Are stores getting carried away with reserved parking spots?

functionthenlook

Reserved spots I seen last time I was at shopping complex: Handicapped, pregnant women and mothers with young children , veterans, picking up orders in the store, electric cars, employee of the month, and law enforcement partners. Legally we can park in any spots except for handicapped, but I don't. I just wouldn't feel right. I certainly would not park in a handicapped spot and I get mad when I see a car parked in one that doesn't have a handicapped place card or plate. Do you think the stores are going to far with all these special reserved parking spots? Maybe a discount should be more appropriate if they really cared. Is it all for show?

SaveComment53Like
Comments (53)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terilyn

I definitely think they are getting out of hand.

1 Like Save     Thanked by functionthenlook
maifleur01

Around here it is to show that certain groups who have asked for designated parking spaces have one. There is one veteran parking space at the grocery that I normally shop at. That is just a feel good parking space as there are so many veterans in this area that they could designate 1/3-1/2 of all of the parking spaces to veterans. What that store and others have done is make the handicap spaces smaller or simply removed some. Even the Y had a parking space of expectant mothers. Yes A parking space not enough for the mothers bringing their children for activities who are pregnant.

Save     Thanked by functionthenlook
watchmelol

The ONLY reserved spots should be for the handicapped, those with disabilities. Being pregnant, having kids, having served etc. are not disabilities. A disabled vet can get a handicapped placard, a woman who is experiencing a disabling pregnancy can get a temporary card. But this BS about everyone being special is ridiculous.

I also don't mind charging stations for electric cars. However special spaces for "low emission vehicles" is insanity.

19 Likes Save     Thanked by functionthenlook
Kathsgrdn

It's getting crazy. Some stores those spots are empty 99% of the time and so you have to park a mile away and hobble to store. (bad ankle-lol)

3 Likes Save     Thanked by functionthenlook
amylou321

Meh. I don't know. One of our local stores has the standard handicapped spots and a couple for "Wounded Heroes." I have also seen the ones for pregnant women and the mothers with children ones. I guess if THEY feel that something is worthy of a closer parking spot, who am I to argue? Its not a big deal to me at all. Let em have the spot. The pickup spots make sense. Especially if its a store that delivers to your car. Its likely safer and easier for the employees doing so to be close to the building when they are walking up to a strangers car.

I tend to park further away from the door and always have. I have no problem walking for heavens sake, and feel that I should be grateful that i can still do so without pain or difficulty. Many people cannot. I never understood the whole driving around the parking lot for twenty minutes waiting for someone to move their car to save yourself 100 steps or so. Sometimes even less than that. I am in the store with a bunch of stuff already and i walked from the very back of the parking lot, and they are still circling the lot. Tee Hee!

I do disagree with some things that qualify as a disability now, (such as those that are entirely self imposed-pregnancy and extreme obesity being of that list) but again, NOT my business. You can't tell what someone struggles with just by looking at them anyway. I'll walk and get the steps on my fitbit. Plus there's less chance of some idiot ramming a cart in to my car.

Walk as much as you can while you still can, and be thankful that you can, is my feeling. And feel for those who can't.

11 Likes Save     Thanked by functionthenlook
functionthenlook

The electric cars parking spots bug me. I never seen a parking spot where I can get free gas for my car. Its free electricity for the car owner and I'm sure the cost is tacked on to the merchandise. So the consumer is paying for fuel for someone else's car.

1 Like Save    
Sammy

I remember the first time I saw a sign that said PARKING FOR FUEL EFFICIENT CARS ONLY. I parked my Yukon Denali XL (the GMC version of a Chevy Suburban) in that spot.

Edited to add that this “preferred” parking space was at a Best Buy in my city, and it was years ago.

7 Likes Save     Thanked by functionthenlook
maifleur01

I have not seen a parking place for an electric vehicle other than the ones where they are fueled. If those are the spaces some above are posting about here at least you have to pay to be fueled.

Lucille

I don't have a car and do much of my shopping online. I think parking problems are a tempest in a teacup, gasoline cars and brick and mortar stores will be quaint curiosities in the not-too-distant-future.

Chi

I don't mind the ones for pregnancy/parents with children. All the parking lots around here are soooooo busy and with plenty of distracted and impatient drivers that I don't mind small efforts to keep the little ones safer.

functionthenlook

Maifleur, ours are in a shopping mall parking lot and the electric is free.

1 Like Save    
maifleur01

Here you have to pay the same rate as you would if you connected at home. Swipe your card or put a code in.

Edited to add that you would need to select some type of electric car to see what the fee is. Some have a fee others do not. https://kcpl.chargepoint.com/charge_point

lisa_fla

I have no problem walking across a parking lot, even when it’s in the 90’s. I didn’t use the pregnant spots back in the day. It’s not a handicap and walking is good for you. Our Walmart pick up spots aren’t close to the entrance taking up prime spots. There is a special door employees use to bring orders out. They need those spots so they aren’t hunting around for the car! Our BJ’s must have over a dozen handicapped spots. It seems like a lot, but I’m glad I don’t need one. I don’t mind military getting a better spot either. Thank you for your service! I guess I’m pretty agreeable.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by functionthenlook
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

Goodness, I worked, on my feet for 12 hours, lifting and moving patients and equipment right up to the day I went into labor. As did my coworkers when they were expecting. And my parking spot was a good quarter mile from my department. WIsh I had known that pregnancy should entitle me to a closer parking spot (at the very least!) LOL!

4 Likes Save     Thanked by functionthenlook
Texas_Gem

I was stopped by a manager at my local grocery store when I was carrying a 50 lb bag of dog food on my shoulder while 7 months pregnant. He insisted on carrying the bag for me. I found it kind of silly, as I was perfectly capable of doing manual labor, what do you think I was doing at home every day with a toddler?? Lol

That said, when I had my 3rd, and had to go to that same store with my 4 year old, 2 year old who was recently burned, and my newborn, I was grateful for and did utilize the parking for new mom's.

I've never minded those particular spots, but they are only at a few local stores and only 1 spot in the each lot is reserved for expectant/new mom's that I've ever seen.

We don't have spots for vets, fuel efficient or electric cars.

blfenton

I've never seen any reserved spots except for handicapped.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by functionthenlook
Martha Scott

When parking, EVERYONE wants to be handicapped!

2 Likes Save     Thanked by functionthenlook
bpath Oh Sophie

Frankly, I think that when you hit the 9th month, you should be eligible for a placard that is good for 2.5 months. You don’t have to use it if you feel up to walking, but if you get bouts of sciatica or other debilitating pain, and of course those early days after delivery, well, it‘d be nice. Again, you don’t have to use it, but you might need it. 2.5 months. I think that’s fair :)

Here is something I learned: I took my mother to the grocery store. I dropped her and her walker at the door, got her seated on a bench, then parked in the handicap space with her placard hanging from the mirror. A police office stopped and said I can’t do that. I said, but she can’t walk this far (we use the courtesy wheelchair in the store) and I can’t leave her alone for long if I park at the far end of the full lot (dementia). Well, it doesn’t matter, I don’t qualify for the placard so I can’t park there. I can see that, but still, it can put some caregivers in a difficult position.

After we went shopping, we drove down to the salon in the same shopping center. I have to park in front of the salon, and the staff is so nice: someone always comes out to help Mom into the salon while I park. Well, the police officer was there to tell me I can’t park in front of the doors, when we were clearly assisting her. Sheesh. The car was running, the flashers going, and the trunk was open to get the walker out.

Sammy

I found a picture of the Best Buy sign on the web. Apparently they’re at several, if not all, locations:

watchmelol

Well considering California's standards as compared to the rest of the US I figure anything we drive here is fuel efficient, relatively speaking. LOL

watchmelol

bpath Oh Sophie That sounds like rent a cop/parking enforcement mentality. I had a similar situation happen some years back dropping a friend off at her home. There was no street parking available so I pulled across the side walk in her driveway. It was late at night. She was in a wheelchair. As I got out to get it some parking enforcement guy stopped behind me and shone a spotlight on us. I approached him and asked him what the hell he was doing. Idiot yelled at me to move my car. I told him to go pound sand. When he saw I wasn't about to be intimidated he left.

lily316

Handicapped, yes, definitely although I do find it odd that there are three spaces at my gym. But pregnant women's spaces? That's crazy. When I was pregnant I walked miles and miles every day.

graywings123

Bpath, that's outrageous. I would have dared him to write a ticket.

aok27502

I've thought this for a long time. Handicapped, yes. Vet parking is just for show. A truly wounded warrior can park in the handicapped spots. Pick up? If I buy it there, I have to walk to my car. Moms? Once the kid is in the cart, what does a few spaces matter? And it's probably safer further out, where others aren't jostling for the one empty space.

I also park further out. Hmm, maybe the free gas pumps are all the way at the back?

arcy_gw

You for got "senior citizen", of which I am one--depending on the store hahahaha. I have no issue parking anywhere I want--other than the "handicapped", rearguard-less of these reserved signs. All those labeled spots are RARELY used, always empty and it is just dumb to save them just to collect the empty carts no one wants to return to the store or corral. I have never left with the feeling someone in special circumstance had a tougher park because I used one of the MANY reserved. I wonder if I would take the last one--it's never been a thing so doubt I will ever know.Also most of the time I am shopping when few are--so there's that.

Michael

I walk a long distance to the door because I don't want some inconsiderate person creating dings on my car.

I complained to our Kroger manager when they moved the disabled parking spots to make room for the online order pick ups. He made it right.

WalMart offers parking for electric cars and charges a fee for the service.

Home Depot has reserved parking for disabled veterans. Usually empty.

BTW, if you're a military veteran or active duty, Amazon Prime is offering a $40 discount on new membership and renewals through 11/11.

Elizabeth

I rarely use the senior parking at my grocery store. They are the 8 spaces nearest the main doors. More spaces than they have for Handicapped which are further out. Though in poor weather, I like to park closer to the door, don't we all? I am grateful I am healthy enough to walk the length of the parking lot, not put out.

rob333 (zone 7a)

Eh, I can walk. After all, won't I be walking around in the store?

Uptown Gal

Only solution, as I see it...shop somewhere else if it really bothers you. They

are telling you...."my game... my rules", I guess.

socks

How about “employee of the month?“

The only thing that irks me a bit is when store employees take all the close parking places.

OutsidePlaying

It really seemed to get out of control at Target, but then they took out some of the pick up only spaces. I guess customers complained. I dont see many charging stations around here. Mostly we see those at hotels when we are traveling which I understand and those are out of the way.

There is a huge military veteran community here so yes, there are some of those but not many. Lowe’s and HD have a couple for wounded veterans I think. Publix did have a couple for pregnant moms for a long time but I think they have been removed. I am among those who prefer to park well away from everyone else and walk. I’d rather get the little bit of movement plus avoid the door dings and a little more safety getting out of the parking space.

The biggest group is handicapped, and man is there ever a fight for those. I see people stalking the lot for one. When they get out of their car, I wonder why they just didn’t take the non-handicapped spot two spaces away and park. About half of the people I see look able to negotiate a short parking lot to me. And yes, I know there are ‘invisible’ handicaps, so no snide remarks please. I’m not talking a quarter of a mile walk here.

nickel_kg

I like Amy's post & attitude.

Store lots don't bother me, but I used to giggle at the work parking lot, where numbered spots were reserved for the #1 boss and his/her deputy, then they added more for the next level of management, then the next level of management, etc. It was a purely a status marker because for half those people, there were spots that would have been closer to other doors. But they all wanted to park near the big boss. LOL.

Lukki Irish

I don’t usually mind parking and walking either, except when there’s crappy weather outside. Try walking a very large parking lot in 20 degree weather on a windy day. That’s when I find reserved parking spaces to be ridiculously inconsiderate towards customers who are just the average Joe; especially when they sit there empty.

Then there are people like my DH who struggle physically and benefit from closer parking but for whatever their reason don’t want to use a handicap sticker.

adellabedella_usa

I like to park nearer the back of the lot so I can park without getting dinged.

I've found that the parking in most lots is inefficient or awkward. There are several parking lots I would like to redesign. Handicap parking is often smack dab in the way of easy access to the store. I think it would work better moved over to one side of he store with an entrance made more accessible from that direction. Most main entrance/exit into the store could be better designed. There is no reason for cars to be routed immediately in front where people are walking in and out. If someone has a loading issue, it could be done off to the side.

gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I'm kind of surprised by this. I have only seen designated handicapped parking and at a handful of places - not many - recharging stations for electric cars. And the reservation facilities do have reserved slots for tribal elders. Order pick-up slots at stores around here are not near other parking so I don't count that. I have no issues with any of these but I think the others listed are taking things a bit too far!

As far as the handicapped slots are concerned, as long as they have a proper placard or HC plates, I don't care who gets out of the car, whether they look handicapped or not. From personal experience I know that many who qualify for these are unable to drive themselves so their caregiver or a family member - usually quite fit - drives them to appointments and errands. I don't see that having a fit driver should make any difference.......the designated slots are for the convenience of the placard holder/handicapped person, regardless of who drove them there! And very few stores around here have 'loading zones' where dropping off or picking up the disabled person could be done safely and comfortably.

nicole___

" Walk as much as you can while you still can, and be thankful that you can, is my feeling. And feel for those who can't. " I agree!

I DO notice all those empty spots tho. People at Home Depot often park in front of the doors, in the LOADING ONLY ZONE, then it's FULL & I can't load my truck up.

georgysmom2

I want one for grey-haired ladies over 80! On the other hand, it would probably always be taken! I'm glad to hear some of you don't feel guilty about using the "Mom's with small children" one. One day I was going to my Gyn and there was an empty "Mom's" space. My back was hurting and my knee was hurting, so I figured since it was an OB-Gyn office, no-one would know. I did feel momentary guilt, but then again, I had four children and no special parking space so I decided to make it retroactive. :-))))

10 Likes Save     Thanked by functionthenlook
pudgeder

Best Buy-- "specialized" parking space, just another reason not to shop there for me.

Save    
functionthenlook

Who us a specialized parking space for?

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"The electric cars parking spots bug me. I never seen a parking spot where I can get free gas for my car. Its free electricity for the car owner and I'm sure the cost is tacked on to the merchandise. So the consumer is paying for fuel for someone else's car."

I go to Bed Bath and Beyond and buy something for $40. You walk in with a coupon and buy the same thing for $30. I don't bother with coupons. Am I paying for your item by paying more for mine? Should I be upset with you or the store?

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Here's a way to not miss the forest for the trees:

Bricks and mortar retailers are struggling with internet sales. The grocery segment does too to an extent but even in populated areas with active grocery markets, intense competition keeps margins low.

So how to attract customers? Use any gimmick that might work. Weekly Ads. Special coupons. Have special reserved spots for left handed people. Or those with freckles. Or whatever. Cause some buzz, attract attention, bring in customers you maybe wouldn't have.

That's why. Don't take it too seriously.

Save    
share_oh

Nicole, my dh has that same gripe! He tries to park in the contractor spots because he's doing contracting work... and most of the time the spots are filled. He'll see some later getting in their cars and it's obvious they aren't contractors. Then his bigger peeve is the ones who sit in their cars talking on their phones instead of driving off... and of course the ones who block the area so he can't load his truck.

I dread the weekends if he has to go to HD... guaranteed headaches!

Lindsey_CA

My primary care physician, my husband's primary care physician (different PCP than mine), and our dentist are all in the same medical building. It is a multi-story building built into a hill. There is parking and an entry door that are actually on the second level, although from that point of view it appears to be ground level. Continue down the hill and around the side, and there is a lot more parking, and another entry door. This is actually Level 1.

There are probably 15 or 20 handicap parking spaces along the side of Level 1. When you enter the building on Level 1, there is a large, deep, foyer leading to a large waiting area. There is a hallway leading to medical offices on that level. On the far side of the waiting area there is an elevator to take folks to the upper levels.

If you enter through the door on Level 2, you enter into a small foyer. Just a few steps directly forward will put you at the elevator. A doorway to the right of the elevator leads to a hallway that goes to medical offices on that floor. The higher floors are the same as level 2, with the exception of not having an entry door from the outside.

The parking spaces nearest the entry door on Level 2 all have reserved signs - but they are reserved for Veterans. There are no handicap parking spaces anywhere in the vicinity of the Level 2 entry, or anywhere in the Level 2 parking -- except for the parking for the next building!

Yes, I have a handicap parking placard. I qualify for it for a number of medical reasons. And it bugs me that in order to park in a handicap parking spot I have to go down to the Level 1 parking and then have a longer walk from the parking spot to the entry door, then a long walk through the foyer and waiting area to get to the elevator than I would have if I parked in one of the Veterans spots in front of the Level 2 entry. (Walking is an issue for me, for medical reasons - not because I don't like to walk.)

I have an appointment in that building in December. I think I may park in a Veterans spot on Level 2.

Save    
littlebug zone 5 Missouri

Here’s what bugs me: my neighbor, where I used to live, is the principal in a small CPA firm in our small town. The office is on Main Street. He parks in front of the front door, on the street! I think this is moronic. Two reasons - he drives a big vehicle and effectively hides his business and signage from view, and why doesn’t he let a customer park right there? He’s going to be there all day, after all.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

littlebug, with no attempt to disguise what my experiences have been, no profession's best and brightest tend to work in small towns with limited business potential. Bigger practices in more populated areas offer much more opportunity (both financially as well as professionally) but also have higher demands for competence. I'm not going to say that all professionals in small town settings are on the lower end of capabilities and smarts compared to their peers but they're rarely on the upper end. A business person with at least some sense, however limited, would be attuned to not only what attracts customers but also what discourages them from coming in the door. If this person is lacking that sense for things so obvious to you, why would anyone want to hire them to give advice?

Save    
Debby

It doesn't bother me at all. I usually park at the back of the parking lot anyway. It's easier to find a spot. I can usually drive straight through so I don't have to back out. And it gives me a more steps on my watch at the end of the day. It's just a pain when it's really cold or raining............

Save    
Rusty

The only thing that bothers me is a vehicle in a handicapped spot that doesn't have the placard or the handicapped license plate. Before walking was a big problem for me, I olten, weather permitting, parked far from the door to the store. Now I do use the handicap spaces of they're available. It they're not, I try to park near one of the cart corrals, or near a spot where someone has left a cart. I can walk pretty good holding on to a cart!

I've never noticed a spot reserved for electric or fuel efficient vehicles. I fully support reserved spots for wounded warriors and veterans alike. These people put their lives on the line for our country, and they deserve some recognition and appreciation.

I don't think stores are getting 'carried away', they are doing what they feel will help their business. If it's that bothersome, shop somewhere else.

I have seen medical facilities with poorly planned reserved parking areas. I would expect them to put more thought into it.

Rusty

Save    
Lindsey_CA

The spots reserved for veterans at the medical building where our doctors and dentist are, do not say they are reserved for wounded vets. They just say they are reserved for vets. I am not denigrating vets at all - my father was career Army and fought in WWII. But there *are* some vets who spent their entire 2-year stint at a desk job, or playing in the military band. That's quite different from putting their life on the line for our freedom.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Reserving parking spots for vets is emotional pandering in my mind, not just to the vets but to the many overpatriotic types in our communities who happen upon such signs. It's not necessary.

A large percentage of vets alive today served involuntarily (Draftees of the 50s and 60s and Vietnam era draftees). So what are we thanking them for, for not going AWOL or fleeing to Canada?

In any war, the number of non-combat slots exceed combat slots by something like 2 or 3 to 1 or more. In my mind, those in circumstances where they could be shot at or otherwise in danger from enemy contact weren't smart enough to do a better job of looking out for their own safety.

Too many veterans experienced needless risk (and too many troops needlessly died) because of being political pawns, being sent to situations and to do things that in the greater scheme of things we had no need and no business doing. That's been the history of US military use since WWII and continues to this day.

Yes, I'm a veteran, I volunteered (to escape the draft) for a guaranteed safe military spot to avoid personal jeopardy. Don't look for me in any parades on Monday, I won't be in any. I feel the same way about those as about the parking spaces.

2 Likes Save    
Lukki Irish

“The majority of vets alive today served involuntarily (Vietnam era draftees). So what are we thanking them for, for not going AWOL or fleeing to Canada?”

It really doesn’t matter whether someone was drafted or not, from my perspective it’s the fact that they served this country and didn’t pull a “Trump” that matters.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

If you want to think about the heroes of the Vietnam era, we shouldn't forget the role of the brave reporters and other media folks who voluntarily put themselves in harm's way to seek out and report the truth that contradicted the lies coming from the US government. And the bravery of anti-war protesters nationwide who raised awareness of the realities of what was happening so that support for the war couldn't continue.

When and how are these brave people honored? They did much more for the country than the sheep who were slaughtered or nearly and also those whose lives were ruined because of their passive compliance.

Sorry, it's off topic, but this is a hot button for me. The blind veneration for "veterans" that some have is so misplaced. Many have chosen the military voluntarily and for them, it's a government job like any other. We don't have a "Tax Collectors' Day" or "District Attorney Day', or "State Highway Workers' Day". Arguably police and fire personnel take more daily risks than those in the military do and do far more for the public than the military does and we hardly honor them at all.

3 Likes Save    
Lukki Irish

There are a lot of silent hero’s and the news media is certainly due that acknowledgement, I don’t disagree at all. Even with current events if it weren’t for the dedication and tenacity of the news media, we’d all be in the dark about most current events.

Save    
cynic

Yes it's getting out of hand. One store chain here has the electric hookups but I don't think they charge (no pun intended) for them. But I say, why not put them at the other end of the parking lot? If you're getting free fuel, isn't it fair to walk a little more? Same thing with grocery pickup. You don't need to be next to the store to sit in your car and have your groceries loaded for you. The store could provide a golf cart for the employees to bring them to you if they are unable to push a cart across the lot. Several stores around here put grocery pickup around the side or in the back of the building which is a better spot for it. And this isn't popular when I express it, I don't think it's right that people in wheelchairs take the closest spots. If they're alone, they're riding, not walking. To ride a little farther isn't a big expectation compared to someone who has trouble walking having to walk. If someone is being pushed in the wheelchair, even more reason to not take the closest spots. At least show the courtesy to park in the "farther" handicapped spots if it's needed. Even with my walking limitations, when with a wheelchair bound friend we parked away and used his wheelchair. For me? I could hold onto the wheelchair and balance myself so it's not as bad. And I get very annoyed when someone drops someone off and has the audacity to take a handicapped spot, then go pick them up again. It IS illegal here and should be enforced. Yes I know people will rant and rave I'm so "insensitive" or whatever but when I walk by someone in a wheelchair and I'm hobbling on a pair of canes I wonder who is REALLY insensitive. And don't even try saying it's a "safety" issue. That dog won't fly. My opinion, yours may vary.

So much of this is "feelgood" stuff. The fad now is overreacting to vets, and the feel sorry for the poor preggo. The employee of the month would much more prefer a cash bonus to a parking spot which is probably getting them humiliation in the store anyway. Having to assign spots for cops just tells me it's a high crime area. Most cops park in the fire lane. Ask the fire department how they feel about that!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Vintage Style Get Away From It All in a Glamper
A glammed-up camper can transport you to a happy place, whether in your yard or on the highway
Full Story
Green Get a Soft Spot for Sea-Glass Green
Soften a room's look by washing its walls in this delightfully airy shade, no sand in your shoes required
Full Story
Eclectic Homes My Houzz: Traveling Couple Find the Perfect Parking Spot
A dilapidated tin shed becomes the dream home of two nature-loving retirees and their many treasures
Full Story
Crystal Blue Aquatics LLC. is a family owned and operated swimming pool company, built on 25 years of experience... Read More