SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

The One Thing (I would have done differently)

Carrie B
8 years ago

Actually, it’s probably the *biggest* thing I would have done differently. Aren’t there always those little things that we think, now, why didn’t I think about that? Or, in my case, why didn’t I ask the GW geniuses about this? I love my kitchen. I’m thrilled with the way it turned out, and I know that I would not have nearly the kitchen I have without you all.

Before remodel, my kitchen was a small, dark, dingy space with very little storage. Before I thought about function, I wanted a prettier, brighter space with more storage & outdoor views. My compromises & debates were largely about balancing storage & views to outside.

I got everything I wanted, and, because of GW, I even have a functional kitchen. How awesome is that?

Here’s where I could have gone a different route: I have more storage than I need.

Oh, sure, I’ll be able to fill those cabinets with new, unnecessary objects, but I’ve already brought my seldom used kitchen items up from the basement and spread stuff out and I still have extra upper cabinet space, not to mention extra pantry space.

I could have easily lived without the cabinet over the dishwasher & made the sink window 12-14” wider and added trim all around. It would have opened up the house even more & let in more light. Right now, the only way to really look out the sink window is to stand right in front of the sink - the cabinets jut out to block the view on either side. I would have saved $ on the cabinet & added $ for the size window & reinforcement, so maybe that would have been a wash.

I hesitated before posting this - like that somehow putting words to something I could have done differently would negate how wonderful my kitchen is - to me and to the GW world. That it would make me acknowledge that it’s not 100% perfect. But I thought maybe this could be a useful cautionary tale to others. Sometimes, we don’t need as much storage space (or as much stuff) as we think we need.

Feel free to add your “One Thing.”

Comments (153)