SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamesmarcs2

Bathroom Reno-Should I replace the shower valve? Cut open tile?!

Hello.

I just bought my first house. WOOT! A 1 bedroom/1 bath and I'm renovating the bathroom.

I have a few questions but my first is if I should replace my shower valve. My house was built in 1982 and has the original Delta shower hardware. Delta said this valve was discontinued in the early 1990s. My spout is constantly dripping which I believe replacing the cartridge would fix. However if I want to update to a newer looking trim kit I'll need to replace the valve. I do not have an access panel and the back of my tub is my neighbors tub. So to replace the value the plumber would need to break through my subway tile shower wall. I would then need a tile guy to tile that section again. This would cost $840 for the plumber and tile guy. What do you think? Replace valve or just try to fix leak?

Side note:My AC (located in bathroom ceiling) was recently replaced and the AC guys chipped the tub (replaced a couple of years ago). They sent someone to fix it and they ended up spraying my whole tub. I didn't realized at the time that this was basically paint or I would've left the black chip. So my tub is now painted but my faucet is dripping which I'm told will cause the new tub paint to peel. The leaky faucet that I never cared about is now on my to be fixed list. :(

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations