SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bostonmamatofive

Need Help with long narrow living room

bostonmamatofive
3 years ago

Hoping for some help!

Our living room is long and narrow 12.5 ft wide X 25 ft long.

We are a large family of 8- kids range from 11-0 and actually still enjoy (it won't last!) sitting all together watching tv, movies etc., so I am trying to maximize our seating for this season of our lives (soon they'll prefer watching tv in basement with friends I know!) while not clogging up the space and still giving it a light, airy feel.

Hoping you can help with the following:

- Rug size-

currently is a 8.5x12 but I think it needs to be more like 10X14 appreciate any thought on this.
Cannot go wider than 10 ft due to hearth.

Is it ok that the rug goes into the two entries walkways to the room?

Please recommend ideal rug pattern for long narrow space, geometric, stripes, neutral?

- The weird ends of the room-

what to do on the ends of the room?

One side has an antique writing desk, add more to this side? what, maybe just a plant in
the corner?

The other side has nothing really, should I add a built in bookcase (see pic) to that
opposite wall?
We could use more bookshelf space

Kids do have some things on that side (books, sm. basket with toys) so maybe define as
a small kids space?
it's inevitable that their stuff does migrate from basement playroom.
Keep in mind, this is the entry we typically enter from through the kitchen.

- Furniture and lighting suggestions-

Open to any thoughts on current furniture/layout, especially recommendations for ideal
chairs in this space, I have not yet purchased.

What to do on antique desk side? loveseat (already have) or purchase two chairs and sm
table to balance/mirror other chairs/table at other end.

Add scones to other each built in flanking fireplace, to add light? but not increase space
taken on floor space. Other lighting suggestions?

Appreciate any advice you can offer! Happy Thanksgiving!

Comments (10)