SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim1961_gw

Doggie Days of Summer Seasonal Thread.... PART Six (6)

I've started yet another new [Summer[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/doggie-days-of-summer-seasonal-thread-part-two-dsvw-vd~5384518) thread...(LOL)

Hi everyone,

I can not wait to see everyones great rosy summer photos and read the awesome discussions!

Just have fun everyone!

Comments (196)

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I actually enjoy cutting grass but we do not have alot of it...lol...Really cool robot lawnmower! Awesome!

Wondeerful rose photo mossy44_z7bwa !

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

Mossy, where did you order your Versigny ?

• Related Discussions

Doggie Days of Summer Seasonal Thread.... PART TWO

Q

Comments (318)
    Darn smoke KRISTINE...Wonderful pics! NEW SUMMER THREAD HERE: [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/doggie-days-of-summer-seasonal-thread-part-three-dsvw-vd~5412219[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/doggie-days-of-summer-seasonal-thread-part-three-dsvw-vd~5412219) THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE GREAT PICS AND CONVERSATIONs IN THIS THREAD!
    ...See More

Doggie Days of Summer Seasonal Thread.... PART FOUR (4)

Q

Comments (162)
    Hi all -- Diane -- Hope you are being dramatic with language, "If I survive..." Prayers to you that you get well soon. I grow French Lace, and I can say with certainty that this rose seedling is not French Lace, thought it could be a parent - who knows? It's not a seedling I directed. Kristine -- you are making me want peaches peaches peaches. For our faculty retreat, we had an "iron chef" competition. Four professors as head master chefs, and all the faculty divided into four teams. Then each team under the iron chef made 3 dishes, plus beverages. We all ate amazing food. Afterwards, everyone was so exhausted, no one stayed for the film. I am going to bed now. Good time, but hard work. I mention this because one of the iron chef desserts included peach slices, some kind of chocolate ganache in the middle of the plate, and then somethign else on the side. When I got my little plate I had no fork, so just dipped a peach in the chocolate and was VERY HAPPY. No more from me for a while -- very busy week. Worried about my Dad. He may be having "issues" now. Wish he lived closer. Hope all of you are doing well and your gardens are thriving. :-)
    ...See More

SUMMER is here... Seasonal thread part 5

Q

Comments (105)
    Flowers, your bed sounds similar to mine with CdM x2, but I have Violet's Pride and soon Quicksilver for the lavenders and Heathcliff.. I hope to have CL, but am currently planting Jerabek's Peggy M and Star of the Republic . As it goes from fence to bridk wall, there's Lavender Crush next to Gold Blush. I love these colours and am so happy I found a place to incorporate into my yard away from the cool pinks that predominate my backyard plantings. These colours never appealed to me until recently! Go figure! I can't wait to see pics of yours. I'm hopelessly lost in this post, but wish everyone well. It just moves too fast and I feel bad if I miss anyone's post. Thanks again, Jim for keeping it up. Flowers, I will post pics of my 1st bloom on Nahema since she went in the ground. She's just growing her roots so not as impressive as the one I got last year when she was just a tiny cutting I grew up. Don't you adore her fragrance?It seems many dislike her holly-like leaves, but to me they are fascinating. Yay for different rose leaves! : )). As usual, click to enlarge. Nahema 2019: Nahema 2018:
    ...See More

SUMMER is here... Seasonal thread part 7

Q

Comments (155)
    Stop this thread--I want to get on! And the darn thing moves so fast I am dizzy. Rpnw, I just love your Emma Hamilton, which I looked up. She seems liked by many, and the photos on HMF were really lovely. How does your Emma stack up compared to Boscobel and Julia C (I grow both those and love them). I'm really considering getting Emma if I say bye bye to more annoying roses still in my garden. All your photos are great, but Emma really caught my eye. Katherine, your mystery Austin is quite luscious. I'm voting for Jubilee Celebration. I don't think she's PAoK. That luna moth photo you took is a stunner. How did you do it? I can barely photograph a honeybee. We have people on this thread who routinely photograph hummingbirds, which I can never catch, either. Trish, I hope your cold has bit the dust at last. I've had awful allergy problems this summer--the worst ever. Could your cold be allergies? I'm an itch and sneeze machine. Just sick of it.....Phyton is a copper based fungicide and bacteriocide, so I hope your technique works. Did the instructions recommend this? Might as well try everything. I don't think Phyton had any effect on insects in your garden because it's not an insecticide. Good luck--I truly hope you find some solution to the disease problem your roses have been plagued with. I'm glad Rosie is doing so well. How was your visit with your friend? I hope you didn't exhaust yourself with awful housework. Do like I do and eat a hot fudge sundae for dinner (I did that tonight). Lisa, it was so good to see Millie's photos with her looking like her old self. Hope you got a good nap. Princess Charlene is a beauty, and I'd be perfectly happy with your so called "plain" bouquet. Blondie, I love Big Purple in the center of all those luscious Limelight hydrangeas. I used to grow Big Purple and called my two Big Magenta, but yours has a lovely purple color. Falstaff is gorgeous, another rose I would love to grow. And those dahlias! Love them, and the incredible variety of plants you grow. Hope you had a great time at the in laws. What a fun packed summer. I'll continue this book length post tomorrow. Bear with me and sleep tight. Diane
    ...See More
  • mossy44_z7bwa
    5 years ago

Kristine, it is from Roses Unlimited.

5 years ago

Thanks Mossy

Original Author
    5 years ago

I hope everyone is doing well today! Sunny here with a temp of about 76 degrees...

• Ann9BNCalif
    5 years ago

Glad to hear you're finally getting some sun Jim. We've been in the high 70's but it's going to warm up to near 90 tomorrow. I hope the roses like it!

Here's a surprising rose - Spiced Coffee. I sent a message to the New Zealand rose society asking them to let me know if they think this is SC since it was created by Sam McCredy. On HMF most of the roses pictured are more similar to Koko Loco which would match the name. I got SC from Heirloom and it looks a bit like their one and only photo SC has a fairly strong fragrance and lasts a long time on the bush.

Any one have this rose and can comment?

The rose changes color from light to dark during the day, and as it ages. Day 1 is the bottom left rose, the last day is the rose next to it with colors resembling Double Delight.

Ann

Original Author
    5 years ago

I have no idea Ann but I like the colors of that rose!

Have a great day everyone!

This plant pooped out like a month ago so I cut it back... Its looking good now and starting to bloom again...

• jwusauk
    5 years ago

Robot lawnmower. Huh. Remembering for when teenage son moves out. Meanwhile, I got my first decent bloom from my baby Champagne Wishes, which also is in a lousy spot but put out a monstrously strong cane, on which it produced this. Not a strong smell, but a very nice one. Looking forward to the one behind it, too! Takes a long time for these to open. By the way, this little plant has less black spot than the surrounding mature Flower Carpets.

Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Baby Champagne Wishes is looking good jwusauk!

Sorry to say but I removed Julia Child and one Fiji rose today...I'll keep one Fiji just to see if it ever amounts to anything... (lol) Julia Child just does not like it here... Bad blackspot, downy Mildew, dies way back each winter...So its time is up...lol...

Plum Perfect started all this Downy Mildew mess so early next Spring it is getting moved to a different location by itself...First sign of DM troubles next year and its gone!

Our LI'L MISS SUNSHINE - BLUEBEARD - CARYOPTERIS shrub I planted this past May is dead! It did not like all our rain so I removed that also today! Poor thing stood in water way too much this year!...

Our zinnias I cut way back because leaves and blooms were just all browning/crisping...I do not expect it to grow back by the time we get our first frosts but who knows...lol

Basically we start getting hard frosts around mid October so that time is growing near!

We had a great season this year in spite of Downy Mildew so I'm still very happy!

Back yard roses still blooming away!

Next year I'll make the neccessary adjustments and move forward! :-)

I believe change can be good! If something is making me unhappy I'll correct it until I'm happy...lol....

Seems our climates are changing lately, so, new challenges will be popping up that wiil have to be dealed with from time to time!

All these challenges sure keep things from getting boring in the garden...lol...At least for me it does..lol

I feel good today...lol

• titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

I'm glad to hear you're so happy, Jim, and are happy with your garden season. Despite all the problems you've had, the roses in the photo above look very healthy.

jwusauk, the petals on your Champagne Wishes look very substantial. Love the look of it. It almost looks carved.

Ann, sorry, I have no idea what your rose is, but the colours don't fit the name.

Diane, what are you up to? When is that op? I'm sorry you've had such a disappointing year in the garden. It's a bummer when all that effort doesn't pay off - except to feed a lot of pesky deer and quail.

I have been bucketing my not stinky alfalfa tea around the place, and awaiting an explosion of basal growth! Being optimistic is better than the alternative, at any rate!

We had rain yesterday - actual rain. It rained steadily for about an hour and a half, and it was cool, so it didn't evaporate off. I was a bit sorry that I'd got so much pine bark mulch down recently, as, though mulch is great for keeping moisture in, a thick layer is pretty good at keeping it out. Still, it will seep down the very steep hill above me.

The two roses I ordered late in the season were very badly packed, and the fine roots were completely dried out. One rose looked DOA, and a few weeks later, still looks like that, so I rang yesterday and they are sending me a replacement. No fuss! It's Renae, and the fragrance is said to waft. The only roses I've ever had that did that were Mme Isaac Pereire and Felicia. Felicia's blooms looked ragged two hours after opening, and it never really thrived, so it is long gone. MIP is going to be removed this year. I've cut it back to stumps - long, bloody, job, but am going to let the stumps have a first flush before I say goodbye. I love the blooms, and the fragrance is delicious, but the shrub is a diseased, gangly, and huge, mess. And it didn't bloom much after the first flush, in the last few years.

flowers, I didn't have my pen on the ready last night, which is a pity, because he came out with a good one. I thought I'd memorised it, but my mind's a blank now, bother it.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    5 years ago

Jim, I thought of something when you mentioned your caryopteris standing in water. If you have the space and could use a rose to cover a fence, I betcha Peggy Martin, the Katrina rose, would do very well for you. It's claim to fame is that it stood in 2' of water for 2 weeks (or something like that) and survived.

Trish, I'm sorry and very surprised that MIP didn't work out for you. I was hesitant to plant her here, but she has proved to be happy - so far. Some roses can be such a surprise. When you're expecting a shrub, they climb or vice versa! Or get diseases that you hoped to never see.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks flowers but I do not think I want to deal with a climber here...But thank you for the suggestion....Who knows someday I might change me mind...lol

• toolbelt68
    5 years ago

Sounds like you all like the idea of a Robot lawnmower. Believe me, we worried our fool heads off from the day we purchased it to the day it started mowing. It was ‘ is this thing going to work?’. Boy were we surprised as our lawn always looks freshly mowed. No wheel tracks, dead grass laying around or anything like that it’s just smooth. Since it can handle up to 4 different areas we assigned 1 area per day so the grass only gets to grow a few days before it is cut again. Our areas are not that large so it only mows 1 hour per day. It even mows in the rain (we can turn that feature off so it will go back if it starts to rain).

jwusauk, after your son moves out, get one, name it your sons name so if someone calls and asks for him you can say ‘____’ is out mowing the grass and can’t be bothered!….. lol

Original Author
    5 years ago

Did you have to put underground wire around your property for the robot mower to work properly toolbelt68?

• jwusauk
    5 years ago

toolbelt, I will make sure to do as you say! LOL!

• jwusauk
    5 years ago

And Jim, you sure cleared out! Must feel good. I'm going to have to get rid of a lot of my peonies. Wretched, moldy things. I'll do it now, instead of in the Spring when I'm all excited about the shoots and have forgotten how awful they look 98% of the time. That's space for ROSES they're taking up. Sheesh.

• toolbelt68
    5 years ago

Jim, you run a wire around the edge of the area you want mowed, about 14 inches from the edge, using plastic pegs. You just hammer them into the ground about every 18 inches. Just enough to keep the wire from being sucked up and cut off. After a few weeks the grass grows over the pegs and wire so you don’t see it. My wire is now down in the dirt about 1 1/2 inches. The grass roots just keep pushing it downward. That being said one must make good decisions as to where they want the wire to be because moving it can be a real pain.

My wire is about 500 feet long so it’s a job putting it down but you only do it once.. lol A signal is put on the wire that the robot can detect so it knows when it goes ‘out of bounds’.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the explanation toolbelt68!

Today is our last decent temp day... It will sneak into the low 80's... Next 10 days following it will only be in the 60's by day and 40's/50's at night....I see a declining temp pattern...

Our bloomstrucks actually bloomed good this year...Crazy for just being planted this past late May...I can't wait until next year...lol...Hopefully the winter does not kill to much cane though...I pile lots of snow here so they should be ok....

Original Author
    5 years ago

Soon our season will come to a end....Depressing thought...lol

Luckily I'll always have blooms! lol...

5 years ago

Nice rose sleeves

Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Kristine!

Cool day...Mid 50's this morn...Had to wear a sweatshirt yesterday & today...lol

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Snapped these this morn...

5 years ago

Jim. Wow! Looking good !

Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Kristine!

So how is everyone???

Wife and I went to a local amusement park yesterday they actually have some great food! We had to wear long pants and sweatshirts... 69 degrees in the house this morn so our furnace will be coming on soon.... Gee not ready for that yet...lol

Carefree Celebration is glowing out there today with our cool weather...

Sitting here looking at old pics and just remembering..lol

Like the time I tried to overwinter Mister Lincoln on front porch but killed him dead...lol...I tried...

Here's how I watered Mister Lincoln

The time I visited a friend and seen a cat on next doors chimney...lol

Or the time I grew these zinnias out front and they reached 5ft+ high...lol

Or the time our side yard looked like this...lol

Remembering when our new dog and Lacey first become buddies back in 2014

remembering when we had the Thomas Affleck rose

• Ann9BNCalif
    5 years ago

Jim - Glad to hear you're able to get out and have some fun without dodging the raindrops! I love the Thomas Affleck photos and of course, your wonderful pets.

I'm enjoying these Japanese anemones which is such a great fall flower.

Ann

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Those anemomes are lovely, Ann. I wish I had room for some. Loved your other photos you just posted today. I'll comment there soon. Keep the gorgeous photos coming. You must live in an exceptionally rose friendly place.

Jim, what would we do without you? You have been the support and mainstay of this thread, and I appreciate it so much. I haven't been a good poster lately, having lots of health problems, appointments, and a lack of photos for the thread. But I check on everything daily. Your Thomas Affleck is so beautiful. Tell me again why you no longer grow him. Could you try again? I was sorry to see you had removed Julia Child. As you know,, she's one of my top favorites. but we all have reasons for shoveling a rose. For me, Brother Cadfael has seen better days--he wants to grow, but not bloom. But the beautiful photos I've taken of that rose over the years really make his removal difficult. Right now, he's a chopped down mess. Of all my original roses at this location, Evelyn, by far, has stood the test of time (not to mention being a deer favorite). She still loves to bloom. Anyway, I enjoyed your little photo trip down memory lane. Poor Mr Lincoln. But those zinnias were fabulous. We are running about the same temps as you with a warm up in day or so, thank heavens.

I traveled back up the thread just now looking at the wonderful photos. i have to comment on Kristine's Quietness rose--what a stunner, and the Coast photos were so enjoyable, too. Oregon is a state of great beauty and huge contrasts. (It was my first home during the first years of my life, and I've never stopped loving Oregon).

And mossy and erasmus, the Versigny photos were exquisite. What a rose

I'm not ready for nippy weather, but the trees are telling a different story. Lots of yellow trees and a few red ones are showing up. I just want the wretched locust trees to drop their leaves fast so my roses will get more sun.....By the way, autumn has begun, and calling this the summer thread probably needs a name change--ha. I am sad to see so many missing friends from this forum and thread. Kristine and Jim, maybe you could continue on sharing the lead on a fall thread. what do you think? You have been fabulous posters all summer--I know you can handle fall.

Diane

Original Author
    5 years ago

Nice Ann! Japanese anemones? I thought they were roses...lol...Nice!

Gee I hope your health improves Nanadoll! Julia Child just does not like it here... Seems we have the strains of blackspot JC is most vulnerable too....And JC does not overwinter well here...

Yep I'll do a fall thread if needed...lol

5 years ago

Diane, I am so sorry that you are having health problems

Dog gone it

This getting older stuff isnt for the faint of heart.

I went to the eye Dr today

Lets just say that I am grateful for each day with visiovision

I will never take my vision for granted.

Today I got my Heirloom in the ground. I have a bunch of short fencing that I circled around it to keep the dang dogs out and off of it

I didnt tell my husband but I removed one of the Hardy hydrangeas to make room. I was kind of sad but it bloomed for a month and didnt look like much the rest of the year. But it probaby bugs my husband that I toss away perfectly good plants.

Tomorrow, it is time to say goodbye to Savannah, Quietness gets her place. Sometimes she has fabulous blooms and mostly, misformed and weird

Jim, yes please do the fall thread

You have been such a great host

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Kristine, thanks for your commiseration about getting old (not you) and the attendant health problems. I've had some bad eye problems in the past myself, and continue to have some, so I can sympathize with you---it's no fun. I hope you can keep good vision. I had a detached retina not long after turning 50, and boy, I've never taken vision or health for granted since then.....I think giving Quietness a prominent place is a good decision. I saw a couple of your Savannah pics, with the weird centers--very strange. Don't be guilt ridden about the hydrangea, and I'm sure your husband won't notice, anyway. I got to thinking that I might blow more on lunch with a friend than I spend on a lot of plants--even some roses. And how long does lunch last, anyway? But back to the subject of hosting a fall thread--you could help Jim keep it moving. I think just having several people who regularly post photos is half the battle.

Jim, thanks for those nice comments. It's totally generous of you to take on the fall thread, but I think it's worth continuing, if you are willing. Now I hope some of our rose friends will slowly return (if Houzz will just function properly).

Diane

5 years ago

I had a detached retna too. Last summer.

I put hardy hydrangea it was actually a hybiscus. It is a pretty color but for most of the year, nothing

I do have 2 more amd your right, my husband will never notice lol

I go to the other site but there isnt much action.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

I've done in abysmal job keeping up with this thread! o many wonderful posts to respond to and gorgeous pictures. However, I really just wanted to pop in before the Fall thread begins to give my condolences to you Patty on your husband's passing. My heart really goes out to you and I hope that this little forum can bring you a smile from time to time and that your garden can bring you some measure of peace and happiness.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    5 years ago

Jim, that's good of you to offer to do the next thread - thank you.

Ann, that's a lovely photo of Japanese Anemones. What an incredibly blue sky.

Kristine, What a worry to have, about your sight. I'm glad you tossed the hibiscus for something you really wanted room for. Life is too short to put up with what we don't particularly want.

Diane, I so agree with you about the price of plants vs other things. I have tossed or killed loads of roses and other plants, but really, I've also bought clothes that I've hardly (occasionally never) worn, and they've cost several plants. I'm getting better at not spending on the clothes though!

Here is a crappy photo showing my cistus 'Silver Pink', and an osteospermum (African Daisy). The cistus was so lovely - for weeks and weeks. The photo doesn't do it justice, and for some unknown reason, I'm no longer able to crop my photos.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Case of the missing Hardy hydrangea hybiscus ...lol.... Goodbye Savannah! ....Hope Quietness fills the bill Kristine!

I have troubles with my Peripheral vision....The More stress I'm under the less I can see! So I try to stay positive and I try to quickly shake off my troubles... Yes at times in the past I almost totally lost my vision at times due to stress! Eyesight problems is Scary stuff!

Thanks and hi titian1! Nice flowers!

Cool, chilly and raining today with temps in the 50's... Rained yesterday also and I think its going to rain tomorrow...

Remembering when I first dug out a bed at the side for roses... (2015)

Notice the grass is scorched...That used to happen during normal years...lol...But now seems like more rain past couple of years...

Remembering Mister Lincoln rose (2013)

Remembering Sunrise at Heirloom rose (2013)

Remembering when Easy Does it was my favorite rose...lol...(2015)

Remembering when MOTH & JC were still small... (2016)

Forefront is Easy Does it...

remembering Prairie Harvest (2016)

remembering the D. ko's spring explosion....(2016)

remembering this darn grasshopper looking out of this Zinnia and saying "boy what do I want to eat today" lol (2016)

• jwusauk
    5 years ago

Such a lovely community here. I love your pictures and posts both. I have been noticing anemones lately and considering whether they are worth sacrificing Rose territory. Wish I had more space and time. Our heat came on in Massachusetts last night and we will soon be using the watering technique Jim used on Mr. Lincoln. Here’s what’s blooming today. Kashmir:

Flower Carpet Amber. My husband couldn’t believe this was a flower carpet rose. He’s including this picture in his talk at work today.
    All the Rage. Doing great in its first year, even though I didn’t plant it well. Tried to fix some air pockets today.
    Red Cascade. I realize this structure would be laughably small for this plant in the south, but I’m anticipating a lot of winter die-back.

Of course, the Flower Carpet Pink Supremes are still flowering their heads off and obscuring everything else.

Best of health to all, and peace. And roses.

5 years ago

Jwusauk, your Kashmir is a stunning red. And your carpet roses are wonderful.

• jwusauk
    5 years ago

Thanks, Kristine!

Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for sharing your wonderful pics jwusauk1 :-)

988888888888888888888888888ty Sorry our cat Cagney stepped on the keyboard...lol

• Ann9BNCalif
    5 years ago

Diane - I'm glad you're keeping Evelyn! Mine is finally starting to take off. I think next year she's really going to shine!

A friend of mine came over and said that mine is a lot more orange than his. I think it's supposed to be orange, correct?

Jim - I used to love it when my kitty would step on a key. It produced some pretty funny messages! Thanks for doing the Fall thread!

Titian - your Cistus is lovely! I just love when a flower like my Japanese anemone lasts for a really long time. Mine can go from early Sept to late October sometimes. Our skies here can be intensely blue and cloudless. My husband always remarks when there are clouds of any kind because he misses them!

jwusauk - Your Kashmir is quite pretty! The Japanese anemones come in different sizes so you might consider getting the small ones if space is an issue. It comes in white, light pink, and dark pink.

My dahlias keep blooming!

Hope this post goes through this time!

Ann

• Ann9BNCalif
    5 years ago

Whew! It posted so here are a couple more dahlias.

I'm kinda bad at growing things in pots and I'm trying to get better so I'm proud I got these things to grow!

Ann

• Ann9BNCalif
    5 years ago

Also wanted to share this pot-grown rose - Black Baccarra which wasn't near death but was floundering. It's seems happy now.

Ann

5 years ago

Ann, love you BB, cool color.

Your dahlias are fabulous!

I am growing a Blue boy and it has turned in to a monster

Next year I will be better prepared to tie it to a trellis.

Adios Savannah, small tear. I now have a perfect place for Quietness

Today and the rest of the week it is going to be hot, 90 and up so I will wait until it cools off to plant.

I took out a bunch of ugly cannas

I have a couple that I love and a few that are just ugg. So, that opened things up a bit.

I have anenomies but Not the Japanese variety. Those are what I thought I was planting so I will be on the lookout for that variety

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    5 years ago

Especially love your African Daisy, Trish. I've never seen it in that color. My favorite color in the garden.

You've have some beautiful roses over the years, Jim. Fun seeing your rose beds evolve over the years. Cagney's kitty scribble is just telling us that she wants to host the fall thread. I bet she can type with all four feet - cats are smart like that - and would delight us with what she has to say.

Jwuseuk, I have only seen Kashmir in catalogs. Very, very nice! I don't even remember anyone here having it, but I'm sure I'm wrong about that.

Ann, all your flowers are beautiful, but I'm drawn to velvety Black Baccarra. I think it would be a difficult color to photograph, but this is really lovely. I'm curious to know what you have planted near him.

I hear you, Kristine! I learned a few things this year to be ready for next spring. I've never had to stake irises before, but they flopped before I got stakes in the ground. I'll be ready next spring. And, I'm stocking up on stockings from the $ store to tie roses to arbors, trellises and such. Knee highs, cut in strips are just right. Black for wrought iron, white for porch railing, etc. Better than anything at the garden center.

• Ann9BNCalif
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone!

flowers - BB is all alone in a giant pot sitting on the patio. He can be a bit blackish red but still velvety.

Ann

5 years ago

Gee, BB is so dark and velvety.

Flowers, good idea on the ties.

We put a big beefy stake for the dahlia to keep it upright

Im so surprised that it still sent canes bending all over the place

Original Author
    5 years ago

Not sure whats going on but had to switch to internet exployer to get this rose forum to work... Wow crazy! Rose forum will not work with my Google Chrome...

Nice red Ann!

Here's Earthsong after 3 days of straight rain... alittle droopy but hangin in there.. :-)

Original Author
    5 years ago

Remembering our Gracie with the genius look...lol

Remember these darn Morning Glories...lol....Seedlings still are popping up so there hard to forget...lol

Remembering this Prairie Harvest bloom..(2016)

Trying to remember why I planted a tomato plant with the roses...LOL

Remembering when we had all flowers out front... (2015)

Remembering our dog Candy (passed in 2014) Black & White...

Rememembering the mix of flowers in the rose bed... (2015)

Remembering the pink party bus...lol

Remembering the old Dogwoods...

Remembering taking out the old Dogwoods...lol

Original Author
    5 years ago

OK I STARTED A NEW FALL THREAD EVERYONE! Thanks all!

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/fall-is-upon-us-seasonal-thread-dsvw-vd~5492317

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

How fast it all went--not just this past summer, but all those years, Jim. I remember some of your 2015 photos, even. I love that colorful mix of annuals you grew, and I still think you are the marigold King. Why did you remove all those dogwoods--ugh what a job? Your dog Candy looks like a sweetie, and I am sorry for your loss. Candy had lots of fun with Gracie right up till the end, and that's a good thing. Lastly, how can I forget the Pink Party Wagon?? We should use it more in the coming season. How is your Mom doing? Very well, I'll bet. And thanks for the start of a new thread. I certainly hope Houzz shapes up and lets you use Chrome.

Ann, your Black Baccara is stupendous. Golly gee, I hate using those over-the-top adjectives, but BB is an over-the-top rose. I wish I could touch those velvety petals.

My memories of summer are deer, too much shade for roses, and drought. We still stand at 7 inches of precipitation for the year. September is now the third driest Sept on record (since 1886). Some good things to report: now that the dreadful locust trees are losing their leaves, and sun is shining through the branches, my elderly Evelyns are popping some of the most beautiful blooms I've seen on the big E. Those roses were waiting to bloom with lots of stored energy.....I'm really enjoying Rouge Royale blooms, all of which I've picked over the last few weeks for bouquets (yaya deer). They last a long time, and the scent is lovely. I noticed that RR blooms darken almost immediately after picking, and I like the darker color.

See you all on the fall thread. Diane

Original Author
    5 years ago

I'll answer you in the new fall thread vccccccccccccklllllllllllllllllllllllll yh Nanadoll...

ooops Cagney on keyboard again...lol

OK I STARTED A NEW FALL THREAD EVERYONE! Thanks all! https://www.houzz.com/discussions/fall-is-upon-us-seasonal-thread-dsvw-vd~5492317

• maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
    5 years ago

Wow! Almost missed this walk down memory lane. Last time I was here Jim was showing off his personal rosy decor. Saw the new thread today and started there. Glad I decided to take one last look here, so much i would have missed! Thank you all.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10!

Catch everyone in the new thread! Thanks all for posting pics and conversation!

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/fall-is-upon-us-seasonal-thread-dsvw-vd~5492317