Entertaining Again -- Brunch

Martha Scott

To me brunch is breakfast with dessert so I always try to have breakfast foods and then a dessert. I'm hosting a bridal shower champagne brunch on Saturday and my menu is as follows:

Frittata (not sure what kind as yet but it will involve cheese, some vegetables and perhaps meat)

A hot curried fruit (as a nod to her Laotian roots)

corn madelines, lemon poppyseed madelines, orange rosemary madelines (because the bride's name is "Madeline"

Kir Royal for guests when they arrive (and ginger ale for the non drinking guests) -- Kir Royal because EVERYONE does mimosas!

Red velvet cupcakes (because that is one of the flavors of the wedding cake)

Before anyone says I need a vegetarian option, there are no vegetarians coming (unless they switched in the last couple of days) so I have no worries on that front.

Now off to polish silver, iron tablecloths and polish napkins. I'm still trying to decide how to seat people for brunch and if I need to hire wait staff to serve individually or if I make it a buffet.

I love brunches!

SaveComment14Like
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Fun2BHere

I did have a place set for each guest at a table (multiple tables) at the last shower I hosted, but the food was served buffet-style. I didn't want to have wait staff. Since my kitchen has an island and is separate from the dining room, it is easy for me to set up the buffet on the island. I had the drink station set up between the dining room and living room, so people could access it before, during and after the meal. Before the party, I used glass markers to write each guest's name on the base of a champagne flute...much easier than using glass charms.

Save    
plllog

Hee. "Polish napkins." Great visual. :)

I think the Kir Royal is a great idea. At cocktail hour it's a bit disgusting (it was very popular in my youth, especially in Europe), but it's perfect for a breakfasty girly brunch. I don't think I'd ever have thought of it. Very cool.

Are the madeleine's the only "bread"? They sound good, but maybe a bit heavy on the sweet? You know what your crowd like. I don't suppose a sourdough madeleine is a thing... ;)

It all does sound lovely.

Save    
Islay Corbel

It sounds fun.

Why is a kir royal disgusting as an apéritif?

Save    
lindac92

I have hosted a few champagne bridal brunches/luncheons. Always served champagne, no orange juice! but for the one time I served Margaritas. One menu was a salad Nicoise with popovers and dessert was a miniature weddign cake....with a carefully placed six pence so the bride got it and knew to put it in her shoe.
Another time was quiche and dinner rolls.. likely a small bit of fruit on the plate.
Always plated in the kitchen and served the plates, rolls and breads on the table.

One fun thing was a bunch of wedding charms....can't remember where I got them....but they were attached to a ribbon that hung over the cake pedestal The charms were things like a baby, a house, a small airplane....and of course a six pence for the bride.
have fun!!

Save    
plllog

IC, it's probably just a cultural difference.

Save    
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

I like your menu but would love a potato something added to it. Crunchy and not sweet.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I attended a baby shower brunch just a couple of weeks ago. We had champagne and an assortment of fresh juices, crustless mini quiches, sausages, bacon, honey baked ham, home fried potatoes, rolls, 2 different salads and a huge fresh fruit platter. I was requested to bring lemon bars for dessert.

It was a coed shower, as the expectant couple live in Montana and many of the dad's side of the extended family had not yet met the mother-to-be (was a small, very private wedding). I think that's why the menu got beefed up with all that breakfast meat....those guys can put away some food!!

Baby due on Boxing Day....yet another Christmas baby in the family!!

1 Like Save    
Martha Scott

Pillog -- Don't you ever "polish" your napkins? LOL! I meant iron!

1 Like Save    
Martha Scott

Bumbleez -- I thought of a potato dish but these women always watch what they eat -- I may put potatoes in the frittata -- haven't decided which one I'm making yet.

Save    
Martha Scott

Pillog -- the "corn" Madeline is a non-sweet bread which is why I'm making them.

1 Like Save    
plllog

Martha, I wasn't sure on the napkins whether it was just a slip or a word play, but it inspired a whole cinematic image in my mind of the hostess buffing up the napkins as she checked her table settings. :) Great fun from a simple typo!

The non-sweet corn madeleines should do the trick. I forgot to mention what a cute idea I think it is to make the "breads" all her name. ;)

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

Martha, I've always enjoyed seeing the photos of your gatherings. You set such a beautiful table, often elegant, always tasteful, but never to the extent of so fussy I'd be afraid to touch anything, LOL! I've a feeling there will be fresh flowers, there always are. The Kir Royal would go over well for me as I'm always up for trying something new, and I've never had one. Your menu sounds wonderful, as well.

You've inspired me... if I can get over my nasty cold/flu/strep throat, I may pull out the silver to polish, and my good china for Thanksgiving. I'm still trying to decide if I should polish the napkins, or iron them... ; - )

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Martha Scott
cloudy_christine

You do inspire me too, Martha. This post made me think of all the tablecloths and linen napkins and silver and glassware that live in drawers and chests and never see the light of day. I love these things but almost never use them. The silver is used sometimes, but not the linens, except for a flowery tablecloth for tea parties when my grandchildren are here. I love to see the way you use all your pretty things.

Save    
marymd7

I just recently had some extended family over for brunch. We had a frittata, sweet potato pizza with rosemary, garden greens with chevre, walnuts and pomegranates, utica greens, fresh bread, and pie for dessert. We have a big vegetable garden, so the menu was driven by what was available fresh in the garden (or from the garden via the freezer). It was a chilly fall day, so I had hot spiced apple cider for folks when they arrived, and beer and wine at the meal for those who wanted more than water.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Weddings Make a Wedding Memorable With a Bridal Shower Brunch
Brides deserve a wedding shower as beautiful as they are. Gather ideas for a lovely fete from this bridal brunch designed by a pro
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: Gifts for People Who Love to Entertain
Show hosting-happy friends and family you care with thoughtful tableware and accessories
Full Story
Entertaining Entertaining at Home: A Host of Party-Prep Ideas
By Houzz
Having company for Passover or Easter? Here's how to get your furniture, dishes, centerpieces and more ready for guests
Full Story
Van Metre Homes is a homegrown builder with a reputation for blending the enduring traditions, quality and value... Read More