holiday gifting reminder...

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

The recent blender post reminded me of a braising pan I purchased for my mother a few years ago. I love mine so gifted her one, (she loves it). Forgot to check the box at Costco but once home I opened it and it was dented. I gifted her mine that was pristine and returned the dented one after the holidays.

We used it all that holiday week and would have hated her opening/using the dented one.

Appliances should be plugged in and tested before gifting.

We traveled with a new in box cast iron roaster/smoker all the way to Newfoundland to discover the lid was horribly warped. Oy. (I still love it with a foil ring to fit the lid tight). Discontinued immediately due to crap production but I still see it used on IronChef...(with a smoky leaky lid) lol.

Toys for kids that need batteries! Tragic when games like 'operation' does not work. : )

My mother often got tags mixed up. My sister opened a bag of bird seed meant for my father, (loves birds and could care less about gifting). Sister was flummoxed. She would love bird seed now but not at age 12.

SaveComment7Like4
Comments (7)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

We don't gift much anymore. But when we are with DH's family the tradition is recycle. I really like it. (it must be a recycled home item)...Books, cookware, crap, lol. SIL gifted us their wedding gift wine decanter never needed or used.

lots of books exchanged. MIL gifted her EvaZeisel servings.

DH is sending our nephew his great grandfathers banjo this year.

6 Likes Save    
nancyjane_gardener

We started a scholarship after my folks died because we are all "set" in life and don't need more STUFF!

Rather than buy each other junk that none of us need, we donate anywhere from $100-$1,000 to the scholarship. It's not a huge amount, but probably enough to buy a college kid's books for the year!

6 Likes Save    
2ManyDiversions

Good reminder Sleeve : ) I'm looking at an electronic item for DH's b-day, which falls just before the December holiday, but am putting off ordering it 'til nearer time. He'd see me 'testing' it.

I'm commenting mostly because I love the idea of recycled gifts, as well as scholarships or charities. Some years ago I suggested my family give a small token gift, or something homemade (something cooked, typically), and instead of shopping, spend that time with one another. Included in our shared time was a trip to the local orphanage (Children's Home), car filled with wrapped gifts, furniture we didn't need, etc. We much preferred those times spent together (no young children by that time). When I married, my in-laws believed in mass quantity giving - mostly prank gifts. I just can't fathom spending money on things no one will ever use when it could be put to better use. We traded off holidays for a while, and they did not like my ideas one bit. They are all adults. I don't think it scroog-ish to want to spend time with each other and limit gift giving, but they disagreed. To each their own.

Save    
annie1992

In our families we only get gifts for the kids, the adults do not exchange gifts other than things like homemade fudge or home canned jam or the kids will make something like Christmas ornaments for every one.

Elery's family used to have a "white elephant" exchange, where everyone bought prank gifts or something recycled, but even then, what do you do with that stuff? Store it away to re-gift next year, I suppose. Too bad they stopped, I have one of those motion activated singing fish somewhere, sang Jingle Bells and flopped his tail, I always put it up at the office because it drove my secretary batty, LOL.

I always make sure that if I give a gift that requires batteries, I get the batteries too, otherwise the kids make me crazy removing the batteries from flashlights and lanterns. (grin)

Elery's birthday is just after Christmas, so I use that as an excuse to buy larger items like chain saws, chains for the tractor tires, last year it was an iPad. We don't buy a lot of gifts for each other, usually we'll agree that we want to have a bigger item and we buy that as our "gift" to each other. This year I think he's "hinting" about an Air Fryer though.....

Annie

1 Like Save    
lindac92

I have bitter memories about getting a camera, with....wonder of wonders! a flash attachment, which took batteries. That was before the days of something always open all day and night.....and we hunted down a convenience store soda fountain type of place owned by a Jewish family....who were mobbed by others who needed something.
Yes always check a gift for batteries...
And speaking of giving....what's with the use of the word "gifting"? When did a noun become a verb? I am seeing and hearing it more and more....TV ads "For your Holiday gifting"...what happened to "giving"?

Save    
foodonastump

Linda - I first saw the word “gifting” here on CF years ago, and it’s still the primary place I see it though it is becoming more common. I looked it up a while back to find it’s an accepted word. I wonder if it devolved from the term regifting? It’s nails on a chalkboard for me.

But more on topic, I always thought the battery idea was very thoughtful. I’ve never thought to open and test gifts. Probably not a bad idea as returns are a pain. Especially now with so much online ordering, returns have become relatively painless for the purchaser but what about the recipient?

Annie (1992) like you, gifts in my family are primarily for the kids. Except for my MIL. Unfortunately she’s a certifiable shopaholic and loads everyone up with gifts. Aside from the fact that most of it is stuff we don’t want or need, knowing that there’s an underlying mental condition takes away any joy and appreciation the recipient should have. Even the kids get it. To her credit she’s a big returner (QVC actually banned her!) so my M.O. has been to pick a gift to be overly appreciative of, and say no thank you to the rest.

Save    

Gifted, gifting...Old English. It's been a verb for hundreds of years.

Redneck American grammar police....bugger off. (kidding : )

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
For Pros 5 Pro Picks for Client Holiday Gifts
Home pros share how they’ve shown appreciation to clients and strengthened their brands with thoughtful gifts
Full Story
Gardening Guides 12 Potted Plants That Make Long-Lasting Holiday Gifts
A miniature conifer, blooming amaryllis or desktop succulent could be the perfect gift for someone on your list
Full Story
Holidays 6 Holiday Gifts From the Garden
Your garden holds an abundance of gift ideas for your nature-loving friends — wreaths, bee houses, framed photos and more
Full Story
We are a family owned and operated business located in Sterling, VA. Our passion for landscaping, attention to... Read More
At 2 Navy Lane, we pride ourselves on amazing customer service and beautiful designs. We also offer Professional... Read More