SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amylou321

An Honest Question

amylou321
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

For those here who just HATE Christmas music...Why? I really want to understand.

I guess I can kind of understand why some people are tired of the Christmas season in general, what with all the emphasis on gift gifts gifts, buy this buy that, don't forget this sale or that sale. Early Black Friday Deals. The constant barrage of ads barking out Christmas Sales at you.

BUT

I submit that its not that much worse than other holidays. Big Bubbas Furniture Veterans Day Sale! BIG BIG BIG Columbus Day Sale! Memorial Day Blowout at this car dealership! Crazy Presidents Day Prices!!! Fourth of July EXTRAVAGANZA!!!!! Labor day closeout! New year,New you, low prices on new gym memberships! And to ME, it not hard at all to ignore the Christmas ads,or any of them. That's not what Christmas is to me. Just like Veterans Day is not about getting new end tables. Holidays,all holidays, are what you make them. Whether it a huge dramatic conflict, a joyful celebration, quiet reflection, an obligation, or nothing at all.

But the music? The music (to ME) is so happy, so joyful, so cheerful. (Most of it, there are a handful that i HATE, with good reason, IMO) The music doesn't want to sell you anything. Its just so HAPPY!

I have a regular at my job. He always sneers and makes a big dramatic show of it when I have Christmas music playing. Finally I asked him WHAT his problem was, specifically. He looked taken aback, and then admitted that that was just his obstinate personality. He says everyone seems to be so happy and giddy about Christmas and Christmas music, it was just his inclination to be the opposite. He thinks its undignified for an adult to be so excited about something. ( his words ) And that Christmas music "was for greedy little kids,slow people and sissies" (DEFINITIVELY his words, not mine) I will never forget that. What a sad, miserable creature to be opposed to something JUST because other people love it so much.

I am NOT suggesting that anyone here shares that opinion. I just wanna know why. Specifically. Thank you for your help.

Comments (74)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida