SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
two25acres

Have you noticed price increases at Goodwill?

two25acres
4 years ago

I've shopped Goodwill for years. At first it was about Christmas decorations for our new home 15 years ago. Then it was wool clothing for blankets followed by sweatshirt hoodies and jean jackets that I repurpose into jean-hoodies. Of course over the years I've found my share of good deals both clothing, utensils, a brand new Dyson vacuum etc. I frequent a couple of different stores, one in a fairly large (to me) city and another at the outskirts of a very expensive community. I went this past weekend for leggings and long sleeve tshirts for around the house. $6.99 for a pair of jean leggings. About $2-3 higher than I've paid in the past.

I've also been doing the online shopgoodwill auction for more than 20 years. Over the course of time I have secured some very good deals and as long as you know your prices good deals can be had there. Recently though there are a couple very large stores making their presence on the auction and their start prices are sometimes as high as the original store tage prices. Add in their shipping and handling charges and they are too the moon. Does Goodwill really think those of us that shop there and the auction are doing it to donate to thier mission. That's another thing, every item I bid on I'm asked to round up to support the cause. You go to the store and at the register your asked if you'd like to round up to support the cause. I'm supporting the cause by being there, by buying on the auction.

I'm not a casual buyer on the auction. I spend about 3 hours on Saturday mornings scoping clothing for both myself and my husband, shoes, kitchen ware, appliances, home and garden items, tools, certain pieces of jewelry, seasonal items and anyting NIB - new in box or NWT - new with tags.

Sorry for the long rant, basically I'm asking if you've noticed higher prices at Goodwill.

Comments (27)

• wildchild2x2
    4 years ago

Goodwill may be listed as a non profit but they have a lot of employees to pay. With several areas of the country voting in higher minimum wages prices go up, EVERYWHERE. Not just in the areas where progressives think they can increase a "standard of living" for those who work at minimum wage. The money to pay those employees has to come from somewhere and it is the consumer who takes the hit including the consumer who works at the minimum wage job if they can keep it.

two25acres thanked wildchild2x2
  • lucillle
    4 years ago

I'm not a casual buyer on the auction.

And many others are not either. I have heard that it is the place to go for vintage stereo equipment and vinyl records with equipment ending up selling many times for hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars.

As well, there is a lot of attention in auctions for higher end bicycles, jewelry, and fashion. I think that over the years, various collectors and resellers have scoped out the auctions so it is no wonder that prices have risen. Goodwill realizes you are not shopping to support their mission, and I suppose you are finding out that they are not selling to support yours.

two25acres thanked lucillle
  • Related Discussions

Have you noticed?

Q

Comments (2)
    I have heard good things about chilly palm. I think he came up as far north as N.J. this year. I wouldlike to get a nice big needle palm.
    ...See More

Have you noticed that..........

Q

Comments (9)
    Here's some more patterns for you... http://www.thechocolatecrowtrader.com/free_pattern_archive.htm Scroll down on this one and there's a whole list of free patterns... http://www.debbiescountry.homestead.com/crafts.html http://www.dianescrafts.com/ http://www.craftsayings.com/projects/index.shtml http://www.freefamilycrafts.com/ http://www.angelfire.com/planet/mcshelpsite/sewingstuff/freepatterns.html/#child http://americanprim.blogspot.com/ Lot's of free woodpatterns here... http://www.countrycornercrafts.com/autumn.html http://www.craftideas.info/ http://www.freecraftz.com/gallery.html http://rubyglen.com/crafts.htm http://www.patternpage.com/freepatterns.htm http://cweb.snip.net/CountryCupboard/craftrecipes.htm http://base.google.com/base/search?authorid=1211815&hl=en&gl=US http://www.homeberries.com/Everyday/FreePrimitiveEveryDay.html http://www.dolls-on-parade.com/free_patterns.htm These are some that I had saved in my favorites. Hope these help you out. Happy Crafting, Cheri
    ...See More

Manufacturers can't measure - vent- have you noticed?

Q

Comments (4)
    Sounds like they are doing the same thing that they do to clothes. I know I'm NOT a size 6, yet in one store that is the size I have to get. In the next store it might actually be a 12 and I have no idea what shoe size I am from one store to the next and even one brand to another. Now for my DH, all he has to do is locate the length and the waist and it is always the same! I'm going to be a man in my next life so clothes shopping will be easier!
    ...See More

What creative things have you done to increase storage space?

Q

Comments (24)
    Hi Colleen! I would love to see pictures as you go through your master bath remodel! I'll eventually be remodeling my main bathroom and the 1/2 bath in the master. In the main bath I'm taking out the tub/shower surround and replacing with a "petite" claw foot tub, no shower. New toilet, new vanity/sink, and a small baker's rack for extra storage. Putting in a medicine cabinet/mirror, frosting the window so I don't need a window treatment, and a new towel rack. Also new flooring, paint, fan, light. I'm not sure what I'm doing in the 1/2 bath, except I know I'm stealing a little room from the bedroom to put in a walk-in shower. SO...I'd love to see your progress and hear about the whole experience! Do you have colors and flooring, etc. picked out yet? Haha! Cathy--so true about the garden tub. :-)
    ...See More
  • bengardening
    4 years ago

I agree with you Terilyn, That's why I don't shop there. I support the smaller thrift stores in my town that help the handicapped and others that need it.

two25acres thanked bengardening
  • Michael
    4 years ago

I just viewed the Form 990 for Goodwill Industries and the CEO doesn't receive 2 million a year.

two25acres thanked Michael
  • sjerin
    4 years ago

I completely disagree with you, Watchme. Trying to bring people who are working like crazy up from poverty starts somewhere, and this is it.

two25acres thanked sjerin
  • nicole___
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Back when I was a kid, Goodwill prices were the same as sale racks @ the mall. Now....they have so much merchandise to move, they keep the prices pretty low. They DO misprice items occasionally, so does Habitat-Restore. I'm getting name brands, like new, for next to nothing.

I paid $4 for these boots Coach handbag $25

two25acres thanked nicole___
  • greenshoekitty
    4 years ago

Price’s have raised at my goodwill over the last two or three years.quite a lot. And they won’t take furniture any more( don’t sell it except for things like foot stools). Did you know that if you are buying on line, you can( or at least could) avoid shipping costs if you have it shipped to your local store? My daughter used to buy lots of china and stuff and she saved lots that way.

two25acres thanked greenshoekitty
  • arcy_gw
    4 years ago

Not unlike Walmart they boxed out a lot of "local" thrift shops. When you have the corner on the market you can increase your prices. Ours takes furniture of all sorts. They regularly have a "$.99" sale to clear it all out. They do not include the brand new off season cast offs they get from Big Box stores.

two25acres thanked arcy_gw
  • arkansas girl
    4 years ago

They do offer percentages off for all sorts of things, seniors, do you have a library card etc etc. We just went the other day and the cashier named off probably a half dozen or more things they accept to give us a discount. We also get a coupon for 25% off each month in a mailer.

I hardly shop there though, I have found their prices to be very high for what they have there. I never find new expensive designer type items there at our Goodwill. I'm sure they do get these from time to time, but I have never found any. I find them to have racks and racks and racks of a bunch of old worn out clothing, in my humble opinion, not hardly fit to wear anymore! If the clothing was mine and I was doing a declutter, I would throw it in the trash! YET, they want us to pay some $3.00 for an old T shirt with stains and holes in it. I don't think so!

Going to garage sales is much more lucrative, at least around our area. I also find that the restore store is very expensive for old worn out JUNK!!!!!

two25acres thanked arkansas girl
  • Michael
    4 years ago

The two Goodwill stores near me are in upscale neighborhoods. They don't accept any junk or poor condition items. There is no self serve drop off, every item is screened prior to acceptance. Any item in poor condition must be tossed because I've never seen any junk on the shelves. I'm sure the offerings reflect the neighborhood standards in MOST cases.

If they pay high rent, item prices will be higher. Makes sense.

If you're seeking an expensive designer item or Ethan Allen piece, you have to be there when it hits the floor, not a few days later. I know people who visit there daily looking for a certain item to appear.

two25acres thanked Michael
  • User
    4 years ago

I rarely buy anything from a second hand store. RARELY. They receive every single item by donation so any money they earn is 100% profit. Yes they have rent to pay and staff to pay (most often minimum wage) but that's all tax deducted. We have a store here called Value Village. They claim to donate a small portion to charity. It's a wee teeny tiny microscopic amount of money. The owner of the company owns a yacht. Mansion. Airplane, etc., all on DONATED OVER INFLATED ITEMS. I've seen original price tags from the $1 store on the item, yet they'll put their own on that is more than the original price. I would rather go to garage and yard sales and give the money back to the person who bought the product in the first place.

two25acres thanked User
  • two25acres
    Original Author
    4 years ago

greenshoekitty, your right about avoiding the shipping by picking up at the store but not all stores are on the auction. I've even asked some of the stores I have shopped if they are on the auction, I'm amazed when they tell me they are not familiar with it. I have actually gotten some large items from stores in other states. We went to Indiana for an overnight trip recently, I was watching an auction for a log splitter in Michigan, I worked with the store for pick up and they were kind enough to hold the item for me until we could pick it up.

There are some stores that have fabulous furniture deals, Nashville being one of them.

• quasifish
    4 years ago

Years ago I bought a Nordic Track at GW. We stopped in often and this particular store always had a lot of exercise equipment- it was also right next door to 24 Hour Fitness. The staff told us that all the donations were processed through a central location in the city and then routed out to whichever stores were likely to sell it for a decent price. They laughed about how much exercise equipment they sold there- often to people coming from the gym. So anything dropped off behind the building went to the city for a sort, not directly into the store. I'm guessing a lot of them still do this, particularly near large urban areas.

We have a couple of GWs in our area and there is one on the side of the freeway that has the highest prices and also the best merchandise. The shirts they sell for $6 or $7 are well worth it. Then you head into town to a less accessible GW and clothing is not quite the same quality, but also cheaper. The rest of the merchandise follows suit. So for us anyway, prices and merchandise seem to depend on specific location.

two25acres thanked quasifish
  • Jasdip
    4 years ago

As Debby said, Value Village is one of the most popular second-hand stores here. Their jeans are typically $12. Hubby refused to buy them at that price when he could buy new at Costco for $15.

I do shop VV on Tuesdays when seniors (I think it's 60 yrs old) get 30% off. That's a good deal. I bought a few yoga pants, capri shorts etc for my exercise classes recently at good prices, and the 30% off.

But yes, their prices are too high for the most part.

two25acres thanked Jasdip
  • Adella Bedella
    4 years ago

My local GW is more upscale. It's better than many we've been in. We occasionally find things there. I bought a a Dooney and Bourke purse and wallet there for I think $25 this summer. Dd finds clothes for costumes there. I don't go a whole lot because I really don't need a whole lot.

two25acres thanked Adella Bedella
  • Jasdip
    4 years ago

I haven't bought new clothes in years. The quality is horrific, everything so thin. I'd rather buy shoddily made clothes for $4 instead of $40 LOL

What's popular are people buying good items (clothing to purses) at thrift stores and re-selling them on Kijiji for much more money than they paid. It's turned into a business.

two25acres thanked Jasdip
  • DawnInCal
    4 years ago

The one near me has always been what I consider on the high end of second hand pricing. Shirts range from $3.99 to $6.99. Jeans are in the $6.99 - $9.99 range. A few months ago, I was looking for a watering can and found one at GW. It was priced higher than a new one from Home Depot. It helps to have some knowledge of retail pricing in order to determine if one is getting a good deal in the thrift stores.

I know that I can find new tshirts cheaper at Walmart and some of the other big retailers than I can at GW, but I also know that I will not be able to find a brand new, tags still on, leather jacket for $5 at any of the big retailers. Nor, will I come across a brand new London Fog down parka at WM for $5.

Besides finding great deals like that, I enjoy the thrill of the hunt as well as knowing that thrifting helps keep perfectly good items from going to the landfills.

In addition to shopping at GW, I also like to go to the smaller, more local
    shops. Based on how busy the stores are, it seems like there is room for
    both GW and the little guys, at least in my area. It's interesting - I go to the mall and it's deserted; I go to the thrift stores and they are packed with shoppers.

two25acres thanked DawnInCal
  • socks
    4 years ago

I think their prices are a little high, but they do employ people who need a paycheck. I actually prefer local thrift ships but do Goodwill occasionally.

two25acres thanked socks
  • marilyn_c
    4 years ago

It seems to differ depending on the area. Stopped at a Goodwill in one of the small towns in east Texas...I can't remember if it was Jasper or another town. Everything was very reasonable. The one in Alvin started a new pricing protocol that made most stuff cheaper...some a little higher. Others in larger towns seem to have higher prices.

two25acres thanked marilyn_c
  • lily316
    4 years ago

I never shop our Goodwill or SA because we have a fabulous store called Community Aid. It's like a big department store and I buy all brand name clothes there like Eddie Bauer, Gap, R.lauren, Columbia, Talbot, J Jill , Banana Republic, JCrew, and on the senior day nothing cost me more than $3. ALL the proceeds these shops make go to local groups like humane society, boy/girl scouts. They have original one at our old Super Petz which is big and now have many all around plus bins in strategic places. I donate everything there. Great perfect clothes and the money stays here.

two25acres thanked lily316
  • Lars
    4 years ago

Won't be shopping at Goodwill in Jasper, Texas, but I have been to Revivals in Cathedral City, mainly because I wanted to make donations. However, once I got inside I was extremely impressed with the quality of their merchandise and began to wonder if they would even accept my donations. I did schedule a truck for them to pick up some of my excess furniture in Cathedral City the Monday after Thanksgiving, and I will also be donating some clothes, but I also want to buy more bathing suits there. The last bathing suits I bought at a thrift store were on Maui.

two25acres thanked Lars
  • lovemrmewey
    4 years ago

I understand that the Goodwill stores in my area never sell donations in the areas where donated. Must not be the case in most areas, based on what I see here.

two25acres thanked lovemrmewey
  • graywings123
    4 years ago

My Goodwill just announced they are stopping the 20% off coupons they give when you donate.

I haven't noticed price increases. I notice that pricing varies from store to store within a geographic area.

two25acres thanked graywings123
  • DawnInCal
    4 years ago

Reading the different practices of GW's throughout the country makes me wonder - the one I shop at most does 50% off the store on all major holidays. The place is a madhouse on those days. For those of you who shop GW, do your stores offer 50% off on holidays?

two25acres thanked DawnInCal
  • nickel_kg
    4 years ago

I don't shop GW very often, but I did today. Got a nice pair of jeans that look and fit exactly how I like them, for $7. If I remember correctly, I used to pay $5.

two25acres thanked nickel_kg
  • greenshoekitty
    4 years ago

We have colored tags on things. Each week a colored tag is half off till sunday, then it becomes 1.99 for 2 days. tue. is 10% off 60 and above. two or 3 times a year they have a 50% store wide sale, and you get a 30% coupon when you donate( must use in a month) Once a year they have a 10, 20, 30 40, and 50% sale ( each tag color is a different %. Also there is the school age, service men and etc days each week.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor