SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vanja88

Need help with long narrow open concept living room PLEASE!

vanja88
4 years ago

Hello Houzz!
Desperately need help with our living room layout! Apologizing in advance for the long winded post.

Moving into a new construction so we don’t have a sense of space yet, only floor plan. The living room is 11x19 open into the kitchen that is 10’5x19. I’ve attached the floor plan. So even though the living room has a width of 11, you don’t actually have 11ft of usable space. 3 of those feet are basically hallway. The wall to the left of when you enter the space is about 7ft.

I’ve gone over many ideas for layout and the latest is splitting the room in two. Making the fireplace a focal point (tv above it). I know, I know...not supposed to put tv above fireplace but I don’t know where else to put it.
Placing a sectional starting at 4ft away from fireplace. Then behind the sectional I would put a narrow working table/console and chair behind it. My husband and I work from home often so would like the space behind sectional to utilize as office space but be aesthetically pleasing. Then to the right of the fireplace, place a chair there.

There’s a sectional I love from Urban Barn called the Berg. The dimensions we’re looking at it 125x85. The seat depth is 30”. So this is a big piece of furniture! I’ve attached the picture of the sectional. It’ll look exactly like that except a different colour. There will be an armless chair on the short side just like the picture. My worry with this sectional is that even though the measurements seem right, that it’ll look to big for the space. If the room is 19ft and I start the sectional after 4ft, I’m down to 15ft left. It’s length is 10ft leaving me with 5 for a desk and chair behind it. And the width of 85 is an inch over 7ft which is the width of that short wall.

Would love to know your thoughts! Thanks!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living