SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_jean_brown

What creative things have you done to increase storage space?

Debbie B.
8 years ago

Manufactured home designs make excellent and efficient use of space, which is one reason people fall in love with them. However, as we all know, that efficiency comes at a price, namely storage space. Where DO you store the Christmas tree and all those ornaments? Where does the vacuum cleaner go? What about the good set of china your grandmother left you?

I'd like to hear what all you amazingly imaginative people have done to create more storage space in your MH! An addition to the house or storage sheds/out buildings don't count. I'm talking about in your actual MH, with no additions, how have you found ways to create places to put your stuff? Bonus points for finding inexpensive ways to do it on a budget!

I've recently gotten excited about re-purposing dressers. This idea is not original to me. In the 1979 SW MH I just bought, there is literally no storage space in the main bathroom. It consists of a toilet, tub/shower combo, and sink/counter. The counter has three small drawers and a cupboard where the plumbing is, under the sink. That's it. No cabinets, no linen closet, nothing. What the previous owner did was to take an old (as in 20 yrs.) Sears dresser with 2 small top drawers and two big drawers and make it into a linen storage space. She painted it to match the bathroom walls, and she also set one of those top shelf things on it, creating more vertical space. It fits perfectly in the bathroom in what would have been wasted space. I bought it from her and also bought the one in the half bath.

In the kitchen/dining area, the lack of storage space is horrible. There are just a few cabinets, cupboards, and drawers, and maybe 4' of counter space. If you don't have a lot of dishes and cookware, and you're organised, you can just fit it all in. Of course, that leaves no pantry space for dry goods or paper/cleaning stock. The previous owners addressed this issue with a hideous white plastic rolling cart and two awful free standing bookshelves made with unfinished lumber, as in you get a sliver every time you take something down from the shelf, and no back. This is unacceptable to me. There also is completely inadequate counter space for food preparation.

So, once again I turned to dressers. I'm going to reverse things and keep my food in the cabinets and cupboards. I have a very long, low dresser in a beautiful dark mahogany. That is going to sit against the back wall between the dining room and living room, going along with my open plan. This dresser will become my china cabinet and will house my dinnerware, dishes, glasses, etc., along with kitchen and dining linens.

For my pots and pans and all my cookware, I'm going to fabricate an island using--you guessed it--another dresser. I will need to build a pedestal to make it tall enough, and I'll put locking castors on it so it can be easily moved if need be. I will get a top for it that will be a rectangle 6-12" longer on each side (I still have to measure). The top can be as cheap as plywood or as fancy as granite, depending upon my budget. Ideally, I hope to find a slab about the right size that's been reclaimed from a tear down for a fraction of the price of new. I'll affix it to the top of the dresser and voilà! A beautiful island with storage space for the price of a used dresser, scrap counter top, and plywood for the base, plus castors, paint, and glue.

Bonus points for finding an inexpensive solution! For around $3,000, I could buy a nice hutch, free standing pantry, and an island, but my dresser solution will cost around $300!

The beauty of using old dressers is you can easily update them using paint or other decorative finishes. Not only do they provide much needed storage space, they add beauty to your home, whatever your style of decor is!

So...what things have YOU done to increase storage space in your Manufactured Home?

Comments (24)

Sponsored