SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
amylou321

An Honest Question

amylou321
last year
last modified: last year

For those here who just HATE Christmas music...Why? I really want to understand.

I guess I can kind of understand why some people are tired of the Christmas season in general, what with all the emphasis on gift gifts gifts, buy this buy that, don't forget this sale or that sale. Early Black Friday Deals. The constant barrage of ads barking out Christmas Sales at you.

BUT

I submit that its not that much worse than other holidays. Big Bubbas Furniture Veterans Day Sale! BIG BIG BIG Columbus Day Sale! Memorial Day Blowout at this car dealership! Crazy Presidents Day Prices!!! Fourth of July EXTRAVAGANZA!!!!! Labor day closeout! New year,New you, low prices on new gym memberships! And to ME, it not hard at all to ignore the Christmas ads,or any of them. That's not what Christmas is to me. Just like Veterans Day is not about getting new end tables. Holidays,all holidays, are what you make them. Whether it a huge dramatic conflict, a joyful celebration, quiet reflection, an obligation, or nothing at all.

But the music? The music (to ME) is so happy, so joyful, so cheerful. (Most of it, there are a handful that i HATE, with good reason, IMO) The music doesn't want to sell you anything. Its just so HAPPY!

I have a regular at my job. He always sneers and makes a big dramatic show of it when I have Christmas music playing. Finally I asked him WHAT his problem was, specifically. He looked taken aback, and then admitted that that was just his obstinate personality. He says everyone seems to be so happy and giddy about Christmas and Christmas music, it was just his inclination to be the opposite. He thinks its undignified for an adult to be so excited about something. ( his words ) And that Christmas music "was for greedy little kids,slow people and sissies" (DEFINITIVELY his words, not mine) I will never forget that. What a sad, miserable creature to be opposed to something JUST because other people love it so much.

I am NOT suggesting that anyone here shares that opinion. I just wanna know why. Specifically. Thank you for your help.

Comments (74)

• Debby
    last year

I don't "hate" Christmas music. I hate hearing it for 8 1/2 hours straight while I'm at work. It's played over the intercom nationwide so we can't even turn it off if we wanted to. I like the music, but not 42 1/2 hours a week.

amylou321 thanked Debby
  • ritaweeda
    last year

I'm so stoked that I'm not the only "grinch" here. I don't mean that in a nasty way. I'm Christian and don't mind Christmas music right around Christmas day, mostly because it's tradition and does help to get into the mood for the big holiday. And if someone just absolutely adores everything that comes with Christmas well that's fine, hey if they want to celebrate it every day of the year who cares? Just don't push it in my face, keep it to yourself, please. But to go into a store in August and even in July and see shelves being stocked with Christmas decorations already just makes my blood boil. If it was up to me there would be no Christmas tree here but unfortunately DH is half German and there's no chance that would happen in this house as long as he is alive. I cringe every year when he climbs up that ladder to the attic to get that stuff down at 70. I have a very small fake Christmas tree about 2 feet high and some tiny ornaments to put on it, that would be just enough for me if it was just me. I used to do a lot of decorating and such but that was for DH and my son, not for me. So, I make myself tolerate it but most of it's just too over the top for me.

I've never liked the pop Christmas music. I like the classical stuff but again, only right around Christmas day. So much of what is called "Christmas" music is really just seasonal with all the references to Winter, snow, sleds, egg nog - hey, even the decorated tree and mistletoe have nothing to do with Christmas, they are old pagan traditions that the Christian Church allowed the people to meld into Christianity just to keep them happy.

amylou321 thanked ritaweeda
  • Related Discussions

Fertilizing: Organic? Synthietic?

Q

Comments (22)
    Synthetic fertilizers like 10-10-10 will not harm you. As noted above, they are not to be confused with pesticides (not that these necessarily will harm you either -- but that is a much more complicated issue). There are reasons not to use them, some which are mentioned above: problems about sustainability (they are made from oil or gas ultimately); they are like a quick fix for plants; it has been argued that plants grown with them do not have the nutrient levels of those grown with organic fertilizers (by which I mean non-synthetic ones); it is said they ruin the soil. But all these claims must be looked at in context. If you use cottonseed meal, for example, it will have been grown, probably using synthetic fertilizers and pesticides; it is heavy and must be trucked from where cotton is grown -- so who knows which comes out on top in regards to sustainability. They are a quick fix for plants, and organic fertilizers that release nutrients more slowly are preferable, but some plants like to get a lot of nutrients quickly and some need a lot. As for nutrient levels in food, if you under fertilize with organic fertilizers or the nutrients are unbalanced you could easily have the same result -- there is some sad looking organic produce sold at farmers markets. They will only ruin the soil if this is the only input to the soil you make, but you are adding compost and if you do this and use a synthetic fertilizer in reasonable amounts you should have no problems. The bottom line: don't beat yourself up on this. Sounds like what you are doing will work just fine. If you like, try different methods on the same kinds of plants and see what, if any difference, it makes.
    ...See More

Some random newbie(ish) questions

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks, guys. Yes, Calvin, it's a Paph delenatii (I posted from home, where the plants aren't); thanks. Um, the flowers haven't opened yet, although it's getting close. I'm a little hesitant to remove it from the lights, where the spike will just grow taller. Hey, I'll bet you didn't know that no one in Humboldt county carries sphagnum moss. They carry peat, and they carry 'green moss' for decoration, but not the real thing. Go figure. Actually I forgot I'd already done the Dends; they seem happy about it. So far... It's nice to know about the Masde; it's still adjusting to my half-arsed conditions, but again it seems happy (fingers crossed). So far the hydroculture is working well; my three AVs love it, the Begonias act like they were *born* for it, and I'm experimenting with some Sinningias (tuberous). Thanks for listening to me ramble. Korina 'Arthur, you have no historical perspective. Science in those days worked in broad strokes. They got right to the point. Nowadays, it's all just molecule, molecule, molecule. Nothing ever happens big.' ~The Tick
    ...See More

An odd question

Q

Comments (2)
    The Earth gives us mysteries every day, especially to us gardeners. It draws out honest questions and wannabe truthful responses from us little people. It is beautiful if you look at it at the right angle. I would guess it has nothing to do with the support, and everything to do with that one particular plant. However, if I had a group of friends show up at one time, I would kid around and make up some elaborate story of how the pitchfork was intentional and the whole thing was a planned horticulture-knowledge experiment created by you. Haha. Take care, Travis
    ...See More

Why painted cabinets over natural wood?

Q

Comments (40)
    I had the same thing... very nice cabinets and kitchen design, but oak from the 80's. I just got tired of the color and opted to paint them... along with all the wood trim in the kitchen breakfast area. WOW... what a difference! Our space looks totally different with just the lighter color. We actaully painted them a lightly less than white color (Benjamin Moore's Cloud White) and used Cabinet Coat by Insl-x. Since oak has a pretty deep grain we used about 3 coat's of primer... Zinsser's oil based Cover Stain... it did a great job filling the grain. We lightly sanded before and sanded smooth after. We has a glass like finish to apply paint to. Several people have asked if there are RTF and others think we replaced the cabinets. We changed the top molding and replaced our off white corian with a dark granite. I am proud to say, we did the work ourselves over several weekends and it looks like we spent $40,000 on a complete remodel. We spent about $200 on paint and painting supplies and $40 a sq ft for the granite.. installed. Shop local granite fabrication shops. They are less expensive than the chains and you get to pick out the exact slab(s) that will be installed. A local "chain" had the same granite for $60 a sq ft with a charge for the cut outs and charged $12 per linear ft for the beveling I chose. That alone saved me about $500 and I was not charged more for having the edge beveled or for the sink or cook top cut outs. We also bought new cabinet hardware (saved 70% shopping online) and appliances. I am not a big do-it-yourself person nor is my husband. He always calls someone for repairs, etc, but painting is one thing any of us can do. My husband was so proud of all my hard work and the money we saved on labor, that he opted to buy all new appliances. You would think we had a contractor come in and do all the work. We we surprised at what we accomplished. Try it yourself. The worst you can do is have to hire someone to do it if you find you are not getting the results you want. I still can't believe we did our project.
    ...See More
  • Uptown Gal
    last year

I love music...as long as it isn't rap...keep it coming always. You can call it

Christmas, Easter, July or Monday music for all I care. Just play music. When

it comes on the TV, Car radio, etc., I usually don't have the time or inclination

to sit and think..."wait...is it too early for that?" What to do..what to do. I

know...turn it off, ignore it or leave the area, if I don't like it" Me too, Judy!

amylou321 thanked Uptown Gal
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    last year

Well my goodness. I see it really IS a hot button issue with some. I did not realize that asking for reasons behind an opinion that differs from my own in order to gain insight was "making it an issue."

I just wanted to know.

Yikes.

*backing away slowly*

• socks
    last year

The same tired novelty tunes decade after decade—the Carpenters, Grandma Got Run Over.....really tiresome. I do enjoy Christmas instrumentals somewhat.

I’m with you Ritaweeda, same feelings. Let’s run away.

amylou321 thanked socks
  • Lucille
    last year

Amylou, it isn't you. We all love different things. The difference between most things and sounds is that one can't just 'scroll on by' them. I have the most beautiful wind chimes, I do not put them outdoors because others might not love them as much as I do.

It is perfectly OK to ask questions and gain insights. And most of us love your enthusiasm. Be you and be happy. If you work by yourself, go ahead, play your tunes, enjoy!

amylou321 thanked Lucille
  • share_oh
    last year

I listen to Christian Contemporary music most days at work. Sometimes I switch to my "oldies" of the 70's. After Thanksgiving if they start throwing in some Christmas music, I'm ok with that. My favorite station used to start playing 100% Christmas from Thanksgiving onward and being that they only played Christian songs - the playlist was pretty short! And annoying to me so I would always switch. They finally asked their listeners which we prefer and the majority has said mix some in but not all 100% of the time. They also started playing some non-Christian tunes so the variety is better.

I have a friend who would listen to it all year long! Her cup of tea, not mine, but it doesn't bother me in the least.

What I play on my computer can really only be heard by me so I play whatever I feel like listening to. If Christmas music makes you happy Amylou - go for it!

amylou321 thanked share_oh
  • Elizabeth
    last year

I agree with others, It is just too too much of the music and it starts too early. It is obnoxious.

November is for Thanksgiving. It's the turkey's month.

Wait your turn Christmas music!

amylou321 thanked Elizabeth
  • susanwv
    last year

Amylou, id like to know you, and chat with you, you’re an upbeat cheerful person. No one here is putting you down, just expressing their opinions, even if a little enthusiastic at times. I like Christmas music in general, except for a couple that bug me. I don’t mind it playing in stores, it’s refreshing after hearing rock and rap all the time. Keep on playing those xmas tunes, girl !!!❤️❤️❤️

amylou321 thanked susanwv
  • OklaMoni
    last year

Amy I don't hate Christmas, nor Christmas music... I just think it comes on way to early.

See, I grew up in Germany, in the 50's and 60's. Christmas came on the 24th of December. Nothing about it before. Even the Christmas Tree wasn't up and visible till the evening of the 24th, when the previously locked living room door was opened, and the tree was all lit with candles, YES, candles, and we sang Christmas songs and each child said a Christmas poem before we were told which presents were ours. Yes, the presents were not wrapped. Nope, no Christmas music played. We just didn't have any.

There are two days of Christmas in Germany (December 25, and 26), and on one we went to one set of grand parents, where the scene was the same, with the Christmas room not available till we were told, and we went to the other set of grand parents the next day for the same routine again.

There was no Santa Claus at Christmas eit2her, but our presents were from Christ Child.

Now, my oldest daughters birthday is on the 17th of Dec. and I never really do anything Christmas before it... even though she is 44 at present.

I can belt out German and American Christmas songs, almost all day long... but not till Christmas....

Yup, it's all just to early for me still.

Moni

amylou321 thanked OklaMoni
  • patriceny
    last year

It just makes me sorta sad now. Christmas music, that is.

A few years ago I lost my last parent in November, and I have no siblings or any real family left (other than my spouse). Then in early December of that same year my dog - who is my furry child - got diagnosed with terminal cancer.

All I can remember is being so unbearably sad, feeling like an orphan and that the bottom was falling out of my life....and Christmas music was playing everywhere.

At the time I didn't connect the Christmas music to my unbearable sadness. That year I was so wrapped up in grief I literally ignored the season.

But the next year, the first time I heard a Christmas ad on TV I felt like someone punched me in the stomach. I battled a profound sadness that whole Christmas season. It was very weird and totally not like me at all.

That was 4 years ago and life goes on. I have new furry kids and it's all good again.

But there is still something about Christmas music. I'm trying to get past it, but it's a very weird thing now. The season in general isn't "wrecked" for me, I enjoy the holidays and find lots of pleasure and happiness - but I avoid the music if I can. I think it's a Pavlov's Dog reaction for me now. It instantly triggers all that sadness from years ago....

Hey, you asked. :)

amylou321 thanked patriceny
  • nickel_kg
    last year

I don't hate Christmas music and if you're working from a 1,000 song playlist I'd probably find 995 of them alright. But I vastly prefer to select my own music so really am not keen on being trapped 8 hours a day with anyone else's taste.

amylou321 thanked nickel_kg
  • Michael
    last year

You won't hear the artists complaining about their music being played too early. If you just released a new Christmas album, you'll want it commercialized ASAP.

amylou321 thanked Michael
  • bpath
    last year

Amylou, I just love when people embrace something wholeheartedly, as you do! And your curmudgeonly regular at work, well, he seems to embrace curmudgeonliness (yeah, it’s a word. I just invented it lol) I can’t say I particularly love that.

I just might go put on A Charlie Brown Christmas CD, that’s one of my favorites. It may not have a lot of carols, but it’s festive and good music that makes me feel good!

amylou321 thanked bpath
  • ritaweeda
    last year

Amy, I can't see anywhere here where anyone thinks it's a "hot" issue, or is finding fault with you, everyone is just stating what they think which is what you asked for in the first place. I don't think anyone here is looking down on your liking Christmas music and it looks like everyone is OK with everyone's liking or disliking it, they just don't all agree with how you feel about it and don't want to be over exposed to it if at all possible. When I ask a question like that I pretty much expect a lot of different opinions. The only time I get aggravated is when there is an innocent discussion on something that normally no-one would consider being a "hot" issue and then it blows up into a big kerfuffle. And what Nickle said is so right on, we just don't want to be trapped having to listen to someone else's taste. If I worked at a place where I had to listen to that for 8 hours I would have to drastically figure out how to learn to tune it out or I wouldn't be able to work there.

amylou321 thanked ritaweeda
  • nicole___
    last year

Love ALL the pretty lights and wreaths! Great food! So the music in the stores is fine. I think people in general are kind of grumpy this time of year. Maybe it's the cold weather? There's this one Home Depot that normally plays sad cheating, dog just died, wife left me ....country music. THAT I HATE! Christmas music is a HUGE improvement! :0)

amylou321 thanked nicole___
  • Elmer J Fudd
    last year

Someone had made comments, I don't find them immediately now, about having gone through a very difficult childhood and how her Christmas memories were unhappy ones. Her family in need, that was homeless at times, was shunned and ostracized by others, even at the holiday season.

I hope this person has been able to find some measure of happiness and financial stability in her adult life.

Edit -

Wrong thread, I found it. In Christmas Music has started.

amylou321 thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • nycefarm
    last year

I think Patrice hit on the head, having lost both my parents I feel a lot of sorrow because they are no longer here to celebrate. I feel like the joy of the season is best suited for kids and I have none. Not even mentioning how commercial it has become, it just causes me to stress out and feel sad.

amylou321 thanked nycefarm
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    last year

"Hey, you asked."

Yes patriceny. I did ask. I do want to know. Thank you for sharing that.

• kadefol
    last year

I don't hate Christmas music, but I don't really want to hear it until December. I get tired of holidays being pushed on us months before they are celebrated.

I think in an effort to extend the season as long as possible (possibly in order to sell and capitalize as much as possible) stores take away the specialness of holidays. When it's Christmas for 3 months it's just not as much fun as when everything starts the beginning of December.

That said, I feel sorry for your co-worker. He sounds like a very unhappy person.

amylou321 thanked kadefol
  • blfenton
    last year

I like Christmas music. I like Christmas music in December. I don't like listening to Christmas music in November. My sons birthday is at the end of November. I didn't have a Christmas baby, I had a late fall baby.

amylou321 thanked blfenton
  • DawnInCal
    last year

I have this theory that eventually the stores will start with the Christmas displays so early that they will be back in synch again...

amylou321 thanked DawnInCal
  • patriceny
    last year

Just re-reading what I wrote and your reply Amy-Lou, I'm coming back to say I hope that "Hey, you asked" didn't come across as snarky. I promise that was not my intention! :)

I try hard not to be a wet blanket on anyone's good clean fun. I'm serious about that. So I don't normally even reply to the "happy holidays" fun threads because I don't want my sadness to be anyone else's problem or to rain on their parade.

The only other thing I can add is that I never understood this - until I did. :( Until that horrible holiday season I had no way to comprehend how something which can be so happy for some/most can be so crushingly sad for others. My Christmas memories were all happy and the music filled me with joy. I loved watching the holiday specials on TV.

There is something so soul crushing about being sad at/about/around the holidays. That first year of grief I was clueless - but that second year hit me like a run-away train. It was completely unexpected and the pain took me by surprise. So now, because I know, I can be much more empathetic to those who don't find the holidays magical. Grief, loss, loneliness weigh twice as much at Christmas time. :(

• amylou321
    Original Author
    last year

Nope. I didn't think it was snarky at all. And I do appreciate your reply.

• Raye Smith
    last year

I enjoy most Christmas music and I prefer to keep it special by only listening to it for a short time of the year.

Okla - I enjoyed your telling of your German Christmas experiences.

Be aware that there are people that have had terrible (sometimes childhood) experiences at Christmas. They probably won't tell you what happened but it is a terrible time and reminder for them. I had a family member that was a Grinch at Christmas time and it took decades before they were willing to let anyone know what had happened. It was isolating for them to be the only one that wasn't excited about the holidays.

amylou321 thanked Raye Smith
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    last year

I am sorry, Patriceny. Wishing peace for you.

I am another for which Christmas does not bring joy (aside from the true reason for the season). I was born into a desperately poor family and always knew there was no Santa. Other kids at school were happy and excited for Christmas but my siblings and I never were. We knew we were different.

amylou321 thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • Feathers11
    last year

I love classical and religious-based Christmas music, like in Sableincal's post. Even though I'm not a regular church-goer, the classes remind me of Christmas mass as a child and our wonderful choir. There's something very comforting about it.

I agree that Christmas marketing comes too early. Especially this year, after a difficult summer and very brief fall, I'm just not ready for it. My neighbor puts up her tree at the beginning of Nov., and many friends begin to decorate so they can enjoy it longer. If that's your thing, that's your thing.

amylou321 thanked Feathers11
  • Olychick
    last year

I love Christmas music (most of it). It evokes good feelings of the holidays for me, but more than a couple weeks of it diminishes (waters down) those special feelings. To me it's like having a favorite special food once in a while that you really look forward to, but if it was available to you every single day, it is no longer a special treat.

I think people's strong reaction to the music being played too early is that it represents the over-commercialization of the season. It's usually the stores trying to entice us to part with our $$ that are the worst offenders with early playing. I think if I walked into a business that was playing it so early, I'd probably have the same reaction as your Grinch.

And as we age the years come and go so quickly that it seems like I just got all the Christmas stuff put away and then they are trying to foist the next Christmas on us in October. That's not enough time in between to be able to look forward to it already. When one is younger, the time between the seasons seems much longer than it does when you're older.

amylou321 thanked Olychick
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    last year

Patrice, I am so sorry for your loss and grief. Have you been able to seek some professional counseling to help you with this? A good therapist can give you the tools needed to feel differently about the holidays, to find the power within yourself to allow some light into your heart during this stressful time.

Your description of your pain sounds very much like PTSD, Treatment can work miracles.

(((Patrice)))

amylou321 thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • sushipup1
    last year

I don't care for Christmas music because I am not a Christian (nor any other religion), and it's the same songs over and over again. But I do always enjoy the Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols from the King's College Chapel Choir, Cambridge, broadcast every Christmas Eve on NPR.

https://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/chapel/a-festival-of-nine-lessons-and-carols

amylou321 thanked sushipup1
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

I would be perfectly happy falling asleep after Thanksgiving dinner and not waking up until after the first of the year!! Christmas no longer holds much magic for me now I am single and kids are grown and gone their own way and it just goes on forever. For a good 6 weeks at least, Christmas takes over the world and it is hard to get anything non-Christmas done. I tend to ignore it as much as possible but the rest of my extended family just won't leave it be :-) I know they are trying to be kind and include me in all the festivities but other than Christmas Day itself, I'd just as soon be left alone.

My favorite Christmases are the ones my family spends as a group in Mexico. Only happens about every 4-5 years but the focus then is very little to do with Christmas and a whole lot to do with just having fun in the sun and enjoying each other's company.

amylou321 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • bob_cville
    last year

My biggest complaint, like others here, is that just starts too early, but also that it seems to me that many places play unending Christmas music for crass, calculated cynical profit-motivated reasons, apparently thinking "Hey if we get them in the 'Christmas Spirit' by playing Christmas Music, maybe they'll spend more money."

Additionally while some few of the songs are interesting musically, many are simplistic childish dreck. So while I actually enjoy those few "good" songs in a non-commercial setting, such as while attending a Christmas Party, or while intentionally looking a Christmas light displays, the endless replaying of those "good" songs in crass commercial settings, can suck all of the enjoyment out of them long before any Christmas parties are scheduled.

Some Christmas songs I find so gratingly annoying that I have simply parked my shopping cart, and left the store that was playing it, or another occasion I have literally put my fingers in my ears until that particular song finished.

amylou321 thanked bob_cville
  • patriceny
    last year

You are all so sweet. Thank you. I'm fine. :)

It was a really bad time, at the time. And the surprise at how much it totally sucked over Christmas for the 2nd year was unexpected.

I heard my first Christmas songs this weekend and had that visceral reaction of sadness - but it's not nearly as bad as it's been. I'm 4 years out and it's all getting better.

The topic was timely for me and I thought I could help explain, that's all.

• DawnInCal
    last year

I'm glad it's getting easier for you, Patrice. Time really does help dull pain and grief. I lost my mom on the 4th of July and both my brother and my MIL on New Year's Eve. Not at the same time, but two years apart so I can kind of relate to the feelings holidays can evoke in others. It's been six/seven years now, so I'm getting to the point that the 4th (my favorite of the holidays) is becoming enjoyable again.

Amy, in your quest for an answer/understanding, I think it's important to note that there are as many different reasons for not liking/not being super excited about Christmas music (or even Christmas itself) as there are Christmas songs including starting the music/celebration too soon to bad memories of childhood to personal loss.

amylou321 thanked DawnInCal
  • eld6161
    last year

Patric, Hugs to you. It is good that you were able to make the connection, so important in trying to move forward. Our feelings are so complicated.

I specifically remember when my Dad died. It struck me that the world around me kept going as if nothing had changed.

amylou321 thanked eld6161
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    last year

I have to say that I dislike the endless "Christmas" music, most of which is not about Christmas, but about heartbreak, passion, romance, or pathos. Just like most modern "Christmas" movies. And IMO the majority of the pop songs played over and over either aren't all that good (either the song or the performance), or finally lost their appeal when heard for the umpteenth time that day. Screechy little M. Jackson makes me want to wear earplugs while shopping!

Not that I don't listen to and appreciate a lot of Christmas music; I have a collection of CDs that I listen to off and on in December (more in the last 2 weeks before the 25th) that are a variety of musical styles (nope, no modern country).

When I was a child Thanksgiving was more of a major holiday, it seems, than it is now. Is my memory tricking me, or weren't there songs that relate to that holiday that we sang in school and at church, and heard on the radio? And didn't we used to see more Thanksgiving décor in shops an homes (more related to harvest, and history)?

My hometown never lit the Christmas lights until the night of Thanksgiving when I was little - part of our family tradition was to all pile into the car to drive into town to see them. Also part of our tradition was to play one Christmas record (Ferrante & Teicher's "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" - my mother loved that record!) at the end of the day. So that marked the start of the Christmas season for us.

Now my town's Christmas lights downtown have been lit for a week already (it's shopping season!"), we are blasted with "Christmas" songs for nearly 2 months, ads about buy buy buy this or that "for Christmas" -- Christmas is a huge commercial event now in American culture. It becomes overwhelming, and I don't like to be reminded of that constantly, either.

And Thanksgiving is reduced to a half-day pause in the shopping season to eat a turkey dinner and watch football (as far as media is concerned).

I feel rather like I have lost certain anchors to the seasons.

PS coming from a mixed religion family, I do appreciate the absence of overtly religious content in commercial spaces - but the substitutes are, well, less than engaging to me.

amylou321 thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • patriceny
    last year

The mind is a funny thing, isn't it? After the first year was over, I thought it was pretty much back to normal. And then the Christmas songs started and I couldn't believe how much sadness they brought. The songs triggered the same physical pain in my chest - that feeling of heaviness you can get when you're so overwhelmingly sad.

I kept telling myself this is stupid! It's all better now, you have no reason to be sad! And I'd claw my way back and then another song would hit or they'd replay the same old holiday commercial (they reuse commercials year after year - who knew?!) and the pain would return to my chest. Craziness. My mind would say this is stupid but I still physically reacted to it all.

But again, I am doing much better now and appreciate all of your kind words.

All I was trying to do was explain why Christmas can be painful for some people, and in my case it really is triggered by sounds rather than the lights, trees, decorations, etc.

Stupid brain! LOL. :)

• Raye Smith
    last year

Raee, yes, I remember when small towns decorated for Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving school plays and parades were a big deal. We also sang Thanksgiving songs from hymnals in school, best know song would be "We Gather Together".

amylou321 thanked Raye Smith
  • OutsidePlaying
    last year

I do not hate Christmas music. I will state that right up front. Do I like all of it? No, same as any other music. I get bored with many over-played songs, especially Christmas songs that I don’t like. Plus, we sing in a huge choral presentation that begins rehearsal in early September, so believe me, those 12-15 songs are not only memorized, they are tired by mid December, as much as I love some of them.

I will say I love a great classic song, especially some of the ones we have sung in Latin. Very moving and difficult to sing. Some are elaborate arrangements and those are fun too and the audience loves them. I will listen to various major choral groups sing on occasion in tv (for example the Mormon Tabernacle Choir or other major groups). I could listen and sing along with portions of Handel’s Messiah almost any time.

amylou321 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • sushipup1
    last year

Outside, be sure to try to find the Christmas Eve Kings College Chapel program on public radio. It is incredibly beautiful.

https://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/chapel/a-festival-of-nine-lessons-and-carols

amylou321 thanked sushipup1
  • jupidupi
    last year

When I was about 12, my best friend's older brother was in a very bad car accident, leaving him with some mild brain damage. When he came home from the hospital, he began playing the song Sugar Sugar over and over again. The song is "so happy, so joyful, so cheerful."

It very much appealed to 12 year old me and my friend. At first. But her brother played it OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER, etc., etc., etc. He played it all day, every day for months. We started hanging out anywhere but there. I'm all for the healing power of music, but this was torture. To this day, my stomach clenches up if I hear Sugar Sugar.

I don't celebrate Christmas and like Sugar Sugar, the music has no personal relationship to me. Except that it makes me cringe because it plays OVER and OVER and OVER.

Listen to Sugar Sugar, Amylou.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JywK_5bT8z0

Listen it it over and over and over. Maybe now you'll understand.

amylou321 thanked jupidupi
  • patriciae_gw
    last year

Be of good cheer.

I do enjoy Christmas although I no longer have the energy to celebrate as I used to. I enjoy some of the music. I don't like the jazzed up stuff and the noisy stuff. I don't even start listening until a few days before Christmas. I have lovely CD's of Harp, guitar, Lute (my fave) choral, Medieval, Elizabethan versions with recorder and other older instruments. Obscure Christmas music you couldn't get tired of.

I am not a believer but I know you are supposed to be happy that Christ is born if you are Christian. Otherwise it is not a bad idea to think of all the happy times. They haven't been taken from you because you have had a loss. Life is loss but it is better to have loved. Christmas, that coming together time, is a time to celebrate you good times.

amylou321 thanked patriciae_gw
  • jemdandy
    last year

I like Christmas music, but not for 100% of time. Gimme a break! Play something else part the time.

amylou321 thanked jemdandy
  • sjerin
    last year

I think everyone has said it all. I like Christmas music close to the day, but that's pretty much it. I enjoy singing the carols in church, especially. Joyful, I loved what you wrote! In our house, our kids grew up believing "hate" was a bad word, especially if it pertained to a person. I hope my girls still feel that way.

Yes, since those songs are so tightly tied to the Christmas season, they can bring out all kinds of grief and bad feelings if such episodes happened at that time of the year. And we tend to miss family members and friends whom we celebrated with at that time as well. But mostly the stores and other businesses have co-opted the music to serve their purposes, which feels wrong to me.

amylou321 thanked sjerin
  • TXSkeeter
    last year

Wife is the Christmas person in our house while I quite happily and eagerly take the part of the Grinch. In my opinion (only), Christmas music starts way too early and repeats itself FAR too many times over the course of the season and over far too many stations/venues. There are only so many times I can listen to the same old worn out holiday songs played over and over and over regardless of how many singers/groups are inserted in and out of the rotation nor how said singers try to modify the music to their own style. I do however, like to listen to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir on PBS and others of that type holiday music.

As an aside, I also wish someone would put the Hallmark Channel (cable tv) out of its unintended Christmas misery. Basically the same half dozen soap opera type goodie two shoes movies with the same half dozen actors and the same three or four plots played over and over as if they assume that no one is going to notice the repetition, only with different faces. The worst thing you'll possibly see is that someone will misplace their scarf or spill their tea. Just barf...

My family does not call me 'Scrooge' for nothing.

amylou321 thanked TXSkeeter
  • Michael
    last year

Do they twist your arm to watch Hallmark?

amylou321 thanked Michael
  • amylou321
    Original Author
    last year

TXSkeeter, as a Christmas movie fanatic, I DO NOT LIKE hallmarks sappy love stories set in wintertime. I will NOT call them Christmas movies. They are not.

I do love the scrooge movies though. :)

• TXSkeeter
    last year

No arm twisting but does contribute as one of the reasons we have two tv’s in separate parts of the house.

amylou321 thanked TXSkeeter
  • cynic
    last year

I like certain kinds of Xmas music but get tired of it blasting over the speakers in stores when you try to do your everyday shopping. And I have to admit, I'm much more "into" the holidays now that I've been out of retail for a (relatively) long time.

amylou321 thanked cynic
Sponsored
Details Home Services
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
North Virginia's Full-Scale Renovation Studio | 7x Best of Houzz