SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mountain_mist

Kitchen layout advice

mountain_mist
4 years ago

We are building a semi-custom (right name?--builder’s plan but changes allowed) home in a few months here in Virginia. It is a single level home with basement and it’s just the 2 of us empty-nesters with occasional guests. I am the cook and DH does clean up. The kitchen is a wide galley with a peninsula, 12’ wide and 13’ long, and 9’ ceiling. The plan calls for peninsulas at each end, but I like it better removing the one (see my attempt at floor plan). It has a corner sink, which I like, having stood at a couple of similar models, but in a home we toured was put next to the dishwasher (see photo). It seemed cramped so I put a small cabinet there for some extra room (not sure it’s enough space or big enough to be useful). Some things I’d like: Standard 30-33” refrig recessed into wall, site built pantry 36-42”, 30” electric range (convection?), about 30” sink, mostly drawers in base cabs.

The peninsula has either a raised eating bar or 36” height bar (haven’t decided). The sink could also go on the peninsula with a corner cabinet and then the DW—not sure. Looking straight from the peninsula is the dining room, to the right is the family room, in front of the kitchen is a “nook” we’ll use with a couple of swivel chairs & table to read, have coffee, watch birds. Our main access will be from the rear hallway to mud room & garage.

This is a rough idea of the layout—looking for suggestions to make it better. Can the DW even go next to the range? Would the sink be better elsewhere? What size cabinets to put where? I’ve marked off measurements as cabinets, but I think pretty much anything here is movable except that the walls are both load bearing. Thanks so much!

Comments (5)