What's for Dinner #374

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Not dinner yet but it is pretty.

SaveComment101Like4
Comments (101)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neely

Looking wonderful already. I’m excited for you all to have this occasion to celebrate with food.

Save    

Wasn't sure how it would post. (photo issues). It is the one time of year we get massive fall harvest veg locally or west coast, southern states, etc. I still have a bowl of cherry tomatoes and squashes in the garage...no real cold temps yet. Well, lots of frosts, but around 60 last night on my way home close to midnight. Collards, kale, escarole and a few others still in fridge. Gave everything a good wash to start planning.

New this season is purple brussel sprouts. Good guess is they taste the same.

We postponed our thanksgiving to tomorrow. Way to busy with work to pull it off today. Much better to have a day off to enjoy the prep/cooking.

Made a quick egg frittata for breakfast...

Save    

I just made 3 cranberry sauces. Mama Sandberg, Korean, and bourbon. Just can't make one. All are great.

Save    
annie1992

Oh, sleevendog, that first picture is just beautiful, and makes me miss my garden already. It has been cold here, it was snowing again today, even the kale is done. I still have rosemary, sage and curry growing right next to the house, though, and they still seem happy, so I have some fresh green things still hanging on.

I made cranberry sauce today too, but only two kinds. One was cranberry/raspberry, my Mother's favorite and the other was LindaC's Cranberry Jezebel, with horseradish, it's amazing with turkey. Cranberries were on sale for $1 per 12 ounce bag, so I bought half a dozen bags and froze them for later.

Meanwhile, it was Thanksgiving but our big meal won't be until Saturday. Elery bought shrimp and we had shrimp cocktail, we both love it. My neighbor across the street is Polish, she's the chef at the Bed and Breakfast, and she gave me some locally made Baltic Farmer's Cheese. We often talk food and swap recipes, so she told me to make Lazy Pierogi, and told me how. Onions, mushrooms, a tablespoon of butter, saute all that, stir in a quart of sauerkraut, heat through, add cooked noodles, crumble the cheese on top. So, I did that, and it wasn't pretty, but it was a nice change, I haven't made pasta or noodles in way over a year. Elery had two helpings, LOL.

Then I made this caramel nut tart for dessert:

We each had a small piece, so not a total diet disaster, but there's still Saturday, LOL.

Annie

Save    

Ah darn, should have pic'd the stuffing/dressing fiasco. Do we make something in the USA that is unfamiliar to those elsewhere. ( ? ). We only make stuffing/dressing once a year. (half went into a freezer bag is for xmas) not making that again ! and not anytime all year...Not really complicated but not on the usual food plan. We like gravy fine but just once/twice a year...

(I froze a 1/4 pint for NewYears) and may toss it eventually like most years.

Our American Thanksgiving is always on a Thursday. 4 days off work is rare. (obviously some need to work the holiday shift) but fore the most of us it is a family event.

Turkey goes in the oven at one.

Made a NYTimes recipe for lemony brussel sprout slaw. Added a rib of the purple cabbage, (look at that color reveal inside !)

Save    

Pie looks amazing. Just saw that. Making chocolate bourbon pecan soon and baking the stuffing/dressing...

Save    
Jasdip

Annie, that pie looks out of this world!!!

Great eating, as always, Sleeve.

I've often wondered if most, if not all people take the Friday off as well. It seems that all I hear is Thanksgiving being a long weekend.

Save    

We always have the 4 day weekend as most co-workers travel being from everywhere. Most on flights wed night or Thursday morning.

Really nice meal. Perfect gravy and biscuits DH made...cragly but flaky. Gorgeous 10lb bird. Dressing/stuffing always the star.

Save    

New pecan pie recipe. (need to find and save/print). Maple syrup /brown sugar warmed, separate roux, flour/butter, then added to the maple. Let cool down then add two eggs. No need for karo.

Save    

Turkey hash breakfast, turkey slider brunch. Turkey stock with meat and white beans for the freezer. Enough turkey scent in the home.

Mom would have soup tonight but we will pass and freeze it.

Save    
Jasdip

I roasted a chicken last weekend, just because of all the TG posts and I got the urge. I used the leftovers in quesadillas, chicken salad ( I put curry in it, so good!). I made chicken salad twice, the first time was in a pita, the next was to have with crackers and cheese. I wish I made a turkey as I enjoyed the leftovers so much, and they're gone.

Tonite was a new recipe. Glazed chicken breasts (soy sauce, honey and yellow mustard) I was expecting dijon, but it called for yellow so that's what I used; a Cook's Country recipe.

The rice is a mix of basmati and orange lentils. I used half lentils and half pearl barley. It's quite good. Sauteed onions and garlic, rice and lentils, with cumin, turmeric and ground coriander.

Save    
annie1992

Thanks, sleevendog, the pie was really good and yours looks perfect, I don't like that "goopy" layer in some pecan pies. I like the red cabbage, it's beautiful. I used red cabbage in the salad we had today too, but I didn't take pictures.

Jasdip, most people do take Friday off as well as Thursday, it's "Black Friday" for shopping. I don't do that particular thing, but a lot of people do, plus it gives extra travel time for family members that are trying to get home for the holiday.

We had an ice storm last night so Elery's daughter and son in law are still here until tomorrow morning, they got iced in. it's beautiful, but hopefully the plows will go tomorrow so they can get back home.

I had enough of the turkey/dressing thing, and made some enchiladas from sirloin steak and black beans. I served them with Mexican style brown rice and a cabbage salad.

Annie

Save    
Jasdip

Annie we had an freezing rain today as well. The hydro was out in some areas of town. Finally, some snow. I hate a green December.

Save    

Our first storm today....looks tame but all ice. Snow, sleet. snow..

My 'FU storm' steak salad..

Save    
neely

Oh wow that steak Sleevendog looks delicious.. amazing ice storm Annie.

Savoury mince with mashed potato one night.

Veal Saltimbocca another night. AnnT would not approve of all those carrots. (smile)

Save    
Jasdip

Your potatoes and carrots look fabulous, Neely! Shhh we won't tell AnnT.

I just took a quiche out of the oven. I cooked a ham earlier. I gave some ham to the neighbour, had some as leftovers with mustard, potatoes and carrots. Now it's quiche and there's a chunk in the freezer for toasted westerns, quiche, etc.

1 Like Save    

Stunning pic of the savoury mince. Vintage crock. Bubly seltzer...

We will have a ham soon. Mostly seafood over the holiday break but ham for egg dishes...and quiche. I always make soup and small packets 'food saver' for egg dishes. Looks good!.

Only made one small pie last weekend so have crusts made-ahead in the freezer.

City storm pic from work, then home late. Roads are clear. Trees are falling over low from heavy wet snow.

DH had one eye treated, then stopped for some mixed cheeses, olives, pate...simple meal.

My studio sitting garden outside

should be fine.

My Meyer lemon is blooming in the kitchen. Heavenly scent. Two fruits. Lots of bloom.

Save    

New ingredient explained. Those crazy red threads on my foods. : )

I did all the holiday Thanksgiving shopping late one night. (I work horrid long hours)...fine I did it. He stopped at HMart and picked up some ingredients for our obsessive fermentations...

Came home with red pepper threads. Really good and chewy but not so hot, sweet-ish.

You will see it on everything especially salads.

Save    
annie1992

sleevendog, I was wondering about those red threads, they looked much like saffron, but I knew that couldn't be it. I'd love to have a Meyer lemon tree, but I haven't figured that out yet. The steak looks perfect, yum.

Here there is still a lot of heavy snow and trees are still coming down, but it's lovely. Unless, of course, it's your road that's blocked, LOL.

Jasdip, that quiche looks perfect, and I still have ham in the fridge from Saturday, I may have to do that next.

Neely, that mince looks especially good, as well as the potatoes. I also like carrots, LOL, so it would be fine by me.

Elery's daughter left yesterday and we had leftovers for supper last night, so tonight I made chili. It was a nice change. I'm kind of thinking of split pea soup with some of the leftover ham.

Annie

Save    
neely

Jasdip, nice quiche, must make one and Yes put a slice or two in the freezer. DH won’t eat frozen quiche but I will.

Like Annie, I thought saffron ??? can’t be and it wasn’t. How amazing would those threads be if with a little heat.

A combined meal where DS cooked the salmon, I cooked the veg and DDIL made the salad of mixed grains. All put together it was good.

Save    

They do have heat. It is a medium hot pepper, yet a pile of thin threads is maybe 1/8th of a pepper....would stand up in a soup, then slowly meld/melt into soup/liquid as a spice. With heat. The pinch I tasted was a bit chewy, not brittle dry.

Nice collaboration meal. I'v already started my mixed grain salad and most likely salmon tonight. Crisper drawer full of mixed veggies....I had my fill of fries being out of town all week.

Home late with a grocery bag full of TraderJoes including one of their holiday small hams. (DH excited but not for tonight). I want seafood.

Save    

Sesame/Miso crusted Salmon. Over mixed grain and greens. Fetta chunk. Perfect and just what I needed. Grain choice is black caviar lentils, quinoa, brown rice and winter wheat. Some grain leftover for tonights miso soup.

Save    

My Meyer lemon is in intoxicating full bloom. (Not sick sweet like paper white narcissus.)

I would not be jealous Annie, as the stress of killing it the first couple years was overwhelming but I came to terns expecting eminent death, lol. Stopped the worry and pruned for compact shape, dwarf. Accepted any trouble. (killed two fig trees)

If you have winter sun 2-3 hours a day it will survive the winter. Lives outside all summer on the deck. (one winter it was downstairs in the seed project room with just fluorescents). This is its best year so far. Only two winter fruits.

Save    
annie1992

Sleevendog, I've killed two figs too, and I'm convinced that I'd do a Meyer Lemon in in short order. I can grow nearly anything outside, but inside nothing has survived other than my aloe plant. (sigh)

It must be a fish kind of day! Neely, your DDIL's salad looks good, nice and fresh. Sleevendog, Elery would LOVE your hot pepper threads, I'll have to remember that for next year.

Here the weather is weird, as usual. It'll be 44 and rain tomorrow, and then it's a high of 25 on Wednesday. I did make the split pea soup, and we had hamburgers with it for supper:

We didn't have any for supper, but Elery made some venison sausage for the holiday meals, he likes to slice it up and put it out with crackers for snacking:

And I made a birthday cake for Madison's birthday. Chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and chocolate filling, then covered with more chocolate, LOL. I couldn't figure out how to get any more sugar in there!

Annie

Save    

lol, love the cake. Would be my dream cake at that age.

Big plans for sausage making over the up-coming holiday break. And lasagna, and tamales, and something for the neighbors and friends besides pokey...maybe the chocolate/nut/dried fruit salami I made a few years ago...an ann_t inspired desert.

So that is a cured sausage? Smoked? Slice and serve...? I need to study that one.

Not purchased a new smoker yet. Takes me forever to research and decide. (go low end and modify or go better then weigh the cost, bla bla). I need it by x-mas, ack.! Leaning towards better/best but no pellets.

Head-Storm soup. We are not sick, just work weary exhausted. With damp cold rain and still snow on the ground...immune systems are weak. A hot mess but delicious. Another tonight with lamb sausage from the freezer.

Save    
Jasdip

It's raining all day today so the snow is gone. I hate this weather in December! I was in Barrie at Tom's brother and SIL on Saturday and they have over a foot of snow. I love it.

This is what happens when I have no idea what I want for dinner. I'm completely at a loss. Sausage, peppers and onions with pasta on the side

Save    
annie1992

Jasdip, it rained all day here too, and it's 45, but tomorrow it'll be 25 and by Wednesday down to zero. The weather doesn't know what to do, I guess. Your dinner looks really good to me, though.

Sleevendog, the sausage is smoked, and that's the high-temperature cheese you see in there, it doesn't melt but stays in chunks. I agree on buying a better smoker, BTW. Elery had an electric one and it eventually quit. I bought him another one and it takes those "pucks", and I can't buy them here, they are expensive and when we're out we have to wait for them to be delivered. It's inconvenient. Elery would really like to turn the front room of the pole barn into a smoke house, I'd go a bit smaller than that, LOL.

Yes, that cake is a child's dream, isn't it? (grin) Your soup sure looks a lot healthier, though, and those pepper "shreds" just look so pretty.

Here I had a baked chicken leg and roasted butternut squash, not worth taking a picture. I have Ashley's dog, Sage, for the next three days while they go out of town, and she's settling in. The cat is very annoyed that Sage has HIS chair, LOL.

Annie

Save    
neely

All yummy meals above. Love that cake Annie. I would be very happy with your meal Jasdip. Love all those meals Sleevendog.

Good old Spaghetti Bol with grated cheddar cheese ‘cause... no Parmesan

Save    

Must be thinking similar Neely. I've not had a pasta 'jones' in months...DH texted he was stopping at the Italian market for ofal and bones for broth. "get some pasta noodles..wide or anything!"

So good. Micro basil.

I wanted the inch wide noodles they have but still good...

Save    

A few quickies using the bone broth. Ladle off a cup or two.

Last nights veg noodle bowl with dumplings. Thai basil treat found at HMart.

Save    

Steak/roasted veg. Corona bean/pesto salad (one of the only cuts of meat we like rare). A house/home favorite. Called NY strip here/prime.

Ha, that looks more than rare but was not like the pic...

Save    
neely

Wow looks delicious S.

And now for something different.

Bought pickled herring with a salad. Not to everyone’s liking even in this house but I enjoyed it.

Save    

Taco night. Struggling for freezer/fridge drawers ideas...

perfect. For us anywho.

Peppered seared steak, avocado. pickled red onion. Fresh Thai basil .

pe

Save    
annie1992

Neely, the spaghetti looks really good. Somehow I don't make it unless the littlest grandkids are here, and they just LOVE spaghetti!

Sleevendog, that beef looks perfectly done to me, LOL, and the tacos have made me hungry for some, maybe tomorrow.....

Here nothing was worth taking a picture of. Elery made a meatloaf stuffed with kale, and it was good but definitely not pretty. Before that it was beans and before that I don't even remember, so it must not have been all that impressive, LOL. Oh, we did have baked pork chops one night with roasted butternut squash, but I forgot to take a picture of that, of course.

Annie

Save    

So true many good meals are not that pretty.

So many I just don't bother taking a photo.

I'm sending the taco trays to my SIL. Last time she visited, (she is in NYC about every two months for work), we had taco night knowing she likes all the ingredients but prefers the sides to make a salad. With all those micro greens.

All the bowls and guacamole, and the prep...she hates it. Her families favorite meal. Makes a mess. Never really a 'quick' meal unless prepped ahead or purchased salsa and guac... Re-heat frozen cooked spiced chicken, pork, steak. From fresh it can be quite the process.

Last night DH really wanted tacos. Cast iron pan toasted the corn tortillas, then seared the steak marinated in my chili oil. Same cast iron. Corona beans from the fridge into the tortilla taco holders topped with the beef...into a warm oven. (got sidetracked)...then topped with kimchi, salsa, guac, feta straight from their fridge containers. Serve. Not multiple bowls and no fuss. Build your own is for parties or more than just the two of us.

I made the meal a bit prettier since I'll send her this pic just incase she does not get it for x-mas and she will know I did not spend much $...) They are so heavy duty they seem expensive.

...she can prep straight from the fridge containers and make her own personal salad at the same time. She does not care for corn or flour tortillas. She uses canned refried-beans and jarred salsa...thats fine. The short time in the oven will heat the beans and keep the protein warm.

I do think she might make the quick pickled red onions. She is growing micro greens after giving her a lesson and a starter kit.

Save    

oh, well this is a surprise. pasta. So good and even looks good.

Save    

Soup, simple, so good, so cold outside.

Pickled veg adds a fresh crunch. and

baby bok choy.;;.;

Save    

Thursday night was a sleep walk. Salmon over potata/golden beet, side salad. An easy ye'olde standby.

last night, popcorn, lol.

We snacked on good cheese, prosciutto, fruit, kitchen plate standing.

Too busy making my condiments for the holiday week.

Still a couple more to go...bacon jam (Martha) and more mustard seed soaking for a horseradish wasabi variety. I've never made bacon jam but seems like a good addition to charcuterie. We get very snacky during the holidays. Grazing. Odd that we often do not have many sit down meals like ALL year. Christmas Eve, Day, NewYears Eve, Day....maybe omelets, dutch baby. Time is fun spent prepping for the fishes and the big few/couple sit-downs. Gets unpredictable social with un-annouced stop-by visits. Charcuterie, cheese plates, pate, prepped ahead, nuts, fresh pickles, chocolates...nibble meals. LOVE simple egg dishes. DH finally off work with me, together, eggs will be many quick meals.

Save    
neely

Thanks S, I think you just wrote my shopping list for tomorrow. I have ham and turkey, veg, etc. already but need those things that make it Christmas. Love drop in people.

Save    
annie1992

Sleevendog, I like to graze, better than I like big meals. You reminded me that I have to make some more of that pickled mustard seed too, I like it with a lot of things, but Elery particularly loves it.

Here we've been eating, we had pork tenderloin one night with roasted butternut squash and brussels sprouts:

Another night we had bean soup and cornbread:

Elery grilled a shirt steak rolled with feta and spinach with a mix or corn and peas on the side:

I roasted a chicken and we had that with kale and more butternut squash:

I made a big pan of cinnamon rolls for my neighbors, and a batch of the cheese thumbprints with habanero gold for the ladies across the street that have the B&B. One of them is a chef, so it's hard to bake for them, LOL.

Tomorrow I have a dentist's appointment to get a crown replaced, so it'll probably be soup or oatmeal!

Annie

Save    
Jasdip

Wow Sleeve, I love the look of your mustards!!!

Annie, great cooking going on. I love pork tenderloin.

I've got some time off work this week and cleaning out my freezer is a priority. Not necessarily defrosting it, just rooting in it to see what the heck I've got, that it's full all the time.

But of course, I was planning to make a beef roast for Christmas and lo and behold our grocery store had Prime Rib $4.59 lb. Well!!! How could I not! A savings of $7/lb.

Friday I made a home-made pizza and the smoke detector went off like crazy. No smoke anywhere but geez. It doesn't do that at 450° but it certainly did at 500. Since I've got 2 variations of cooking the pm that I want to do, both using high heat, cleaning the oven first is also a priority. I've got a couple of appt's this week....x-rays/ultrasounds etc but I have to do the oven.

What does all that have to do with my dinner that I made last night?? Absolutely NOTHING!

I cooked up some drumsticks from the freezer. Believe me, they were a lot browner than the picture shows. It must be my lighting, I don't know, but they were crispy.

Boiled potatoes and fancy veg. I'm going to fry up some of the potatoes and plop an egg on them for breakfast this week.

Save    
neely

Merry Christmas to everyone especially those on this WFD.

Only the two of us today more tomorrow. We had the usual Christmas dinner that I make. Turkey, cold ham, roast potatoes. Roast pumpkin, stuffing, red peas, cranberry sauce and today I made Bacon Jam only I cooked it for perhaps three minutes too long and now it’s called Bacon Toffee

Christmas dinner /lunch table

Plate fully loaded with gravy and in the middle Bacon Toffee Hah!

1 Like Save    

Bacon toffee, haha...

I pulled out the crock pot from the garage 'headed-to-the-thrift-shelf'. May hang onto it for caramelized onions and bacon jam. My stovetop was full so it was handy. No other use for it.

Gorgeous table setting and plate of holiday food!

Last week I did a mini freezer and crisper drawer cleaning and used up some misc. Always something easy, quick and comforting while planning the holiday meals.

(i need to clean my oven)

Save    

Shrimp-n-Grits, NewOrleans style.

1 Like Save    

So Elery is going to make kombucha. ! That's exciting. He probably has to order the 'starter' mother.? (scoby). or did it come with the ordered kit?

Anywho, the first couple runs can be tricky. The 'mother' and the few first batches need to get used to your environment. This was years ago but clearly remember mine looking funky but I stuck with it. I remember dumping my first batch but cleaned up the 'mother' a bit and started again with both 'mothers' in the same jar. Now it is just a walk in the park. Been giving away all my extras. I've got two half gallons going now since it does slow down in the cooler months.

That was the best kimchi batch yet...(above with the grits). Not too spicy, upped the ginger and garlic. We have three different Korean chili flake varieties to try that I'm keeping track of. Some are way too spicy for me. Had planned a side-by-side but way too much work. 4 quarts will last a while. Meant to pic the steps but forgot. Should write this one down. I did mince the onion, garlic, ginger and tumeric in the cuisinart and added that to the 'porridge'.

That is second fermentation kombucha in the two capped milk jugs.

Save    
neely

Beautiful meals S and the kimchi looks spicey.

Made a fake (what a loaded word that turned out to be) Buche de Noel.

Covered with cream not chocolate icing but managed to get my miniature Spanish ceramic nativity figures in there.

Similar to what many have mentioned on other threads, ours too was a relaxed few meals... more than other years.

Save    
annie1992

Jasdip, we must just think alike. I also took some chicken legs out of the freezer and "fried" them in the new Air Fryer. They turned out pretty well, nicely crispy, although I'd never mistake them for fried!

We are having our big Christmas meal/party tomorrow, so on Christmas Elery and I had hamburgers!

On the day after Christmas, after talking to a Jewish friend (dishesdone), I decided to do a brisket and latkes. I cooked the latkes in the Air Fryer. Ummmm......don't.

I decided to copy a local restaurant and made chocolate peanut butter quinoa for breakfast, topped it with berries, coconut, walnuts and bananas. I'd leave off the berries next time, it wasn't a good mix of textures for me, although the peanut butter made the quinoa less like having a mouthful of gravel, so that was good. Even the banana in there wasn't egregious, but the berries did not add anything to the party at all.

Sleevendog, when Elery went to Ohio to meet with his sister back in November, he and his son went to a place in Ohio called Jungle Jim's, it's a crazy specialty food store with pretty much everything. They had a kombucha bar and he got ghost pepper kombucha and loved it. Since any kombucha I've ever tried was like drinking a big ol' glass of vinegar, I've never tried to make it. The kit comes with a SCOBY, and I figure he can make any flavor he wants, even ghost pepper, LOL.

I'm going to have to pick up some Napa so he can make some more kimchi too. I bought some pepper flakes that I bought at an Asian grocery here, the nice young gentleman at the store said they were "too hot", so Elery will probably love them!

As for the crockpot, I use mine to caramelize onions and it works well, saves me a lot of stirring and lets me do other things. Some people have complained that the onions don't brown well, but mine were good enough for me.

Neely, the "fake" Buche de Noel looks delicious to me, as does the Christmas dinner, in spite of the "bacon toffee". I was going to make a Yule log for our Christmas party tomorrow but got "requests" that included apple pie, cherry crunch pie and cheesecake. Along with the cookies and fudge, that should be enough dessert for now. I think I'll try one later, I found a recipe for a "flourless" chocolate cake roll from Mary Berry, and my celiac daughter could have that one, so I put the recipe away for future use. The roses are lovely too.

Here I'm cooking for tomorrow's party. I used AnnT's high heat method to roast a 6 pound tenderloin and I have a 13 pound ham thawed and ready to bake and glaze tomorrow. I made homemade rolls using Grandma's recipe, took cookie dough from the freezer and baked sugar cookies, molasses cookies and chocolate chip cookies, and made a batch of flourless peanut butter cookies. Then I baked an apple pie, a cherry crunch pie and a cheesecake, made twice baked potatoes the traditional way with russet potatoes and cheddar and some twice baked sweet potatoes with leeks and Italian sausage, topped with Gruyere. Tomorrow I'll do the vegetables, the cheeseball, devilled eggs, all the last minute stuff. Oh, I did make the cranberry apple relish too, it's in the fridge waiting for tomorrow.

So, what's for dinner? Leftover brisket from last night, all my oven and stove space was claimed and so we "made do". Snacked on some Chex Mix too....

Annie

1 Like Save    
neely

Oh my goodness Annie that’s a lot of preparation but so good to get the jump on the next day. And you found time to write here. All sounds amazing. Have a great day.

Save    
annie1992

Neely, I even managed to take some pictures!

Tenderloin, just off the slicer:

Cookies and fudge:

Apple pie:

I had to make Mother's favorite coffee for her to drink with her pie, a white chocolate and raspberry "latte" with lots of whipped cream:

Elery's homemade venison sausage with cheese:

So we had four dogs, two cats, 4 kids, one drone buzzing around the house, Ashley was playing pranks on my Mother, which earned her a "spanking", it was happy chaos, as our family parties tend to be.

Next up is brunch with Elery's family, they will be here January 2, which is also Elery's birthday, so that will be fun. 12 of us if Mother is still here at my house, and 5 kids under the age of 14....

Annie

Save    
Jasdip

Happy New Year's Eve!!!

I'm having Pasta Puttanesca with feta, and the obligatory glass of wine.

Save    

Beautiful!. We are having spaghetti squash puttanesca for NewYears!

But I would rather have Annie's tenderloin YUM!

Save    

Having pic up-load issues and not much time. Making a big roasted NewYearsEve bone stock for our annual January NewYear month of exploring all soups for all over the globe. All healthy new recipes to try.

But , yum , I'm making scrapple, lol. The rest of the stock I'll use later and freeze.

Save    
annie1992

Some issues here with the internet, it's slow and taking forever to upload pictures. So, we had leftover creamed corn and mashed squash, along with some air fryer chicken thighs for supper.

Tomorrow it'll be black eyed peas and greens and cornbread. Mother won't eat any of those things, so I might also start a crockpot full of split pea soup, because I like that too.

Like sleevendog, I have scraps and soup bones, so I'll be making soup soon, I'd like some beef barley, I think.

Annie

Save    

Big day but fun. Cooking insane...three dishwasher loads...Brisket in the oven, slow roast. DH did good kitchen counter, cutting board cleaning. Floors tomorrow, lol.

Peas ,(meaty ham bone), brisket, (slow roast), Veg and cabbage later in the pot.

Made legendary scrapple, lol. Love it. Not for many but I made a healthy recipe..Bone broth , Fun NewYearsDay. Good healthy food.

Save    
neely

New Years best wishes to everyone.

We’ve been having very simple meals. Plan to eat less meat this year. Also plan to eat less of everything this year Hah! I wonder how long that will last!

Simple dinner of small piece of steak, mushrooms and salad... blue cheese for oomph.

By the way, we are not near the devastating fires in our country. Feel very sad for those affected by them.

Save    

All over the news here. Yes, very sad.

You are having some warm and windy temps. Was it really near 80º today. ? Cool nights down to 55º.

Gorgeous veg. We cut way back last year in quantity and less meat. And a chunk of feta, goat, or blue really helps, : )....way more hearty salads. Last January was soup and veg bowls that stretched into March. Our fridge is stuffed from the holidays. We over-shopped.

An abundance of seafood dishes but had a brisket meal yesterday that was excellent.

oink. Too much food.

Save    
Jasdip

NEELY, thanks for posting about the forest fires and your location. I've been wondering if you were affected!!! It's such a tragedy!

SLEEVE, I like your brisket.....I'm always tempted to buy some then I never do. Yours looks great.

I'm still battling bronchitis.....been 10 days so far, and I'm still coughing so much I get a headache. :-( I have meds but I'm almost out of them, and I can't see that they've done much at all.

I had intended to make a stew yesterday for New Year's, but after going with a g/f and taking Gino to the dog park I was exhausted.

I made the stew today, and it's delicious. I have some for the freezer. I put red wine and beef broth in the stew so I have a glass of red with my meal.

Save    

jasdip, such an unusual winter forest tree line, (with pup). : ) Pretty, as long as it is not destructive power outage, ice storm..

Pup adorable.

Stew perfect.

We need to get the big meats out of the rotation.

Pastrami sandwiches tonight. Planned leftovers but huge.

Veg pastrami pot pies already prepped for tomorrow...and might be the end of creative 'seconds'. (nice to have a meal prepped) but I'm done with heavy holiday starch/meat. liar, not really. lots of veg, minor fats. Easy meals from holiday remnants.

Save    
annie1992

Neely, I read today that half a BILLION animals have been killed in those fires and 18 people, maybe more. The cost to people and property is staggering. I'm glad you are far away from them.

Jasdip, Gino is adorable, such a sweet little face. That row of trees reminds me of the National Forest here, a lot of it was planted by FDR's "tree army", the CCC, during the depression, to replace forests that had been laid bare by the big logging companies. Nice neat rows of trees, marching along in line.

Your stew looks perfect and I hope you feel better soon. Sometimes it just seems to hang on. Get some rest and be careful it doesn't get worse.

Sleevendog, pastrami sounds good, I ought to get Elery to make some! We'll also go back to eating more vegetables and less meat, much healthier, now all our family Christmas parties are over.

Today was Elery's family "Christmas", as well as Elery's birthday. The boys arrived for "brunch" and we had the second tenderloin, glazed ham, scrambled eggs, pizza "rolls", twice baked potatoes, macaroni and cheese, fresh fruit, a caramel nut tart, cheesecake, cookies and fudge. Oh, and ice cream. My table looked like this!

Because there were five kids with 12 of us, I made pizza "rolls", pizza dough rolled up like cinnamon rolls with pizza sauce and cheese, then sliced and baked. They were soft and nice, but we had too much other food, so not many were eaten.

His oldest granddaughter had her wisdom teeth removed two days ago and so was still swollen and sore, so she ate macaroni and cheese, the middle out of the potatoes, some ice cream and a piece of cheesecake, so she didn't starve. The youngest is 20 months and so she ate cookies and yogurt. The five year old just wanted to open presents and so mostly nagged us about how slowly we were eating, LOL. The other two just ate, the only boy is 12 and he's far taller than me, so he eats a LOT. The final granddaughter is 10, but she's small, so leaves lots for her brother! And with the desserts, all the kids wanted was ice cream, go figure.

The pizza rolls came out nicely:

The adults liked the caramel nut tart, I made one at Thanksgiving but cooked the caramel just a bit less this time and it was better, although I broke the crust when I was cooling it before filling and had to patch it. No one noticed, so it was all good, although it did leak a bit out of the removable bottom of the tart pan:

And now, onward and upward, into the New Year. I'm having a tooth pulled tomorrow, that ought to give me a jump start on eating less meat, although I'm not sure I would have necessarily chosen that particular diet aid!

Happy and Healthy New Year's wishes to everyone.

Annie

1 Like Save    

Oh no, dentist stuff. I need eye attention. When the crazy frenchman was here fixing our cable I smashed into a door jam and my favorite glasses shattered. Wearing a back-up pair now.

Annie, you have such a good space for gatherings right off your kitchen. BIG table.

Children need options and some of that freezes and keeps fine in the fridge re-heat as you know, duh.

Quick snacks fast. You will be pleased to have those in the freezer.

We have an an abundance of veg, half this and that, one beet, one parsnip, fennel bulb and a half I zipped mandolin last night...made another fresh slaw. Some veg will last all month.

Holiday meats are slowing down ...pot pie tonight and all prepared meats will be out of the meal system/cycle soon.

(we found a package of cold smoked cheeses in the freezer....wow, on popcorn)...At least a year old and no texture change at all...(pretty shocking).

Save    

My eyes are off but someone here complains my pics are blurry. (and they have never posted a pic). Cross posting I need to not participate.

The last of my holiday 2-3 day rule...DH might snack tomorrow.

Nice crusty pot pies. I had half. Might be breakfast with warm temps and some yard work to do. No plans tomorrow...just snacking.

All fresh veg and soups starting this week. Using up the holiday meat/potatoes.Near done with another box of veg on the way.

Save    
annie1992

Sleevendog, that "half wall" used to be a full wall, we knocked it out when we moved in, kept the half because we needed wall space for cabinets. It does work out well, though, I can seat 12 comfortable and the pellet stove is also in that room, so when we're not having lots of people the space is just right for puzzles, crafts, painting, whatever.

That tooth was the furthest back top molar. I have "a small facial structure" and it was nearly impossible to get a brush back there. I have a water pic too, but that tooth had a crown, a root canal, various fillings and repairs, a replacement crown. I finally told the dentist that I was all done throwing thousands of dollars into a back tooth that really did nothing (most of the chewing, according to studies, is done by the second furthest back molar and the tooth in front of that, according to my dentist). So, it was pulled, and I'm glad to be done with it.

No supper, I've got an ice pack and some Tylenol/ibuprofen mix for pain and inflammation and that will have to do. Maybe oatmeal in the morning.

That pot pie looks delicious to me. Like you, I try to avoid any cross posts, if it goes anywhere other than Cooking or Harvest, I don't participate.

Back to healthy meals, Elery got a Weight Watchers Instant Pot cookbook so I'm sure he's going to be experimenting tomorrow, although I've been pretty underwhelmed with any WW recipes I've tried.

Annie

Save    
Jasdip

I hope you feel better soon Annie. I agree about the back molar. It's a pain trying to brush it, and yes, I chew more on my side not at the very back of my mouth. I got a tooth pulled a few weeks ago and it's amazing how much it bothered me once the freezing was out.

Sleeve, I fail to see how anyone can think your pics are blurry. All your salads veggies, greens etc just pop with freshness and colour.

Tonite was a 'personal pan' baked pasta. Even though it's for me, there really is enough for 2!

1 Like Save    
annie1992

Jasdip, it may be enough for two, but it looks like just enough for me!

Tonight I made AnnT's salisbury steak with some mashed rutabaga, very good and easy on the mouth. I actually feel pretty good, although I simultaneously have a cold, so I was busily figuring out how much Tylenol was in the cold medicine so I could figure out how much pain meds I could have, the dentist just advised a mix of Tylenol and ibuprofen, and I didn't want to overdose on the Tylenol!

I had savory oatmeal for breakfast, just plain oatmeal with some salt and pepper and a tablespoon of parmesan cheese stirred in until it melted. It was pretty good.

I've been trying to make some freezer meals for Mother, so I also made a pot of butternut squash soup and extra salisbury steaks, I think I'm going to make some bread pudding tomorrow.

Annie

Save    
Sooz

It's past midnight here, and while I'd love to comment on all of the awesome photos here, I think I'll just make things simple and post a picture of our dinner last night. Veggies, Steak & Ale Pie from Trader Joe (TJ makes it better than I do, and easier for me, too!), and Marsala mushroom gravy.

Save    
neely

Looks totally delicious Sooz. As do everyone else’s dinners and food. I think that’s your gift dish Jasdip... looks good and yummy.

This dinner started out to be ratatouille,but then I found half a packet of frozen mince, a few potatoes, add olives and a sprinkle of fetta.. suddenly Mediterranean stew. Also added a pinch of cinnamon so was a little like moussaka as wel.

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Neely, you're close! I actually won that enameled cast iron dish a couple of years ago, from the same store!!! This year were the 2 casserole dishes by Emile Henry.

I just finished dinner. A new recipe featuring chicken breasts, baby spinach and orzo. A one-skillet meal. Pretty easy and tasty.

Save    

As alway the new year we go big on broth and veg. Needed a good bowl that we do not have ...a noodle bowl. Tested a cheap Ikea shape...can slurp the broth from the bowl at the finish..this works.

I've made veg bowls all week using up holiday produce.

DH had finished down to the slurp and all veg, bowl to face good broth.

Bone broth from the freezer, soaked seaweed salad, veg/beet tops, tomato, into the broth, Salmon miso roasted, Avocado/feta

Save    
lizbeth-gardener

Jasdip, that dish looks good; would you share recipe?

Save    
Jasdip

Lizbeth, are you referring to the chicken and orzo skillet?

Save    
lizbeth-gardener

Yes, Jasdip. It's looks tasty and sounds simple-love that combo!

Save    
Jasdip

It was really good, Lizbeth!!! A good way of using baby spinach too. She used chicken thighs, but I used 2 boneless breasts.

Here's the Linky

Save    

Crisper drawer still full from the holidays. Some quick meals. Pint of mixed beans/grains in bone broth from the freezer. Veg, a couple dumplings...

Lamb/kimchi tacos...

1 Like Save    
lizbeth-gardener

Thanks, Jasdip!

Save    
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

Am I the only one who is exhausted from all the Holiday cooking?

No more cooking for me!

You want to eat in my house? you cook your own food.

Hot pot dinner.

dcarch

1 Like Save    

Stuffed spagetti squash. Mini lamb meatballs, lots of veg in a kimchi sauce, cold smoked white Irish cheddar. Pickled red onion feta salad.

Excellent. I would serve this as a main course for a dinner party.

Save    

Dh made breakfast. He's a bit rusty with timing as the tortillas were not well toasted but delicious. (he agreed)

Save    
annie1992

Jasdip, your chicken looks really good, and easy. I'm filing that for one of my "I'm busy and need to cook something at the last minute" days!

dcarch, tired of cooking? Really? I do like hot pot meals, though, or snack type choices, so I can just have a bit of this and a bite of that, and get to eat whatever I want from the spread!

Sleevendog, I'm also trying to clean out the refrigerator, but not the produce drawers, alas. I did make some pasties for my mother, with beef/onion/rutabaga/potato and used a few last articles. I had some leftover chicken and shredded it, took a jar of green enchilada sauce out of the freezer and made AnnT's stacked enchiladas:

The same chicken was used another night to make chimachungas in the Air Fryer, with a side of beans:

Elery put a piece of sirloin in the Instant Pot, and basically boiled it, I'm not quite sure why but I didn't have to cook it so it was all good. We had that tonight, shredded and eaten with sauteed onions and garlic on low carb pita breads.

I made some whole wheat bread, we had an ice storm last night and while others go to the store for bread and milk, I just bake bread, LOL, so we had bread for toast.

sleevendog, I'd forgotten about breakfast tacos, although I like them for supper. I'm betting I could use up some leftovers that way!

Annie

Save    
Jasdip

Annie I went rooting around in the freezer this week for some rolls to have with home-made soup for dinner and I couldn't find any. I guess tomorrow might be a day to make rolls. We're having a lot of rainfall. What a lousy winter this is!! I detest it. Give me cold, cold and snow anyday.

I've had Ci_Lantro's recipe for homemade tortillas in my pile of to-try recipes and today I tried it! Easy and good!!!

I like how they puffed up in the skillet. I cut the recipe in half, so it made 4 tortillas.

I sauteed onions and peppers and chicken tenders to make fajitas.

1 Like Save    

That looks good. DH made a puffed simple bread to go with a Dal I made. No bread at all in the freezer that suited. (Some rye and my brown sprouted grain)

...freezer needs another search and clean-out.

I made the roasted eggplant 'nasa', artichoke and hearty salad.

(I need a steak or a burger)...or a winter BLTAvocado tomorrow...bacon!!!

Save    
Jasdip

Time for some meat, Sleeve! LOL

Save    
Jasdip

Hey, I made scalloped potatoes in the smaller of my new Christmas draw dishes!

Those, breaded pork chops and veggies.

Save    
annie1992

I agree, time for sleevendog to have some meat, LOL. All those healthy vegetables, it's just too much. (grin)

Jasdip, the potatoes look perfect and I like that little red dish, it looks the perfect size.

Here we had lentil stew and some of that bread, but it wasn't pretty enough to take a picture of. Lentils are actually a relatively ugly food....

Annie

Save    

Those potatoes look so good. I made Dal last week and it did not photo well at all.

Hallelujah, I found some ribs in the freezer while doing phase one of cleaning. Labeled 4 hour SV. Even better having a head start in the cooking process. Doesn't look like much meat but there is a pile under. Fell of the bones with slight tug.

(roasted extra potatoes for some breakfast hash)

Save    
Jasdip

Your roasted veggies look pretty tasty Sleeve. I also like the idea of having extra for hash.

I have no landline which I need for work, and the repair guy is coming late this afternoon between 3-6. So I got a head start on dinner.

Turkey from the freezer, bow-tie pasta and spinach with a cream and wine sauce.

I also made some buns this morning. I wanted some hamburger buns. As usual, they got ahead of me, in size. I'll have to not be so lazy and use the scale, but I don't know what weight they should be, anyway. :-)

Save    
neely

All above food looks amazing and love those rolls directly above... sometimes a smaller roll is just what you need.

We had pasta as well Jasdip, twisted pasta shape called casareccia on the packet also known as cavatelli which was imported from Sicily. For once I took a lot of care making the sauce even added anchovies and cooked for about 3 hours. I was happy with it as it reminded me of sauce I’d had in the past at an authentic Italian restaurant. This is going back many years and I knew the old lady who did the cooking. I also added a little fennel into the sauce and had ithe meal with a fennel and tomato salad.

Another dinner was crispy (burnt) skin salmon with a whole grain mustard sauce which turned out a gloopy beige... tasted OK though.

1 Like Save    

I get beige often. Should look into that, : )- . Still tastes good. Usually pasta once a month and looks good. Put that in the rotation soon!

I ordered salmon from Alaska last Spring/summer....about at the end of it. Good run . Sometimes twice a week.

Did my braised boneless skinless thighs last night, 17 of them as I do about three times a year, fall, winter, spring...4 pints in the freezer for stew, curry or soup.

Miso/sesame chicken over winter wheat.

Chicken/veggie soup

Save    

Burger. Fresh ground. Chuck and short rib.

Save    

Chili from the freezer. Started the pot with a 1/2 pint bone broth. (chili from a great batch I made a few months ago. Knew it would be thick). We had big grain bowl salads for lunch so this hit the spot.

Save    
Jasdip

It's nice to see meat in your meals Sleeve! You have to belong with the rest of us! J/K!

Save    

Its been a nice run, moo and cluck. But veggie bin is full again. Have a fresh pack of prosciutto that will provide a bit of bacon no mater the decided menu.

Big snow storm hitting tomorrow so meal planning is happening now to keep us going through next week. Both off work through next weekend. I have the other half of a holiday meal, big bone-in pork roast maybe Sunday. Mostly veg but looking forward to the rare time off cooking together. January has been mild so far hitting 70 a few days mostly 60's. Can't complain, but will tomorrow night! : )

Save    
Susan Tencza

Lasagna stuffed peppers and Schar rolls done up for garlic bread

Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Having a slice of ham, green beans, cheese grits, tomatoes, and French bread which is baking now.

1 Like Save    
neely

Susan Tencza your meal looks delicious and yours WalnutCreek sounds good.

Love your meals above Sleevendog Chilli and burgers Yum.

For one of our dinners we had chicken and red peppers cooked with garlic and sweet paprika (some chilli flakes of course) and the ever popular green beans. Served as a side, plain orzo which has become almost a staple.

1 Like Save    
shambo

Susan, I buy the Schar ciabatta rolls for just about every family get together. My two oldest granddaughters and their mother are gluten free, and those Schar rolls are really good for sandwiches. The only brand that I think is comparable is BeFree. The girls and their mom are also dairy and egg free, so finding decent tasting breadstuffs with good texture can be hard.

Save    
shambo

We finished eating the meat pita I made a few days ago. So, I guess I have to break down and cook something tomorrow.

Save    
annie1992

Oh, everything looks so good, but especially those meat pitas, Shambo, and Neely's orzo....and Jasdip's rolls and....I can't decide.

We had some burgers on homemade whole wheat buns:

It's cold and snowy, and chili sounds good, as does soup. Maybe tomorrow....

Annie

Save    
neely

Shambo the meat pitta looks delicious.

Annie.... homemade bread.... yummmm

Here we have salmon Again. This time the mustard sauce is better and it’s served with pickled cabbage and beetroot.

Save    
Jasdip

Great looking meals as always, but Neely, your chicken and red peppers and orzo are screaming at me. That looks soooo good.

Easy-peasy meal of sausages and sauerkraut, boiled potatoes with skins on and the rest of the cauliflower. Gee thank heavens the sausages add some colour to the plate as the blob of yellow mustard!

I bought 'spicy' sausages instead of the regular to try them out. Hmmm I still feel it in my gut, I don't know how people use a whole can of RoTel tomatoes in their dishes. I'm happy with just a tbsp! LOL

Save    
annie1992

Neely, the salmon looks perfect and I love mustard, so that would be just right for me.

Jasdip, I'm a coward when it comes to heat, I'm with you on the hot sausages, I'd have to pass, LOL.

Here it's snowing, but not really cold, it's wet, almost on the edge of rain. So I made white chili:

Last night I made a weight watchers shrimp thing with pineapple and cauliflower rice. Home canned green beans on the side. Elery liked it, I thought it was not worth the time or ingredients:

Before that it was a meatless "burrito" plate which was actually pretty good:

Tonight I made whoopie pies to take to a birthday party tomorrow:

The cats have been watching the birds at the bird feeder, they think THIS would make a good supper, LOL:

And this makes 100, someone needs to start a new thread!

Annie

Save    

That could be my feeder pic Annie. Birds on my suet all day long.

Wow the rain today! That should take care of the last snowstorm. 42º was the daytime temp. If lower temp, what a snowstorm this would have been.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Houzz Call Show Us Your Best Kitchen Innovation
Did you take kitchen functionality up a notch this year? We want to see your best solutions for the hardest-working room in the house
Full Story
Kitchen Design Top Kitchen Innovations From the Latest Fairs in Milan
Microkitchens, concealed burners and new oven technologies are some of the surprises for 2018
Full Story