Mart near me...my big gripe right now is they made 13 of the spots back by the garden center where I always park into on line pick up...unless it's starts to catch on, I really don't think they needed all 13 spots..

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I read it. Don't back in or pull in forward to any "ridiculously narrow spaces" (your words), they're not meant for vehicles too big to fit easily and be a good neighbor to adjoining parked cars.

Save    
watchmelol

If I am between the lines I am properly in the space designed for my vehicle. Center your Prius and we can get along fine.

5 Likes Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Parking spots in lots are for cars, not for oversized vehicles. If your vehicle runs from line to line with little or no margin in-between, it's too large for the spot.

I drive sportier cars than the Prius but they fit well in parking spots and without causing anyone inconvenience or difficulty getting in or out of their own cars. Unless they themselves are driving vehicles too large for car spots. In which case, they shouldn't be so inconsiderate and should park elsewhere.

Save    
amylou321

I decided to take inventory today because of this discussion. I stopped at the grocery store on my way to work. More than half the vehicles in the lot were pickups. I was parked between 2 of them. No problem. Got to work, only 3 vehicles in the lot were NOT pickups. Again, no problems. Maybe it IS a regional thing. Around here,most men drive pickups. Of course, around here, it's also a source of pride for most men to handle their own repairs,building projects,and other such things,so pickups are essential. I have never been inconvenienced by one,parking wise. Well, unless you count the time SO blocked me in the driveway of our old house even though I REPEATEDLY asked him not to do that. Grrrrrr. But then again, THAT would have been inconvenient whether he blocked me in with his pickup or one of his regular cars.

Elmer, one of those men who works here and drives a huge pickup is very short. About 6 inches shorter than me, very short for a man. In his pickup today is a load of lumber. I asked him what it was for. He is building his kids a tree house. HE is building it himself. His pickup often is loaded with lumber, pipes and other building materials. He uses his truck for practical purposes. He is also one of the nicest, modest and most amiable people that work here. It is quite close minded and frankly ridiculous of you to think that what a man drives means he is trying to compensate for something. One might say the same thing about a man who drives a cute little sports car. Neither assumption should be taken at all seriously. Those are not practical or useful for a lot of people. And not everyone can afford 2 vehicles,one for practical use, and one to pacify the parking lot monitors.

8 Likes Save    
watchmelol

Elmer, then you should stay out of the regular spaces. Given your argument, stick to the compact spaces designed for your vehicles. Don't be so inconsiderate of other vehicles. There are plenty of them to be had. Until they make areas for truck parking only I guess you'll just have to share the regular spaces or stay out of them so you don't find yourself next to the mean old truck.

4 Likes Save    
watchmelol

2 Likes Save    
Elizabeth

I guess I am lucky an my local stores have parking spaces that are adequate for all types of passenger vehicles.

3 Likes Save    
Debby

While I don't get people who walk down the middle of a lane, I remember I'm in a warm car and it's not the end of the world.

Save    
nickel_kg

Regarding 'people walking down the middle of a lane,' don't you wish you had a car horn option that would give a friendly little toot (Hey I'm here!) rather than a full-blast HONNNK (outta my way you ____!!) ?

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

LOL!! The world according to Elmer.....or how life should be if everyone followed his 'commendable' examples :-) Not at all sure that's the world I'd be very happy in. I am more of a live and let live sort of person rather than following someone's idea of how the rest of mankind should behave, simply to make life more convenient for them.

8 Likes Save    
chisue

Yes, we need a 'friendly toot' option -- and another signal to convey, "Oops. Sorry!"

My DH is a cautious driver. (Maybe working for Allstate in an early job conditioned him, but he's also never caused an accident.) Now, as a Senior, he drives slightly over the speed limit -- not fast *enough* for many drivers. He uses the right lane -- is not playing annoying 'traffic monitor', slowing a whole highway. He stops for pedestrians. He's the 'model driver' we all are during our road test at the DMV.

This is completely unacceptable! Other drivers cannot be delayed! Some are *furious*, and they show it. This is demonstrated daily along a one-mile stretch of two-lane road between our town's shopping center and the next intersection. It's posted at 35 MPH. Driving 40 is too slow! The driver behind DH cannot tolerate driving the speed limit over that *whole mile*, so he retaliates by tail-gating, then rockets past, flooring it over the double line as DH slows to make a right turn into a narrow street with a school on the corner.

3 Likes Save    
Lucille

Parking spots in lots are for cars, not for oversized vehicles

That seems to be somewhat of a victim blaming statement. Because stores thought it would be a good idea to reduce the size of parking spots in many places so they could pack more customers in, all of a sudden that makes one's truck one has had for years unwelcome?

There are other ways to handle over packed lots. If the store would give a discount to purchases made in quieter hours it might persuade some to avoid the rush hour.

I think that in the next 10 years brick and mortar stores are going to become far less used as online shopping continues. But customers will remember how they were treated by that store when they shop online.

1 Like Save    
bob_cville

I saw an article about a sign someone made to leave on someone's car when they park taking up two spaces. I don't think it would actually accomplish anything, but it is funny.

7 Likes Save    
Elizabeth

My large size SUV does fit in my garage, gets 22/24 mpg, it goes right through any car wash I have ever been to and public parking structures have never been a problem. I guess the only consequence I face is the wrath of "sporty car" drivers.

But, let me assure you, not one particle of my self-esteem relies upon their approval.

5 Likes Save    
Rose Pekelnicky

I am surprised at some of the attitudes shown in these posts. The stores and parking lots are big enough for all of us. Sure there are discourteous people out there but there are also many very nice people. As for the trucks, they are common place and very handy in the winter here in rural NW Pennsylvania.

3 Likes Save    
nycefarm

Sushipup - I much prefer to back into a spot than try to pull out backwards where I do not have a clear line of sight... It does not take that much longer than pulling in forward and is safer for other cars and pedestrians when leaving...

Save    
Elizabeth

I prefer pulling forward through two spaces so I pull out head first into the aisle with a clear line of sight.. Backing up in a busy parking lot can be hazardous.

3 Likes Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Rose, I'm going to guess that you live in an area that isn't densely populated, where large American cars and trucks are common, and where as a consequence spots in parking lots aren't narrow.

For many of us, and it's true for me, it's the opposite. We live in densely populated areas where the standard size of parking spots has been reduced - both because so many people drive smaller foreign cars and less space is theoretically needed, and because land is precious and builders need to squeeze in as many parking spots into the allotted lot area as possible. That's also why the concept of "compact car" parking spaces came along, even narrower than the now reduced standard size. The building code has been changed to be cooperative. Large cars don't fit in these spots and cause inconvenience for others when their inconsiderate drivers try to use them.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"My large size SUV does fit in my garage, gets 22/24 mpg, "

And you're happy with that kind of mileage? Yikes.

How many people are normally in the car during your daily driving?

Save    
Elizabeth

Yikes. I can't believe you inquired.

3 Likes Save    
Alisande

How many people are normally in the car during your daily driving?

That's intrusive, Elmer. Elizabeth's mileage sounds just fine to me--and so does the 18/25 I get with my 1992 8-cylinder Chevy Caprice. I've been driving it in the warm months for well over 20 years, and I love it. It's beautiful, and it puts a lot of metal between me and the drunks.

(Here it's wearing bits of paper towel to soak off the apple debris that landed on it.)

5 Likes Save    
functionthenlook

SUVs, pickups , vans and all wheel drive is common around here due to environment, road conditions, terrain and occupation. No problems parking. We don't live like sardines in a can. The sport cars come out in nice weather. Not those foreign sissy clown cars , but cool cars like Mustangs, Corvettes, Camaros, Challengers and Chargers.

1 Like Save    
phoggie

Oh never mind Elmer....his narcissism is showing again as he is proud to let us all know he drives a “sports car” to build the ego of an old man! LOL

3 Likes Save    
Feathers11

What really bothers me are the cars sitting right next to the entrance, waiting for their party to return. They cause other drivers (and pedestrians) to go around them. Go find a parking spot like the rest of us. (And if your party is disabled, there's parking up close anyway!)

Save    
functionthenlook

Alisande, love love your car. Now that is a real car. I loved driving my Mustang I use to have. It was used 24/7 when there wasn't snow on the road. It got old and practicality unfortunately ruled and we got another 4 wheel drive Jeep.

I enjoy Elmer on this site. He makes me laugh with his altered sense of reality. He should wright a book. I bet it would be a best selling comedy.

2 Likes Save    
nickel_kg

I remember going to popular malls so crowded that every spot was taken and your only option was to crawl slowly along a row hoping for someone to leave. I've been in parking lots marked 'compact cars' with fiddly twisty aisles that were a pain to transit no matter how small your car was. Why anyone would put up with that sort of trouble on a regular basis is beyond me.

Save    
chisue

I had fun with cars for years. Favorite was my blue Austin Healey 3000. Second favorite a white Jaguar 12 cyl. coupe. Now we drive a 2005 X-Type with 41K miles -- gets us around our limited 'orbit'.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Is a VW sedan a sports car?

Some of you have biases and assumptions, - you especially phoggie when it comes to biases- that just won't quit. Can't see beyond the end of your noses, it shows with a lot of opinions and attitudes expressed here.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"SUVs, pickups , vans and all wheel drive is common around here due to environment, road conditions, terrain and occupation. "

Subarus are often rated as one of the best handling and most reliable 4wd cars for bad weather and bad conditions that can be found.

"He should wright a book. "

If I do, can I hire you to chuck my grandma and spellin?

1 Like Save    
Elizabeth

Alisande, your Caprice is lovely. I have always liked that model.

2 Likes Save    
Kathsgrdn

In Japan they have car horns that make a toy car beeping sound. They are hilarious. Was in a taxi once and the driver was getting really irritated with bicyclists in our way. He kept hitting that horn but all that sounded was a silly little "beep beep" sound that was barely audible.

Save    
desertsteph

it puts a lot of metal between me and the drunks.

those and the idiots texting / on a cell phone. I've asked my mechanic numerous times if he could figure a way to put the big front end of my Buick on the front of a Honda!

1 Like Save    
cynic

What amazes me are the ones who think that having their turn signal on "entitles" them to something.

And when someone is walking in the middle of the road, I honk my horn at them. I don't lay on it for five minutes but a quick couldn't you move? will usually get them to move to the side. Sure, occasionally they flip the bird but I don't let it bother me. I know they'll be blocking the aisles in the store too before long so I try to get in there and get done before she gets into the store.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

" it puts a lot of metal between me and the drunks. "

Maybe, but what may be more valuable would be the safety features in newer cars. Air bags, crumple zones to absorb impacts, cross bracing in doors, soft interiors, more nimble maneuvering, safety mounting and collision protection for fuel tanks, better braking performance, and on and on, Not sure what may grab you most. You're fooling yourself to think that a 27 year old car (or any >10 year old car) is safer than a newer model of almost any brand that has the wide list of safety features older cars simply didn't have and for which you can be sure that all operating and safety equipment can be expected to work as intended.

Save    
DawnInCal

I was out running errands yesterday and noticed this example of parking rudeness which made me think of this thread. I found it interesting that the person with the normal size car intentionally and rudely took up two spaces while the SUV was politely parked in it's space and not causing any problems. My intent was to park between the two vehicles until I saw how thoughtless and rude the person driving the red car had been.

It also didn't escape my notice that the red car was taking up two spots at the front entrance of the store rather than in the back forty. *sigh*

1 Like Save    
Alisande

Are you sure that was intentional, Dawn? I've seen elderly people perform some astonishingly bad parking maneuvers. Then they get out of their cars, oblivious to what they've done.

You're fooling yourself to think that a 27 year old car (or any >10 year old car) is safer than a newer model . . .

Elmer, I never said my Caprice was safer than a newer model, although I admit I don't feel any less secure in it than I do in my Subaru. The Caprice has an air bag, BTW. But you really should make an effort to stop telling people they're fooling themselves. It's arrogant, and it's rude.

3 Likes Save    
Elizabeth

I am headed to the grocery store right now. They have senior parking near the door. It is bitter cold and snowing. I'm taking it!

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Fair enough, alisande, sorry. But to say "it puts a lot of metal between me and the drunks" most certainly implies a notion of more safety. Which my comment was intended to challenge.

Let's try this - older cars, no matter what the size, are less safe to be in because they lack so many of the safety features that are built in to newer cars. These standard safety features have been developed over years of engineering analyses of the dangers and damage of car collisions and provide better protection for passengers.

Save    
Alisande

Better.

1 Like Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

someone in a giant SUV or pick em up truck (as my kids call them) parks in two spots instead of one

You're lucky. They take up four spaces here. What's up with that? Other than complete selfishness. Ugh.

1 Like Save    
functionthenlook

This is one of two Walmarts I go to. Every other isle has a walkway the whole length of the lot. No problems parking larger vehicles.

Save    
Elizabeth

I envy you that sidewalk.

Funny thing. I went to W-M today and, in Michigan, the parking lot is snow covered but well plowed. You therefore cannot see any painted lines. I went all the way down to end of a row and parked in a nice wide spot, parallel to the other cars, with plenty of room to open the doors and liftgate. I did a good job. I shopped for hours and hours. By the time I got back to my car, all the other cars had changed and were on a different angle. I was parked too far in with the back end over too far to the right...as if I were taking up two spaces! A woman getting into her car next to me looked at me strangely and I opened my window and apologized. I told her it was fine when I parked it! She laughed and said it happens all the time. The rows of cars shift because there are no lines. I immediately thought of this thread!

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

I'm not sure what difference the walkway between the parking aisles (not "isles") would make. It's the width of the spaces that matters most.

Save    
functionthenlook

Elizabeth, it's fun to guess where and how to park when it snows. Not only you can't see the lines , but you can't see the curbs. The walkways are great. Seniors, and families can walk to the store without worry of backing up cars and idiots speeding.

Save    
DawnInCal

Alisande, no I'm not sure why the car was parked that way or whether or not the driver was a senior citizen. I've seen some pretty sloppy parking jobs that did not seem intentional (like a car over the line or not pulled far enough in), but the way this one is parked looked intentional to me. The car was pristine with a really nice paint job and interior which makes me think the owner/driver's intent was to protect it and that he/she didn't care if they were inconveniencing others or not. But, I could be totally wrong in that assessment.

1 Like Save    
Elizabeth

I would prefer a nice sidewalk between aisles. I think it would be safer especially for folks with small children.

Save    
nickel_kg

Elmer, I think the relation between the aisle walkways and parking space size relates to land availability. Where land is cheap and abundant, parking lots can afford to be generously sized, including the driving lanes and individual parking spaces. Where land is expensive, parking lots need to squeeze in as many spaces as possible. So seeing a walkway is a clue -- but not a guarantee, of course -- that the rest of the parking lot will be nicely sized. That's how I took it.

Elizabeth, I agree walkways are nice. But I think the safest thing for small children is to have an attentive adult with them, teaching them how to walk safely, no matter where they walk.

2 Likes Save    
Rose Pekelnicky

The walkways would be good in areas where it doesn't snow. In a cold snowy climate the walkways would require snow removal

Save    
functionthenlook

The walk way is in a snowy area, but not constant snow. They use a small snow plow or snow blowers on sidewalks. Most businesses hire snow removal companies.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Yes nickel, I had the same thought. The apparently wide spots, broad aisles and the walkway made me think it was in an area with plenty of available space and low land costs. Which was why I suspected some of the earlier comments questioning the problem with big cars and narrow spots may have been from people who hadn't experienced the problems in their local areas that many of us have had. Or who didn't care.

Save    
Alisande

Dawn, good point about the pristine car. With behavior like that, they're lucky their well-tended car doesn't get keyed.

Save    
Elizabeth

I have seen folks deliberately parking closely to a car parked over two spaces. Just to send a message. ( No. It wasn't me. But I did laugh. )

Save    
Kathsgrdn

I love my old Nissan Altima, but there is one thing it does poorly, sharp turns. It's hard to park it into narrow spaces when there are cars on either side of the space I want. A lot of times I will back up and adjust it, sometimes more than once so I'm not too far over one side or the other. A lot of times I will just move on to an easier spot that I can turn into.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular Everything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
Life You Said It: ‘Just Because I’m Tiny Doesn’t Mean I Don’t Go Big’
Changing things up with space, color and paint dominated the design conversations this week
Full Story
Decorating Guides 12 Design Tips From This Week That You’ve Got to Try
We look back at our latest stories to help you look ahead to your next design project
Full Story