For any federal employees or retirees changes to TSP

maifleur01

I posted this over in HT also because not everyone visits both sites.

Facebook is the only place I see any information about the TSP that is part of my retirement. Some of you may need to check your account to see if you have the proper information and can actually comply with the new changes.

"Two-factor authentication will be mandatory in December 2019 to help protect your TSP account from the bad guys. Even if they know your password, two-factor authentication helps you protect your account against fraud by prompting you for a one-time verification code each time you log in.

To prepare your account, check to make sure you have a valid cell phone number and up to two email addresses on file and add two-factor authentication to avoid interrupted access to your account next month.

To add this security feature, log into My Account on tsp.gov and go to your profile settings."

Not everyone has a cellphone although most on here do. Some areas of the country cell phone coverage does not exist or is of the type you have to find the "good spot". My stepdaughter in northern New Mexico has to be out of the mountains to use hers. There is also the little thing about having two email addresses.

More companies are going to the two step authentication so probably others will start doing this. One of my utilities now does this but only requires a cell or an email address.

SaveComment7Like
Comments (7)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Elmer J Fudd

maifleur, most smartphones have a "call over wifi" feature. If a phone is out of cell tower range but has a wifi signal (as is the case in most homes), it can be used in the normal ways.

With some phones, that feature needs to be enabled first (from user accessible settings menu) to function.

Edit to add:

Sometimes the added security feature involves simply multiple passwords. For one bank account I have, when using a browser I first sign on with username and password. After that, it requests a PIN entry. After that, it asks a preset question, one of three that rotate. It's quasi-annoying but fine, the entries are short and quick. Funny enough, with that bank's app, I can sign on from my smartphone with just a 4 digit PIN code.

Save    
nickel_kg

OK thanks for the head's up.

Save    
maifleur01

That is nice Elmer for you but many people still do not have cell phones nor have two email addresses.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Nice for me? I don't use it, it was information for others.

Stats I found from Pew Research with one search (which you could have done yourself) say that 96% of Americans have a cell phone. The share of Americans that have a smartphone is 80%. Any cell phone can receive a text message, even the old style.

Email addresses are free. You or anyone else can have 5 new ones in less than 10 minutes.

I don't know why but you seem to like to speak up precipitously without enough thinking about or understanding of the topic you're commenting on.

I know no specifics of how benefit plans for federal employees work but I'm CERTAIN that access to an employee's account info and any transactions desired must be possible other than online. By mail? By phone? I'm sure there are alternatives.

Save    
Kathsgrdn

Thanks Maifleur for posting this. I just checked my account and validated my phone number.

Save    
maifleur01

If anyone wants additional information on how to do the process or read about it you can find the information in the area that is called Bulletin Board. https://www.tsp.gov/index.html

Save    
functionthenlook

Thank you, I guess I should check mine. I haven't looked at it for several years since I don't plan on taking out any money till I have to.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Housekeeping Three Magic Words for a Clean Home and a Better Life
Not a natural tidying and organizing whiz? Take hope in one short phrase that can change your life forever
Full Story
Decorating Guides Design Debate: Should You Modernize a Historic Home?
Should a historic home keep every period feature, or can it adapt to changing times? Our experts find a positive middle ground
Full Story
Know Your House Insulation Basics: What to Know About Spray Foam
Learn what exactly spray foam is, the pros and cons of using it and why you shouldn’t mess around with installation
Full Story
We’re a Northern Virginia construction and remodeling company that specializes in unique and functional design,... Read More
Blue Isle Granite & Tile specializes in Custom Countertops for your Kitchen, Bathroom & Bar Top. We focus on the... Read More