SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

Francophiles? Are you out there?

User
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I've traveled many times to the UK and other parts of the globe, but have never been to France. Every now and then, I'll see or read something that sparks my interest and I begin to fantasize about going. I dig deeper, and before I know it, I'm a bit immersed in "all things French." And then life keeps happening and I return to regular programming.

But I'm in "Interested in France" mode again, and keep thinking about going. I am going to England this coming spring with my mother, but that will not be the time to tack on a visit to France; that just wouldn't work for a number of reasons. I'm not sure DH would ever have an interest in going with me, and I'm not sure I'd ever be confident enough to go on my own. I don't believe I would enjoy going with a tour group, as that's just never been my thing. (Even being with the same 30-odd people on our mission trip to Panama became drudgery at times -- I'm much too introverted to enjoy being "on" with others for extended periods.) So that said, I don't know if I'll ever go, BUT ... if I were to ... where would you suggest going and staying for the very first time? Paris? Elsewhere?

How easy is it to travel in France without speaking the language? I mean, I can say "Le Crueset" properly, and that's about it. ;-)

What is your overall impression of "all things French?" How were you treated by the French people? I've heard from some people that they found them standoffish and rude, while others have said their experience was the complete opposite, and they were treated kindly and helpfully everywhere they went.

And lastly, do French women really have that certain je ne sais quoi as rumored? Are they, as a whole, really effortlessly lovely? Their does seem to be an inner confidence in so many of them; a self-assuredness that I have always found intriguing. Or is that just me buying into the stereotype?

A number of years ago I traced my ancestry and learned that some of my forebears were French Huguenots. Perhaps it's somewhere in my DNA, then ...this interest and sometimes-fascination.

Comments (30)

• nutsaboutplants
    4 years ago

It’s not hard to travel without knowing French, but the French do expect at least an effort on the Americans’ part and don’t react well to any trace of an assumption that they should respond to questions in English thrown at them. Do throw in “s’il vous plait” and “bon jour” to communicate your desire to speak their language despite your inability. Just my two cents.

Paris can’t be rushed. It’s like a child or puppy that comes and claims your lap and expect to be loved . And you’ll love it more than you can Imagine. make sure you plan your museum visits ahead to avoid long lines. Other than Paris, where would you like to go? Nice? Provence?

• Sueb20
    4 years ago

I love Paris! We have been twice, once with kids and once without. The supposed rudeness was NOT evident to me at any time. I can only recall one time when I felt like a waiter was a little unfriendly but that can happen anywhere. Of course keep in mind that I came from Boston, where we’re used to a certain degree of social indifference!

No need to speak French in Paris. In Europe in general, I’ve found that in the major cities, almost everyone speaks English — at least enough for me to ask directions or order a meal. Once you get to the more rural areas, it can be harder to communicate if you don’t know the language.

Honestly, I felt like there was a mix of stylish and unstylish people there, pretty much like in any city.

We are thinking about going back in the Spring. It’s been 10 years since we’ve been, which is hard to believe.

• Related Discussions

OT wondering what you all do when you can't get out in the gardens.

Q

Comments (39)
    They are indeed Hedgehogs, Signet. DIL chose the pattern...reason little one was all scrunched up in her ultrasounds every time...so they called her "Hedgie". Each of those squares was 30 individual pieces, so it was a bit of pressure to get it done in the two weeks before her shower. The book quilt was to honor my daughter's graduation with a BSN. She has been an RN for 10 years, and she is currently working full time and in school to become a nurse practitioner. I actually enjoyed designing that bookshelf quilt and kind of hated finishing it.. There is one column of blocks that doesn't show in this photo, and other details like a coffee cup with her name and a book showing collectible shoes since she collected the glass miniatures at one time. this kind of quilt should become a heirloom. I did the clock twice because the first time it didn't look right and spent a day doing the stethoscope block. Fun though...Mantis, DIL likes pink s and purples for the girls thus the colors. Glad y'all liked them. kay
    ...See More

Have you made any plans for when you can get out and about again?

Q

Comments (45)
    Nope. My life hasn't changed much. I value my personal space anyway so I try to keep my distance from people naturally. And we dont go many places in normal life. We like being home with each other. I do need my roots done and my ends cut, but I keep my hair long anyway so having it longer than normal isnt an annoyance to me. I am looking forward to people being less on edge and less rude in general when the restrictions are lifted. And I am looking forward to being able to buy stuff I need when I need it,not when the hoarders run out of money.
    ...See More

Shee! Come out come out wherever you are.

Q

Comments (1)
    I was thinking about her recently too, hope all is well.
    ...See More

Are you still wearing a mask when you go out among people?

Q

Comments (109)
    "Me wearing a mask protects others, not me ... I have been innoculated plus I have the antibodies." Partially right........But why don't you care about protecting others from a highly contagious disease that might leave them sick for years and years to come? Regardless, here's why you're only partially right: Protecting others is also necessary for protecting yourself. The more other people that become infected with Covid, the more opportunity the virus has to mutate. The more the virus mutates, the less likely it is that the vaccinations (and especially natural immunity) will continue to protect us. I'm sure you can see that's particularly important when it comes to transportation hubs and methods, where people from a bunch of different places with a range of different immunity mix. It's not over anywhere, until it's over everywhere.
    ...See More
  • Mimou-GW
    4 years ago

I don’t know if you are a foodie but I do know you love photography. I have not participated in any of Cat’s workshops but I did know her as a trusted shop owner when she formerly lived in my community. She has a love for decor and photography as well as cooking. You might want to look at her instagram and website to determine if this might be a fun activity to include in a visit to France. https://rabbithilllifestyle.com/

• lizzie_grow
    4 years ago

I LOVED Paris! I was surprised how much I loved it. Agree with Sue, no need to speak French. We also experienced no rudeness at all. We were lucky in that the friends we traveled with had been there several times & showed us the ropes, but it wasn't hard. I would start by purchasing an easy to follow book about Paris, the metro, areas you could stay etc. We stayed in the 3rd & loved it. We rented an apt. & also had a concierge who got us settled & arranged two fun outings....one to a market & one to the Champagne area out in the country. Loved some of the smaller museums, shops, food & well, all of it! We went in mid Sept. & weather was good.

• 3katz4me
    4 years ago

We went to Paris and Normandy MANY years ago. It was my first international trip. I consider it our honeymoon (six years after wedding) because we couldn't afford to go anywhere when we got married. Well we couldn't at the time of the Paris trip either - we got a free trip in the first years of hotel loyalty programs.

I think it would be pretty easy to go to Paris on your own, especially if you stay somewhere with a concierge who can make recommendations, etc. There is so much to see and just hang out and take in. We got around well with public transportation and a few taxis in the city and rented a car when we drove to Normandy. That was the beginning of my love of European countryside and small towns vs. big cities. I don't think I'd drive by myself as we always seem to need a driver and a navigator. I'm sure you could do a day trip to Normandy if that's something you wanted to do.

I only noticed hostility once - in a restaurant where we didn't order enough to warrant the location of our table. Somehow DH understood the French waiter berating us over this. Otherwise people in Paris were indifferent - people in Normandy were wonderfully friendly. We also went in the fall.

• Michele
    4 years ago

My family comes from way way out in the countryside. As a child I used to visit often. I went once with my then bf, husband now when I was in my early twenties.

People in the countryside tend to consider the Parisians a bit uppity.

I think people are people, good and bad, and France is no different than anyplace else in that regard

All of my cousins learned English in school. I think you’d get along fine.

I’d say I enjoyed the “politesse”. I think it’s pleasant. I spent no real time in Paris, except when I went with husband.

When I would go with my family, we would overnight at my aunt’s apartment in Paris, before my father would rent a car and drive 8 hours the next day.

We come from Brittany. Celtic heritage. My parents had to learn French in school. They were forbidden to speak Breton and punished if overheard speaking it! For this and other reasons I don’t know if I would call myself a Francophile, it’s more of a love/hate relationship

• User
    4 years ago

Paris is super-easy to get around in, even if you don't speak any French.

I took 4 years of French in high school, which was approximately a million years ago. I brushed up on it before I left and was surprised how much of the written language came back. I can also still read what's written and know how to pronounce it, even if I don't know what it means.

I was surprised how many people were willing to struggle along with me in my rudimentary French, and/or automatically switched to English without a trace of annoyance.

The level of indifference/rudeness matched the feel of NYC to me. Some people are crabby for whatever reason, most people were cordial.

I highly suggest you go. It's a wonderful city to experience.

• SEA SEA
    4 years ago

DH went to Paris as the guest of a friend who won two first class tickets being in a studio audience for a tv show, twenty years ago.

This being at the whim of the friend and on short notice, DH did not have time to learn enough of the language to converse properly. Most Parisians do understand and speak English, but in DH's experience, the locals did not want to indulge an American who did not take the time to learn their language (which I understand and respect). He had trouble in restaurants and in general getting around. This ended up being a good thing though as he got on wrong trains and buses often and got to see many off the tourist path areas and he enjoyed that. The locals did not, for the most part wish to help him out with the numerous requests for assistance in how do you get to this location, what is a good item to order from the menu, etc...

This was before widespread internet access on a cell phone with answers to all of life's questions were at your fingertips. One would be more autonomous present day.

I would definitely take an online language course prior, and have a translator app installed on the cell phone if I were to go.

For note, DH and friend had a falling out early in the trip (I suspected this might happen as friend was one of those high conflict people and I couldn't imagine 7 days going by without friend ruining things), thus DH went solo all but the first day there and he surprised himself at how much fun he had. Doing Paris alone ended up being a positive experience (in spite of being snubbed a bit for not speaking the language). I mention this in case you did give further thought to going by yourself.

• cawaps
    4 years ago

I visited Paris and Provence two years ago. I did an online French course (Duolingo) in advance of the trip but was far from fluent. I only really needed to rely on the French twice. The first time wasn't critical; it was at a farmer's market. The second time was at our rental in Provence. The owner spoke English but she was away and we were dealing with her mother, who did not. I managed to get by with my limited French, though the mother spoke Spanish and that would have been our fallback.

If you have a working phone, Google Translate works pretty well and could probably be used in a pinch.

I really enjoyed our trip. I didn't find the people at all rude. You should definitely go; given your interest I'm sure you would love it.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

French children begin English class in early elementary school. I would not worry much about a language barrier. A good faith effort with easy phrases will win you lots of points.

In general, people are friendlier outside of Paris. That holds true for natives and tourist, if you ask me. The NYC analogy is apt. I love New Yorkers, but there is a level of hustle and bussel (sp.) that breeds a certain indifference to people around you.

Wow, Michele about your parents.

• amicus
    4 years ago

I've never been to France, so I can't give you any advice regarding where to stay or visit.

You asked "do French women really have that certain je ne sais quoi as rumored? Are they, as a whole, really effortlessly lovely? Their does seem to be an inner confidence in so many of them; a self-assuredness that I have always found intriguing. Or is that just me buying into the stereotype?"

I think that perhaps there is both truth, and some stereotypical perceptions of French women as being an intrinsic blend of chic and mystique. I just saw a t.v. show, during which a French woman was saying that tourists can often be differentiated from locals, before they even speak.

She felt that there are two types of tourists. The first type tends to wear bright colors, with often a brand/designer name on a piece of clothing or handbag. Apparently a 'hoodie' is a dead giveaway they are not locals. The other type of tourist goes out of their way to emulate how they perceive a Parisian woman might dress, wearing skinny black jeans, a scarf, and leather boots, or a cape over a tailored jacket, with a black beret on their head. The speaker claimed that both styles were not how local women tend to dress.

She said French women are more understated and typically choose only one statement piece, rather than an 'ensemble' look. They favor non label tailored clothing, over a designer jacket that is 'puffy.' In France, the fit/style is more important than the brand/color, which she sees as a higher criteria in the clothing worn by tourists of many other countries. Do you agree with her perception?

Apparently American women are noticed in Europe as having accentuated eyebrows and more lately, unnatural lips, whereas French women prefer their natural lips, and a less 'drawn on' looking eyebrow. But they are partial to a red lip, and still love an intriguing scent.

When an audience member stated that Americans tend to wear scent less often than in the past, to avoid discomfort for those with allergies, she said that there doesn't seem to be much of a problem with scents causing allergies there, for some reason. She commented that if a woman passes by, who is wearing only one piece of color within her mostly monotone clothing, she wears only a dash of lip color but no other cosmetics, yet you catch a faint whiff of something lovely when she passes you, she is most likely a French woman.

• just_terrilynn
    4 years ago

I think one can enjoy any part of France but to have the best experience it’s down to timing. My husband and I had a fabulous time in Nice this summer but by the 2nd week in June the atmosphere was significantly different. Hoards of tourists!!! Next time we will do the last week of May and first week of June. The first week of June was so nice because we met many French couples while dining. We also met other nice couples who had second homes there. It seems after that first week of June they avoid the area due to the hoards.

Anyway, this was one of our very favorite vacations. We stayed nine nights in old town in a two bedroom two bath apartment. Normally we go go go on vacation and never stay long enough to truly soak up the “feeling“. Every few days we would take a bus or train up or down the coast. There are endless places to explore that are close so Nice was a great hub. You don’t need to have a car rental. Most of the time though we relaxed, ate great food , drank great local Rose’ and did fun people watching at outdoor cafes over coffee. After, we went to Paris for four days. It was packed.

• bpath
    4 years ago

My first French experience was way back in 1974! I was in Normandy for a summer homestay, and because of the war, they held Americans in high regard and affection. They also loved JFK, I saw shrines to him.

Ida, consider joining the Alliance Française to find a class or conversation group to practice before you go. I enjoyed my experience with the AF in Dallas back in the 80s.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all so very much! I will come back to this thread to re-read all that's been mentioned here, and surely this will be a great jumping off place for me to start researching this further.

Because of what you've shared, now I really, REALLY want to go. France is definitely on my bucket list.

• kkay_md
    4 years ago

I lived in Paris many moons ago, and enjoy visiting. I think Paris is very navigable for a non-French speaker (though you likely can master the polite phrases, which is charming). The museums are lovely (especially the smaller ones; it may be heresy but I find the Louvre overwhelming unless I plan a surgical strike). Spend time strolling along the Seine, sitting on park benches in the glorious parks, admiring the architecture, and going to neighborhood cafes to watch the world go by. It's my opinion that French women do seem innately stylish, in a manner both effortless and natural, not quite as studied or carefully composed as American women. I also think Americans are identifiable by their footwear (men and women).

Going to destinations outside of Paris can easily be done by train, of course, but one can find endless things to explore and see in Paris itself without needing a car or boarding a train (other than to/from the airport). The Paris Metro is quite easy to master. And of course, avoid going to Paris in August!

I am descended from the one of the "filles du roi" (King's Daughters), about 800 young women recruited by Louis XIV from Paris and environs to immigrate to New France (French colonies in Canada) with dowries to marry (if they wished) French men who had immigrated there to find minerals and claim lands. I understand that many of the French Huguenots fled France in the 17th century, which was around the same time that the filles du roi went to New France. I never had a hankering to go to France until my university required fluency in a language and I decided to jettison my high school Spanish and try something new. I hope you go. I think you'd enjoy it!

• texanjana
    4 years ago

I love France, and am excited to be going back in June with DD. Not the ideal time, but she is a school teacher so we have to go when she is on break. We are spending a week in London and a week in Paris. I think you could easily go on your own and do just fine.

• Allison0704
    4 years ago

I won't repeat what's been written.... just don't miss Montmarte with the Sacre Coeur and the Musee d'Orsay. If you're there long, a day trip to Versailles is an option. We did not do the Catacombs, but I've heard it is fun.

• Moxie
    4 years ago

I lived in France as a small child. I worked in Paris from time to time (hostage to unhappy customers while home office in US fixed problem :-) ), and vacationed often. My sensibilities align better with France than with the US, but I was over 35 when I figured that out. Too late to move because job mobility in France is limited far earlier than in the US.

First of all, Paris is as different from the rest of France as NYC is from the rest of the US. I'd probably start with Paris since there is so much to do there. It will also be much easier without speaking French. Definitely make an effort to learn some French and try to speak. It's the polite thing to do. People appreciated it. If you are struggling and they speak some English, they probably will do so.

French people are far more formal and reserved than we are. That's part of the reason some people from the US think that the French are aloof or rude. The cashier or waiter who doesn't chat with you or grin at you isn't being rude. Unlike us, they're not expected to smile unless there is a reason to do so or to make random small talk with strangers. I think of it as a little like moving from west Texas to northern Minnesota! Outside of cities or areas where there are a lot of summer residents from other places, life is very family-centric. It takes a long time for them to welcome newcomers.

Manners matter because it's a culture built on relationships. When you enter a shop, you must greet the shopkeeper ("Bonjour, Madame") and thank her when you leave ("Merci, Madame") - even in Paris. Before asking for help, "Pardonez-moi, Monsieur, ..." will help things go smoother.

France is expensive and Paris is especially so. French people are frugal. They tend to buy carefully, looking for quality rather than quantity. Unless she is very wealthy, a Frenchwoman's wardrobe is usually fairly small, but flexible. It is normal to wear some items more than once in a week and change the look with accessories like scarves. Paradoxically, I think the attention to detail in making purchases is a big factor in a result that looks like it effortlessly belongs to that individual.

• Bonnie
    4 years ago

We have been to France four times, with three of those trips including Paris. The last trip was 2 years ago when I took DH for one of his "milestone" birthdays. You really can't go wrong if you choose to focus on Paris only for your first trip. For our first trip, which was over 20 years ago, we brought "Rick Steves' Paris" guidebook with us and used several of his suggestions for seeing the major sights and for restaurants (now of course, there are so many more resources online). We both brushed up on our French, just enough for the requisite greeting and to order in a cafe. However, almost everyone speaks English. The key, as has been mentioned, is to make the effort and to be respectful. We did that and had zero problems interacting and feeling comfortable. Paris is one destination that never disappoints, so much to see and do, and it is very easy to get around.

• JePenseTrop
    4 years ago

Not counting one trip in a previous life, I've been going to Paris solo twice a year for the past 5 years, lately I've tacked on a week in Rome to one of those biannual trips. Trips 11 and 12 are already booked for 2020.

I speak and understand very minimal French (and Italian) but can (barely) read enough to get by :-) I think that I'm fairly nice and polite, I've never been treated poorly and no one has ever been rude to me either. A lot of people in the service industry speak enough English for both of us to understand each other. Bonjour, merci, au revoir and a few other pleasantries will take you far.

I prefer to just roam around and do my own thing, not much in the way of tours - I did go on a Champagne tasting cruise on the Seine with O Chateau this past trip and it was fun.

I'm not a fan of the Metro at all and never use it but find it easy to either walk or take the bus wherever I want to go. Uber and taxis are also options.

I've rented an apartment on the left bank from the same person each time and it makes life so much easier. No one to disturb you, being able have your coffee in the apartment at your leisure and loll around until you're ready to start your day without housekeeping knocking on your door.

I like to eat my (not very) big meal earlier in the day and then hang in a cafe later for apero time.

When I get back to the apartment in the evening, I enjoy noshing on sausage, cheese, olives, baguette and delicious French butter - oh yeah, I always bring a pastry home. Grocery shopping is one of my favorite things to do in Paris.

I travel with a Roku streaming stick so it's nice to relax with some entertainment while I catch up online - both apartments have high speed wireless.

I use the $10/day Verizon International Plan for my phone, there are other options that people tout but it's easiest for me and works seamlessly. You can also rent a personal WiFi hotspot that can be shared with multiple people for about the same daily cost. I did that on my first couple of trips and rented it from Travel WiFi - great service and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

As for fashion, most of what you hear and read is stereotypes. People in the city pretty much dress like people in big cities in the US - think business casual in NYC and Chicago. I get by with a black trench, crossbody bag, black pants, black jeans, ankle boots, a pair of comfortable shoes, and for color - some nice tees/tops, a couple of sweaters, and a few scarves - I fit in just fine with the locals and have never felt out of place, people constantly speak to me in French and I respond in my pitiful French that I don't speak the language.

If you can get past the few crabby regulars, the TripAdvisor Paris Forum is searchable and a wealth of information.

I love traveling solo, give it a try.

• localeater
    4 years ago

How about I go with you?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    4 years ago

I first went to Paris when I was 11 years old, so 56+ years ago. Paris (and all of France really) is my happy place and i will be back there in the fall. I agree that Paris is a place to just wander in between visiting must-see places like the Musée d'Orsay and the Eiffel tower. I love the west bank, le Marais, the canal St. Martin area, the Bois de Boulogne, and just about every back street, all of which have magical aspects. I love the French, but do not expect the open friendliness and grinning faces you see in the US. They are just private. I have never had a negative moment with anyone there (and I studied in France while in college and have been back many times over the years, but more so now that I am retired.) If you want to get away from Paris, my favorite area is the Dordogne. So many lovely villages and chateaux and driving is easy away from cities. We always rent a gite when we go. Less expensive and so enjoyable. You may find some tours are in French, but most will also offer English and you can always wander towns and grounds without any French and you will love every minute. Lots of beautiful gardens everywhere in France and so many lovely little parks in Paris.

ETA. I also walk everywhere when in Paris. No metro, no cabs, but only because it is an eminently walkable city.

You really must go!

• Gooster
    4 years ago

Just to add to what others wrote, as we have a second place in the South of France (Nice). I've also spent time living in the bordering countries. I don't want to repeat too much, other than repeat the main points.

I'd recommend Paris for the first time visitor as well. English is not necessary, but as Moxie and others wrote about it is very important to always say "Bonjour" in the shops, etc, and even when mounting a bus and handing a ticket to a driver. (And Merci, of course). Provence and/or the Cote d'Azur are common second trips (or add ons), and they are also well suited to tourists. Just be warned in advance of July, the peak month for tourism in the South. August in Paris is hot, but not as crowded as much of the city is on vacation still. I was there this past summer, staying at my friend's pied-a-terre before heading south, and other than the closed restaurants/shops in the non-touristic districts, things were not too overrun.

You can also investigate day tours and hop-on-hop-off buses in various cities. These are not as structured as a long bus tour, and can serve as a good orientation. There are also specific walking tours you can take, for example, in Paris, "Paris by Mouth" is extremely popular.

Although today's rules are relaxing, you generally won't find a French woman going out in yoga pants and sneakers. Or without their makeup. Years ago, men would never wear sneakers but now "baskets" (Stan Smiths specifically) are a stereotype.

Comfort with English begins to disappear the deeper you get into the countryside, and outside of the tourist destinations.

• Moxie
    4 years ago

You might want to have a look at Pariswalks by Sonia and Alice Landes. There's an updated version available for Kindle.

I too like to travel alone. It's easier to interact with local people. For Paris, I prefer October and late April or early May, if you want to make a trip to Giverny. Avoid fashion week in January, French summer vacation in August and early September. I don't mind winter and early spring either, but it really depends on one's flexibility with weather.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

You are all so wonderful! I am soaking all of this up and thinking this is sounding more and more like a trip I simply must find a way to do.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

Paris is usually on everyone's bucket list, and for good reason. I have been many times...with a BF, with my BFF since 7th grade, with my Mom, with DH, and a few years ago, the whole family, not to mention many times on business. The best thing about Paris is just walking around, and a nighttime cruise on the Seine. Renoirs at the Dorsay , Water Lilies at L'Orangerie, Nike and Venus at the Louvre (more than Mona Lisa), the tulips of the Bois du Boulogne, the Arc lit up at night. All are musts.

That said, I must admit that on my last trip, I found Paris to be suffering from more urban ills than I'd remembered. Traffic, grime, crowds. None of this would dissuade me from heartily recommending it, but I personally probably won't go back. All of this it to say that I agree with the person above who said that *just* seeing Paris is like *just* seeing NYC. I would try to get to the countryside. Almost any direction will do! But find a few little towns to meander through.

As for language, learning a bit of the language is, to me, part of the enjoyment of preparing for a trip. But it is almost never needed in order to tour in any major destination.

• maire_cate
    4 years ago

I was in France a few months ago and loved every moment - no I take that back - the Louvre was the biggest disappointment of the trip. Hot, crowded, long lines, overwhelming (you could spend a week there) and the rudest tourists I have ever encountered anywhere - and they were not speaking English. I was in a small tour group for the museum and our French guide kept urging us to "act like the French, not like Americans" . At first I though he meant the stereotypical American tourist - you know, talking in a loud voice, sneakers, complaining etc. But he urged us to be a little pushy or we'd never get close enough to see anything. He advised us to gently work our way forward saying "Pardon or Excusez-moi" and then step in front of others.

Paris was delightful, it was very crowded at the end of June, July - but it was also the World Cup which increased the number of visitors. It was exciting to see so many people cheering on the US Women's soccer team. If you have limited time you could easily spend a week there. I did download Pariswalks and I also had a small, pocket size pop-up map of the city. I don't speak French other than a few phrases and that seemed to be enough in Paris.

As others mentioned plan your trip for April, May or September, October. Some of my favorite spots were Giverny (visit in spring), Normandy ( the Bayeux Tapestry, the American cemetery, the D-Day beaches, museums), Versailles, Chateau de Malmaison.

We had a driver who took us on a day trips through the countryside - the charming villages, the architecture, the scenery should not be missed. We're planning a return trip for next October - so this thread will be helpful.

• lobby68
    4 years ago

I've been to Paris twice. I'm not a super seasoned international traveler and we found Paris 100% perfect in every way. You just need to learn a little bit of cultural norms and a few words/phrases and you will be fine. We went to Normandy on our first trip and it was very powerful. I would like to spend much more time in France in general after we retire. What I realized in Paris last time, and why perhaps it is a good fit for me personally, is that people just don't care about you. And I mean that in the best way possible. Just do your thing, order your food, get your drink, be about your business. Not in a rushed sense, but in a no nonsense sense. It's hard to explain, but I find it very freeing to be there. Besides the fact that its just lovely. Of course, hot subway urine smells the same in every big city.

You are strongly encouraged to go!!!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    4 years ago

I cannot imagine never returning to Paris, mtn!

ETA: or anywhere else in France!