SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swiss_chard_fanatic

What type of window for lots of thermal movement & settling?

swiss_chard_fanatic
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I am under the impression that vinyl windows, no matter how well-designed and well-built they are, will experience seal failure in under 5 years when installed in our house, as our house will be harder on the windows than other people's houses.

Our house experiences a lot of movement due to thermal expansion, contraction and settling. It is my understanding that such conditions will lead to early seal failure in any vinyl window; if I am wrong, please let me know why. Seal failure is not something I will tolerate. I looked for single-pane windows; it appears that no one makes these anymore.

We have 10 windows to replace and we need to know what economical options exist that will not experience seal failure in 5 years given the conditions in our home.

Also, we live in a hot and humid climate, and all but one of the windows will be exposed to direct sunlight for a few hours each day. Therefore I'm assuming that wood-frame and aluminum-frame windows are not going to be a good fit, and that just leaves vinyl and fiberglass. Because fiberglass does not experience as much thermal movement as vinyl and is stronger than vinyl, I would be interested in fiberglass too, if they were economical.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (5)