SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim1961_gw

FALL is here! Seasonal thread part 6

Well Fall is here! A time when our roses are getting ready for there final flushes of the season!

Please post pics, good conversation, and just have fun!

Thank you all for making these seasonal threads such a success!

Comments (135)

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Thanks, oursteelers. I love Love Song, too. I can forgive the lack of fragrance because of those blooms. The darn rose looks like it would have a fabulous scent--but no, fooled ya, rose gardener.

Thanks, Sara Ann. This was the earliest bad freeze I can remember at this house. The hard frost date does vary a lot, but this was awful.

I'll be back later. Gotta go. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Thanks, Jim, and that's a wonderful thing you do for those feral cats. In my previous home, I did some cat rescuing--mainly took them to the private no kill shelter which was part of the private humane organization I was a member of. This group did free spaying and neutering of the strays, plus gave medical care if needed, and had an adoption program and foster program. This was in the next county over where the taxpayer supported county shelter didn't even take cats at all, and certainly wasn't a "no kill. So typical of the tightwads that run that county.

Trish, I'm glad you got that rain without the awful wind. It sounds like you are on a water rationing program. Did this just start? Do you think that tree needs to be removed--sounds a bit dangerous. I'm enjoying the Bryson book on Australia, and I've learned so much. What a land of contrasts you live in; and so sparsely populated, except for the major cities. Do you know Australia's current population? We have a big segment of the population here that are just plain science deniers--whether it's climate change, environmental protection, you name it. I fear we're going backward, and will suffer for it in the future. What is the reasoning, I wonder, in denying your friends their visas? I would think that spending their dollars in Australia would be to your country's benefit. I hope you get more rain, and how are your roses doing?

Well, my favorite farm store has no compost--and what am I to do? I haven't finished throwing compost on all my roses. I'll have to wait until March, I guess. Diane

• Related Discussions

Doggie Days of Summer Seasonal Thread.... PART Six (6)

Q

Comments (196)
    How fast it all went--not just this past summer, but all those years, Jim. I remember some of your 2015 photos, even. I love that colorful mix of annuals you grew, and I still think you are the marigold King. Why did you remove all those dogwoods--ugh what a job? Your dog Candy looks like a sweetie, and I am sorry for your loss. Candy had lots of fun with Gracie right up till the end, and that's a good thing. Lastly, how can I forget the Pink Party Wagon?? We should use it more in the coming season. How is your Mom doing? Very well, I'll bet. And thanks for the start of a new thread. I certainly hope Houzz shapes up and lets you use Chrome. Ann, your Black Baccara is stupendous. Golly gee, I hate using those over-the-top adjectives, but BB is an over-the-top rose. I wish I could touch those velvety petals. My memories of summer are deer, too much shade for roses, and drought. We still stand at 7 inches of precipitation for the year. September is now the third driest Sept on record (since 1886). Some good things to report: now that the dreadful locust trees are losing their leaves, and sun is shining through the branches, my elderly Evelyns are popping some of the most beautiful blooms I've seen on the big E. Those roses were waiting to bloom with lots of stored energy.....I'm really enjoying Rouge Royale blooms, all of which I've picked over the last few weeks for bouquets (yaya deer). They last a long time, and the scent is lovely. I noticed that RR blooms darken almost immediately after picking, and I like the darker color. See you all on the fall thread. Diane
    ...See More

SPRING is here... Seasonal thread part 6

Q

Comments (147)
    Kelly, the peony company may become more reputable if they keep selling gorgeous peonies like that one. I am crazy about tree peonies, but most of mine reverted back to species large, single white petals. I think I had them planted too shallow like herbaceous peonies. I've never seen one quite the color of yours. The yellow stamens really set it off. I don't have Cherry Frost, but have heard good things about it. I know how it is, hoping for a climber to at least get a few feet tall. I'm in the house instead of outside because we're having another wind storm. Every time it looks calm and I change shoes and pull my gloves on, it starts up again. Those pine cones are murder when they fall on your head from up so high. I need a gardening helmet.
    ...See More

FALL is here! Seasonal thread part 2

Q

Comments (134)
    Oops! I was trying to take a picture, and somehow hit “submit”. Better to hit submit than lose everything, as has happened too many times. Lol Sara ann, those are some lovely roses. I hope you get to enjoy blooms for a little longer. Trish, what a wonderful vacation! The pictures are glorious! I do love seeing different gardens from different places. Thank you for showing them to us. I hope you’re having a great time. Here’s what Violet’s Pride looks like this afternoon, after our Santa Ana. She held up pretty well. There’s a tiny piece of Baronne Prevost bloom cluster in the far left of the photo. She’s been blooming all summer. A closer look at Baronne Prevost. She’s so beautiful, and smells wonderful. Flowers, you really do need to try her sometime. I just took this picture now, so these blooms held up beautifully through the Santa Ana. It’s a very quiet day here today, without Millie. The staff at Brandon’s work wanted him to bring Millie to work with him today, just for fun. Brandon texted and said the vets are totally amazed at her recovery. She loves going to the veterinarian office, unlike most cats. She spent three months of her early life in a clinic, so she feels right at home in that setting. The staff put up a baby gate, so she could roam around the area where the staff is working without her getting into places she shouldn’t. Brandon’s text said Millie is having the time of her life, with all the extra people loving on her. I asked him to take some pictures. I hope he does. It’s hard to believe she’s so well, after she was so ill that she was nearly euthanized twice. We may never know what is was/is that she had/has. I just hope it’s gone and never returns. Just having her gone for today makes me miss her. Have a great weekend, everyone. Lisa
    ...See More

FALL is here! Seasonal thread part 3

Q

Comments (130)
    Lisa, your Flamingo Garden's Tea is the epitome of a tea rose and I am captivated. I hope all those buds remain intact through the high winds. Gorgeous with Pomponella peeking through. Your bouquet may not be what you had in mind, but it is lovely and I wouldn't change a thing. I will be looking for a Cherry Caramel phlox! Love it! Sara Ann, what pretty grands you have. The grown up girl on the right in the 2nd pic must be the little girl in the first photo? And, the boy on the left must also be on the left in the 2nd pic? I can't decide which of the two young boys the little cutie blondie is. Mine are all girls except 1 grandson. We have photos of him and my dad, his great grand dad, sitting side by side on the porch, each wearing one of dad's hats from when he was tiny through his 20's, the last one taken just before my dad passed away. Those photos are so precious. Diane, you are always so complimentary. I could post a photo of dirt and you would find something nice to say about it. Those roses are Rosarium Uetersen, Quietness and Florentina, all in their shrunken, cold weather glory. Hope you put an extra blanket on the bed. We are both scheduled to get down to 14˚ tonight. I'm still doing the compost sling, too. Hope to wrap it up this week. It's too cold to stay outside for long.
    ...See More
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Diane, that LS in incredible! Oh to have dry weather and not worry about BS, but then there's always something. Our weather seems to mirror Jim's, but always more extreme and less snow! :(( I love to x-country ski so I'd prefer a bit more. We've had much ealier cold. Once everything froze in Oct. when the leaves were still on and it pulled downed trees and limbs. I was without electricity for over a week. At least I could use hot water and the stove. I always laugh thinking about it as I was expecting company from Spain and England the night it happened. I think they thought we were really backwards here in America getting warm by the fire by candle light. It sure was romantic though. It even stayed cold enough that we just put the freezer contents in a cooler in the unheated garage.

Jim, that's so you to take such care of those kitties. I never see any feral around me or I'm sure I'd do the same. Poor things.

Trish, you can't be more pathetic than we are here generally for education and science in particular, especially in my neck of the woods. A while back the University here took all the grant overhead from the researchers that's meant to go to the individual departments and rebuilt the athletic stadium. Then they took new professors' start-up funds when that wasn't enough! all while the unfortunate students can barely write a cogent sentence or do a simple math equation. Of course, there are always exceptions, but it is just a general lessening of knowledge.I think we are already paying economically. Just a couple of years ago, the entire research dept. that had many Germans went back and started their own department which now employs hundreds, since there was such a funding cut for pure and even applied research. With them went all the money helping to support them here and their wealth of knowledge, not to mention the perception of academic excellence. Oh well, at least we have three sports stadiums with the losingest teams! LOL!

4 years ago

Diane, you should try cuttings! They are so much fun, but be careful what you wish for! Thanks to a lengthy reading of "the literature" and various sites including this one and really great detailed explanations/pics from gagal, I've 'cracked' the code for spring, summer and fall cuttings. I had one dormant cutting make it last year, but all my special late fall cutting died as of yesterday. I did go away for a few weeks and don't think they got the care they needed. Oh well. I'll try again in the spring with those. Usually that's how it goes; all of one variety succeed and all of another die. My goal is to have at least one of each make it through the winter and that's quite a few roses right there. So why am I STILL looking to buy more? Is it ever enough? I thought I was almost there until these sales popped up, but I'm so far holding firm to only buy Quicksilver. Really all you need is some room under your roses, small old pots, wood chips of some sort and you're good to go. Few things in roses are as thrilling as seeing those roots! : ))

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    4 years ago

Diane, love your lavender roses!
    Jim, hang in there and visit your mom for Thanksgiving, especially if that’s what you usually do.
    I pegged my Paul Neyron yesterday. Pictures of before and after. We should be getting an inch of much needed rain over Thanksgiving.

• Sylvia Wendel
    4 years ago

Double-centered Moonstone!

Guess I’m glad I haven’t sp’d it.

My roses still have buds, but we’re looking at lots of rain over Thanksgiving weekend and very low temperatures — down to the high 30s. I guess winter has come.

Tomorrow begins the great cookathon..

I like this thread because it feels as if we’re all in the same neighborhood, popping in and out of each others’ houses.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

I forgot to thank you and DIane earlier, vaporvac, any info on pruning older roses is helpful.

This was my last bouquet on November 26, 2016.

Late season 2019 picture of POSEIDON

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

I love that you "cracked the code" on rooting cuttings, vapor. I'm so excited about my Peter Schneider "Freedom Gardens" lilacs and roses, thanks to you. I can't wait for them to bloom next Spring.

Jim, I'm coming to Phili tomorrow to see my son & wife for Thanksgiving. I hope we have your weather. Do go visit your Mom.

I know we are are pulling for sanity to prevail and our country to lead the way. I miss that.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Vapor, Thanks, and Love Song thanks you. I can't imagine being without electricity for over a week, a ghastly thought. About two hours was the longest I've gone without. Our piddling snow was totally melted off in a few hours, but, hey, I'll take precip in any form. Thank you for your encouragement to try cuttings. But what if I was successful? Where would I put all those new rose bushes? I'm at the "one in--one out" stage of space around here. I am jealous of all those neat new roses you're going to have.

Stephanie, thank you, too. And your Paul Neyron looks wonderful. What an improvement. How large to you think he will get? It's all so green, you lucky thing. My roses started going dormant ages ago, and today we're having lots of wind which is really removing the leaves. It looks like winter around here.

Sylvia, what a gorgeous center that looks like an early Valentine. I'm glad you didn't shovel prune Moonstone, too. Your lows of high 30s sound like our highs, starting tomorrow or so. No big cookathon here. They'll be just a small group of us, and two hate turkey, so I'll roast an extra large chicken. I love pumpkin pie, which I'll make, and then force the punkin' haters to eat. What a bunch of thanksgiving laggards.

Sara Ann, you are so lucky to have that beautiful bouquet for your Thanksgiving. Those roses look like springtime, and the colors are superb. And Poseidon looks marvelous, especially for so late in the season.

Have a wonderful and happy visit with your son and family, Sheila. From what I see on the weather map, Philadelphia has milder temps than Pittsburgh. I think Jim is nearer Pittsburgh, though it's still a couple of hours away (I asked him about that a while back). I guess you won't have to cook much tomorrow, lucky thing.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone, and Jim, I'm thinking of you, and wishing the best day possible for you and your Mom and family. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

4 years ago

Diane, that is why I caution to be careful what you wish for! )) Fortunately, most take awhile to grow large enough so there's plenty of time to ponder their placement. I envy you your mature garden and even a somewhat smaller space that doesn't require so much thought or effort to keep neat. Mine will head towards absolute chaos at the merest suggestion with all our rain. I still haven't wrangled my lower level, but this may be the year I finally am able. I'd really like some fruit trees down there.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    4 years ago

Sylvia, no cookathon going on over here, either, and I'm thankful for that. I don't enjoy it like I used to, unless it's for a houseful of family - that I do enjoy. My husband said he doesn't want a big traditional dinner this year. Yahoo!! No crowds at the grocery store or driving to town in the pre holiday traffic.

Your analogy of us popping in and out of each other's homes is a good one. I feel the same way. I wish Vap would pop in here and show me her secrets of success with all those cuttings. I think I need someone to take me by the hand. I'm trying seed starting this year and that doesn't look promising, either. I am, however, skilled at growing mold.

Diane, it's cold and windy here, too. Spokane, south of us, keeps getting snow, but up here, in this so called snow-belt, still none. Not complaining, but, I guess it is better for the roses to have that blanket of protection.

I try to get my Christmas shopping done before the weather gets bad, and I'm happy to say, I'm done. Hallelujah! The year we got 90+" of snow on the ground, mostly all at once, taught me to get it done early. There will be a wrapathon going on here, instead of cooking.

The roses above are wonderful pick-me-ups on this dreary day. Sara Ann, Poseidon looks enormous. I'm hoping to have vases filled with Augusta Luise next year, Diane. i wish i knew if she is going to survive winter, and if I ought to get another one. Love the heart shaped Moonstone bloom, Sylvia. Looks like Eden, in that pic. Stephanie, you ought to have armloads of Paul Neyron blooms next year,by pegging him.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    4 years ago

Hi Diane, sorry I forgot before. In 2017, the population of Australia was just under 25 million. Most people are in the major cities. I remember laughing my head off reading that BB book. I particularly remember him popping up in someone's garden. I wonder if she knows now who her visitor was.

I saw a Brunsfelsia for sale at the Bridge Club yesterday, and of course brought it home. No idea where it can go, but at least it's a slow grower.

Vaporvac, I hope that tree stays upright. Diane, I might be allowed to have mine removed, but it would cost upwards of $5,000, I would think. Still, it would be cheaper than losing the house (and anyone in it). I shall investigate.

A Happy Thanksgiving to all, even the laggards. We're laggards about Xmas.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

Thank you Diane and flowers. The bouquet is from three years ago, when I still had blooms at this time. My Poseidon bushes had some lovely fall blooms and I Was very pleased with them, no blooms at this time though. My roses stopped blooming at the end of October this year.

Diane, is that Augusta Luise, beautiful picture?

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

Some sort of Thanksgiving looking roses, all from this year.

CRAZY LOVE

SAVANNAH

TROPICANA

EASY DOES IT

LADY OF SHALOTT

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Trish, yow, that's a lot for tree removal, but as you say, it's better than having it crash into the house. Australia has grown a lot. Bryson says it was around 18 million in 2000. Guess the pop of the US....I think it's about 310,000,000. May we send you a substantial chunk of that bunch? I remember Bryson crawling over a wall to get away from some very angry dogs that he could hear coming for him from the woods he'd been walking in. He landed in some flabbergasted women's back yard. Pretty funny, and I would have done the same, though today, I wouldn't make over the blasted wall. What is a Brunsfelsia, and why do you like it? I should just look it up.

Flowers, you will have a lovely, low key Thanksgiving, and end the day still rested. That sounds delightful. Did you give Augusta some extra compost protection? It might be worth it. I can't imagine 90 inches of snow--that's as bad as Maine. We usually get 1-4 or so inches, but the first year we were here, we got zero inches. I have a very small shopping list, and the girls get mostly money at this point--which they want and need. Jemma just got accepted to her college choice, along with a whopping scholarship. She will be singing next month to compete for music scholarships. I'm very proud of her. Diane

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

First off wonderful pics!

Our feral cats here are spayed titian1 ...They were spayed a couple years ago by a area program...

Well I asked my wife about going to my moms... She said NO! She has other plans...

And she's back to not talking much! SO that's how that situation is going...

And I took our cat Cagney to vet today...Cagney has Hyperthyroidism... My wife has not even asked me how Cagneys appt. went? Like she just doesn't even care about anything anymore...

Well I'm keeping my head up... I refuse to get depressed over my wife treating me poorly for no reason... And I realize I can not control this situation...SO... I will be patient and deal with whatever unfolds...

NOW, enough of that!

I hope everyone here has a great Turkey Day tomorrow! Do not eat to much that your tummies will ache....lol...I'll probably do that though...lol I always do...lol

4 years ago

Jim, I wish you an especially Happy Thanksgiving and am keeping you, your wife and Cagney in my thoughts. That is extreme that she didn't even inquire about the kitty. So sad.

• Sylvia Wendel
    4 years ago

Ugh,, I wrote a long comment and Houzz erased t. Going out to pick up Thai food now— No way I’m cooking tonight.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Well, Sylvia I cooked tonight, but I didn't have any posts disappear. What a pain that is. I love Thai food. In a bit, I start on the pumpkin pie. Just finished the cran sauce.

Jim, my thoughts are the same as Vapor's, and I want you to enjoy tomorrow at your Mom's. Will Cagney be taking meds? Nothing like tricking a cat into taking pills. I do hope they have the correct diagnosis for Cagney. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Oops, I meant to comment on your roses, Sara Ann. They make a lovely color coordinated collection. Savannah looks especially like Augusta Luise. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Diane

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    4 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! We are pretty chill on Thanksgiving; just Mark and I and 3/4 of the kids...the oldest is in Pittsburgh. And I’m okay with that, I just want to get to Christmas!

Thanksgiving is fine but we really should always be thankful for who and what we have so for me it comes down to the food which is.....fiiiiiiine, I suppose :)

At dinner we always say what we are thankful for and this year it will be for all of you.

It is so incredibly fun to come here and talk about flowers (I also really enjoy the hosta and perennial forums) and know you are not boring everyone to tears.

I hope you all enjoy your day and to Jim...I know things are hard with your wife but I really hope you enjoy the time with your Mom. Happy Thanksgiving:)

4 years ago

Sara Ann, I absolutely can not wait for my Crazy Love to bloom. I've seen so many photos of it, all different. Some more orange, some more pink and, like yours, a little of both at the same time. Each of her looks is so beautiful and different from any other rose I have. I'm not quite a stripy lover yet, but this one is close. i checked on her yesterday and she still looks good. Not droopy and no dead tips yet, but still very small.

Jim, here you go again with Cagney. That poor kitty has been through the wringer. Sounds like meds may be needed to keep hyperthyroidism under control. I'm so sorry you have another thing to worry about.

Diane, yes, I don't normally winterize, but I couldn't walk away from Augusta without giving her a little winter protection. I gave her fresh compost all around the base and piled up a some extra on her canes and did the same for Poseidon and Princess Charlene, my newest ones. My grown grands all prefer $ too, but I like to find something unique to put it in. Shipping has gotten outrageous, so I try to find something small and light weight, which makes it a challenge.

Trish, I knew brunsfelsia sounded familiar, but couldn't think what it is until I looked it up. We call it Yesterday Today and Tomorrow plant and I grew one in CA. My daughter has a beautiful one. It has an intoxicating fragrance. I think Lilyfinch bought one since she's been in CA.

• lkayetwvz5
    4 years ago

Just wishing any who celebrate Thanksgiving to have a great one! If not with family or friends then just to reflect on how fortunate we are compared to others.

Our growing season is well over with here after our artic blast of 16F with winds at 24mph. I have never seen my roses look so dead so quickly. Love Song has black canes already and several of my cuttings I planted out late have basically disappeared. Yesterday it was 60F before noon and then the wind picked up to 55mph blasts. The temp this morning is just barely above freezing. All the leaves I had raked and put around plants all sailed off to the woods along with rose surrounds, tarps and covers and pails and basically anything that wasn't nailed down! Still have some veggie beds to clean up, the raspberries to cut down and leaves to rerake. I really am glad it's over with until spring. I thought I would have an easier year coming up in 2020 because I only ordered 7 roses and thought I had the biggest projects taken care of but the more I look at things I see projects galore! Oh well I am thankful each and every day that I can get out of bed and go out side and still do things!

• dianela7analabama
    4 years ago

Happy thanksgiving everyone. I hope you all have a lovely time with your loved ones. My husband and I are on our way to his grandparents house for thanksgiving (they are 90 =). Everyone just brings the food so the grandparents can still have the celebration at their house like they have always done. You all have been great friends and I am very thankful for having you to share life and garden stories with.

Jim hang in there, and I wish you a good thanksgiving with your mom. I will pray for a fast resolution to whatever the issue with your wife is. At some point after the holiday you really should ask your wife what on earth is really going on, and face whatever the situation is. You can ignore certain things but being emotionally abused by your spouse is not something anyone should put up with long term. I apologize if my statement is too blunt, but it hurts me see others abuse those who love them.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    4 years ago

Jim, I'm glad you're able to stay calm in the face of your wife's behaviour. It is weird that she didn't even ask after Cagney. It must be like dealing with an entirely different person. I hope you have a pleasant day with your mother.

Diane, you kindly asked how my roses are. That's such a hard question to answer! A few look ok, a few look not so good, and many are gone! The rugosas I got this year, and the one rugosa I already had (and hadn't removed to make room for G Nabonnand that then upped and almost died!), are disease free so far. Anna Olivier which died back to nothing in a fortnight some months ago, has sent up a little new growth which is healthy so far, but I don't expect it to stay that way. GN has sent up a couple of very vigorous canes, which are flowering away. The short answer is a very mixed bag! And I have no confidence (except in the rugosas) that any will stay disease free.

That's wonderful news about Jemma. A 'whopping scholarship', no less!

Sara Ann, lovely photos. I especially like the one of Poseidon.

flowers, 90" of snow! I hope you get a little soon to protect your roses. I take my hat off to all of you who live in climates with 'real' winters, and how Sheila coped in Alaska I have no idea. Brunsfelsia's called Yesterday Today and Tomorrow here too. I didn't realise till after I'd bought it that there are two types - one fragrant and one not. I think I've got the non-fragrant one, but my sense of smell is poor these days. And I was told today that once you have one you have a thousand!

lkaye, I so agree. Most of us on this forum are comparatively very fortunate. A pest about that wind undoing all your hard work. I'm in a perpetual state of thinking the garden will be less work (and look better) next year. Hmmm.

dianela, how heartwarming that everyone still goes (and takes food) to your husband's grandparents.

Stephanie, I do like your wall.

Rosie was rubbing away at her face yesterday, but as she has skin problems I didn't think too much of it till I came home in the afternoon, and saw that one side of her face had ballooned up. She will eat bees, so that may have been the cause. I dosed her with a children's anti-histamine, and it has subsided quite a bit. She's so sweet when there's something wrong with her. She becomes extra cuddly. I really believe she knows I'm trying to help her.

Sylvia, I think I'd better post this before I lose it. Such a pain when that happens. Love your Moonstone 'heart'.

oursteelers, I think that's lovely that you're mentioning the people on this forum at your dinner. It's put a large smile on my face. It is such a blessing to be able to come on here and chat about our garden (and life) successes and failures, and know that we're not boring the pants off people, but more than that, there is such a feeling of community.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Nope your statement is how I feel right now dianela7bnorthal so no worries! Thanks..

Thank you everyone from the bottom of my heart! For the concerns!

But I will be fine!

Going to my moms here real soon! Taking Gracie and yes rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ) I will return with a doggie bag...lol

Cagney will be taking pills...X2 a day..Had to buy those Greenie treats to hide the pill inside...I got Cagney to take her first pill this morning...If this system fails in the future they make the same pill in gel form which is then rubbed into the tip of Cagneys ear...

• Sylvia Wendel
    4 years ago

Rain can’t stop Chicago Peace.

Aunt Margy’s Rose, which almost succumbed to the summer heat, is back. Sorry it’s not a better picture, but it’s wet and cold out there-42 degrees!

Happy T-Day to all.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Good grief, Sylvia, you're almost as cold as we are. I think we're about 42F. But lucky you, for the rain. It's always welcome in our dry states. And your roses look great. I especially love the first pic--rose is saying--I will not be denied. Onward and upward. Happy T-Day, all of you. Diane

• summersrhythm_z6a
    4 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Going out soon to put straw around one rose bed. I used straw at the country garden last winter, it’s much easier than mulch. I tried to find wood chips from a few tree services, but they don’t give it out in my area. That would be light and easier than mulch too.

Don’t eat too much though. Did some online Christmas shopping after the turkey lunch. Might go to Target tonight to check out the deals.

Jim, wish your situation gets better soon. Have a good time at your mom’s!

4 years ago

Happy Thanks giving everyone. There are few things that a piece of pie can't help, so eat up! :))

4 years ago

Trish, I never knew Brunfeldsia to sucker or reseed. I wouldn't have minded. Also didn't know there were fragrant and non-fragrant types. The flowers are fleeting, but it's the first shrub I'd buy in a warmer zone. They can get big like small trees, which I think would be stunning. I hope Rosie is feeling better and the swelling is down. Our old Lab used to chase bees and I would her her chomp down on them countless times a day. I always wondered if they didn't sting inside her mouth, or had no effect, or what. That would have to be painful!!

Jim, I hope Cagney is a good pill taker. Daisy is not and after what would seem to be a successful attempt, I would later find the pill stuck in her fur. I hope the meds do the trick and Cagney will be back to herself in no time.

Vap, I agree that pie is the cure for just about anything.

I hope you are all surrounded by the people you love today.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    4 years ago

I bought 4 pies, apple, cherry, blueberry and pumpkin! Blueberry didn’t make it to the oven, ran out of room. It tastes better if you put ice cream on top of a piece warm pie. :-)

Original Author
    4 years ago

Gracie and I had a wonderful day at my moms! :-)

My wife stayed home and slept all day...

I gave Cagney her second pill this evening...

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

• summersrhythm_z6a
    4 years ago

Glad to hear that Jim. Things will get better for you!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Back from T-Day overload. As I do every year (really), I ate way too much for an oldie, and so I left the group early to read and nap. After my nap, I felt much better. I will never learn. I gladly had pumpkin pie with whipped cream for breakfast. Shared a little whipped cream with Clancy. He's made out like a bandit the last couple of days. He had a huge snack of chicken liver yesterday. Raw. Yum. All gone. I awoke today to snow outside, but so far it's a puny Idaho desert snow. I'll take anything. I hope you are all feeling no ill effects from yesterday, and are currently doing fun things. I'm still picking up tumbleweeds everywhere from all the wind we've had, and poor Golden Celebration lost two huge 6 foot canes. This rose can easily spare the loss.

Jim, I'm so happy your day went well for you and Gracie. Are you having snow? Temp? I think we're in the mid-forties right now. So our puny snow is melting.

Vapor, I'm still doing my part in ending the pie's life.

My goodness, summers, did you get those pies eaten up? I'll bet you've got snow.

Flowers, and I bet you've got snow, too. The little C. rotundifolia still has some blooms--with snow on them. I am loving this plant more every day. I know you will have lots of success with it. Hope your T-day was a pleasant one, and that you did get some pie.

Here is an overload album of Ebb Tide, a very reliable bloomer, and one I've grown since 2006. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Photo #3 is a photobomb by Boscobel, Golden Celebration, and Wild Blue Yonder. Diane

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. Jim, I’m glad you and Gracie had a good time at your Mom’s and I certainly hope Cagney is better. I wish you the best with the situation with your wife.

I enjoy reading everyone’s comments, and the compliments.

I had a wonderful Thanksgiving with my daughter and her family, and other family members. It was so good to see my oldest granddaughter, she lives in Texas now. I was a little concerned that she wouldn’t have enough to eat, but she quietly prepared her totally vegan meal without much ado and enjoyed her meal and the day along with the rest of us. So good to see her, she’s a sweetheart!

Most of my Oklahoma family was there, except for one sister, she has issues with two other sisters, she’s the one who’s missing out. We weren’t raised to be that way, family is family, we‘re a pretty good bunch! We’re supposed to have a big reunion in June, hopefully lots of Texas family will be there too.

From 2016, second flush. I wish they always looked this good, second time around!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

All gorgeous pictures, Diane! Your Ebb Tide is fantastic! I have told my husband about your beautiful, healthy roses. He made the comment that Idaho has very good soil. He has a brother who lives in Coeur d’Alene.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Sara Ann, thanks, and your photo is just gorgeous--what a lovely blending of colors. I got a kick out of the mention of Coeur D'Alene, since that's in the panhandle of the state and hundreds of miles away. I've only been up there once, and it's beautiful with lots of trees and lakes. We're in the sagebrush desert, and these foothills have awful soil where I live. However, in the next county over where I used to live, the soil is fantastic, and farming is among the best in the US. Lots of seed and specialty crops are grown because with top soil you want the best profit. It's a world center for seed onion and corn, so all kinds of national seed companies are there, including the one that started it all in the early 30s, and has developed the sweet eating corn we enjoy today. It sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving with a big gathering of family. it's been a long time since I've had that since my family is gone. You are so lucky. I remember some of our great reunions, too. Yours will be wonderful. I think 2016 was an excellent rose year here, too. Diane

Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it!

Nanadoll, I think snow is coming Sunday for us...And wonderful photos!

Awesome photo Sara Ann!

4 years ago

Sara Ann, surely we must be distant cousins. Most of my family is in Oklahoma and Texas. And, we live close to Coeur d'Alene. When we lived in Spokane Valley I went to CdA to shop instead of downtown Spokane. Now we're north of Spokane, so CdA is a little farther. It was our intention to move to Idaho when we moved up here from CA. Love the colors in your photo from 2016.

Diane, no snow here, can you believe it! Spokane has gotten some but not us. Fingers crossed for the c. rotundifolia to not blow away. It said scatter with no soil on top. I just checked on the 3 orlaya seeds I planted in Oct, and they're still green and look like they're growing. Everything else is either brown sticks or black slime, so I am impressed at it's hardiness.

I never thought I needed Ebb Tide since I have Twilight Zone, but after seeing your photos, hmmm, maybe I do. It looks like a heavy bloomer. They're both Carruth, aren't they?

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

Thank you Diane. You’re doing something right to have such beautiful roses! That says a lot about your gardening expertise. That’s interesting about the next county over, and the great farming, etc.

I think there usually ends up being something good about every year, but some are better than others, and I do think 2016 was pretty good.

2015 was a good year too!

These are from 2015.

ALOHA

PEACE, LOVE SONG, BELINDA’S DREAM, SUNSPRITE, THE MCCARTNEY ROSE, LIEBESZAUBER, MME ISAAC PEREIRE and ZEPHIRINE DROUHIN

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

Thank you Jim!

flowers, I do have blood relatives in the Twin Falls area, a long ways from Coeur D’Alene. I would feel very fortunate to have success with Ebb Tide or Twilight Zone either one.

Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow your roses look outstanding Sara Ann! 2015 was a good year for sure!

Original Author
    4 years ago

I just created a NEW fresh thread everyone!

Click here: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5832178/fall-is-here-seasonal-thread-part-7

Thank you everyone for making these seasonal threads such a success!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Sara Ann, your border of multiple kinds of roses is so pretty. I love the colors all together. Aloha is just scrumptious. I've wanted to grow that one (no room) for years. You are so lucky to have it. My son in law's family lives in Rupert, Burley, and Twin Falls, Idaho (all close together), about 3 or so hours away from here by freeway. You go through a lot of ugly country (a mini Nullarbor Plain) to get to those towns, which are surrounded by outstanding farm country.

Oh darn, Flowers. We could have been fellow Idahoans, but I think you got the better end of the deal. And guess what? I'm a native Washingtonian, born in Vancouver, across the river from Portland in the first Kaiser Permanente Hospital just months after the end of WWII. My parents worked in the Kaiser shipyards during WWll, and they still had hospital benefits. Portland was my very first home. Sorry for all the history. Why did you chose Washington over Idaho--just curious? I've got some Orlaya seed that Lisa generously sent me, and I missed sowing in fall. So I guess I'll wait til spring. I'm a little worried about invasiveness, along with that Dara wild carrot, which is definitely overabundant.

Jim, we ended with more snow that I thought we'd get. It's still all over the grass and plants, but the roads are totally clear, and things are melting again. Thanks for your comment, and send us some snow photos when you get the stuff. Hope all is OK, under the circumstances, with you.

Trish, somehow I missed your wonderful post. I hope Rosie is doing well, and eats no more bees, or whatever it was, that caused the problem. I guess your mixed bag of roses is better than no roses at all, and it sounds like there is hope for some of them. You have made such an effort for those ingrate plants. How did your daughter's trip across the Nullarbor Plain turn out? Is she safe and sound? Or am I all mixed up again about her plans. Yesterday, the pigout continued with me, so I'm trying to restrain myself, as the leftovers start to lose their appeal--ha. Diane

Original Author
    4 years ago

I just created a NEW fresh thread everyone!

Click here: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5832178/fall-is-here-seasonal-thread-part-7

Thank you everyone for making these seasonal threads such a success!