Easiest way to send pictures of grandkids

ginjj

Is there an easy way to send pictures of grandkids to a grandparent that isn't very good with computers? I have the pictures on my computer mostly in Google Photos, but for him to see them he'd have to have Google Photos on his computer and he doesn't want to learn anything new.

A flash drive would be easy but I would like to do it online if there is a similar easy way.

What I'm looking for is a minimal number of steps, as with a flash drive.

It would be wonderful if there was a program designed for just this purpose - easy for kids or grandparents to use.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

Ginny

SaveComment13Like
Comments (13)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

Can you send a link to Google Photos for viewing via browser? Either to an individual photo, or put some into an album and link to that? Someone on another message board discussing a washing machine problem recently linked a couple videos via Google Photos. I normally have a Google log-in active via YouTube ... but I tried the links in a browser profile without a log-in active and could still view the videos.

Save    
ginjj

I am not good very with Google Photos but may know someone who is. Thanks for the idea.

Save    
kudzu9

Just insert the photos into the body of an email and they will be readily visible when it's opened. You could also include them as email attachments, but that means the recipient would need to know how to open an attachment.

Save    
ginjj

I am sorry, I should have said "videos." I am told that videos can only be sent via messages, not email. I have gmail.

Save    
kudzu9

Short videos can be sent via email, but email providers limit the size of attachments (Google limits them to 25 MB currently), and many video files exceed these restrictions. The link I've attached below talks about embedding a video link in an email for videos you have on your Google Drive. I haven't tried this myself, but it might satisfy your need for something simple: Video via email.

Save     Thanked by ginjj
ginjj

I will try that in a bit, I'm cooking now. It does look simple, thanks!

Save    
acraftylady

For videos I use YouTube. I can easiily upload to my account and make each video private. Then I email the person the password to view with a link to my video page. For photos fickr or picture trail is nice besides google. You can just send links for the album. Mary

Save    
ginjj

I love You Tube that's for sure but I'm not comfortable with putting my grandchild and his friends and family out there even though it's supposed to be private. I imagine the same can be said for Google Photos, Shutterfly, Facebook etc. Humm Thanks for your suggestion!

Save    
acraftylady

Anything can be hacked these days it seems. I dont worry. Most of my videos are my Mom in the nursing home before she passed. Mary

Save    
ginjj

You are right Mary. I will think about the You Tube idea!

Save    
Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)

I think it used to be the case that to share a private Youtube video, the recipient also needed a Youtube account.
That may no longer be true?

I upload mine as "Unlisted" so they won't be listed on my channel or searchable but if need be I can still share a link or embed a video.

For instance...

* This video is "Private": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNYO7Bpi8ww

* This video is "Unlisted": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=homX4_6yYw0

The private video you should not be able to view.

The unlisted video you should. (Only because I gave the link)

MiMi

Would they enjoy a digital frame? The kind you can add pictures to from your end and they show up on their digital frame? You can install a large SD card in the frame so it holds a lot of photos, download the ones you have on the SD card then the others will be saved to it as you send them. Just this minute and add came on for something similar called a "Skylight"... you might want to check that out.

acraftylady

Skylight frame is a great idea providing the person has Wi-Fi in their home to use the frame. They run about $150 I think as I saw them so not cheap. You simply use email and send to a special email address the frame has. Seems to work just like my wireless printer in that I can send documents to it away from home as the printer has a special email address. Mary

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Features Where Front Yards Collide: Property Lines in Pictures
Some could be twins; others channel the Odd Couple. You may never look at property boundaries the same way again
Full Story
Organizing Clever Ways to Rethink the Linen Closet
The Hardworking Home: Get rid of those toppling piles with these ideas for organizing bedding, towels and more
Full Story
Fall and Thanksgiving 10 Unexpected Ways to Style a Gorgeous Fall Mantel
Been there, done that with the pumpkins and corncobs? Try these wonderfully fresh ideas for a beautifully decorated mantel this autumn
Full Story